black-lagoon-1-by-hiroe-rei.jpg

Black Lagoon mangaka Rei Hiroe has told manga pirates in no uncertain terms that they are thieving swine and that “I hope these guys pirating manga get pancreatic cancer soon.”

He made the comments on Twitter, the Internet’s great boon to journalists looking for incendiary soundbites:

I don’t want to link there so I won’t, but what kind of upbringing did these bums asking for every volume of a manga in a zip file get? That is… Well… I hope these guys get cancer of the pancreas or something soon.

[...]

I hope the imbeciles worshipping the imbecile who uploaded that are diagnosed with a never before seen and never to be seen again illness and die in the most ridiculous fashion, so as to be remembered only in medical annals by doctors laughing about how they died.

[...]

Hopefully all those idiots praising him all the time for upping these get busted by the police – I’d love to see the net gloating over their miserable fate.

The cherished delusion of manga and anime pirates that mangaka are indifferent to their actions, or in more deluded cases even that they are grateful for the “publicity,” appears to be fast dissolving under a hail of outraged invective from mangaka of all kinds – most creators would clearly rather be rid of fans too cheap to support their works.

Black Lagoon has been internationally available in English for some time for those wondering, although his comments were not addressed specifically at either Japanese or international fans – doubtless he feels all pirates everywhere deserve a lingering death as cancer wracks their diseased bodies.

Comment by loli in a box
    01:28 25/08/2010 # ! Good (+0.4)

Stop whining.
    That's how it works nowadays.
    If it exists, we can pirate it and we will.

Comment by Erranty
    10:16 02/09/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

And those who truly love it will buy hard copies.

Comment by Chen-04
    22:43 09/08/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

Only if localizations ain't messed up to the point were it isn't enjoyably anymore.... like 99.97% of all manga are.

14:03 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.4)

I would never have known about the great anime and manga I watch if it wern't for pirating.
    If anything I support or else I wouldn't know anything.

02:26 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Copyright holders sense of entitlement is amazing "waaah my government granted monopoly means nothing so I'll just lash out at others instead of realising how dumb selling copies was in the first place"

And this one apparently stopping people from making copies of the manga is more important than actual human lives. Talk about fucked up priorities.

Then again the entitlement thing goes both ways a good deal of the time so whatever.

16:25 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't know the point of this, foreign publisher either delay or screw the manga , and people trully likes manga have to be blamed?

Comment by Rehceel
    05:28 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This is why I'd rather make a story for fun and have it become popular on its own rather than do it as a job. I don't want this kind of bitterness. The kind that ignores the value of someone seeing your work and liking it for what it is rather than putting a price on it.

Can't blame anyone for wanting money, though.

07:40 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd have to agree

14:13 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why don't mangaka just put their manga online for free and then take site donations and stuff.
    Fans will donate to keep it free I hope they know.
    I would.

16:19 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Why, instead of doing that for free, don't they just _sell_ digital copies online? They would kill costs and most of the people would be happier to read digital copies anyway, because paper mangas are impractical, they're printed on crappy paper, they take space, they're just a PITA.

Comment by Erranty
    10:15 02/09/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Actually, the manga in Japan are on dramatically better paper than ones in America, and they're like 1/3 the cost there.

Comment by alidan
    15:28 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you for get this great argument,

people will watch the worst crap as long as its free.

why not a low res version that is readable and free with ads. and than sell us a higher res version, like 600dpi

12:12 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I love him to make this kind of comment to cancer patients in a hospital. Someone needs to give him AIDS.

15:56 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

He's trying to earn a living and the pirates are sabotaging his efforts. He has every right to be angry but wishing someone would get cancer is pretty heavy.

Also, how's this for dieing in a most ridiculous fashion: Tripping over a Pekingese and banging you head on a coffee table?

21:31 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, everyone loves to vent. I think it's funny to see people in the industry just blow up at the people who piss them off rather than making carefully worded (and terribly boring) statements of "disapproval". Maybe next we can have a seiyuu for one of the K-ON! girls tell some creepy otaku stalkers to fuck off and mind their own business?

11:21 31/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh good, I think I am starting to enjoy this stuff to. What have you done to me?!
    *Going to watch the bale outburst on youtube again*

Comment by Noah
    21:29 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i think that does a bit too far, not his comments but the fact that someone wrote about asking to for the zip files to him. that is like rubbing salt to an open wound. still saying that they should get cancer, is a bit extreme, i can feel hatred behind those words.

22:29 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

LOLWUT.

CANCER PARTY!! :D

03:32 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oooh, pancreatic. That is truly the king of cancers.

12:28 25/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I dunno, if I were him, I'd say brain, or if was really feeling nasty, anal.

16:41 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mangakas should have a paypal account or maybe a bank account where fans from all over the world can make a "donation" so s/he can't rant that much with piracy.

And because of the unavailability of many of the mangas here in my country, I'd gladly donate (even monthly) to my favorite mangakas.

16:35 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe he's taking it a little too hard...
    Oh well I understand he needs the money, if only the government started realizing manga is important...

16:14 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It seems like these statements are inversely proportional to the talent of the mangaka who makes them. In fact I expect to never see anything even remotely similar to these words from someone like Oda sensei!

Comment by Fapping Time
    06:28 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

who wants to ride on my pirate ship?

07:57 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

WTF is Black Lagoon?

08:11 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

One of the top rated animes here in Japan and America.

07:32 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Copyright as property right doesn't make a sense anyway. It should be obvious that it is not enforceable unless we will live under totalitarian regime and even then there would be black markets. Autors should just change their business model. With internet this should be easy. Publish manga online without midleman for free to anyone (it would be pirated anyway) and ask for donations and sell manga related merchandise + advertisements etc. You will get free translations of your work by volunteers as a bonus - that will allow expanding your potential market coverage. Not to mention fame for trying something new and for being realistic about it. Treating people like thieves and wishing them bad works against you. Besides as an artist you want your work to be enjoyed by as many people as possible right?

05:45 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

* People who download his work get cancer and die.
    * Less people hear/nobody knows about his work outside of Japan.
    * ????
    * PROFI- Wait, maybe not...

Comment by Travosaga
    05:45 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Tell publishers to stop ripping us off with crazy prices and give us faster releases. Nobody wants to wait 3 months to find out what happens in the next chapter.

04:51 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The irony of an author whose main work glorifies the life of the modern south asian pirate complaing abouth pirates on the internet is quite funny.

04:58 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What a loser, instead of seeing the thousands of people downloading his stuff as potential customers, he refuses to adapt and find a way to get to their money, instead he decides to rage at them and wish they die.
    Judging by how abused the manga authors seems to be by the publishers and distributors, the internet and digital distribution has the potential to be the best thing to ever happen to mangakas, unfortunately by the sound of it to many of them seem to be actually enjoying getting sodomized.

05:37 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is becoming a increasing thing, the hurt locker director if I recall correctly said he wanted pirates' kids and relatives to die.

Comment by kajunbowser
    05:43 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yep. This mangaka has entered the same camp as her (if that's true) and Sean Penn. Disgusting.

10:49 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this kinda pertains to the topic, just a random question to throw out for discussion...
    In this time and age do you think certain types of information should be free?

11:18 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

gaijin = theft
    yes,we japanese hate gaijin..
    thx

Comment by kamugin khan
    12:42 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If you want to go back to the closed feudal Japan, it's ok. But do it right: Japan shouldn't import nothing from outside nor import nothing too!

Comment by kamugin khan
    12:44 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...export nothing too.

00:36 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And who needs you, gooks?

:-P

11:28 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

well i can understand this guys anger but cancer is a little harsh just wish them dead or something

Comment by MARl0
    09:45 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ha ha, nice. Can't say I disagree with him.

09:39 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I AM cancer. (June)
    What do I do nao?

09:12 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lulz, like that's gonna stop us.

Comment by 2DGIRLSONLY
    09:17 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dear Mangaka/publisher alliance,

If you conveniently look at your desktop icons, you will see an internet icon, upload your translated manga there, and charge a small fee then piracy will not be an issue. BUT SCREW YOU IM DOWNLOADING BIATCH....

Comment by brningpyre
    09:35 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Are the publishers just 'encouraging' all their mangaka to speak out?

09:21 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Obviously Rei Hiroe do not know of the cancer that is killing /b

Comment by Engine
    11:44 24/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So if I don't pirate how am I going to read manga that will never ever make it to American shores? Self imposed censorship is a big issue.

If I don't find it in the US, I'll put on my eye patch and pirate hat and do what pirates do best.

07:32 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

NewsFlash:
    Satoshi Kon, director of Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika and Paranoia Agent passed away on August 24 of.....pancreatic cancer. I wonder if he was downloading Black Lagoon at the time.
    But seriously, Satoshi Kon ......Rest In Peace.
    As for Rei Hiroe, we await your response.

03:57 27/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I just came here to bring it up. I hope the Black Lagoon mangaka feels like a giant asshole right now.

10:39 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess the sentence I' m looking for is... lol u mad?

08:03 26/08/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Wishing a painful death upon others?
    Yeah, that's reeeal decent. You are a decent person Rei. /sarcasm