Japanese asked to rate their most loved game characters unsurprisingly deliver the top spot to an old favourite – but a beautiful virtual diva seems well on the way to unseating even this gaming titan.
The ranking, with the total number of votes for each:
1. Mario (New Super Mario Bros) [9,862]
2. Hatsune Miku (Project Diva 2nd) [6,420]
3. Date Masamune (Sengoku Basara 3) [4,333]
4. Naked Snake (Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker) [4,142]
5. Ailu (Monster Hunter Diary : Pokapoka Ailu Village) [4,033]
6. Reshiramu (Pokemon Black) [3,208]
7. Wada-Don (Taiko no Tatsujin DS Ron Pedro! Roll up Jókai!) [2,962]
8. Nene Anegasaki (Love Plus) [2,446]
9. Totori (Atelier Totori) 
10. Black Heart (Choujigen Game Neptune) 
Miku fans will just have to live with their beloved hologram being outranked by a hairy plumber.