Aya Hirano: “I Have a Brain Tumour”

the-head-of-aya-hirano.jpg

Aya Hirano has revealed she has a brain tumour.

The revelations come by way of the seiyuu news wire, Twitter:

I’ve had chronic migraine since I was in middle school, and they found a tumour! That sometimes causes trouble so there are all kinds of restrictions I’m under.

[...]

Don’t worry – of course not all people with migraines have tumours. Mine is an adenoma of the pituitary gland [a benign tumour in the brain]. I have to go to the hospital every year for a checkup to make sure it’s not going malign.

[...]

Sometimes the tumour presses on my optic nerve and I go blind or stop being able to speak, but I’m OK! I’m used to it!

[...]

I have medicine so it’s OK! In middle school I was told there was surgery I could take, but I gave up on it because I’d end up looking like a mummy with my head bandaged up and they’d have to break my nose to do it.

I was told my voice would change too. Having just started as a seiyuu I was not happy about my voice suddenly changing.

[...]

At first, at school my speech became weird and my memory was messed up, so it was a big deal, but that was 10 years ago.

I’ve grown used to it. I know how to deal with it.

[...]

Oh, so you can do the surgery with a laser now!?

But it’s not urgent so there’s no rush. I’m OK. I’m going to the hospital annually.

Well, I was busy so I didn’t go for 2 years… this year my health broke down so I went to all kinds of hospitals.

Whilst this unfortunate tale has likely increased sympathy for her (although not on 2ch), and possibly explains certain unusual episodes in career, there are some who have noted the timing of the revelation with scepticism, coming as it does just after she committed the seiyuu equivalent of suicide.

Comment by Actar
    19:47 02/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Well damn... While I won't say that I don't have doubts to the authenticity of the tale, one does not usually go about joking about something this serious.

My greatest sympathies for Aya as I really do feel for anyone with any kind of serious/debilitating medical condition.

While she is not out of the woods, her condition, evidently isn't serious. For that I'm relieved for her, but still pray for her well being and safety.

Weird or not, true or not, we mustn't be insensitive.

19:54 02/11/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I agree with ya there Actar, totally 100% agree with ya
    No matter if we are perverts, sadists, and a lolicon...one must never lost his/her sensitivity in this thing

21:17 02/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Comment by Misakite
    22:49 02/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Didn't you know celebrities always get preferential treatment?

23:29 02/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Lol so one can joke about lolis, torture, rape, other people's suffering but Aya Hirano "supposed" benign tumour is off limits?"

I'm fairly sure you're the same anon as 21:15 so I'm answering to that comment as well.

It depends on the joke. The loli jokes I see here usually have a positive, non-derogatory tone to them and are completely free of ill intend, while "rape jokes" usually are full of misogyny. I don't recall anyone ever joking about torture, other than wishing it on criminals in an eye-for-an-eye manner like the anon above pointed out.

Also, "delicous flat chest"? really?? You're in no position to call other people moralfags if you think the "implications" of that are sick. That's just retarded.

If you think none of the points you mentioned can possibly be ethically consistent you simple didn't think hard enough.

22:49 02/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Torture isn't funny, nor do I remember anyone joking about it here. Unless it's funny 'torture', in the context of some hilarious cat videos. Usually the ones talking about torture are serious and childish moralfags (ironically), often regarding rapists' punishment.

Making jokes about lolis and rape is acceptable and should be encouraged, obviously. Joking about other people's suffering may be funny or not - if the joke is funny, who cares about the seriousness of the topic.

20:28 02/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"So this is the reason of the *bbbrrrrrsshhh....*"
    "Reason has nothing to do with it."

Comment by TenguSan
    20:07 02/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i am sure her problems in school, if being as bad as she claims, can be easily verified. if she IS lying, it would be a pretty dumb one which will be disproven in only a few weeks at most by 2ch

also it kinda fits with why she quit being a seiyuu, and her hair falling out from unusually severe stress. i am sure frequent migraines, temp blindness and slurring, and even the tumor's very presence.. benign or not.. would add stress to ANYONE'S life. especially if you haven't visited the doctor in two years to confirm that it isn't going to kill you.

it seems to fit

Comment by Eddyak
    22:27 02/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"which will be disproven in only a few weeks at most by 2ch"

2ch are psychic doctors now?

Then again, if they can spot characters about 8 pixels tall in the background of a show, they could probably spot a brain tumour through a brick wall.

Comment by TenguSan
    05:34 04/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

2ch is known for (among many other things,) its investigative talent with RL matters within Japan.

And seeing how most denizens of 2ch hate her guts, they will be working overtime to try to disprove this story.

But you already knew all this.... right? ^_^;

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    20:59 02/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@Actar

Righteously said~

I hope she gets that tumor taken out via laser surgery before it's too late...

It's better to take care of these pre-life threatening diseases before it goes out of hand...

It's a double-edged sword...

I'll do the same and hope for the best~

@TenguSan

Either way, I'll continue to support her for giving voices to beloved anime characters like Konata...

And yes, it does seem to fit in with these past couple of years~

Tumors, no matter how small, can have an impact on one's health, behavior and appearance...

Especially brain tumors that disrupt/destroy certain functions of the brain depending on the place they grew in...

I remember my aunt losing her ability to speak due to her brain tumor...

05:35 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If true, it should manifest itself in a few years. My uncle died of this. Odd behavior and depression came first (this could explain Aya's current state, my uncle also started giving me "too much information" at this time), then seizures, then slurred speech, loss of motor control, and then death.

She's not my favorite seiyu by any means, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone short of Osama Bin Laden.

05:33 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I SAY FAKE NEWS AGAIN

02:23 05/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I SAY FUCK YOU AGAIN

Comment by Renzo
    04:11 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Although I'm not her avid fans, I hope she'll be okay :) [ Afterall, she's the seiyuu of Konata and Haruhi !! ]

Comment by tingle
    05:38 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

When I read the title I saw "I have a brain" and I was like yeaj right then I saw the word Tumor and I was like oh, that's sad. :(

05:30 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

poor girl
    I hope she gets better

04:57 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Every contra aya post recieved a minus
    Seems like there are quite a few life-liners here

04:34 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That explains why she can't put a bathing suit on right!

Comment by SpideyPHL
    04:25 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a wonder otaku complain about the negative image they have when they treat someone like her who's done nothing really wrong so badly. Yes, she said some things she probably should have kept to herself, but the hate for her existed long before then, and that's no reason to hate her now.

She's one of my favorite seiyuu, although I don't know if she'll continue to work in that field after this recent business. I hope she gets that surgery soon, that thing might go malignant someday and then she'll be wishing she had.

06:16 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

AND NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST.

07:07 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope she doesn't plan on killing herself. Usually, posts like these signal their acceptance of the diesese and that they're giving up. At least that's the tone I'm getting from the translated tweets. The original tweets hopefully might have a different tone

18:35 04/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i've had to live with a disease (immunodeficiency) since i was a kid, and i've accepted and been open about my disease for as long as i can think of, but that doesn't mean i've planned to commit suicide all my life.

i've seen people getting their immunodeficiency diagnosis at the age of 30-40, and they tend to have a harder time coming to terms with it than those who have gotten their diagnosis as a kid.

she's had this tumor from an early age, right? all i'm saying is that it's easier to come to terms with a diagnosis you get at a young age rather than one you get at a later time in life.

i apologize if you feel like i'm mocking your conclusion, and i'm not ruling out the possibility that she's planning suicide, but to me it seems more like she's seeking acceptance for who she is, instead of suicidal tendencies. however, it may develop into suicidal tendencies if she gets nothing but "fuck you, go die."-messages.

that's how i see the situation anyways.

Comment by Ben
    07:10 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Awwww, poor girl... it's really mean to insult someone's intelligence, especially when they deal with something like that. And she always acts so sweet...

Comment by Tateha
    07:13 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Future RIP, in many ways more than one.

06:31 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

are you sure it's a tumor...and not just your fans?

03:59 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Every comment that is contra Aya received a minus...
    Seems like we have a quite a few life-liners here

Comment by Yuuasa
    06:25 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What a pathetic attempt to save her career. She's /that/ desperate for attention? I am honestly appalled. I hope she really does get a brain tumor now. She deserves one for this.

Maybe then her popularity will increase with the necrophiliacs! Never give up Aya! Keep on pleading for attention. Even in the underworld.

05:52 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bitches here saying anyone making fun of her is horrible and evil yet the same people say to nuke China...hypocrites much?

06:33 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anon wishes to nuke China.

Comment by moebius22
    03:21 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sounds like BS from a mentally disturbed seiyuu.

01:25 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

After watching my dad deal with this kind of tumor,

1) It doesn't justify he whacko behavior.

2) Her nose'll be fine.

3) They do break your nose, but that's not the worst- they go through the roof of your mouth too.

4) It really is important to take care of, he's lost a significant portion of his area of vision, although he lost his sense of taste from the surgery.

Comment by Ken
    02:01 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmm... that explains so much...

00:59 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

woah cool! a tumor!

00:46 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Jesus, that sucks. I don't thinks she's lying. No high profile person would lie about something so easy to disprove.

Being a Japanese celebrity must suck. You can't be yourself without a swarm of loser otaku treating you like a pariah. There are American 'celebrities' without a third of Aya's talent with sex tapes, and they don't receive as much hate as she does.

Comment by Rethardus
    01:16 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

2chan is not everyone, don't think 2chan is the world.

02:06 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, this "tumor" is called brain dear Aya...

03:13 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That tumor is taking over her mind. Remember the "Aya forehead" incident? Well that was the tumor trying to fire laser beams at the audience.

Comment by Ushiromiya Mamoru
    07:35 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopefully the next featured article will be ~

Aya Hirano: “I'm dead, good riddance.”

Fucking whore.

23:57 15/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

your a loser. go kill yourself if you are that pathetic enough to get sexually obessessed with someone because you have no life. DEATH TO ALL OTAKU

Comment by g0dslay3r
    02:50 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

next shes going to say "i have a baby"

02:51 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I really don't know Aya. Only stuff I read on here. But I feel really sad. There is beauty in strength. I hope her condition gets better and my prayers go out to here.

08:04 03/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sometimes my head around the nose due to high blood pressure hurts and my eyes hurt really bad. I can't stand even the smallest light and the head hurts reeaally bad.
    FUCK,
    i really don't even won't to imagine how bad must it hurt that she goes blind or can't speak. No wonder she doesn't have many friends, so that she speaks about her personal problems on her blog... In some way she's like Naruto.

07:46 04/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh. Oh my.

Well...I hope she's going to be okay.

Some of you guys who wish for her to die are absolutely horrible. Have you no sense of value for human life? And I'm not talking about an expendable character from an Anime or Manga, I'm talking about a real person. You decide who lives and who dies?

You guys make me sick.

10:13 04/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

pretty obvious that she is pulling shit out of her ass just to get attention.

God damit, you guys. Are you falling for this?

18:10 04/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i'm neither falling for it nor blowing it off as a publicity stunt.

if it's a publicity stunt, i don't give a flying fuck.

if she does have it, even cynical otaku thundercunts like you should regret blowing it off as a lie.

calling someone a liar without evidence to back it up is fucking low.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    13:59 05/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i hope she get's better in the future.

good luck aya

12:31 06/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Regardless of what otakus rave about, there's nothing right about laughing at her brain tumor. Those people really need to get their heads checked and see if there's a tumor growing there.

01:00 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Ms. Hirano, Do not fear! for The Lord is always there for you. Read the " HOLY BIBLE " and be converted to be a "Christian or Catholic" it just desame.

Remember with GOD ALMIGHTY our father of heaven and earth; there is nothing impossible! Pray to our Lord and Saviour JESUS CHRIST for he is the great healer and the great doctor before.

Anyone who mistreat a person shall be punish by The Lord specially GOD cares for you always; remember that the LOVE of GOD is alway there for you and HE will protect and bless you and you love ones!

It is said in the BIBLE what you saw, you shall reap! if you are aware of the anime story Jigoku Shoujo - about hell, well guess what that is true...Be good and be Godly, be righteous, be loving and know what is good and evil things like people! That is all I can say for now to you. Take care always we your family and friends loves you so much and we always care for you, and if we ned to be there for you we will do it for your sake! GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS.

Yours Truly with LOVE,
    Park Tae Jun ( smile4U always ♥ )

01:04 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If the worldly people are very sloth and sinners like sodom and gomora they will surely be punish; and that is "karma" the cause of there sin and errors of there action...AMEN!

^^

05:04 15/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Get owned bitch!

01:02 15/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I think Mr. Anonymous and some others like him need some mental help in the hospital as well! ^^

* lol**