Angel Beats Redeemed

angel-beats-animation-rectified.jpg

The first disc release of Angel Beats! was released recently, prompting rapid investigation by fans keen to see whether the notorious animation quality of the first episodes was rectified or not…

Fortunately it seems it has been largely fixed to something approaching non-Asread quality, not that is looks much less awkward. On a happier note Yurippe has found more friends for her scenes, as improbable as some might find that:

angel-beats-first-dvd-tv-comparison-003.jpg
angel-beats-first-dvd-tv-comparison-004.jpg
angel-beats-first-dvd-tv-comparison-005.jpg
angel-beats-first-dvd-tv-comparison-006.jpg
angel-beats-first-dvd-tv-comparison-007.jpg
angel-beats-first-dvd-tv-comparison-008.jpg
angel-beats-first-dvd-tv-comparison-009.jpg

Volume 1 is available now.

Comment by GHS
    04:15 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The problem with this anime was that it was just too shallow, due to the fact that it only had a mere 13 episodes. For a cast of this many characters, they just didn't have enough time to flesh them out. It had a distinctive eroge style though. More than once I could see a flag choice popping up in the middle of an episode. Also I don't see a problem with them wanting to buy figures of enjoyable characters like TK. If you don't like them or are too poor to buy them fine, but it's not like it's a bad thing in itself to market merchandise. Another reason you might not like it is if you're communist and hate capitalism; lawl jk.

06:51 16/01/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Originally it was supposed to have 26-28 episodes thatcher than the 13 or so it did have. Unfortunately this cut short a lot of back stories and arcs.

04:04 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Angel Beats was just a pathetic excuse to get us to buy crap, wasn't it? It's lucky so many people are gullible, because I'm sure they'll sell a ton of TK and Kanade figurines.

Hopefully PA Works will finally release a decent anime with all the money they should make from Angel Beats. They were much better when they were animating anime for better studios.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    07:45 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

interesting show :) might check it out someday ^^

09:18 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Its a very strong show that was rushed.

03:16 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

At least it doesn't become an endless loop-arc...still, I prefer AIR and CLANNAD better.

04:28 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

endless eight arc is needed to watch the shousitsu,
    you will never know how nagato feels if you don't watch this arc

how many times i need to repeat this

13:57 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

about 8 more times?

Comment by pilandi
    00:25 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Animation & Art: Looked super nice imo. Loved the concerts.

Music: I still listen to Alchemy and Crow Song a lot.
    Overall really nice.

Characters: Loveable cast. No one there i didnt like.

Story: This is what totally kills it. Plotholes everywhere. And the ending was totally rushed.

00:58 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i become a little disappointed about the history, it was just fine in the beginning but it became a mess in the end imo(and it really pissed me off when they already knew that kanade wasn't an angel, well she say it loud and clear in the first episode). Just 13 episodes is not enough, the sames goes to Working!!

Comment by Myballz
    01:03 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The show already ended in Japan it manage to leave a good impression.

Comment by hugh
    01:53 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Too bad it won't help with the disturbingly bad character design (except Kanade).

01:06 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is the only Key story that did not make me cry. Others make me cry, especially Clanned.

00:58 30/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Still a bad anime.

20:10 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I just wish they had more TK. =/ Now
    I will never know why he's so strange.

17:40 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't recall people being so vindictive when Bakemonogatari was doing sub-standard animation and leaving out scenes completely. Double standards, geez...

02:44 30/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The ending with Otonashi X Tenshi makes it worth watching

01:28 28/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Cant tell the difference between some of these shots.

17:20 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Come on it's 13 EPISODES no wonder it's rushed. have anyone of seen any works of key for just 13 to 12 episodes? YEAH the toei kanon one and guess what i't sucks

Comment by PhillB
    10:39 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I didn't like that show as many of you did.
    In fact, I didn't like it at all, so aside from the animation quality issues, I don't know what else is there to be redeemed.

00:01 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Key is generally ridiculous melodrama anyway. At least Angel Beats tried something different with the humor.

I'd take this over that other shit any day.

Comment by rikarika
    22:28 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Too bad the show is still shit.

Comment by Canadane
    Comment by alex251
    22:33 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The last episode was great. One of the best anime endings and there are not so many in this category :) (NGE, SchoolDays...)
    PS: hope the DVD version features more Yui-nyan...

23:12 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Too many haters here :(. Not every anime has super high production values. This one was scheduled to have only 13 episodes even though the original writer wanted more.

I hated the fact that they skipped the stories of most of the other characters. The ending for
    Yuri seemed not enough too.
    Kanade + Yuzuru ending saved it from becoming a total disappointment.

Comment by Dreck
    21:35 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mmmm and I never bothered to notice any lack of quality in anything...oh well!

If they choose *fans included* to nitpick and correct w/e it is they were harping about, then fine by me!

16:29 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I love how the corrected hand poses are still wrong. I think they're doing it on purpose to troll the nitpickers.

Comment by DFC
    21:32 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't wait for more Kanade HHHHHNNNNGGHHH on Blu-ray :3

Comment by Shippoyasha
    02:41 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't be the only one to feel burned by the ending, can I?

The show just felt like a hodgepodge especially near the end. And characters go out of character and go to weird places in the final ep..

10:27 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

agreed/10

Comment by Reizo
    10:33 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The ending was pretty funny. And stupid.

I LOVE YOU
    THANKS
    I LOVE YOU
    THANKS
    I LOVE YOU
    THANKS

21:37 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

kanade will still friendzone you in the end...

Comment by MasterYuke
    23:14 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

but it's DFC you're talking about...

08:03 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

what is there to redeem? angel beats was awesome from start to finish.. well, except for the haruhi clone thing

10:19 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, she wasn't much of a clone, in the end. Her personality was different and she actually didn't get much airtime.

Oh, and Kanade didn't friendzone Otonashi in the end. FTW.

23:19 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck. Just give me a Kanade OVA depicting her life in the living world wearing cutesy dresses! And oh, onsen + beach scenes since they have been stuck around a boring school compound all the time.

00:04 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Then have a huge blast where everyone from the SSS
    meet up and become friends lol
    Kanade OVA would rock HELL YEAH!
    ONSEN+BEACH = awesome to the fucking maximum

Comment by Ikuhisashiku
    10:36 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No smoke/steam screen pl0x. D:

I want to see kanade in all her delicious glory, nipples and all.

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    23:07 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hell yeah, I second that..!

Gonna get a HHHHHNNNNGGHHH Attack and die~

Comment by dreadx6
    00:50 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You aren't the only one, Kanade is so HHHHHHHNNNNGGGGGGGGG worthy x3

Comment by Hentai_Jp
    21:43 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No animation corrections can fix the horrible story... (watch me get downrated)

10:19 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

a negative zero the first if seen

23:46 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry guys but I have to upvote this guy just because of how stupid and depressing episode 10 was.

Comment by casiopao
    21:53 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You must be out of your mind.

Comment by rikarika
    22:30 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's retarded. I'm a huge K-On! fan and I also love stuff like Ghost in the Shell. Angel Beats is just downright bad. Only good thing was Kanade moeness, but they also fucked that up in the last episode.

Comment by alex251
    22:34 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You are a huge K-ON fan - that says it all I guess :)

Comment by GuhROOgaTRAVIS
    22:41 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Idk, when you know things are supposed to just be moe; you don't think about things like story or plot. Although, in the case of Angel Beats/Key a good story is something to be expected. The type A or B thing I find just hilarious. It's like saying, you're either a nigger or everyone else. Where's my fried chicken!?

Comment by KomariMax
    21:48 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

are u asking for it or what?

Comment by Hentai_Jp
    21:50 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am expecting that, knowing what a horde of ardent fans Angel Beats has collected despite being the worst Key work to date.

22:12 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Story wasn't THAT bad (although the last episode bored me to tears)

Comment by GuhROOgaTRAVIS
    22:30 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have to agree. By far, I like it the least out of everything by key. This series had the worst first episode I have seen ever. My coworker is notorious for liking terrible anime loves this show. Those two reasons really turned me off of Angel Beats. Didn't really have a gripe with all that poor animation quality people are talking about. It had nice music though.

21:56 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

guess someone forgot to take their pill today

Comment by AiEm
    23:19 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Show was enjoyable in terms of eyecandy and quirkiness...

Drama... was left to be desired... Didn't even reach to a certain level of sympathy that I was expecting. So it was disappointment for me.

Show had so much in it. Iwasawa's and Otonashi's arc were the best. Though other than that... Meh....

This didn't even reach Air's level of emotion. At that time I didn't know if she was gonna make it or not. They alloted a couple of episodes which was a great build up.

Here... Not that gags are bad but they have so little time. Why allot so much time for the comedy? Here's where I think they've gone wrong. Then came the so called plot... The shadow thing or whatever. Occupied two of the last 3 episodes and leaving only one making it a very tight room for an ending.

So with that.. The ending was lackluster. Not to mention a certain cliched scene was more awkward than it should have been.

Some people will cry but IMO this is by far the weakest Visual Key work I have ever encountered.

So far I haven't read Little Busters! nor Tomoyo After so I can't judge those but IMHO, Planetarian is the best I've seen from them. Next to that will be Clannad.

Too bad Planetarian is so underrated.

Comment by Azure Xuchilbara
    23:12 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@ Hentai_JP

Why don't you fap to some Angel Beats guro to cool off..?

I know how it is...So just let all the hate paste out and then come back and enjoy the show...

Like I always say, nothing like fapping to the death/gore of your favorite anime character(s) to really feel that intimate connection~

Comment by KomariMax
    22:41 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I know what u mean.. I also have that type of a friends. having taste that no one can associate with. side note, the story is overly rush til its shit. The only story & character i care maybe is Kanade's only while i can forget the rest except the music piece

22:56 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Worst Key work? I heard Tomoyo After was really mediocre, and Angel Beats is quite good. Not as good as Clannad or Little Busters, but good nonetheless.

22:37 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"No animation corrections can fix the horrible story... (watch me get downrated)"

I'll give you a salute for saying the truth! People will still say it's a masterpiece though.... No changing that...

I did enjoy the cliche'd forced drama KAAAANAAAAAADEEEEEEEE!

Even better when you imagine Akira....

TETSUOOOOOOOOOO!