Top 10 Anime Movies of All Time

nausicaa-of-the-valley-of-the-bath-by-bunta-kikumaru.jpg

Japan’s top cinema rag Kinema Junpo has published a list of the best anime movies of all time.

The ranking, covering Japanese animation and arrived at by a panel of 67 film critics and other experts:

1. Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro

The Tale of the White Serpent

10. [joint]
Summer Days with Coo
Summer Wars
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies

With apologies to those expecting results in an easily comprehensible top 10 format.

As expected, Ghibli handily dominates the rankings, along with a number of classics from the last century.

Comment by Chen-04
    00:22 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

WTF? Cagliostro? Seriously? Can't trust critics. Wait.. Totoro, Shin-chan, Akira.. ... did I misread? Is it the most awful movies of all times list?

Can't be the case either with classics like Beautiful Dreamer. Oh well...

Then again, they missed Koukaku Kidoutai.

Comment by Schrobby
    00:46 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Kara no Kyoukai not there.
    Disappearance of Haruhi not there.
    Cowboy Bebop movie not there.

Save some exceptions it's only old classics and Ghibli... -_-

00:56 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

With you there as well, bro.
    Seems like the polls were filled with oldfags paying homage to classic films. While I do admit those films are good, they're not giving enough credit to the more modern films (summer wars excluded).

Comment by erochichi
    09:12 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Schrobby has a point here. That list is in fact leaning too much towards old movies. I like many of them, BUT i believe some production from 2000s should be included to show good anime movies are still being made.
    I throw in Satoshi Kon`s Millennium Actress again.
    Disappearance of Haruhi has a very strong story.
    Maybe understanding it is too much for feeble brains of Haruhi haters.

13:51 22/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Kara No Kyoukai was a SERIES of movies, you would have to choose 1, you can't have them all, and let's face it, as great as it was, none of the movies would work as a standalone.

01:23 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, there's a reason they're called "classics." Just sayin'.

Comment by Schrobby
    03:59 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Of course, but some diversity won't hurt. If you look at that list it seems that save some exceptions (mostly Ghibli) only shit was produced in the last few decades, and that's not true at all.

00:54 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Both the Haruhi and Cowboy Bebop ones just felt like longer TV episodes, hardly on par with those listed here

04:09 26/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The quality of the Haruhi film doesn't justify as a longer TV episode. The direction, pace, quality of music, animation etc.

I totally loved the Haruhi film but it wasn't so fasntastic as to be in that list. But it's not THAT far from say, Summer Wars.

Also, if the viewer didn't know what happened before the events of the film, the film will probably be totally meaningless.

00:38 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Miyazaki makes good anime films. That, I will not dispute. But Cagliostro and Totoro, come on, man. :/

Grave of Fireflies was excellent. Cat Returns was great. Spirited Away was great. Only Yesterday was great. There're so many other movies of his. :/

Kon Satoshi's films are top notch as well. They're all epic!

And what happened to Shinkai Makoto's 5cm per Centimetre? :/

09:08 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The 5cm movie was ok... It really isnt even close to a masterpiece

01:23 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

5cm per centimetre?
    interesting physics here

20:14 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I was reading through all the comments seriously until this 5cm per centimetre comment really cracked me up.

00:38 Anon, you sir made my day.

02:29 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

5cm/cm = 5 lol

08:21 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And what happened to Shinkai Makoto's 5cm per Centimetre Second?

Sorry about that. Lol. Too tired last night and missed that. ^_^""

07:47 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

only yesterday and grave of fireflies were Takahata directed not Miyazaki~ anyways

04:13 26/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

5cm is a masterpiece visually. Everything else, not really.

Also, there's just too much monologue. I understand why they're monologues, but it's just too much.

Comment by Rashid
    01:56 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Chen-04:

don't want to be rude, but I gonna screencap your comment along with your avatar... looks fun for a odd reason,

maybe a future "rage thread" :D

Comment by Chen-04
    17:46 15/08/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

@Rashid
    Don't worry. Having fun is what this place is all about for me. If someone thinks what I post is fun.. then I've accomplished something. ^^

Comment by Imyou
    02:47 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd say the opposite... those are classics, but since I love Urusei Yatsura and GitS, I hated the movies since they were so far from the original material. Oshii sucked the life out of both of them and made them dark and bleak like everything else he touches.

Comment by erochichi
    09:22 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@Inmyou: I am a VERY OLD fan of Urusei Yatsura. I don`t think all UY movies we`re that dark, maybe you`re remembering 4 and specially 5 too much. Beautiful Dreamer and 6 are fun and comedic.

Comment by Rashid
    04:34 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with Imyou.
    I preffer a lot more the original GITS mangas. lot of action, lot of technological chit chat, the ussual action-puzzle mindfuck by shirow.

the Oshi movies where pretty diferent. still dont know if he wanna to do a ghost in the shell movie or blade runner 2.

he is a genius, that is out of debate but for people which read the mangas first this dont feel too much like ghost in the shell.

Comment by Schrobby
    23:27 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I see no problem with movies diverging from the original story to bring a new angle of view. The original GitS, Patlabor and Urusei Yatsura sure were different, but I certainly enjoyed the movies nevertheless.

Comment by Schrobby
    04:18 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mamoru Oshii is a genius. He made great movies, like Angel's Egg, Patlabor or Sky Crawlers (that one should be on the list as well).

Or Katsuhiro Otomo, Memories sure deserves to be on the list.

Nothing against Ghibli, but less Ghibli would be more.

Comment by Imyou
    08:49 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oshii's a brilliant director, he's just often miscast for projects. He shouldn't be put on things with humor like Urusei Yatsura or Patlabor. When he gets something dark to start with like the Red Spectacles series, he's a natural.

No, really, you do have shitty taste LOL

Comment by Arnar
    00:26 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

Akira is probably one of the most awesome anime movies ever. You probably don't like the classics eh?

Comment by alex251
    01:01 25/10/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Akira is overrated...

Comment by Rashid
    07:12 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

love you too.

03:52 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In this cse, I have to agree with Rashid, who I find personally annoying and whose avatar creeps me out.

Akira showed the West that anime was not just cartoons. It had a story to tell and compelling characters. It opened the way for much of the anime we can see today.

Over-rated? Maybe. But it was a door-opener.

Comment by Rashid
    01:45 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

I dont think so, indeed was the film which help to expand anime in USA and Europe. It help to craft a lot of studio modern techniques system.

it haves a great impact outside japan

Comment by Superior_to_you
    00:30 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Japan, I'm disappoint.

15:03 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

Teaching people how to type on the internet... Such a great and appreciated profession!

Comment by DmonHiro
    00:52 14/03/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"I am disappoint" IS the meme. It's SUPPOSED to be wrong.

08:14 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If you want to complain about proper usage then at least be completely proper yourself and capitalize all your letters as well as proper punctuation("very civilized" is an incomplete sentence).

12:30 26/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm.... Fail to all those that failed, and if you're all trolling a fail to me.

01:26 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And you, dear anon, should look up what an internet meme is.

Comment by TFish
    01:26 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a meme anon, now you look foolish.

I am disappoint.

03:45 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Those who defended the 'meme', instead of proper English usage, were voted down. Very civilized! There is hope for us who love our language still.

If we allow this to creep into general usage, we'll all be talking internet slang.

I think you meant 'disappointed'. Try to use proper grammar. Many people don't, but you call yourself 'Superior'.

Comment by Chen-04
    18:22 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@Arnar

Sure, I like classics. Like Beautiful Dreamer, Koukaku Kidoutai and so on. No, I don't like gore movies like, for example, akira. Whatever story akira wanted to tell, I couldn't hear it over all the mindless violence.

But at least akira wasn't as boring as cagliostro or all those other lupin III movies I endured, till I decided that lupin sucked in general.

I don't see any problem here. Maybe it's just you having S­HIT taste in movies.

Comment by Rashid
    01:22 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

maybe you have bad taste.

Comment by msoltyspl
    08:11 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Firstly, making such list and limiting it to 10 positions is kinda silly. There're simply too many good productions.

Secondly, that list misses so many good things it's not even funny - from just a few memorable ones most people likely saw - GitS, Monster, Bebop, Mononoke, Evangelion, Escaflowne, Ryvius, Perfect Blue ... and many more.

Still, that's what is to be expected from "67 film critics and other experts" ...

07:36 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro??

Oh, goodgawd, WHY? And not one Kon? Or Eva movie? This is sooooooo wrong

07:05 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

me personally though my fav miyazaki movie would be princess mononoke

09:41 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

while admittedly I haven't seen most of those, I find it odd that the list is referred to as being made up of classics and ghibli when at the top of the list there's two movies based on tv series.

Also, I thought both nausica and akira were to convoluted to really say anything.

Comment by SilverLeaf
    09:48 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

wtf pple actually like that piece of shit nausicca?

Comment by erochichi
    08:48 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Glad to see one Urusei Yatsura movie on the list, though i would have preferred UY4 or UY6. I agree with opinion in many comments that some Satoshi Kon movie should have been included, i say Millennium Actress deserves a place in any Top 10.
    Ghibli movies are great, 2 or 3 of them is not too many.
    I like Lupin III movies very much, but i am still a little surprised that Cagliostro is still No.1.
    Guess it is now a tradition to place it first.

06:41 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ow wow Bleachtard and no Narutard movies
    this epic :p

09:16 25/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Spirited Away was what ignited the anime craze in me. Fuck this list...