Wada: “We’re So Bad We’ll Have To Rebuild Our Brands”

yoichi-wada.jpg

Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada has said that he regrets letting all Square Enix’s games get so “sloppy,” and says the company will have to rebuild them all as a result.

He had this to say at a recent press conference:

“We have to reconstruct all our brands again, and make them into something perfect. I regret the fact that we let them all get so sloppy.”

Whether Wada and company are in any position to actually do this seems doubtful.

Square Enix’s stock prices are now at a 10-year low following a drop of over 10% after they revised their estimated profits down 90%:

square-enix-stock.gif

Comment by DFC
    01:16 20/12/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

The first step to improvement is realising their own mistakes, I guess we could look forward to better games from them in the future.

Comment by El Chaos
    02:04 20/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

The next step is to address the issues... they still don't know what they are, and most probably never will.

They haven't kicked Motomu Toriyama's ass out of the company, they haven't called back Masato Kato (the guy behind the cool story bits in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII and the entirety of Chrono Cross... well, the latter was admittedly giving him way too much reign over a product) or Yasumi Matsuno. they still design their games around fucking bloat instead of making them be as tight and fun as possible (because, as cool as some of their games' stories may be, they certainly aren't steadily fun experiences due to loads of bloat that only a kid or a teenager with too much free time can put up with, and the console JRPG novelty that attracted so many of those back in 1997 has most definitely worn off).

So yeah, it's either being bought by some other holding, or bust.

07:04 31/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck you, buddeh.

If you call 'getting my money's worth' and having a decent length game 'bloat', and 'something only a kid or teenager has time for', then why don't you go pick up a nice, lightweight novel and leave my games the fuck alone.

02:08 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm especially aching about Toriyama still sticking his ass in the company...

I'm really pissed about what he's making Aya Brea become in The Third Birthday.

02:21 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@POKI

By that virtue, I shouldn't have been pissed, because it's kinda a different game now, but GODDAMNIT... If you wanna make a new game, create new characters altogether! No need to screw over an already good character into becoming a cliche meek-minded woman due to 'amnesia'. GOD, that is the lamest plotline ever.

02:22 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Seriously. And it's not like they could have revived Parasite Eve properly without the key personnel that already left the company.

Parasite Eve, this is not.

Comment by POKI
    02:16 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it's no longer parasite eve... ;_;

01:59 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But they already did realise their mistake, they fired the company that made the last FF game... oh wait

Comment by perfectbloodhood
    01:15 20/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.7)

Nah, just "rebuild ff7 or ff8" , that will do for the masses

Comment by N.R.
    01:24 20/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

You sir deserve my vote for next president of Square Enix. A pitty SE doesn't understand the market as good as you do.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    02:18 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

+1vote from me

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    01:39 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

+1 vote from me

04:24 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

-1 from me . I want new games no a crappy remake . its the easiest way to do some money ,selling the same in a new package .

Comment by King Tiger
    12:26 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

how about a continuation of an already made title perhaps a return to spira with a "monster hunter twist?" or make a console version of dissida and thus add even MOAR characters into the mix?

or

you can rebuild FFXIV from the ground up by first dismantling it completely literately re-develop it from scratch/the ground up with literally EVERYTHING changed and finally RE-Titled to something else like Final Fantasy "frontier" or something because if you kept the XIV despite the total re-modeling you did people won't give it a second glance(anymore) so it needs a new "title"

just my opinion on the matter :)

Comment by lenyek_penyek
    06:12 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

unfortunately, some of the old games are far better than the new games today....IMO Final Fantasy are among them. Even I sometime use my computer to play some PS1 game via emulator.

Besides, its nostalgic to play the game, reminds me of my time in high school.

Comment by GuroFX
    04:06 20/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Vagrant Story remake and/or sequel and I'm sold.

10:04 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm 100% sure that won't be a success.

Comment by Imyou
    02:09 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, if they don't do it now, they'll never be desperate enough to do it! Somehow I think not having billions to blow on development might show them a way to do it in under 30 years...

Comment by Chen-04
    02:53 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hmmm... thinking about a remake of FF VII ... in 8 bit.

Comment by MikuMiku
    09:28 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Graphics where probably better too.

08:24 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

already been done

01:40 20/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

This website is retarded. Square Enix has done so many good games, and you guys are laughing at their downfall?

Comment by Nekomancer
    01:59 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't take few idiots as a majority here.

04:26 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Squaresoft yes but not square enix

SquareSoft has done many good games.
    Enix has done many good games.
    Square Enix has NOT done many good games.

I agree with you,fellow anon.The million dollar Question: is (+ve)X(+ve)=(-ve) nowadays?

I want to laugh at this, really.

Then again, aside from Valkyrie Profile 2, none of their games felt like it was worth my money. Then again, Valkyrie Profile series of games is a product of Tri-Ace, formerly under ENIX....

Comment by shoranhimura
    01:32 20/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

guys, remember the "why"s final fantasy was born..square was almost out of the league, almost going bankrupt and then they turned the tides and final fantasy, One of the most important rpg titles ever, was created...

If they did it once, they CAN do twice..the question is: are they willing to do?

Comment by POKI
    01:17 20/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

gimme my SquareSoft back nao!!!

02:22 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Your icon is making me think you're making a parody out of all the rage in here, lol.

05:29 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You're a retard, that's why.

15:06 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Face it, Squaresoft's never coming back...

Comment by Kitsunemimi6
    10:54 20/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Square Enix, for finally getting the hint that it is very well time to rebuild your brands...

There is still hope for them after all...

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    01:40 20/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

FF VII and FF VIII is enough for me

Comment by Zippydsmlee
    03:07 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

10 years to late.... also... they still the top average for the industry... so tell me whos to blame for buying all their crap?

05:31 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

What amazes me is that people are only just now figuring out that Squeenix makes terrible games. They've been making horrible titles since they came out with Final Fantasy VII and discovered they could get away with it.

10:40 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Seriously? Mmk...

Comment by Y10NRDY
    02:42 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Comment by Chen-04
    07:00 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No, admitting is just buying time. First step is doing something about it.

02:11 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Agito and Versus XIII will surely be the fabled return of Square quality. Those two titles will realize the need for the company to be rent from the hands of Wada and Kitase. In all of this hate, which is not unfounded, let's not overlook the quality titles SE has brought: KH II,358/2 days, Birth By Sleep, The World Ends With You, Crisis Core, and Dissidia. It's a lot more accurate to say that SE completely screwed over their console efforts (360 *cough*) and did not seek the level of advancement and quality that brought them notoriety in the first place. All hope lays in Versus now.

02:17 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wish I was there, so I can shout this to him.

"THEN GET TO WORK, FUCKERS!"

19:04 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Here is the regrettable truth.

Final Fantasy 7 was an excellent example of what happens when a decent - not amazing, as many seem to believe, but decent - RPG is made for a system whose technology is still being explored due to its recent foray into the market. Except for the cut-scenes, the game was unquestionably ugly...but it played fairly well and gave RPG fans the fix they had been waiting for since Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, and thus is was well-received. (It was also the start of the pointy-haired whiner as the protagonist.

Final Fantasy 8 was a game whose lesson was clearly not learned. The graphical upgrade from Final Fantasy 7 to Final Fantasy 8 is immediately apparent to anyone who has played both games, but everything else fell to pieces. From the mandatory and irritating card game to the system that punishes you for even dabbling in magic to the unlikeable characters (with one or two exceptions, neither being the protagonist), Final Fantasy 8 was a train wreck and should have taught Square Enix one key lesson: Pretty Is Not Enough.

Final Fantasy 9 was very much a reversal of the mistakes of Final Fantasy 8. While it may have lacked the stylistic charm of 8, it had decent graphics and a very inventive system. It was a return to the old days of Final Fantasy, but with the new innovations that had come throughout the series, along with some new ones and some VERY memorable characters. In my opinion, Final Fantasy 9 was one of the strongest Final Fantasy games. Unfortunately, it was coming off of the dismal failure of its predecessor, and thus never got the acclaim it deserves.

Final Fantasy 10 was, in a word, a very beautiful game. Regardless of what you may think of its gameplay - which I feel was well-executed, even though it did tend to pigeonhole the characters into various roles - it was a feast for the eyes and, on many occasions, ears. While the gameplay lacked the innovation of 9, it was still decent, and the open-ended nature of character advancement and myriad of unlockables combined with an interesting and unique story to produce a positive experience overall.

Final Fantasy 11 was a mistake. In a world that was already saturated with MMOs, Square Enix opted to release their own and ignore the 800-pound gorilla in the room named WoW. With game mechanics that failed to live up to standards set by earlier entries in the field and a poorly designed economy, it was never among the top three MMOs during its time, and has proven to be a venture that should have been eschewed in favor of Square Enix doing what it does best.

I can offer no informed opinions on entries after that, as I finally gave up on the series once the MMO was released. I have heard good things about Final Fantasy 12, poor things about Final Fantasy 13, and the reviews I've seen of Final Fantasy 14 are jaw-droppingly bad...so much so that I assumed that it had to be some kind of hoax, only to be disappointed.

I would like very much for Square Enix to pull themselves out of this hole and create the excellent games that I know they are capable of producing, but I am no fool: the brand "Final Fantasy" has been permanently ruined for a large portion of their target audience. Would it be better for them to try to salvage the brand or to start a new one? I don't have the marketing experience to offer a coherent opinion on that either, but I know this much: IF they have the chance to pull away from death, this is their last one.

Comment by a bag of shit
    04:28 22/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Final Fantasy 11 was out before World of Warcraft. It was still bad game, though.

FUCK FF6!Nobdy give a shiteee abt ff6(overated game of all time), FF7 4 life~

11:41 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This is what you get for kicking out Sakaguchi, Squeenix.

Serves you right.

01:58 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Now's the time to buy Square Enix stock.
    The stock is bound to go only up. They are far from dead: Deus Ex, FF Agito, Tomb Raider reboot coming next year, and I am sure they will have something else up their sleeve. Even if not, Eidos profits will keep them from death.

Comment by Johnny Nguyen
    01:15 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

So if we buy stock now for dirt cheap and they rebuild it according to plan we can make a killing.

Comment by Naga_Ten
    00:52 21/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I want Wada's fucking head on a silver platter. This guy should be forced to resign.

Seriously, we've all seen people in the game indutry being cut for way less than this ass-hat has pulled off.

Comment by Gekokujou
    08:40 21/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Join the club, it's not fair that others get laid off while he still bathes in the limelight.

Comment by Blue Dragon
    05:43 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I dearly love some of Square's games of old, so I wish them good fortune in their rebuilding.

08:49 20/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

so.... rebuild and repent? oh my at this rate they might come around again with some great games :D