Square Enix on FF14: “Players Get 8 Hours a Week”

saucy-mithra-by-gochou.jpg

Square Enix have finally clarified how their controversial “fatigue” system for limiting player advancement in Final Fantasy XIV works – players are not after all limited to 1 hour of play a day, but instead to a much more generous 8 hours a week.

The announcement was made on the internal Final Fantasy XIV beta tester site by the game’s director Nobuaki Komoto, and has since been reproduced by multiple sources:

ff14-beta-character-advancement.png

In summary:

Players earn XP at 100% for the first 8 hours.

For 7 hours over this limit the XP received decreases to 0%.

The time limit for the playtime counter to reset is 1 week.

The XP gain limit is not tied to any class/job but is per character.

Drops and loot are not affected by the XP “fatigue.”

Strangely, this is not so far off the “1 hour a day” limit which caused so much controversy – and hardly “fabrication” and “delusion” as Square Enix put it not so long ago.

08:07 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ok biggest blunder in mmorpg history? This or NGE? :)

Comment by Unlimitedbladeworks
    09:27 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't forget Tabula Rasa

08:50 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

my preorder has just been canceled.

Comment by Unlimitedbladeworks
    09:25 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow Square-Enix sure knows how to make someone NOT want to play their game. I'll stick with the upcoming KOTOR

Comment by MasterJ633
    10:39 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I heard that.

I'd rather go stabbing people with my Lightsaber as a Sith for hours and hours and fly around the Galaxy in my new ship, then get cut off after 8 hours.
    Something i KNOW LucasArts and BioWare will NOT do to the fans and gamers.

I bet you THIS was 1 of the reasons why Microsoft Canceled the X360 version of Final Fantasy 14, since they know players would be PISSED at the limits, they probably won't want to deal with it.

Any MMO that people play, you will need to spend a helluva a lot more then 8 hours a week.
    Square Enix is probably getting 10,000's if not 100,000's of E-Mail a day of people pissed at them from the Limitations.

In ANY MMO, people will ALWAYS Level Grind to try to be the most powerful. You try to stop them, and no body will pay to play this then.
    Square Enix, for their sake, better remove ALL time limitations or (which i expect it to anyway) it will get very bad sales.

Ah well, Square Enix will just have to learn this the hard way.
    By losing millions and millions of dollars.
    That's about the only way major companies learn.

I didn't but had I Pre-Ordered FF14, i would have canceled it by now.

Then, time to Pre-Order Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Comment by カンチ
    07:58 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd say they should have done 3 hrs a day per account, no exceptions,overage would event in immediate boot.

07:57 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good. All MMO's should implement such a feature. The amount of time some people spend playing these type of games is staggering and is only detrimental to the people around them and themselves.

09:29 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, well I was uninterested in it when the combat was slow as molasses against an easy opponent but the graphics are sharp and combat was sped up quite a bit.

I was really interested at that point, sexy characters and a decent story for an MMO. Then I find out about this limit, when I come home from work I enjoy gaming at least 2 hours a night. When I am really enjoying an MMORPG that can be 3 hours a night rather than watching TV or doing something else that is equally wasteful. This destroys my interest in the game as it actually punishes you for playing the damn game. I am a grown adult, I don't want mommy and daddy squeenix telling me I can't play that much more than an hour a day. If people get hopelessly addicted to it and ruin their lives, that is their problem and means they probably shouldn't be playing this kind of game anyway.

Comment by Vitamin
    10:36 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hahahahaha!
    Awesome Square, just AWESOME!
    And there's people still defending this system, wow.

10:25 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why doesn't Square Enix just commit suicide while they're at it? This is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard, and if it stays like this, the game is going to fail.

Comment by Elle Lowel
    20:26 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it's more like product suicide since FFXIII didn't go so well. Like they want to go down in flames. Literally.

Comment by Keiwi
    09:32 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You have to wonder if SquareEnix really wants to stay in business while making such decisions for a subscription based game.

06:35 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How are the beta testers and bug fixers going to ... you know, test things?

05:44 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Serves you righ 2ch no-lifers! <- I hope this comment gets translated and presented there.

05:45 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

what the hell 2ch gotta do with any of this? idiot.

Comment by Reichi
    06:02 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, so players get an extra hour a week? Fantastic.

06:39 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What I'm more concerned in FF14 is how this will effect the none-fighting job classes. I mean are those classes more exp dependent, or skill dependent. Do we earn skills by doing tasks or is it directly related to exp? Essentially I'm wondering if the exp cap will only hard counter fighting classes, while I can just play Harvest Moon all day with my gathering classes.

07:28 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the way I see it, it's 15 hours before xp = null, which honestly isn't that bad, and it doesn't stop you from leveling a different character, or farming for items.
    And I'd wait with seeing how it works out until after the game is released, after all, for an mmo, nothing is ever really finalized.

Comment by Lucky_Flame
    07:46 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

C'mon Sankaku Complex, SE is shit so trash their games more!

Comment by washuotaku
    06:58 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It is likely that playtime counter that resets one week is actually Sunday at Midnight Japan Time, like in Final Fantasy XI. This wouldn't surprise me since its way easier to do that than have some sort of internal counter that people will attempt to hack.

However, all this is making me rethink my choice of pre-ordering FFXIV now.

Comment by ventlus
    06:46 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Square Enix could use this to their advantage and ask for people to pay for extra hours play a week and they can make more money

07:06 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No no Square Enix, this won't do
    I detect a big fail...

10:52 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Now I kinda wanna see how this shit's gonna go down a couple months after releasing the actual game....cause you KNOW it's bound to go down somewhere.

12:41 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sankaku ate my previous post :(

Just to clarify, it's not time-based, it's actually a cap on exp/skill points, the 8+7 hours/week figure comes from an approximation of how much time you'd need to exp (as in mindless prolonged grinding) to get to that quota.

It also says that it's possible to remove (or alleviate) the limit before the 7-day period is over, by engaging in non-exp related activities. I'm not sure what those would be since I haven't really tryed the game more than an hour or so.

If that is really a possibility it doesn't sound that limiting to me, playing more classes should be a given anyway since you would suck without mixing abilities, and, even if it is "forced", having an incentive to explore more aspects of the game (assuming they exist lol) is not that much of a negative thing, imho.

12:43 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Forgot to add, the details on how it works were posted on the eu beta site some hours ago.

09:36 28/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But why let the facts get in the way of a good scare/bashing piece?

:rolleyes:

01:59 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Little problem: a lot of those 'non-exp related activities' are things that are tacked onto the game that ALMOST NO ONE WANTS TO DO!

11:07 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it's a big improvement on the "1 hour per day" idea. With that way you'd have to use your hour EVERY day or it would go to waste, a real pain if you only have time to play on weekends or something. This is a lot less restrictive.

Mind you, that's like saying that it's better to be hit in the face with a piece of cat shit than a fresh cow pat.

Comment by Aya Reiko
    07:29 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dear Blizzard,

1. Introduce Japan to WoW.
    2. Avoid draconian policies like this. (Most people actually can regulate themselves. Those who can't are Darwin Award material anyway.)
    3. ??????
    4. Profit (fucking more)
    5. Watch SquEnix shit themselves.

11:18 01/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

sorry but the people of Japan know what bad games are, and WoW is one of them, period. You want to control a cartoon, play wow, you want a challenge and superior graphics and story line? Play ffxiv

05:52 23/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

you wish its almost may 2011 and I own both wow and this piece of crap game and i really hope you are not that delusional as to think this game is better than wow by any aspect then sell me the shit you be smoking.

Comment by tsukasa2k6
    04:45 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

well with this limitation the game will not be successfull

10:58 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh man Squeenix thinks that this is such an awesome idea until they realize a month after release there are no more sales and no subscribers.

Comment by puppypuncher
    10:40 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think this is a great idea... and introduce it to other things like sports. I think the NFL would love only being able to have their star quarterbacks score points for the first touchdown of every game. Or anything else competitve...

12:05 28/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Drops and loot are not affected by the XP “fatigue.”
    AKA "We SE love RMT"

Comment by Ukonkivi
    01:18 06/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've played Pathetic Hikikomori level amounts of this game that past week, probably close to 84 hours, I kid you not. And I have not hit fatigue at all.

14:59 04/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Somewhat relevant, but not really...

The article's pic is a mithra from XI :|

That hair style is what my mithra used in XI, and it doesn't exist in XIV's character creation.

07:06 30/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dear retards posting comment, and dear article writer - you are not limited at all to 8hrs a week and if you think you are, then you clearly did not read very much at all - or did, but didn't understand it.

Enjoy this educational video explaining WHAT YOU ALL MISSED and why it's a good idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM&feature=related [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM&feature=related]

08:07 27/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Personally check out Spoony's MMO roundup. Aria sounds lovley.

And yes, this is stupidity. Then again, I don't knlow any Japanese MMO's other than Phantasy Star that did 'decent' in the west so.. I'm not suprised.

01:05 16/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Screw that, and screw squeenix. Vote with your dollars and don't buy and play their awful games.

11:06 17/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

best way to make a game suck ever, aside from crappy servers without support and gms lol

Comment by FUCKIT
    04:57 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And people are expected to pay for this shit when FREE MMORPG's are out/coming.

23:26 29/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Isn't the whole point of an MMO to take over your life? Square Enix are being very stupid with this game

01:58 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No, they are trying to milk you for money, which is not going to fly in the United States and I think, if they try this policy, might actually lead to a class action lawsuit!

19:39 10/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I for one welcome our new Square Enix overlords.

01:57 14/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sorry, but if they stick with this policy, they can stick this game up their butt.

When I want to play a game, I do NOT want some bean-counter telling me how often or long I can play my game... PERIOD!

Just another reason why I'll be passing up this game.

Comment by chun
    01:53 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

How about this: 8 hours a week = 32 hours a month = 384 hours a year. That's what Square should give us, 384 hours a year straight on.

This is equivalent to 16 days full time. So how can we manage this ? Simple, we buy an account, play for a month,for a reasonable 4 hours a day then quit the game and come back next year for another month and save ourselves a lot of money on monthly fees we won't use.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    13:18 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

wow way to go enix. still alot of people will be pissed, what about raids? pvp's, guild wars? do you think they will be able to squeeze all the 8 hours into it? not to mention they are potential(future) hackers and so on.

come on square, get yourself together, you have been focusing alot of games lately yet you barely release some of them. i would rather release parasite eve archives on PSN, kingdom hearts 3, versus xiii and all of the XIII saga Final Fantasy VII,VIII Remake and Dirge of Cerberus Sequel(only story change the gameplay to a ATB). that would be awesome comapare to this.

Comment by Neacuzo
    13:01 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's still as bad/worse than before -.-

Comment by huari
    13:50 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Full text for those curious. Judge for yourself if the article is accurate.

We'd like to thank all the beta testers for their cooperation during the closed beta test. We have received your valuable opinions and feedback and will do our best to incorporate them into the open beta and official release versions of the game.

Now, we have received a lot of questions and opinions from everyone today, and we would like to give you some answers regarding character growth balance in beta phase 3.

First, the concept was to achieve a balance which would allow those with little time to enjoy FFXIV to get more out of their play time, and above that, create a game that does not force you to spend long hours playing it. To that end, we implemented Guardian's Favor, which adds a bonus to Guildleve, and makes it easier to level in shorter amounts of time.

To balance this out, we came up with a hypothesis regarding what amount of skill points and experience one was likely to earn in an hour. Think of this as a rate at which a player can fight battles, do Guildleves or skill-up.

Then, using that supposed amount, we made it so you can earn 8 hours worth of skill points and experience at 100% of this rate. The subsequent 7 hours' worth will gradually see the attainable skill points and experience points fall to 0.

The limitation on thee amount of points you can attain is set on a weekly timer. Once it passes a week since you first began leveling a particular skill, the limitation resets to zero. After it resets, it will come into effect again once you begin work on that skill once more.

Even if you are hit with this limitation during a one-week period, its detrimental effects decrease if you do not level that particular class. You can even recover back to the full 100% rate of point acquisition, so you do not always have to wait the full week for the limitations to go away.

The skill points you do not gain are instead saved as Surplus Points. Each class has its own amount surplus points, so you can try out a new class if surplus points begin appearing in your log window.

However, each class does not have its own amount of experience, so playing a different class will not mitigate the declining experience point rate.

This is the system as currently implemented.

In truth, this system was not just put in during phase 3 of the beta, but has been implemented from the start. However, we have received many opinions saying the system explained above is not what actually appears in phase 3 of the beta. There are several reasons for this.

Around the time of beta phase 3, it became possible to play for longer periods of time, thus increasing the amount one could play in a single week.
    In beta phase 3, Guildleves received a boost in skill points and experience points awarded to encourage party play.
    The skill points and experience gained from defeating enemy parties as well as weaker single enemies was lowered, though due to a bug, did not take affect initially in beta phase 3. This was fixed during beta phase 3.
    The number biggest culprit behind this issue was that last bug, which allowed players to gain more skill points and experience than we expected, causing the limitations to come into effect much quicker. Of course, not adjusting the limitations in accordance with the boost to Guildleve was a problem as well.

The lack of explanation regarding these adjustments was a mistake on our part for which we sincerely apologize.

The numbers behind these limitations are all still under development, and we plan to adjust them according to player feedback in an effort to make them less severe. In particular, we are considering making the decline in points less drastic and are already hard at work on it. Also, as the limit on experience carries over through class changes, we plan to lessen its effect compared with the limit on skill points.

At the very least, we promise players will not be hitting the limit as quickly as they did at the start of beta phase 3.

Also, I would like to address one other thing below:

The reduction in what you acquire from gathering is based on the actions of that particular class and is unrelated to limitations on leveling. We are also in the process of adjusting this and plan to make changes based on player feedback.

Surplus points currently have no use. However, there are opinions saying preparing some kind of reward would be good, but that's just giving people something else to strive for, which misses the whole point of this system. We want to take our time and thoroughly investigate this issue.

Now, the open beta test will include more than just the above adjustments. As we stated before, awarding more skill points for party play is also an important topic we plan to address, so we hope you enjoy testing out what we come up with.

Lastly, as director of this title, I wish to deeply apologize for the lateness of my comments due to my absence while attending Gamescom. In addition, articles written during my trip contained much speculation, outdated information and mistranslations which only invited more confusion. In the future, I will do my best to make direct, official statements in a timely manner. I humbly ask for your understanding regarding this matter.

See you in the open beta!

Final Fantasy XIV Director

Nobuaki Komoto

Comment by Gitami
    10:31 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So you have say 8000 class skill point and experience point limit calculated by 1000/hour x 8hour. You hit 8000 you then enter the 7000 limit and your exp gain rate decreases as you close in on the 7k limit.

Once you hit that limit it tells you you should switch class, you will then gain 8000 class skill point followed by 7000 declining class skill point, however you will gain no experience points since you reached the limit in the first class.

Comment by Artefact
    18:49 26/08/2010 # ! Incandescent

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't that version mysteriously added an entire paragraph not in the original?

We have this:

この想定取得量の制限には1週間のタイマーを設定しています。
    最初に成長があった時から数え始め1週間経過したところで、修錬値・経験値の取得量の制限をリセットします。リセット後は次に成長があった時からカウント開始します。

(This entire paragraph has no Japanese equivalent in the text - where did it come from?)

修錬値取得量が減って得られなかった分は潜在値として得られます。
    これは各クラス毎にしており、潜在値が表示されるようになったら別のクラスをプレイしていただくことも視野にいれ、調整しています。

The original text - there is no paragraph between them:

この想定取得量の制限には1週間のタイマーを設定しています。
    最初に成長があった時から数え始め1週間経過したところで、修錬値・経験値の取得量の制限をリセットします。リセット後は次に成長があった時からカウント開始します。

修錬値取得量が減って得られなかった分は潜在値として得られます。
    これは各クラス毎にしており、潜在値が表示されるようになったら別のクラスをプレイしていただくことも視野にいれ、調整しています。

02:37 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You forgot this part:
    1週間の途中で制限を受けたとしても、成長していない時間によって回復し、1週間の期限が切れる際に
    100%に戻るようにゆるやかに回復します。
    1週間後まで制限が回復しないわけではありません。

Just google it for source

22:22 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah the system is falsely reported BUT it's Square that fucked up not Artefact or FFXIV fansites. They should've had made the system clear before this confusion.

OB starts 31.8 so I'll see the system myself then.

13:20 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

See you reported more false information the whole "8 hour limit" thing was a complete misunderstanding of the actual system. You make it sound like the game is completely unplayable after 8 hours.

Sankaku always last to catch the short bus.

You forgot this

Comment by Artefact
    09:52 27/08/2010 # ! Questionable

That wasn't in the original versions I saw when first researching the article - I presume they added it later (not that there is anything wrong with this if it is correct). It also appears in the official English translation, although they seem to have changed the wording around there to make it less plain they have time limits.