“Why Do Anime Characters Look White?”

arisa-iriinchina-amieera-by-yanagi.jpg

A discussion of why anime characters “look white,” arguing that it is in fact whites rather than Japanese who see them as white, has found its way back to Japan and prompted much debate amongst the Japanese themselves.

The original piece, published in English and arguing that it is all a matter of perception:

Why do the Japanese draw themselves as white? You see that especially in manga and anime.

As it turns out, that is an American opinion, not a Japanese one. The Japanese see anime characters as being Japanese. It is Americans who think they are white. Why? Because to them white is the Default Human Being.

stick-figure.png

If I draw a stick figure, most Americans will assume that it is a white man. Because to them that is the Default Human Being. For them to think it is a woman I have to add a dress or long hair; for Asian, I have to add slanted eyes; for black, I add kinky hair or brown skin. Etc.

The Other has to be marked. If there are no stereotyped markings of otherness, then white is assumed.

Americans apply this thinking to Japanese drawings. But to the Japanese the Default Human Being is Japanese! So they feel no need to make their characters “look Asian”. They just have to make them look like people and everyone in Japan will assume they are Japanese – no matter how improbable their physical appearance.

You see the same thing in America: After all, why do people think Marge Simpson is white? Look at her skin: it is yellow. Look at her hair: it is a blue Afro. But the Default Human Being thing is so strong that lacking other clear, stereotyped signs of being either black or Asian she defaults to white.

marge_simpson.jpg

When you think about it there is nothing particularly white about how anime characters look:

huge round eyes – no one looks like that, not even white people (even though that style of drawing eyes does go back to Betty Boop).
yellow hair – but they also have blue hair and green hair and all the rest. Therefore hair colour is not about being true to life.
small noses – compared to the rest of the world whites have long noses that stick out.
white skin – but many Japanese have skin just as pale and white as most White Americans.

Besides, that is not how the Japanese draw white or even Chinese people. The otherness of foreigners is clearly marked by physical stereotypes – just as Americans do with people of colour. In anime White Americans are stereotyped as having yellow hair, blue eyes and a long or big nose:

white.jpg

Gone are the big round eyes and the strange hair colours. Because those things have nothing to do with whiteness.

Note that the Japanese drop the markings of otherness if the action is set in a foreign land, like China or America. In that case the characters are drawn in the regular anime style. Because for that story the Default Human Being is understood.

Some Americans, even some scholars, will argue against this view of anime. They want to think the Japanese worship America or worship whiteness and use anime to prove it. But they seem to be driven more by their own racism and nationalism than anything else.

It is indeed notable how many western theories of Japanese self-perception prefer to see colourful anime characters as a sign of the Japanese aping their American betters.

On the other hand, surgical procedures to create non-Asian looking “double eyelids” are highly popular throughout East Asia, and seem to suggest the impact of western ideals of beauty on the Japanese are not quite so easily dismissed as mere Yankee presumptuousness.

Naturally, 2ch has something to say about all this, particularly as it gives them a cherished opportunity to rubbish Americans:

It’s because it looks cool!

Their skin is just because they aren’t using any colouring or toning.

It’s because they are recognising the beauty of blonde hair and blue eyes.

Because if they were drawn by westerners even a 12-year-old would come out looking macho!

I get the impression keeping things simple like that helps when exporting to the states…

But there aren’t any of those crew-cut beefcakes Americans love?

They look western? I think the style looks to be uniquely Japanese…

I live in Canada – what the Canadians are always asking me is why anime characters have no noses?

It looks pretty bad with too much nose detail – normally they just leave a shadow underneath.

What do they want? Bucktoothed bespectacled Japanese with glasses?

Westerners who come out in anime always look totally different to the main characters, don’t they?

Were there westerners with pink and green hair now?

The video version:

That video says it all…

I think the men are done in western style (with narrow faces and deeply pronounced features) whilst the women are Asian (round faces and shallow features).

But aren’t they just emphasising the differences between the sexes?

The “pale skin” Japanese like is “the pale skin of Japanese,” not the pales skin of whites.

Who cares whether they’re white or black, it doesn’t matter. But it really is rather characteristic of Japanese manga and games to insist on trotting out an obviously Japanese guy with a katana into an otherwise fantastic setting…

Yanks going on about race need to go and look at Strike Witches – the Japanese are all flat-chested little weasels.

There are a lot of titles with obvious western settings and obviously western characters, but there are also lots with Japanese settings and characters.

Honestly, those guys think too highly of themselves! I don’t see any anime full of fat people!

What they mean to say is that anime characters don’t look like how they think Asians should look.

I’d understand if they were talking about games – you hardly see any Japanese names there.

To think they look white just shows the conceitedness of westerners.

Most Japanese do believe in the superiority of the west. They masochistically think Japanese things are ugly in comparison.

How presumptuous of them to say they look like whites!

Comment by OmgKittens
    15:07 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"Those damn foreigners love fussing over this stuff, don’t they? Who cares about race or whatever, it’s anime."

Seriously I don't really care as long as there are those minor details so you can tell races apart in anime when needed to.

17:35 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Some people believe anime characters to be Japanese (or Asian) by default, for example:

I used to draw anime-styled characters all the time back in high school (in fact I still do), and one time a student came up to me and asked me why "all of my characters are Asian".

Comment by TheBeast
    00:50 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

why do anime characters look white?

most common answer...

-because that is the color they are painted.

second most common answer...

-if they were yellow, everyone on 2ch would claim

they were plagerising the simpsons.

01:57 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They look asian to me.

08:57 17/03/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm going to have to say no. Arguments like these are funny and interesting to read, but ultimately pose no actual facts.

In my opinion it's weird that japanese people would model themselves after white people. Me personally? I've never seen a pure asian person with Blonde hair, or Blue eyes, or Red hair, or Dirty blonde hair, or any other recessive trait belonging to white people. This is because Asian people have dominant traits, all of their traits are dominant over white peoples traits.

So in my opinion, if the character looks white they are white, + I don't see too many asians with round eyes bruh.

I'm asian and I disagree with you

I'm a white American born with natural blond hair and eyes the color of the sky.

I find this whole article full of racism, both towards the "white skinned Americans" and towards our brothers and sisters who are Japanese.

The reason anime characters "look white" is simple....they are drawn that way.

11:36 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anime isn't about race! it's about HEART!

Comment by Miroku74
    16:59 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Am I the only one here thinking the MST3k Mantra should apply with this topic? o_0

Comment by Ruciferia
    15:10 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it's anime, why do they care about white skin on anime?

Comment by Sithreis
    15:17 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

FOR THEY MUST BE OF THE PURE RACE!! "HEIL"

*rolls over* ( ´_ゝ`)

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    00:21 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Ignorance is bliss.

I don't care the color, the controversy, the somewhat politics, I JUST WANNA WATCH IT

is that really so hard, just enjoying the show? =_=

Comment by Eddyak
    00:42 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"Those damn foreigners love fussing over this stuff, don’t they? Who cares about race"

The irony here is amazing.

Comment by Hakuyo Oni
    00:25 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't know about Jap women look better then white ha ha because to be all honest i feel only like 5 to 10 percent of then look good.

Comment by Kwonnie
    03:55 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I remember being about seven or eight years old and I asked my mom why anime characters always had big, colorful hair, big eyes, round faces, and small noses and mouths. Her answer? 'They want to look western'.

Even back then, it took me no more than a few seconds to realize that westerners don't have exaggeratedly huge, gravity-defying hair in any colors other than black, brown, red, or blond, nor eyes that big, nor round faces almost all, and DEFINITELY not noses or mouths that small.

What's worse, anime I watched back then probably included things like Dragonball or One Piece, which had obvious blackface/whiteface characters running around. So yes; even the Japanese had their stereotypes of how we should look. But things like that should've made our concept of understanding anime exaggerations that much easier. I guess we really were as ignorant as the 90's mangaka still including blackface in their works? (Hilariously enough I asked my white Japanese teacher in sophomore year as to why blackface was still a prevelant exaggeration even nowadays and he just laughed, recalling Akira Toriyama's comedic blackface/whiteface duo in Dragonball Z).

I'm glad though that there are more obvious signs of race in multiracial casts in anime; not because I feel their characters don't look asian enough, but I like the change of pace in the character designs. Shows like Bleach and Eureka seveN really show their merit in this aspect. Another reason E7 remains one of my favorite shows (even if endless shonen series like Bleach are dead to me now).

Comment by TK-Chan
    04:23 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All race don't matter except for the blacks.

Comment by Lilith
    04:20 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Except Chinese people actually look Asian in anime, which is funny.

Comment by Gitami
    03:11 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There is a 4chan overlay edit that proves anime characters are just huge eyed grays.

03:05 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah, broad generalizations. Here's something though: While I believe Lisa is right, what about the older prints of warriors and geisha? To the usual westerner (or at least, me) they are clearly identified as Japanese instead of reflecting on my default views. I guess because of the clothing and styles, but I get the feeling that's not it. Maybe I'm completely wrong, though.

06:45 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You are an idiot,the end.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    00:40 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've been there, I know.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    00:14 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You are all taking too seriously.

From all my friends who've watched anime so far, nobody had talked about something like that before.

I can assume only some Americans could come up with smth like that.

01:32 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

These people are really uncultured. I'm a chinese and I am almost as white as the Americans but to these people they generalise things by saying White = America and Chinese = yellow .

19:16 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I was just remarking on this to my girlfriend the other day, and this article, while an interesting theory, does not sway me.

The thing is that there ARE characters who appear to be Asian in anime, and they are often drawn to appear Asian (often given more authentic skin tones and eye shapes), in stark contrast to the "white" characters. This is only the most pressing evidence of anime character whiteness being actual and not illusory.

Comment by Yama-jii
    14:20 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anime is another race itself. The race of perfection!

21:33 03/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am aquainted with some some light skinned people, it's not always unnatural.... haha

10:26 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is what happens when you compare 2D to 3D... 2D > 3D not 2D = 3D

Comment by TehBoringOne
    13:08 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Binbou_Otaku: "halfies are hot! half-jap half-white > full jap > full white"

I'd have upvoted this guy if he hadn't reached 1.0 already. I wholeheartedly agree. I saw a half Japanese-half German girl and she was gorgeous. She had the best traits of both ethnicities.

16:39 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No worries. The Frenchies are still worried that Japan is trying to take over their culture while the Japanese are thinking the Westerners are trying to take over their culture.

Yes... Envy and the need to call it such is...

Can't you people just call it entertainment? We can take the Blood & Gore of Americans and say that causes all the violent crimes in America and the Perversion & Fantasies the cause of all Japanese sexual crimes if they want to take it that far...

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    16:40 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@OMGKittens

A little detail here and there, but nothing too exaggerated or stereotypical...

For we must all remember...

Anime characters are a unique and wondrous race of their own...Just like the Protoss and the Zerg...

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    16:21 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Anime characters don’t look like any real race. Anyone with eyes that big is an alien for sure…"

Some of the face designs really resemble gray little men the most (if hair would be removed...)

Comment by ratratrat098
    17:44 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Beauty = white people. So inevitably manga full of beautiful people have to be full of white looking people. In the end they end up full of Japanese who don’t look Japanese."

I don't agree with this one. Anime characters that are tan are also hot, just like Canaan and Azunyan (after staying under the sun).

Really some people are not careful when posting their comments. Tsk, tsk.

17:29 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Just like the Protoss and the Zerg"

^this had me LOL in class.

Comment by Minru
    17:11 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually i never thought too much about race, i always assumed anime characters had multi color hair and huge milk jugs cuz your typical jap had dark hair and small chest. Some sort of complex. Frued would know...

Comment by TFish
    17:08 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Also, Japanese women are usually way cuter than white women. I'd love to find me a nice Japanese wifu.

17:23 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

seriously, does skin colour matter?

22:05 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This guy is taking it too seriously.... Way too seriously....

21:17 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Finally someone reasonable

21:19 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually I think the misconception can be blamed on the Japanese, the simple reasoning for me is, within their animes they portray both Japanese characters and western characters IN THE ANIMES as the same thing essentially, take Ryu and Ken, Ken blatantly has blonde hair which to Asians signifies western, because asians mostly have dark hair, but other than the hair he is drawn no different to any of the other chars in street fighter, theres tons of other cases like this as well. Also my take on this whole arguement was that they wanted anime to appeal nationally anyway (which apparently is sucessful due to sites like sankaku for the national fans of Japan). So it makes sense anyway that anime characters kind of blend in for both cultures, but i agree who cares just enjoy the animes :D

Comment by onitake
    19:23 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the pure race of anime characters!

Comment by Elc
    18:40 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@ratratrat089 um... do you know anything about Japanese history? if you look back, what was thought to be attractive back in the old days and even somewhat today is pale white skin. back in the old days women would put on pure white makeup and even blacken their teeth to make their face look even more white in comparison. that was the idea of beauty back then, along with other things like high eyebrows, where women shaved their eyebrows and drew fake ones above where they are supposed to be. oh, when i talk about how Japanese beauty is envisioned, i dont mean white as in race, i mean white as in color, it would be kinda freaky to see a white girl with old school Japanese makeup on...
    but that being said, things have changed over the years, though a pale complexion is still sought after by some Japanese, its not nearly as "white" as the old days.
    and i have to agree with up above, race doesnt matter, its just a minor cosmetic detail in a rapidly globalizing world.
    sexy 2d girls will be sexy no matter what race you associate them to be.

20:53 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think these things also have to be looked at in context. If we take something with an obvious Japanese setting (for example Himari or kissxsis) then the characters are going to be Japanese regardless of haircolor or skin tone.
    But some Anime are harder to tell. Full metal alchemist comes to mind, some of the characters are obviously meant to be westerners ed for example while others such as mustang and thier teacher izumi are much more asian in appearance. what is so interesting in this case is that the setting is divorced from anything we would call reality until ed crosses over at the very end and even then......
    lets look at a third example though. Macross/Robotech set in a future earth gives us a protagonist that is pretty obviously japanese hikaru/rick (yeah when they translated it they gave him an english name) is faced with a choice between a westerner girlfriend or a asian. Lets also note the mentor is also a westerner. There really might be something here that speaks about how japanese see themselves or maybe it is just a story......

Comment by Binbou_Otaku
    20:57 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

halfies are hot! half-jap half-white > full jap > full white

19:51 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've never had a problem with the colour of an anime characters skin or hair when it comes to judging race. It is just mainly the facial features. There are shows out there that do a great jjob making Japanese people. 2 examples that come to mind are Genshiken and Boogiepop Phantom.

19:47 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@Tfish-kun NO! Don't taint them with your white blood! If you must have a child, let her propagate with a Japanese male.

I think it's really such a big problem, they look white because the're white, even if they're drawn by a bunch of noodle-eating yellow faced midgets.

BTW, have you seen kyle? he's this tall...

Japanese want to be white, the end.

Comment by Corrupted
    04:19 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

prob cause they're jealous..

10:55 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Simple answer: Anime is made in Japan where the creaters are Japanese, hence the chars are going to be in Japanese because thats all they know.

Seriously? Is it important what color anime chars are? Is this something we need to bring to the United Nations about?

16:35 14/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Look at the anime "Hero Man" created by Stan Lee. Yes, THAT Stan Lee. The Jewish-American writer from Marvel Comics.

His anime series, produced by BONES, took place in America. And every one of the characters were American.

But they all spoke perfect Japanese.

Why is that?

And another example, from this past Spring.
    The anime series "Ikoku Meiro no Croisée" (The Crossroads To A Foreign Land)
    It took place in France, where everyone was supposedly speaking perfect French that sounded to me like perfect Japanese.

Can anyone answer that? O_o

16:19 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@Ruciferia 19:10:

Genetically Japanese (real) people don't have one standard skin color.

I've seen anime in which different characters (all Japanese) had differing skin colors. "Mahoromatic" is the first one which comes to mind this way.

Comment by babybluez287
    15:31 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah like they said its default ..
    who cares what color my anime looks like ..
    its just an expression of art ..
    you cant judge art ...
    they have their own way of defining other races ..

Comment by Benatron
    23:23 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Usually anime characters have Japanese names. I always thought that was the dead giveaway.

01:23 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They don't always replace foreign languages with pera peru's or the like...

Hell they confused the hell out of me with samurai champloo when the dutch actually started speaking dutch...

I'm dutch and had to re-wind because it didn't register xD it even sounded dutch dutch.

17:48 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"deafault" is actually quite fitting if you talk about paper color
    so they appear white because of the "default" color of the paper (except colored pages)

and another important aspect is the "identyfiability" with the protagonist
    you are in generall able to develop some sympathy for the characters ant thus you can identify yourself with them (regardless of your skin color/religion/ethnic)

so if it is not explicitly mentined what natinality the characters hve it does not really matter
    just enjoy watching and relax (i watch anime to calm down and relax)

16:40 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

White people also go "Ku ku ku ku...."

Comment by TFish
    17:09 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I always hear white people go "Peru Peru Pera Pera Peru..." I guess that's like fake english or something.

17:25 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am fairly sure it is a Japanese onomatopoeia for fluent speaking. Since it is another language they just put "pera pera" as the lines a foreigner might speak.

Comment by konakona
    22:15 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly. Always someone asking stupid questions and always someone giving out stupid answers...

Comment by Schrobby
    22:40 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Japanese don’t care about race like that – if it were American you’d have to include a bunch of different races or be accused of discrimination. Those guys are the ones who are abnormal."

Sad truth is sad.

15:22 06/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's not abnormal at all. America is a multiethnic society, so it would make sense that a show would include minorities. It's weird for a show like "Friends" or "Seinfeld" set in New York to not have any minorities. I grew up there, minorities are in the majority.

Comment by Kuro'Base'Neko
    18:46 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly, i look 100% more like Goku than "Justin Chatwin".
    Just wondering how racism this majority of Americans.

Comment by Jeen
    15:13 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, like Hetalia?

Comment by PewPewPew!
    15:14 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They have the tendency to make simple matters complicated.Besides,they outta question more important matters than this.If they enjoy anime then they should just relax and have fun watching it instead of putting race issues alongside them.

20:17 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Unfortunately, it's hard to step away from race in America, because it's highly politicized and the population is highly diverse. The Japanese don't think very hard about the nationality of their characters because there is no reason to - the overwhelming majority of Japanese ARE Japanese. In the United States, as was mentioned in the article, race is a constant hot-button issue, so Americans are conditioned to overthink race.

Comment by Schrobby
    22:45 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"It’s just so you can easily tell characters apart. Don’t think about it too hard."

This one guy hits the nail square on the head. Those "scholars" who think the Japanese worship America or worship whiteness are either plain dumb or racist pricks. Probably both.

09:14 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I came back to the US and ended up taking a 'diversity studies' class as a distribution requirement. The African-American Tenured Professor who taught it said, at least once a week for twelve weeks, that the Japanese and Chinese had negative stereotypes about African-Americans because "the white people came over there and told them what to think." This was in the text book and other resources available. Same story. He, of course, had never been to Japan and had spent two days in Beijing and three days in Shanghai and he joked about how easy it was to find 'slant-eyed hookers in hotels and cheaper than Mexican girls in Tijuana'. He then leered at a couple of Thai girls in the room. They dropped the class, but filed no objections. He's tenured, Black and bulletproof.

I'd love to say that I questioned him about his theory about Whites telling the Japanese and Chinese how to think, but I'm a Caucasian and already on shaky ground for a grade from him just because of that according to ratemyprofessor dot com.

I kept silent, because I am a F@#king coward and I needed the grade for my TESOL degree so that I can improve professionally.

I do not know anything much about Japan but I did spend two years in China, in Nanjing and Shenzen working for one of those Learn English companies. I speak enough Mandarin to get by in Beijing and enough Cantonese to not starve to death in the streets of a Cantonese city.

I did learn that it is very improbable that the horrible White people told the poor little 'yellow men' [his term, not mine] how to think. It is my generalization that nobody tells the Chinese how to think. To paraphrase a common meme here on SC 'in mainland china; chinese tell you how to think'. OK not so great, but you get the point.

I'm going back to China after I graduate to work. I like the place, I like the people. If I can find some Chinese girl/woman/old lady with pulse, respiration and PRC citizenship, I will remain there. The USA is too PC for me and the stinking hakgwei are now the cultural masters and I do not like being told how to think, dress, dance or which music I must listen to to please them.

I will not be trying to tell the Chinese how to think. Except to think in English, maybe.

If the 1988 riots in Nanjing should repeat themselves, I may find myself out in the street, you know, just to have a look around and support diversity of opinion.

So, no, I don't think that all of anime is an homage to Whites. It's just anime, and no one looks like an anime character IRL. [sorry, cosplayers]

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    00:22 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

1) The video admitted Japanese have worshiped white skin as a sign of beauty long before contacts with West.

2) Japanese did indeed extensively try to learn from US after losing to them in war.

So these are not entirely false statements, only they're not connected to the anime character style the way those scholars want them to be.

Comment by DeathCrunch
    19:48 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The race issue was solved.
    The character they chose to represent the British? November 11. imokwiththis.jpg

Comment by BlaqCat
    22:42 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hit the nail right on the head. It's a pointless argument. I think because people are just obsessed with "identifying" with the characters that this kind of shit becomes an issue...

11:18 05/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What's funnier about this quote is the irony.

23:43 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, doesn't matter if it's a purple gooey girl if it's fappable material. I mean it.
    Racial differences is just an ingredient to make the world more colorful and interesting ;)

23:40 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, a lucky star white schoolgirl swimsuit on a hot blond in the ad beside my reply box.. God bless Sankaku.

Ahem. Where was I? Oh yeah. Anime chars could be purple and I wouldn't really care. The dude/dudette that made such remarks must be some sort of racist, no need to discuss it.

And yes, I've already fapped for hawt purple gooey girls. Phear.

19:09 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Aren't they being the racist ones by slamming whites for their facial features.. I don't see very many white people making fun of asian facial features.. Yet we get called Barbarians, long nose and such and they insult us all the time to me i think we have more of the right to get angry .-. some white people are idiots and assume that anime characters are white. But I still dont see it as a reason to insult us.

03:20 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, yeah, too right!!! We in the west have never pulled the corners of our eyes back and said "me so solly" or "sucky, sucky, ten dorrers".

01:55 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>White person whining about being discriminated against.

Lol wat. Sorry, but white people have no reason to bitch about anything. If your white and middle class to upper class, your life is automatically that much easier. Of course this is an American rule. Not so much world view. Btw, I'm white middle class american, and shit is so cash.

22:33 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmmm...? I take it you've never heard of "yellow-face"!?

Perfect example of how the westerners viewed Asians (Japanese in particular) in the early and mid 1900s:

Brief history of "Yellow Face":

Still think They're the ones racist against whites? Well, actually yeah but let's no forget who started it.

Comment by Schrobby
    23:09 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Whites do make fun of "typical" asian features, like the slanted eyes and yellow skin...

This whole discussion is flawed right from the start, since the Japanese neither worship whites nor try to diss whites. Like mentioned in the article they use certain dominant (or what they perceive as dominant) features so that it's ensured a Japanese will recognize a white anime character as white.

Comment by TFish
    23:16 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think those stereotypes of Asians are more directed at Chinese and Koreans if anything. The Japanese seem to hold a particularly high place in pop culture when it comes to portraying stereotypes in western media.

Comment by savantique
    20:08 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh... please do some research into the World War II era and take a look at any American film with Asian people.

10:53 04/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He said "making fun" which means in the present. In Asia do you see blackface on prime-time TV. In the US, not so much.

19:29 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

btw, does anyone know what song's in the video?
    I recognise it really much but I can't quite put my finger on where I've heard it...

02:47 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Here, Gundam 00 opening # 4 in late season 2.

Comment by joshua
    20:47 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i think because white characters have mass appeal. i mean if they looked really japanese would you still watch anime? sure maybe or maybe not.

04:29 13/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

But they do look Japanese...

Most of them don't look white to me. Only the ones with orange("red-head") hair really strike me as Caucasian, for some reason.

Comment by Schrobby
    23:17 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A Japanese watcher sees the characters as Japanese. A European as European. An American as American.

As long as there are no distinct features telling you something else (like black skin if you're white) it's human nature to think a drawn human is the same as you.

The same can be said about all dominant features, that's why we see faces in objects that clearly are no faces. 2 points and 2 lines in a certain arrangement are enough. Like this ;-)

01:33 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

im american and i dont see anime characters as american, to be honest i never really thought much of it and i still dont give a damn. but one think that could possible make people think anime characters are of a certain race could be if they are watching it dubbed in a certain language. if you watch an anime in japanese you think of they are japanese, watch it in english then you think america or europe, and so on so forth. but that is just my honest opinion like all of your opinions but only the artists can really say what is what in there anime.

19:50 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

they just don't want to admit THE truth

EVERYONE deep down inside wants to be white =D

Comment by anonymous_guest
    01:52 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you all can deny it, but deep down you know white is superior all the way

04:04 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How naive...

"I can see what you mean, but, "what you see is not what they see.""

19:20 31/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

And yet you're the tonky honky obsessed with Asian culture.

04:23 13/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL

Then how come there are white people that want to be asian? What about weaboos?

I'm Caucasian, but I would rip my skin off anyday if it meant being able to look Asian. I think Caucasians are ugly, haha.

04:30 13/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I find my own race ugly because so many of them are racist, and started the whole racist issue.

04:27 13/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Finding your own race unattractive is really sad.

All races are beautiful.

Comment by a pervert
    21:56 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can see what you mean, but, "what you see is not what they see."

Comment by Cosplaying God
    15:24 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

In 2d world. Race don't matter cause. Especially because it is in another world.

01:42 02/09/2010 # ! Good (+0.8)

"Japanese don’t care about race"

A number of posters have said this. This is hilariously and obviously false. Japanese are profoundly xenophobic.

A simple refutation of that premise is in the large number of Japanese establishments which refuse to serve gaijin, and the harassment and second class treatment of Koreans and Chinese residents in Japan.

As far as the superior beauty of Japanese women over westerners goes this is obviously both cultural and a matter of individual taste. You don't have to go farther than the galleries on Sancom to realize that there are some godawfully butt-ugly Japanese women.

Speaking of attractive Japanese women, isn't it about time for another voyeuristic school girl photo gallery. We haven't had one of those in a while.

Comment by TehBoringOne
    13:18 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You know... Despite a portion of the population may do, not ALL of the Japanese people are xenophobic.

It's as if I called all people in the United States "disgusting lardasses" or Chinese "psychotic global pirates". While those things are true to a degree, they don't represent the whole of the population of those two countries.

There are xenophobes in Japan the same way there are in every single country in the world.

Comment by Darkrockslizer
    16:22 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What.

Comment by Alucard
    22:27 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So we are all committing incest when we fuck each other?!

Comment by TehBoringOne
    13:14 02/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So... Can I call my black friend Brother safely? Because I think his older sister is hot.

Comment by TFish
    17:12 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You know that really ironic thing about this is the indigenous people of japan were of Caucasian ancestry.

22:22 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, there has been no scientific evidence proving the Ainu(indigenous Japanese) are descendants of Europeans/Caucasians.

Comment by Benatron
    23:38 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

We all come from a database female and a database male. Who were most likely African.

Comment by Schrobby
    22:57 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (-0.2)

All humans of the world save those in Africa are descendants of early Europeans. The humans came from Africa to eastern Europe and from there conquered the earth. That's why the genetic differences between humans all over the world and Europeans are smaller and less evident compared to the differences with Africans.

Alas that was some ten throusand years ago and is of no real importance and not intended to start a racial discussion.