Video Game Awards 2010: And The Winner Is…

moe-kratos-by-marsspider.jpg

The winners of the 2010 Spike Video Game Awards have been announced to much fanfare and plenty of juicy acrimony over who the winners are and why they are all so manly.

The results, with the winning candidate in bold:

Game of the Year:

Call of Duty: Black Ops
God of War III
Halo: Reach
Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption

Not a list likely to dispel any stereotypes about the tastes of American gamers.

Studio of the Year

BioWare
Blizzard Entertainment
Bungie Studios
Rockstar San Diego

BioWare are reportedly “streamlining” Dragon Age 2 to better cater to the needs of the mass market, much to the distress of many of their fans, so it will be interesting to see where they end up in 2011.

Best Xbox 360 Game

Alan Wake
Fable 3
Halo Reach
Mass Effect 2

There was no Gears game to put in the list so they chose the next best thing.

Best PS3 Game

God of War 3
Heavy Rain
ModNation Racers
Red Dead Redemption

God of War 3 seems likely to be remembered as the best PS3 game of all time.

Best Wii Game

Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby’s Epic Yarn
Metroid: Other M
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Somehow it is not surprising to see Mario dominating on a Nintendo platform.

Best PC Game

Fallout: New Vegas
Mass Effect 2
Civilization V
StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

Apparently it is possible to play games on a PC.

Best Handheld Game

God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Super Scribblenauts

Snake vs Kratos.

Best Shooter

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
BioShock 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Halo Reach

Zombies and Nazis in the same game – enough said.

Best Action/Adventure Game

Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
God of War 3
Red Dead Redemption
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Presumably they did not want to give too many awards to RDR.

Best RPG

Fable 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Final Fantasy XIII
Mass Effect 2

That Mass Effect 2 is still considered an RPG is something of a minor miracle in itself, particularly when it is BioWare claiming Final Fantasy XIII is not an RPG

Best Multiplayer

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Halo Reach
StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty

Multiplayer = FPS

Best Original Score

God of War 3
Halo Reach
Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption

RDR was the only one to include actual singing.

Best Graphics

God of War 3
Heavy Rain
Kirby’s Epic Yarn
Red Dead Redemption

Is it mere coincidence that three quarters of the candidates included sex scenes?

Most Anticipated Game

Batman: Arkham City
BioShock Infinite
Gears of War 3
Portal 2

Actually everyone is just waiting for the return of GLaDOS…

Japanese gamers can’t help but notice that the only Japanese title to win anything in the (admittedly American) list is Mario – it certainly has not been an exemplary year for Japanese developers, most of whom seem to have been reduced to fantasising about how they could make their own hit macho character.

Comment by redscarnova
    23:12 12/12/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

the list is fine by me
    though japanese games are better in general
    i.e. jrpg and eroges

Comment by Bigall
    23:06 12/12/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Why was FF13 running for best RPG?
    There are better J-RPGs that could have taken that place!

23:34 12/12/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Well aren't you glad that FFXIII didn't win.

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    12:48 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If FFXIII won,...nah,it's impossible

21:54 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

DOES NOT COMPUTE. :3

Comment by Hyra911
    22:03 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They are awfully stupid to think they ever have a change. They will mostly win if it running for the worst RPG ever though.

Comment by Baronight
    23:10 12/12/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

none of the list excite me except portal 2...
    which i have to agree, its indeed a promising game

01:27 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Bayonetta is WAY better than God of War 3 and it wasn't even nominated!

Comment by brningpyre
    06:15 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

The extra comments for each category are all just trying too hard.

Comment by VZ
    00:00 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

And this why I hate the modern videogame scene.

00:11 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

What can we do, it is Halo that started the "race to create better FPS game" mentality

While I am an FPS game, I miss the good old games of the 90s like those in Gameboy, Sega Genesis and PS1/ PSX

15:41 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Halo? you're kidding right? What about Doom or Wolfenstien or Duke Nuke'em? Little game called Half-Life or System Shock? For a single player FPS, these ones are the ones that come to my mind to force the create a better version of this game. As for multiplayer, the first pure ones to my mind are Quake and UT and the war that raged between fans of each as to which was the best ever.

Comment by Cosplaying God
    23:19 12/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Sad how StarCraft 2 made it. It is the biggest let down of the year. Everything in it is so limited. Forced Battlenet, limited map editing for such an advanced program. A good game that turned badly because of the limitations Blizz has given. I was hoping that SC2 would fail so games would stop putting their damn limitations in the future. Oh well...

01:49 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

SC 2 is pretty fucked-up, limited option for the users of this game

23:17 12/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Vanquish is not even on the list of "Best shooter"? That game is easily one of the most polished 3D shooters ever, even tough the length is a little short. It's almost like 2D Sonic compared to 2D Mario in regards of intensivity and fast, fluid gameplay.

00:42 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

I'd have to agree. Vanquish is amazing. However, they could have advertised more. I have friends that are hardcore gamers and they never heard of it until I brought it to their attention.

Comment by Default Player
    01:22 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

WHERE'S POKEMON!? D:

05:58 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

This sucks ass. It's nothing but a big popularity contest. Pitting Kirby against all of those games, especially in graphics. I wonder how diffrent this would have turned out if FPS wasn't a choice for games at all...

Comment by Indofag
    01:24 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

No Tales of Vesperia or Tales of Graces for Best RPG category? Oh wait...

01:14 16/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Tales of my asshole.

Comment by Dr.Morph
    23:09 12/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

And why would japanese give a shit if games from there country didnt win any awards? shees sounds like someones mad

Comment by Artefact
    03:59 13/12/2010 # ! Questionable

Lost glories perhaps?

Comment by Hyra911
    22:06 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Japs are stupid it's not like they don't have any good RPG, but most of them never get translated into English. Damn those close minded nationalist idiots.

05:32 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Except for the fact, you know, we have no actual statements from Japanese gamers at all in this articles, only assumptions, and that they probably don't even know what the fuck Spike is.

Comment by Ben
    18:50 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You can't care about the opinion of something you don't know exists.

Comment by Chen-04
    01:39 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Best of--- E-Penises.
    Or how it is possible to relate your own penissize to other people making games.

03:33 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Oh god what the fuck.
    Not a single simualtion.
    What the fuck.

Comment by Feronen
    04:37 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed myself. I would've liked to have seen an Ace Combat up there this year, but it seems Namco has dropped the series entirely now.

Comment by SpideyPHL
    02:42 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

I have to agree with most of this list. RDR was an awesome game, and not just because John Marston reeked testosterone without going over the top like Japanese imitation, but also because it had deep, real characters, great gameplay and a rich world. Similarly Mass Effect 2, although the actual gameplay was more of a third person shooter, was still a great game with choices actually affecting storylines, and black ops has great multiplayer that improved on MW2's. Starcraft 2 is by far the best RTS I've ever played,and I've played basically every one made in the past 15 years. My only issue is with Halo Reach winning anything, but since Halo was never a big deal to me (I was playing FPS on PC long before the frat crowd had even heard of an xbox). As a result, I never had a very high opinion of it.

Japanese developers need to step it up to stay competitive, and that means making more rich games on the consoles people all over the world play instead of making rehashes just in Japan. That is to say, PS3 and 360, not PSP and Wii. FFXIII was a flawed attempt, but at least Square Enix tried, unlike Sega with their yaoi fangirl pandering Valkyria Chronicles 2 or any of the various PSP/DS/Wii spinoffs of franchises that haven't had a proper HD releae.

Comment by MARl0
    03:52 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

I would have put Final Fantasy 13 for best graphics. Say what you will about the game itself, but there is no denying that it is one gorgeous as hell game. It runs at full 1080p (unlike most games on this list), has a rock solid frame rate, has incredible draw distance, and has amazing art direction. That it wasn't even nominated for best graphics is very suspect indeed.

Comment by Feronen

On which system?

Comment by DFC
    23:04 12/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

I am happy with some of these choices, especially Bioware.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    23:49 12/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

ME2 was the only game I bothered to replay, just to paramour everyone, men included ;)

20:45 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's what I thought. I find Bioware was amazing this year. I also think that ME2 definitely deserved RPG of the year. I played many RPGs this year and it is one of the few I've replayed. Pokemon Heartgold was awesome too.

06:07 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

>RDR was the only one to include actual singing.

Mordin Solus anyone?

01:50 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

wtf how did metroid other m make it on there? i'll admit it very good graphics in terms of the wii but the gameplay was slow and boring the story made no sense and the samus was made to be so out of character it wasn't even funny

Comment by Ben
    19:06 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I haven't even played it yet and I thought Samus might be out of character...

01:10 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

The only game that is worthwhile on this list is Fallout: New Vegas and all of the other games are shallow crap.

23:48 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Don't really care for any of the games in this list.
    bullshit list is bullshit!

Comment by CoolServbot
    06:35 13/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Biased as all hell... Again! As always. Completely ignoring any of the awesome Japanese developed games that are usually much better crafted than the recycled first person shooter, sandbox "manly" bullshit.

What about Valkyria Chronicles 2, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, Infinite Space or Pokemon: Heart Gold/Soul Silver? Oh wait! I guess those are too colorful, kiddy, and not to mention for handhelds...

Don't forget the AWESOME Beyonetta! A console game that has much more imagination and originality than 90% of the games nominated. Truly sad really... Definitely had a much better score than all of those games!

I also hate the stigma for handheld games. Why can't a handheld game win Game of the Year!?! Let alone get nominated!?! That's pure bullshit. Sure the graphic may not be as flashy, but the hours of gameplay is tremendous! You are definitely getting more bang for your buck if you buy a handheld JRPG than say... God of War 3.

Comment by MARl0
    10:34 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

While I agree with your general opinion, most of your examples of worthy japanese contenders don't even come close to being award winning material (with Beyonetta being the only one on your list that is actually deserving). Games like Super Mario Galaxy 2, Dragon Quest 9, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and Sin and Punishment Star Successor are far more deserving of awards than your list.

Comment by Kiriya
    23:23 12/12/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

From all these games I only onw Starcraft 2 and only plan to play Mass Effect 2 sometime, wth?

Comment by Bizany
    01:54 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This list is just down-right pathetic. Seriously, God of War 3 got best graphics? Where's Metro 2033? In scope of realism, Metro 2033 had better showing on all fronts, from sheer realism to atmosphere - yet it doesn't make the list.

As a PC gamer, their list of choices for the PC looked like they just selected a bunch of random, big-name titles. Amnesia: the Dark Descent, Just Cause 2, and Battlefield Bad Company 2 are all strangely absent.

It's a little saddening to see Resonance of Fate not make the RPG list...it was one of the most original RPG's of the year. Plus, why isn't Deus Ex: Human Revolution in the most anticipated games for 2011? It's got some of the highest ratings and view ranking around on big-name sites.

And anyone who skipped NIER for having the best soundtrack of the year is deaf. DEAF I TELL YOU!

Comment by Rehceel
    02:36 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I second that Nier comment 100%.

23:48 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I suppose Project Diva 2nd was suppose to be the best game for 2010.

18:56 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Black ops at the top1? I really think that GoW, Halo and Mass Effect are far better than it. i believe that any gamer would agree with me

Comment by Ushiromiya Reiji
    23:48 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The only thing I agree with is
    Best Xbox 360 Game

Alan Wake

Yep.
    It was the best 360 game this year.

ME2 somewhat deserves to be on the list, but it's not even close to an actual RPG.

Can't comment on GoW3 or Heavy Rain, don't have a PS3.

Other than that, most choices are absolutely horrible.
    And predictable.
    Kids and their shitty taste in videogames.

00:32 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Alan Wake should have won. One of it's faults was it got sacked into an XBox only game when so many people wanted to play it but couldn't.

I played GoW3 and Heavy Rain. Overall, I'm just glad Heavy Rain was nominated because it shows some people have good taste. The style of the game is so different from anything I have ever played and the story was great.

Star Craft 2 sucked for me, which almost made me cry. The story play sucked as it did nothing really but cater to introducing the new units so later you could go off and multiplayer. One of the few popluar games that came out this year that halfassed the story and focused on the multiplayer aspect. PC had way better games that could have won instead.

23:49 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

call of duty black ops deserves the award..

Comment by Ushiromiya Reiji
    23:55 12/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope you are trolling.

01:30 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

im not trolling i just love FPS...even though im an anime lover..

21:13 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i love battlefield series:1942,battlefield 2 series:special forces,armored fury etc.,bad company 2.battle the best battlefield mod is Desert combat i used to play with my friends way back 2004.

21:34 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

same here

then you should try Bad Company 2, MUCH better than blops, wich is just a copy-paste of MW2 with little effort put into trying to improve it but still got extremely hyped...

Nah I doubt he is, he's part of a sick generation of gamers addicted to crap.

01:55 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

maybe you are that part of sick gamer generation.we have different taste of kind regarding with games..I luv FPS, RTS,how about you...

It's a good game but it's allso exactly same stuff than previous CoD games nothing new.

01:34 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

well as a FPS gamer...there should be optional actions in FPS, for example:you can do optional actions such as incomplete the mission,be exposed in covert ops or you can kill ur comrades(NPC characters always following you around).and be a rogue character...

Comment by Ushiromiya Reiji
    00:17 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Call of Duty ?
    Good game?
    I had a good laugh, thanks.

01:41 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

actually i really like the story of COD:black ops, it is better than modern warfare 2...

00:34 13/12/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

You can laugh, but the millions of people who constantly buy it pretty much keep you on mute.

Same goes for the reviews too, I'm not even a fan of the series and I'll agree it's a good one.

It is a good game like 00:17 said however it's downfall was a little more than what he said. Yes, same stuff, but also bugs to hell, and an annoying story "TEH FUCKIN NUMBERS" *blowsbrainsout*. When you get to the gameplay and bug free, be it story or multiplayer, then yes it's a great game.

yup CoD:black ops is one of the best selling game of all time :)

I personally believe that 6 million people worldwide, or whatever the current sales count is, that they are all sheep and just bought the most over hyped and most over advertised game in the history of gaming. Unfortunatly I can count myself amongst those people as I had to buy it to see if it was worth the hype, which it was not in any way. Call of Duty was never the same after World at War, now I say World at War because it essentially was a copy and paste of COD4 which is still the greatest COD game. MW2 went "Halo" in my opinion, packing on the bullshit perks and killstreaks. They made the game cheap. Bad Company 2 in my opinion carries on the true spirit of COD4, it moved in the direction that MW2 should have gone.