The BMI of Anime Girls

chubby-sakurai-rihoko-by-ueyama-michirou.jpg

Anime fans have been pondering the weight and Body Mass Index of their favourite anime heroines, or put more bluntly: “Why is Mio such a fatty?”

Body Mass Index (weight (kg) divided by height (m) squared) is a simple measure designed to establish whether an individual is unhealthily underweight, overweight or obese.

The WHO considers a value of 25-30 as overweight, and any higher as obese, although the simplistic nature of the formula and arbitrariness of the classifications has resulted in much scientific criticism and doubts over its general validity.

The usual Japanese interpretation of BMI, taking into account the smaller frame of the Japanese:

Normal: from 18.5 to 22.9
Overweight: from 23.0 to 24.9
Obese: 25.0 and above

The BMI of various anime characters, with underweight characters in red and the overweight in orange:

Name Height (cm) Weight (kg) BMI
Sheryl 169 64 22.4
Miyuki 166 62 22.5
Miyako 165 62 22.8
Sae 167 64 22.9
Yuno 144 52 25.1
Ika Musume 135 100 54.9

That such tiny tsundere waifs as Louise and Taiga are amongst the most lightly built should come as no surprise, but that virtually the entire female cast of Ore no Imouto and Railgun are apparently underweight is rather disturbing – a few of them look to be naturally skinny, but the rest seem more likely to be anorexic.

Miku too is rather on the light side, as perhaps befits a hologram.

On the other hand, the girls of K-ON! stand out for having both full figures and healthy bodyweight, even being realistically proportioned – probably something Kyoto Animation intended, and certainly something it deserves credit for.

Ika Musume’s weight is speculated to be as a result of her healthy head of tentacles – as a humanoid cephalopod, the BMI is likely not in any case an appropriate tool for establishing her optimal weight.

2ch ponders the results:

Don’t those Ore no Imouto designers comprehend the sexiness of the chubby legs of K-ON! characters!?

54kg is pretty plump, nice.

Are Mio’s breasts alone 10kg of that?

They carry the weight of our dreams so they are bound to be heavy.

160cm and 54kg – isn’t that a fatty? So says my mother…

I think 46-52kg is normal at that height. At 54kg, perhaps she’s a bit ripped.

K-ON!’s weights are a bit weird.

mio.jpg

Maybe Mio’s hair weighs 2-3kg…

What about Kuroneko – she’s nothing but skin and bones!

She’s tall too!

At 160cm and 43kg I’d be worried about whether she’s being neglected by her parents…

If you actually saw her weighing so little it would probably look gross.

Mio’s a fatty, Kuroneko’s anorexic. The ideal at that height is 47-48kg.

Yunocchi’s a little pig.

Yunocchi’s just got a huge head.

Kirino is a 2nd year middle-schooler and she’s 165cm? What a beanpole.

Sheryl’s fatter than me. I still love her though.

All you hobbits under 169cm are banned from liking Sheryl now.

I’m 173cm and 42kg, for a BMI of 14.03… I guess I win!

Go to hospital you freak.

Yuno’s an overweight kid. Weep you moetards.

Sheryl weighs 10kg more than I do, but that’s OK!

Taiga’s just gross. What is she, a dwarf?

Sagat: 226cm, 78kg, BMI 15.27.

If the sales of K-ON! are anything to go by, anime prducers might do well to feature more curvy girls…

plump-arima-senne-by-kashiwamochi-yomogi.jpg

16:33 27/12/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

The healthy normal BMI range I found for Asians are 18.5 to 22.9, any higher than 22.9 and it is considered overweight or obese. Any less than 18.5 and its underweight and a little malnourished. Personally I don't care about BMI ranges, Just reach a weight that looks good on you. Everyone Different.

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    19:58 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Thank You!...

I don't even really understand why anyone is that concerned about BMI, there has got to be better methods for determining weight I mean really...

16:08 27/12/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

"They carry the weight
    of our dreams so they are
    bound to be heavy"

LOL to this almost haiku!

Comment by Rick
    16:11 27/12/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Wolfwood hands Vash a loli, her arms stiffly outstretched to imitate a cross.

"It's heavy."

"That's because it's full of loli."

Comment by vault2049
    14:55 27/12/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

WTF!? Ranka and Kagami fatter than Saten... Saten lighter than Konata, Shana and Kuroko. Something's wrong here, very wrong.

Comment by Artefact

Saten appears to be a bit of a freak, storing 90% of her body fat in her breasts like that.

Comment by vault2049
    02:38 28/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It has to be that lol. There is no other possible explanation.

Comment by Palmtop Tiger
    14:49 27/12/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Of course lolis are light, the better to sweep them off their feet.

Comment by wargalley20011

Pedobear get out of here!

15:26 27/12/2010 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

Pedos should die fast and easy! D:

15:42 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.8)

After you, friend.

Comment by loli in a box
    14:53 27/12/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

"are apparently underweight is rather disturbing... rest seem more likely to be anorexic."

Nope.
    They are fine they way they are and we love them just like that.

17:29 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.8)

People, take it from a girl, those measurements are rare at best, realistically they're just "ideal, made-up, and have little to do with how the character is portrayed".

The greatest majority of girls with a BMI of 16 will look like crap. And the greatest majority of girls of BMI 24+ will look very plump.

For normal 3D, with proper amounts of exercise, a BMI of 17-22 ensures a flat stomach, and a nice tight body. I know many girls who feel best at about a BMI of 19.

The morons who say a 166 54 kg girl is fat are virgins who have never gotten anywhere close to a real life female. I have 166 52 kg and I'm very skinny, I've even been accused of being anorexic.

Comment by washuotaku
    15:29 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.7)

BMI is completely unrealistic since it ignores frame size and muscularity. This is why all professional athletes that have little fat are still considered overweight or obese simply by frame size/muscle weight.

Comment by Purple Mage
    04:03 28/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

BMI is inaccurate for judging individual health.
    It's intended to get a shot gun sample of a large group to see if they're malnourished which is what the WHO uses it for.
    They see a large number of below 17.5s and say there is malnutrition here.
    It's only based on arbitrary ranges vs scientific.
    Most good doctors will tell you to use FFMI for individuals as BMI does not discriminate between fat and muscle and muscle is almost twice as dense.
    It also ignores limb length to torso length ratios.

Konata's number being slightly high is accurate as she's in shape muscle weighs more.

15:44 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Agreed, I'm 178cm and weigh 95kg, but only have 2% body fat, yet somehow I always made (by the military) to go for weight loss/fitness training...

Sucks to be classified with the fatties...

Anyway how would anime guys fare? I'd think anyone drawn by CLAMP would fall in the sub-17 BMI while Kenshiro, Guts and Dio Brando would be around the 25-35 region..

Comment by Sailor Sexy
    15:53 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

2% body fat eh? Right. Males require at least 3% body fat to properly function, and the average male has around 10%. But hey, if you wanna claim 2%, you have at it.

Comment by Rick
    16:09 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

My brother had 2% body fat when he was in training.

Also bear in mind that body fat measurements are most accurate when a water-immersed weighing is done. More convenient methods that use pincers or electronic signals are less accurate.

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    19:36 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, BMI is not the best way to determine if someone is obese, over or under weight...

Whatever, that Mio's proportions are just outstanding in that pic I know that much...

Comment by loli in a box
    15:00 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.7)

"If the sales of K-ON! are anything to go by, anime prducers might do well to feature more curvy girls"

Then why are the most popular heroines always the lolis?

Comment by alex251
    19:58 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

lol, that's a good point

03:25 28/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Because you guys are pedoes, that's why. You don't like curvy girls, cause they start looking like WOMEN - the ones you hate and are probably most afraid of.

10:49 30/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i'm a curvy girl and i like lolis~ your argument is invalid!

15:43 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Why so Serious. :)

Comment by SnooSnoo
    14:56 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

I always found character stats like height, weight and three sizes hilarious when the animators can't even get proportions right.

Comment by RedRaine
    16:25 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

NAGATOOOOOOO!

Knew she was perfect.

18:20 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

it's not about the total mass, it's where they are properly distributed , Mio is perfect , I don't like bony girls

Comment by Aqualung25
    18:31 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

you f'ing said it bro, No Bone Chicks

Comment by Purple Mage
    04:16 28/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mio is indeed perfect and Konata is the only loli for me.

Comment by Aqualung25
    15:35 28/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Amen......now pass the lotion

18:34 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

But BMI is junk science from the 1830s and it wasn't even invented by a doctor.
    In short it's a worthless number.
    The real indicator of health is the body fat to muscle ratio.

18:47 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Science will happily accept BMI as a measure as long as it is easy to measure. You dont use a caliper when a ruler suffices, especially since precise data tends to be expensive.

18:48 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

fuck, missed the "If your comment fails to display immediately, please do not worry - it should appear shortly." ignore

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    20:09 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

The annoying thing about that is if you want to edit your comment, it most likely won't appear in time for you to do so...

18:44 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, science will happily accept an indicator as simple as the BMI as long as it's easy and cheap to calculate. You don't use a caliper when a ruler suffices.

Comment by Usagi-sempai
    18:42 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Healthy girls ftw! :3 2d girls seem to be have very inaccurate measurements for the charcter's figure a lot of the time. How are girls so short with huge boobs and tiny waists? I doesn't make sense to me. I know Japanese girls are generally shorter and thinner, but in anime does that really apply the same way? I know it's idealized, but come on. There's never any love for the tall girls that are normal to plump. In fact plumper girls seem to no where to be found in most anime and the tall girls are usually very slender. They need moar love I tell you. :<

Comment by Actar
    16:30 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

It's precisely this obsessiveness that I love. (^o^) So heartwarming to see so many of my favorite characters in the list.

...and by Yuno, I suspect Yuno Scrya from Nanoha?

05:03 28/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It stated 144cm instead of 30cm, so Nope; it's Yuno from Hidamari Sketch.

Comment by tessa
    16:36 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

we are not talking about real life sooooo

16:34 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I once knew a girl who was about 155cm and weighed about 39kg, really skinny to the point where my thigh was wider than her waist. Anyway she had to get medical help as her extremely low weight was messing up her normal bodily functions. And no, there was nothing attractive about girls who are that bone thin...

17:08 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Sheryl: Nearly same height and weight as me. Horray!

16:08 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I love how Hiro fares the best of the Hidamari girls on this. If only she knew, eh?

02:18 28/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

my sister is 163cm and her weight is 56kg. it's nowhere near being fat. she once weighed 50 and she looked like she was skin and bones. well, they've probably never seen a real girl in their lives so they can't judge.

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    20:15 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

BMI has no real purpose to me, I just don't see why it is even used, don't they have better options? Just saying...

I will say this though, that Mio pic is outstanding & no woman should be concerned with their BMI as it doesn't really matter to men imo...

14:57 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

MIO is the perfect height and weight, the others are either too skinny or too fat...

Comment by Purple Mage
    03:32 28/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree Mio is the hottest of the K-On girls I also like Mugi.

Comment by Gary
    14:59 27/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Yuno's just getting ready to hit her growth spirt. She's a growing girl... Unfortunately.

Comment by Mechta
    18:53 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Fortunately. :]

Comment by Nameless
    20:28 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I find it hard to believe that Yuno's BMI is actually higher than mine ._.
    She has such a nice figure in the Anime :o

23:54 27/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

The whole BMI thing is stupid anyway. It doesn't take into account muscle mass. Muscle is far heavier than fat. I'm about 5ft9in and my BMI is about 31, and I'm not obese in the slightest! Or overwieght for that matter. I just have more muscle mass than most (Arnold Schwarzenegger would most likely have been obese back in his muscle-building days).