Top 10 PlayStation Games You Want Remade on the PS3

ps-ff-by-messa-mesa.jpg

Japanese asked which PlayStation era games they would like to see updated and remade for the PS3 give a list unsurprisingly dominated by JRPGs, although the title which narrowly edged in at the top may well be something of surprise…

The ranking (the bracketed number is the percentage of respondents who included the game in their responses):

1.  Final Fantasy VIII (100%)

2. Final Fantasy VII (99.2%)

3. Final Fantasy IX (91.2%)

4. Xenogears (28%)

5. Valkyrie Profile (27.2%)

6. Parasite Eve (25.6%)

7. Ghost in the Shell (24.8%)

8. Bakusou Dekotora Densetsu: Art Truck Battle (19.2%)

9. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (15.2%)

10. Dino Crisis (9.6%)

It would appear the majority of Japanese gamers concur in thinking the Final Fantasy titles of the PlayStation era represent the heyday of the series.

Yet for reasons no sane person can know (perhaps involving towns), Square Enix has repeatedly scotched hopes of classic Final Fantasy remakes, apparently some of the most desired remakes the world over.

Possibly the ruination of the franchise in the Wada era will prompt them to finally reconsider, although considering the reception many of their latest games have faced, fans may have to prepare for the worst should they finally relent and go through with a remake.

Comment by vault2049
    15:16 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I think FFXIII needs to be remade lol!

Comment by ☆ БОSS ☭
    13:00 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Valkyrie Profile plz

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    13:04 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Parasite Eve, damn you!!!

C'mon Square..! Aya Brea (and loli Eve) needs some HD make-over!!!

Comment by PewPewPew!
    16:12 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yeah, PE for PS3. Because Aya Brea doesn't age!^^

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    16:23 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank you Mitochondria PE Powers!!!

you havent heard of the 3rd birthday?

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    15:00 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

That's for PSP...I'm talking about PS3!!!

Comment by Godot
    13:10 29/11/2010 # ! Drivel (-1.0)

Its already been remade for the PSP.

That's a spinoff, not a true Parasite Eve game. She doesn't have her true mitochondria powers in 3rd Birthday.

Comment by Tex_Arcana
    13:14 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Fuck yeah Dino Crisis!

*TUMBLEWEEDS*

Comment by Kiritsugu
    13:27 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Rather than remake Dino Crisis I'd prefer a sequel to 2.

Comment by Kiritsugu
    01:55 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Let's just pretend 3 didn't happened :)

Comment by Manjix
    16:55 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dino Crisis 3 sucked too much.
    But hell yeah, Dino Crisis and Dino Crisis 2 ftw.

Comment by Tex_Arcana
    20:07 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I should perhaps clarify my "fuck year" was in regards to 2.

The original... well, Regina's still cute in it.

Comment by Gogetters
    12:59 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Legend of Dragoon needs a remake!

21:03 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

shadow of collosus
    nuff said

22:44 01/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Shadow of the Colossus is already getting a HD remake...

Comment by Kyle8910
    23:40 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually just finished Legend of Dragoon last year. A friend of mine insisted I play it and I was impressed as hell. I loved those old graphics and the story rocked. I actually finished the whole thing. I could not get myself to finish FF2, FF8, FF10-2, or FF12 (never touched 11, 13, or 14.

Same thing when another friend bought me a copy of Tales of Symphonia for the gamecube. Loved it too.

I was honestly satisfied with LOD and Symphonia as they were.

Comment by Anim3Fr33K
    13:11 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh man LoD was fantastic. But i don't know about a remake i think it would loose some of its charm, it just worked the way it was.

Comment by Vitamin
    15:44 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Could work with Move, IF we could turn it off when we don't want to waggle around.

Comment by Gogetters
    13:12 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree... But it would be nice to have upgraded graphics...

I'm actually playing LoD right now on a emulator..
    :D

00:16 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I do want that. How do I get it?

Comment by Godot
    13:09 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I scarcely remember how it plays because its been over a decade since but I think it would be a perfect RPG to use MOVE with.

15:07 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

gust of wind dance!

... is the single aspect stand out the most from the game for me.

Comment by destructorv2
    13:02 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

I'm tired of remakes.

But if they would do anyone of them, make it good. there has been a streak of crappy remakes.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    13:09 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

Word. Old crap smells better than new crap.

Comment by Elicoor13
    17:13 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Amen to that man. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories anyone? But then again, Silent Hill 2 is pretty much the only truly fantastic game of the series(SH 3 and 4 were okay, SH was just sorta meh, and those other SH games just flat out suck).

13:26 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Fuk year!!! Xenogears all the way!!! I think I can do without Valkyrie profile, its good, but its already damn good enough as the original.

13:22 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

If Hollywood and films has taught us anything about remakes, it is this: Be careful what you wish for.

Comment by ono
    13:15 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Instead of a Valkyrie Profile remake, I'd prefer a Valkyrie Profile 3. Hrist needs some love.

13:44 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

how could the forget Vagrant Story...

18:38 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Final Fantasy Tactics

Vagrant Story

Front Mission 2 (there's no western version)

Front Mission 3

Parasite Eve I

Parasite Eve II

Silent Hill

Destruction Derby Raw

Final Fantasy VIII

Echo Night

18:14 06/01/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere

Comment by WPE
    13:19 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Agree. Damn, I love the kind of world they are living in. It looks futuristic and neat. And Bigg and Wedgge in FF8 make me laugh everytime they appear.

Comment by kyosak
    13:01 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

Agreed.
    Haters gonna hate.

14:09 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

delusional stay delusional

Comment by Pyrolight

You're right, I hate it because is sucked :P

00:28 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

With the exception of FF4, those were not remakes, they were ports. ITT we talk about REMAKES, specifically for the PS3.

"Also: No, 6's story is actually quite thin and cliched. It was great for the time, because we hadn't seen anything like it."

If it was fresh at the time, how is the story cliched?

Comment by Candy
    13:50 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I strongly agree, FF6 is the best in the series.

Comment by Zanosuke_Kurosaki
    15:10 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, dude. There have already been remakes of those first three, the first and third, in fact, having remakes in the last three years. Guess you need to go pay more attention to handheld systems. Also: No, 6's story is actually quite thin and cliched. Go play it again, without your Nostalgia Filter in full effect. It was great for the time, because we hadn't seen anything like it.

Oh, and its battle system sucked big floppy donkey dick. Once you got Magic, you had no compelling reason to keep any particular party member for more than three battles. Yet another huge failing of Interchangable Party Members...

13:24 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

having to draw magic in ff8 is the worst thing of any ff game

Comment by Zanosuke_Kurosaki
    02:06 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Because when we sit down and dissect it, it becomes quite apparent that the characters are paper-thin, with rather little development.

Character in a nutshell, in both worlds.
    Terra: Amnesia! Hope for the future!
    Locke: Treasure! Regret about near-dead girlfriend!
    Edgar: Endless flirting! Secretly a rebel!
    Sabin: Naive musclehead! Zany antics!(Sadly, Sabin gets like zero new things to do in the Ruin half of things)
    Celes: Hardened General! Must find Locke!
    Shadow: Badass Ninja! Secretly Relm's father!
    Cyan: AVENGE MY FAMILY! HONOR HONOR! (P.S.: Your Bushido SUCKS, Cyan!)
    Gau: Grr, wild child! I'm Gau! I'm Your Friend! Let's travel together! I'm Gau! I'm Your Friend! Let's travel together! I'm Gau! I'm Your Friend! Let's travel together! I'm Gau! I'm Your Friend! Let's travel together! I'm Gau! I'm Your Friend! Let's travel together! I'm Gau! I'm Your Friend! Let's travel together! I'm Gau! I'm Your Friend! Let's travel together! (P.S.: Repeat this a few hundred times until you have all his Rages, which also suck. You will then be using him as little as I do)
    Setzer: Let's gamble, risks are fun all the time! Dead friend! PATHOS AND SADNESS!
    Mog: Kupo! Be sure to now take time out of the story to learn all my dances, because you'll be kicking yourself in the World of Ruin when you can't get my Water Rondo! Kupo! I have NO impact on the story, except to recruit a hidden character!
    Strago: Grr, crotchety, crotchety! Look at me, I am now such a badass, for beating a monster I should've taken down years ago instead of being a huge wussy about it!
    Relm: Precocious, precocious! I shall paint this picture on this canvas which is OBVIOUSLY POSSESSED!
    Gogo: I am a hidden character. I get nothing to monologue and be all emo about. Sadness. ;_;
    Umaro: Urrrrrr.
    Kefka: BURN IT ALL! OOOOO, GODDESS POWER, MAKE IT ALL BURN! (seriously: Kefka has as much depth as a puddle)
    Gestahl: I WANT POWER! BLARGH, I AM NOW BACKSTABBED BY THE MINION WHO HAD ALL THE SIGNS OF SOCIOPATHY!
    Leo: Honor and what's right!

Now. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the game. I am actually quite fond of several of these characters, even taking the Woolseyisms into account. But these characters don't grow nearly as much as people are deluding themselves that they have. With such a large cast of mains, that's actually not really possible to pull off very well. We enjoy the silliness, the battle system that was interesting before the addition of Espers, and seeing how the world around them changes mid-game. But a stunning example of well-written literature, this ain't.

ff8 you could be killed by the crappest enemy in the game even though your at a high level with good gear and ff9 was good but having no control over when you go into trance was a problem.ff7 by far was the best but is a victim of its own success

Agreed FF6 had way more character development, more magic more summons/esper more ability's.

Every character had there own special can do it when ever you want. Didn't have that bullshit limit break.

Had a hidden attack when you almost about to die.

The only thing FF7 have is the graphics and a very good storyline. As far as elements, it had way less than FF4, FF5 and FF6.

About the only game I can think that surpass FF6 popularity is Chrono Trigger.

A Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger Remake would kick FF7 ass.

For me Chrono Trigger had a way better story plot than FF7.

So for me the remake list is like this

1. Chrono Trigger

2. Final Fantasy 6

3. Final Fantasy 4

4. Final Fantasy 9

5. Act Raiser (What you guys know about this)

13:33 29/11/2010 # ! Drivel (-0.7)

FF8 sucked monkey balls!If there is a FF that needs remaking is FF6!!!

13:11 29/11/2010 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

it sucked a lot

FFIX ftw though

Comment by Yuki
    12:54 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.5)

YESSSS FF7 ISN'T FIRST BUWAHAAHAHAHA!! >:3

P.S. I approve of Xenogears.

Comment by Candy
    14:02 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

Lunar Eternal Blue!

Comment by Zanosuke_Kurosaki
    15:06 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

After the fiasco that was Dragon Song, and the somewhat disappointing Lunar 1 PSP remake, plus WorkingDesigns being long gone... are we sure we want to risk the defilement of the best Lunar game in the series? ;_;

Comment by Candy
    13:39 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Xenogears baby!

Comment by King Tiger
    17:52 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

XENOGEARS made the list YES

i'd also like to see legend of dragoon and the PSone era Armored core titles remade as well

21:03 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

no more FFs from square-enix please. let them die in peace :<

00:55 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed 100%; Xenogears is one of the best JRPG I ever played, if not the best.

Comment by Renzo
    15:52 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, Silent Hill (1st series) and Tales of Destiny !!

Comment by yuriphoria
    14:05 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Curiously, I also liked 8 better than 7 but not by much and I think 7 is more fertile ground for remakes as the abundance of side stories make evident.

Comment by FlareStormX
    13:28 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I was personally hoping for Chrono Trigger to be available as one of the choices.

I mean, yeah. Its originally a SNES game ported to the Playstation, but still its the only system that CT ported to, so its still kinda special in a way.

And FFIX would look more than just awesome in terms of graphics if its actually redone for the PS3. Those who are familiar with the events of Disc 4(Especially the final area) will know just how epic it will be in PS3.

13:33 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

DS, you forgot they ported to the DS too

14:25 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Xenogears! Parasite eve! NOSTALGIA! Those would be so badass for a remake

Comment by alidan
    15:41 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

CHRONO TRIGGER FTW

it makes me sad that the fan project ended, but when square tanks, we can resume it cant we?

Comment by vault2049
    15:05 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I was hopping for a full 3D sequel/prequel sometime in the future? A remake would also be welcomed. Oh well...

Comment by FlareStormX
    14:06 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah right. Thanks for the reminder. I guess there's no reason for a PS3 remake then, since DS is fairly recent.

Comment by Zanosuke_Kurosaki
    15:04 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@FlareStorm Yeah, the DS remake fixed all the silly dialogue bits and problems, no horrible loading times - it's pretty much been the best CT so far.

19:26 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

good to see most of the squareSOFT games at top. this just shows that made the fatal mistake merging with SHIT-ENIX thus leading to their eventual downfall. what happened to you SquareSoft? you used to be cool. and now you're just tool.

Comment by alidan
    20:41 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

enix was more of a publisher than a developer, but they published some realy fucking good games

and oddly, it seems that only square games are getting fucked hard right now. allot of the stuff the enix had its hands on are still making good games, namely the dragonquest series.

well, 100% of people want to see if they will fix all the crap wrong with FF8

Comment by Sorrior
    14:26 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.1)

8 was one of the best FF games of the PS era far better than 7 IMO. 9 was possibly better than 8.

But as for games i would've liked to see they would be.

The Legend of Dragoon

Breath of fire 3

Breath of Fire 4

Monster Rancher 2

Jade Cocoon

Digimon World 1

and probably a few others but those ones above would be my top choices. Out of what hasn't already been listed.

Comment by HouseLife
    16:32 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+1.0)

I didn't believe there were that many smart people. This survey proves that there is a god... or a lot of trolls who thought it would be funny and it backfired on them.

I sincerely believe FFVIII is a stronger game than VII up until the 4th disk. I've had this argument so many times, I deciphered where the problem occurred. Everything up until and through Edea was excellent. Everything afterward with Ultimecia was just written in such a way that it was too unbelievable for many people. I never had a real issue with it, but I do remember even me going "Wut...?" when I played and not understanding it fully because it was too easy.

In this regard I personally think FFXIII and FFVIII have this in common: both have a certain catastrophic writing failure that kept it from reaching its full potential. FFXIII's was only really that they didn't integrate the information that was in your codex into the game, which is lazy and annoying and confused many of its players. FFVIII's was they didn't weave their final villain in well enough into the previous, much better-written stuff. With the exception of the presence that Sephiroth gave as a villain in VII, I do consider FFVIII's delivery to be a bit better than VII's for at least the early-to-mid portions of the game.

And you were doing well, alidan, but I get to say it yet again: anyone who calls something so well made a 'piece of shit' is absolutely WORTHLESS to listen to in any discussion.

Comment by blubee
    22:27 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

@alidan 17:09
    Those aren't plot holes. That's just your inability to comprehend character personalities with more depth than Mario. All that stuff you pointed out is called character development. And from the sound of it, you haven't even gotten past disc 3 which explains the flashbacks and Seifer switching sides. And once again, the flashbacks were for character development. It fleshes out Squall's and Ellone's histories. Your problems with the plot are all superficial.

As for magic drawing, the whole magic junction system would fall apart if they didn't do magic drawing. Making each magic have its own stockpile works well with being able to equip them to a stat. If it were an MP system, how exactly would junctioning work? In the first place, what's your problem with the magic drawing system? Saying that it's retarded doesn't mean anything. What were its faults? Besides the fact that it takes a while to draw magic from monsters and draw points to build up your stockpile, it was a pretty solid system.

But I will agree that Square needs to stop reinventing the same game over and over. FF8 had a really good battle system IMO so if they'd just continue to build upon it, it could have become a really great system.

Comment by FlareStormX
    17:29 29/11/2010 # ! Quality (+0.8)

At the very end of the day, its all about your preferences.

Anon 17:19 makes a very good point.

15:04 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.7)

Screw those, i wana see my ff6 ps3 remake.

18:43 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

I find it interesting that those badmouthing 7 and 8 seems so spirited in the act. Makes them seem so butthurt. I'm not saying they are, but they sound like it

Comment by Inkydog
    14:53 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

I think you just named every game that I really liked on the playstation. I def did not expect that anyone else but myself actually liked the original digimon world. Also, Monster Rancher 2 is worth its weight in gold.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:01 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

I like FF7 the best, but it is in most dire need of updating as well. The visuals are strikingly bad after all these years. FF8 and FF9 rather still look pretty good now. I love them all but I don't see the extremely pressing need to update FF8 or 9, though it'd be cool if they did (especially making it so that the games are slightly less exploitable and make it more of a real challenge).

For me though, I want something like Suikoden 2 be remade with modern visuals without tarnishing the story and content of the game if possible.

Enough RPGs though. How about Megaman Legends? Or even something like Tomb Raider 1-3 done in modern visuals? Einhander 2?

18:22 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

true, and according to the percentages above, it seems that the majority of people prefer FF8

00:24 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

@Alidan: Just stop it already... You have to go ahead and degrade the other gamers, and try to make yourself seem as if you are so much better than others. Who cares if you have played a ton of games before ff7/8/9? You are just making a fool out of yourself by going so far...

Comment by Shadow C
    20:48 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

I would cast my vote for FF7 and 8, along with Ghost in the Shell.(I've never played that game, but I love the series)

17:19 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.3)

Typical comment here:

Final Fantasy was of course much better than Final Fantasy . You guys have no taste, the Final Fantasy I like the most is of course the best one ever, don't you see!?

02:43 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck all this FF fangirl/boyism
    Where the shit is my Digimon world 1?

Comment by Hellmen
    23:12 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Not a single mention of Vagrant Story and Einhander? I am disappoint. :(

23:31 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

FF7-9 weren't that good, try looking at them from a more critic point of view. Most of the fanbase love them without questioning even the obvious flaws because they're little kids and those were their first RPGs

Comment by alidan
    01:11 01/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous
    23:31

here is the funny thing though of 7-9, the one that is technically the best one of them is the one that most people hate. for the life of me i will never understand why, i believe that its due to its unmemorable story.

10:39 01/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I was going to say where's ICO and Shadow of the colossus... then i remember they will return for the PS3.

Comment by Marie
    21:25 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

haha, if this will ever happen, Square Enix ruins this. i wonder if they ever produce a good FF again

FF x-2: crap
    FF XII: crap
    FF XIII: crap
    FF XIV: crap

Comment by alidan
    15:21 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

milkmandan
    13:42

THANK YOU, yet another great game, and one i really need to replay.

and to be honest the ds versions aren't as bad as they could have been, i'm thankful they didn't completely fuck that series.

11:10 03/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

fuck them, 6 deserves to be remade the most... imo

Cause it was good AND it still in fuckin sprites

12:47 04/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yes, ff6!! all the way. and xenosaga.besides, a sthe oldest one of the discussed, 6 deserves a remake the most. and as the best ff ever, it deserves soemthing bigger than a handheld remake. 'nuff said.
    and i cant understand why so many people hate ff9. its actually extremely awesome. i believe its just due to some forgettable story parts and its artstyle, which was supposed to look like the old games with their little sprites in 3D. i think thats some former anon meant with "pedophilia" for ff9-fans. an whats with complaining about its music? basicaly almpst all of its music comes from earlier ff's, so your complaining about thise all... blah. but i do admit, kuja was not a very good villain. not at all. just a narcisstic clone with some magic power who would have died anyways and was too "no world without me!" to ust quietly go away.

13:01 02/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"I think a lot of gamers like having a juggling act in their RPGs."

So that's why that one Breath of Fire game where you got a permanent game over if you used dragon powers too many times was the most popular game in the series, right?

"There are way more magics in the game than stats to junction them to. Also, in late game it's really easy to get more magic, therefore, you can use it more liberally. And each individual unit of magic doesn't affect your stat that much so it's okay to use some even in early game."

Remember you said that when you're in the middle of a fight, someone gets killed repeatedly and you have to waste those Full-Lifes you junctioned your HP to. Not a lot of places to draw that shit.

What you need to keep in mind is that most of the offensive magic in the game is useless anyway compared to Limit Breaks and GF summons, especially when you can boost them. Junction all your Ultimas to attack and you're not missing much. Where the Draw system punches you in the balls is that a lot of the best healing and support magic (Curaga, Full-Life, Triple etc.) is what gives you the best results when junctioned to your stats.

Also before you get Aura, boss fights are basically just spamming GF summons. And aside from hammering the boost button you have to just sit there and watch for a minute and a half at a time while Square's artists polygonally masturbate all over your television screen.

And this is just the gameplay. I haven't even scratched the surface of the facepalm moments the story cranks out. Plus, that awful, AWFUL vocal song. Game Informer said it best when they called it a "deadly audio status ailment" and recommended turning the volume down.

Comment by blubee
    16:35 01/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

alidan 02:28
    They picked one of their elite snipers. The reason he choked up was not because he'd never killed anybody, but because he always chokes up under pressure. Especially since this was such an important shot. Once again, character development. And anyway, he didn't miss his mark in the end. He would have hit her if she hadn't shielded it.

The flashbacks weren't just about telling the stories of some characters that you meet briefly in the end. It was also about the background of the main story and the main character: the circumstances surrounding Ellone's fugitive status, her past, how Squall is related to Ellone, where Squall came from and how he wound up at the orphanage, and also indirectly Rinoa's origins. Admittedly it could have been executed better, but it isn't as bad as you make it out to be. IMO the game is really about Squall and his growth as a character, from stoic loner to leader and lover, and in that regard it was really good.

If that's how you played the game then you were doing it wrong. There are way more magics in the game than stats to junction them to. Also, in late game it's really easy to get more magic, therefore, you can use it more liberally. And each individual unit of magic doesn't affect your stat that much so it's okay to use some even in early game. I don't know what you're complaining about. It's a system that prioritizes customization while forcing the player to balance between junctioning magic and using it. It adds a dimension of strategy to the game IMO and I think a lot of gamers like having a juggling act in their RPGs.

The story is pretty solid. There aren't any huge gaping plot holes other than the predestination paradox and the fact that a group of teenagers save the world in a few weeks, but then what JRPG isn't like that? The story does get kind of weird towards the end, but it doesn't make the story fall apart.

Comment by milkmandan
    13:42 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wish they would revisit the Mana series and make a better mana game D:
    Stop with the crappy DS versions and stick to the original like seiken densetsu 2-3 or Legend of Mana.

12:10 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I just want Xenogears remade, the way it was supposed to be in the first place. Complete, perfect, without all the missing stuff on Disc 2 the cretins in the front office forced Takahashi to cut out to make budget resulting in interminable 30 minute cutscenes. Leave Disc 1 alone, but make the Mass Driver, Soylent System, Mahanon, Merkava and the two or three cut Anima Relic caves playable. And fucking tighten up the last dungeon too, it didn't feel much like a last dungeon at all. Make the cutscenes skippable like Xenosaga and speed up the text.

I know they're so afraid of making towns now, but they don't need to go berserk with the environments... the environments were quite detailed for Playstation, if they just upgraded it to the level of say a Tales game or a later Grandia that would be enough. They don't even need to change the music or the battle system, those were perfect. Just make those blocky character sprites into hi-res ones. And for god's sake DON'T FUCK WITH THE CHARACTER DESIGNS.

If I never play FF8 again that'll suit me just fine. Playing it felt like a chore, for reasons too numerous to list (and nothing someone else hasn't already said). An RPG's story typically gets more exciting as it goes on and you learn more about the plot, but I found myself getting increasingly bored with each disc. The best character in the game was Mr. Monkey strictly because he was the only one to explicitly tell Squall "You suck!".

FF7 is fine the way it is, honestly. They've done enough contemporary stuff with the sequels to keep it fresh. No point in remaking it if all you're going to do is change all the character designs so they look more like J-POP singers.

But really Square, remake Xenogears and do it right, me love you long time.

Comment by Shippoyasha
    16:44 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree HouseLife. The thing is, FF8's plottwist took even the fans of the game up for a loop.

I thought the SEEDs and the schools battling was great. The whole Laguna/Orphanage angle was just.... out of the moon in how random and ridiculous it all. That includes the time-travel 'explanation.

FF7 to me is the straighter story and easier to digest, except some final events were fleshed out by spinoffs and Advent Children to a degree, so that helped. FF8's ending is just... weird to me. FF9's is a bit ridiculous as well. Especially when Kuja is just pushed aside at the very last moments like that.

Comment by milkmandan
    13:40 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Anyone who says FF8 should be first is a weeaboo fantard that picked JRPGs and anime an entire generation LATE.

FF8 is probably still to this day, the worst FF ever created. From the craptastic battle system to the shoddy card game system to the never ending magic draw-fest, this game tried too hard in so many respects that any TRUE fan that has played and followed SquareSoft since the beginning will know that it is a piece of shit.

FF7 and Xenogears in light years beat out FF8.
    Hell, even FF9 was better than FF8.

And whoever mentioned FF6, you are a true fan of the highest caliber.

Comment by alidan
    15:40 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

ff7 is no where near as good as people make it out to be, but as far as jrpg go its probably among the better (having to play disc 1 6 times due to memory wipes before i got to the end, jaded me a bit)

ff8 was the worst piece of shit they ever made. THE WHOLE GAME is meta game bullshit, it may be among the most customizable ff that didn't have jobs, but fuck you if you cant say that that game was the best. it had good ideas but poor exicutiuon and seriously poor and retarded story elements make me hate that game.

ff9 is by far the best ff game in the ps1 era, from a game play stand point, however even though i loved playing it so much that i went from disc 1-4 in one sitting, i cant for the life of me remember anything that happened. if the story was more memorable in a good way, it would easily be the best ff game (with the exception of 6, but a more memorable 9 story would possibly par 6)

basicly - 7 had alot going for it but as i said above i was jaded before it was even old, 8 had broken magic system, and so much of the game was meta game that it was a steamy pile of shit, and 9 had a VERY forgettable story.

of every ff sense 7, i always want a materia system, i fucking loved materia.

Comment by alidan
    02:28 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

blubee
    22:27

ok, imagine this, you are a head of an organization like guardians, who do you pick as a sniper for a high profile political assassination? a guy with more notches on his belt than you can count, or the new guy who never killed before?

the flashbacks if i remember right were from characters you only briefly meet, or come up later, and could have been executed FAR better.

the magic drawing system was meta game bullshit, and made the whole concept of magic almost pointless, because it was better to save it all up and junction it than use it. want a counter proposal to the system they use?

final fantasy tactics, i believe predates 8, and i believe in that game your equipment deals with what abilities you can use. you use that, level up so the magic is learned, and than through a materia like system of leveling those skills they get more powerful to better junction.

a materia system that isn't linked to spells, instead they are random gems that you have that boost power the more you have up to 100

a real magic system were you learn the spells through the game, junction them, and how much they effect your player is governed by how porficiant you are at the spells, and how much mana you have in %

basically, the story of the REALLY falls apart in that game if you look at in detail, its really hard for me to convey it in typing and it being over 10 years sense i played through it. look up the story and think about everything in it. remember all the meta game.

Anonymous
    00:24

i pointed out rose colored glasses, as in it was their first, and nothing is as good as the first time was, and for allot of people it was the ff seriese 7-9 that was their first jrpg, but ps1 had far better ones, just not as popular.

Anonymous
    00:31

tats meta game bullshit, and there were other ways to get magic besides drawing, but its all meta game bullshit.

Anonymous
    00:37

you said it better than i could. i would love a real class system, that didn't force you to be one class or another, like you can have a healer, some damage, some magic. and not force you into situations where 2 characters are there and it wants you to use a severely underleveled class just because it has a class system.

No magic drawing ever again, please. Thank you.

"final fantasy biggest fault is there need to re invent the game every fuckign time i t comes out. if they took one battle system, and refined and evolved it, it would probably be among the best jrpgs battle wise."

Quoted for fucking truth. Good lord, this has caused problems for them so many times its ridiculous. There's a few systems that if they focused on and refined, it'd make the games amazing. The system from FF2, where what improves is what you use, essentially allowing you to customize your characters to be whatever. The system from FF7. As much as I dislike the game, the materia system has TONS of promise. The systems in FF1, 3, 4, 5, 9, and X2. The class systems were amazing, and to be honest I loved the games with class systems far more than others. I'd have played X2 more if the story didn't suck so hard, since the battle system was pretty sound (save the magical girl transformations, those were stupid). If only they'd stop trying to mix everything up all the time, they'd see that they have a few solid systems that'd do VERY well if they'd just hone and refine it.

Look at the Tactics Team. FFT was the 'prototype' for the system. FFTA expanded and helped balance it, but the law system was crap and everyone knew it. FFTA2 further honed and refined the system, made laws optional with no big penalty for breaking them, and did a lot to bring it all together. The next game should really have some nice additions and rebalancing done, such as balancing out the Paravir class by giving their skills MP cost or something. Once we get a good serious story, all the 'criticisms' of the game not being 'epic' like the first will just wash away.

That's the kind of thing we need from the core team. We need them to pick a system and stick with it. There's three that show a lot of promise to me, and the one that's gone the farthest is the tried and true Class System. Now if only they'd pull their heads out of their asses and stop trying to milk it like a cow, they might actually get it right.

Comment by alidan

lets see here, there are so many parts of the plot that are retarded that it makes the story fall apart.

lets go the guy in white having his masculinity challenged and turning evil for it.

the train... o wow was that one retarded.

or lets also point out the one sniper who was selected for an assassination, than loses his shit right before he needs to snipe the magic person,

thats all i can remember off the top of my head because it was years.

but damnit that plot had so many holes so often, and it doesn't hurt that almost everything they do is counter productive the whole time.

now that said, i probably liked ff 13s plot, what little i was able to under stand about it more than i liked ff8's

but ff8 did one thing right, and that was character customization, they failed to make it great, mainly due to the retarded magic drawing system, but i will credit it to be stronger if not the strongest combat system in a ff, SO LONG as you can look passed every short coming.

id also like to point out those stupid... the fuck were they? flashbacks? time skips? i cant remember but i do know i o so hated them, and from what i remember, they added so little to the story and could have been handled so much better that it begs the question, why?

and i never call something shit without having reasons.

Comment by alidan

Anonymous
    19:32

must you forget the pedophile wet dream that was nunchuk girl, or the basicly emo squall who has a hard on for sypher (yea spelling is bad but you get the point)

ff9 was overly forgetable, but was the the last good ff game that was made, and the last playable was ff12, amog my favroite battle systems, but probably the most forgetable story of them all.

Anonymous
    17:19

ff7 and 8 were allot of peoples first rpg, not mine but allot of peoples so they see it through rose colored glasses

Comment by vault2049

No way in hell that FF8 wass better than FF7,and there is no fucking way that FF9 was better than FF8. I Think you got your facts alterated here, pal. Oh! I-M-O.

Sorry if this discussion is a bit cliché, but I just had to state the obvious.

BTW Squall is more emo-gay than Cloud. +1 FF7. (again, sorry; Gaman dekinai-yo.)

The game length of FF8 was artificially lengthened because every time you found an enemy with new magic, you would waste 15 minutes drawing 300 casts from them just so it would improve your strength by 2 points. Heck, half the time it was junk magic anyway, but you have no way of knowing until you junction it.

The people that want to play through FF8 again must be masochists.

19:32 29/11/2010 # ! Drivel (-0.8)

Yeah, even spouting crap like FF IX was better than either FF VIII or FF VII. Since you badmouthed my Fav, I'll badmouth yours. I admit FF IX was playable, but only the paedophiles will say FF IX is better than FF VIII. What with the shitty character and bestiary art and music themes reminiscent of lullabys.

Comment by vault2049

There's no way in hell that FF8 was better than FF7, not a chance. Also, there's no fucking way that FF9 was better than F8. Oh! I-M-O.

among 1-10, 8 was the worst.

Comment by POKI
    12:58 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

that's cause you have bad taste...

They won't because all that broken crap is what made it sell in the first place. Especially Squall shitty ass attitude.

Comment by Atzumo Kayami
    19:40 29/11/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

I say they need to remake Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross. And Dino Crisis 2 was really good too, allong with MegaMan Legends

Comment by Tenno Seremel
    06:16 30/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Scrap Chrono Cross. Make better sequel for Chrono series.

19:34 29/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah you say that coz you're a 5 year old. Or think like one.

Comment by vault2049