Publishers to Sue Manga Piracy Sites

pirate-gold-by-nogami-takeshi.jpg

As promised, the newly formed coalition of Japanese and US manga publishers has indicated it is pursuing legal action against major manga piracy and scanlation sites in defence of its copyrights.

The Digital Comic Association, a Japanese publisher group supposedly formed to promote digital sales but fast turning into the manga equivalent of the RIAA, has partnered with 4 top English language publishers to tackle a short-list of 30 problem sites.

Starting with the US sites, those who ignore legal warnings will be sued for damages and subjected to criminal charges where appropriate.

With the sites in question maintaining substantial server presences in the US (although at least one major network is managed by a shady Chinese company), it does not seem likely publishers will have much trouble shutting them down.

Publishers may be in for a rude awakening once they have taken down the major offenders – in lieu of a proper legal online alternative, a rush of freeloading manga fans to even more robust torrent sites seems the likely response, not a sudden rush to bookshops as publishers rather naively seem to hope.

00:40 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If it weren't for those sites I wouldn't have ever known manga. If they really went through with it, I will never read manga since it is really expensive and not accessible where I live. Can't they be content with the prophet they make from legal purchases? They are going to kill manga fandome in the rest of the world. I hate this imperialism.

Comment by Sukunai
    00:44 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I'm going to mention 'valuable coupons inside' again.

You know how they mail ya them envelopes with 'valuable coupons inside'? It's called marketing. You never sell more than your market is interested in buying. Illegal downloads are not lost sales. Those people stole something they only stole because they could.

The internet is not going anywhere. People with a product to sell should just accept they have a finite pool of actual buyers and get over it.

Yeah, I'd rather have a nice large manga library. I'd rather have a lot of things. I don't get everything I want though. That's called reality. Reality happens to business just like it happens to me.

If they want to sell manga on 21st century planet earth, using 20th century business methods means they suffer internet downloads and they sell inefficiently.

My advice, sell through retail, and sell through digital download, and stfu about the fact that people will steal.

I wouldn't download a car, fucking Christ, who made that advertisement eh. I'd fucking well download a Porsche in a second if I could. Fucking right I would. Wouldn't steal a purse? actually people do steal purses. Actually they steal cars too, but you have to steal those in person. It's called grand theft auto in the US. Not sure of the Canadian term.

I'd buy downloadable manga if the price was sane.

I wonder why Artefact doesnt reply to this kinds of comments

16:12 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

.....because if he can't win the argument, he runs away and hides!

Or because this argument is stupid and not worth his time?

Comment by Strawdoll
    04:27 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

A publisher that has no one buying what they published will always be a dead publisher.

So by removing all these 'elements of piracy' will it change that fact? I'd have the pleasure to say 'nope nadda nadda'. You remove the sites, it still doesn't change the fact that no one buys from you. Suck it up, suckers.

All in all, lawsuits are only the best action these old-business-model-runners can think of. Matter of time before they are phased out.

EDIT : Forgot to add - lawsuits cost money, and it definitely don't look good on your tabs.

08:10 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And I suppose you know of a way to digitize and/or streamline the manga publishing process to a more cost-effective production model?

Comment by Strawdoll
    16:31 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No, unfortunately. Be happy to listen to if you have any to share.

00:14 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yes, we are all pirates. But I prefer it this way. Do you know why? Because I do not want to go outside my room to buy some magazines, because I do not like talking to people. Actually I am not used to read a magazines or newspapers or books anymore, it seems unnatural for me when compared to reading it on display.

Why to talk to someone? It's troublesome, I spend 90% of my day alone in my college room, and my only companions are computer and internet!!!

Comment by denkikoiji
    03:47 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

.......this is annoying lets say all the sites are sued and closed dow do they know that there will just be a rise in the number of new sites.....close say the top 20 sites you wanna know what will happen i would say at least 200 will pop up lol.....and you want to know how much it coasts to buy 1 chapter of a manga here it is almost 22$ usd ...and there are only 2 places to buy it...i have to go online to get anything and the only problem is that shipping is exactly the same price of how much i buy... i hate that... lol

Comment by caiooa
    04:37 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

fansubers will just move back to irc channels and publishers know that <3

03:00 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

The antipiracy coalition should pay the scanlators and fansubbers for free marketing of their series and just general interest in Japanese culture.

02:52 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Yes, convince me to buy your product by going after scanslators instead of doing the same thing yourself (TIMELY accurate translation of manga distributed digitally without painful DRM and high chance of translated until the end) and selling it to me digitally at a decent price...

If manga was actually translated, distributed digitally, localized in days to weeks, cheaper and even somewhat reliable in reaching an ending, i would buy much more if it.

06:01 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Service similar to Spotify could solve this and fix many of the current bottlenecks in distribution. Maybe we could create a petition for this? "We are willing to pay for digital copies, please provide us the service."

As a starting point, could Artifact set up a poll to this site?

"What monthly fee would you be willing to pay for having unlimited access to digital copies of manga?"
    - 5 x / month
    - 10 x / month
    - 15 x / month

22:16 27/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I've got a little memo for the publishers, acts like this do not make me want to buy your product.

When the RIAA began to sue individuals, I vowed to never buy another audio cd. And to this day, I have not. Now the MPAA has foolishly chosen to take the same path the RIAA took and I once again, vow to not buy their product. No longer will I buy Hollywood movies, as with audio cds.

I'm for attacking sites which exist purely to turn a profit at the publishers expense, be it movies/music/anime/comics/mangs/whatever.

Those sites should be killed off, but don't attack the individuals who buy your product. They may not buy every product, but they buy enough of them. And chances are, if they choose to download it, instead of buy it, they were never going to buy it to begin with.

Anything I've ever pirated, I've never intended to buy. I merely wanted to check it out or downloaded on a whim. It has absolutely nothing to do with being cheap or not wanting to pay. And as far as I'm concerned, there is ZERO difference between downloading something or signing it out at the public library.

Oh, but you return a book, you say? I could take a book from the library to the xerox machine or a flatbed scanner and generate a copy, much like I could simply copy a jpg file. The only difference is the amount of work it takes. And the fact that you assume everyone with a downloaded copy is going to redistribute it. When in reality, it'll either be archived or deleted.

So yeah, don't sue your fans or logical thinkers, such as myself will no longer buy your crap.

Comment by Artefact

Another self-righteous pirate.

In the unlikely event you're telling the truth, it's still clear the vast majority of pirates are just in it for what they can get for free and a significant proportion are dissuaded from buying anything due to their ability to pirate.

15:58 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Anyone can pirate a game, yet millions are still sold. Will people that can pirate, pay for it? Some will, yes. Will all pirates have paid to buy it anyways? Probably not. But then no side will ever win that argument. Some pirates would never buy aything, ever, even if they had the money. So they are not hurting anyone. But how to prove that theory? You can't either way.

00:05 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it is funny cuz he is saying if he download something then he didnt intend to buy it, it looks like he didnt intend to buy manga anyway

said and say it again

if you change the hosts to a country they do not license manga it would be easier

13:53 23/05/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Fucking bullshit! there's nothing wrong with copying and sharing. It's called FILESHARING NOT "PIRACY" you dumb publishing fucks! If i buy something i can AND WILL do as i please with it. If i want to copy it and share it with the world I CAN AND WILL DO SO! ... the only thiefes here more often than not, end up being the dam publishers; and then they get on their moral high horse and tell people about morals... LOL!

19:58 21/01/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

In the U.S, I wouldn't buy manga anyways, 90% of the time it's been censored both physically and textually,they usually only carry stuff geared towards people under 16 to begin with and shove it off in the kids section.
    Also the translations are usually localized to rather than getting a "Note"
    some things going on in the story line get changed to buttfuckery or completely dropped.
    All for a Five dollar price hike.

20:50 27/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Having tons of manga can be impractical for someone in such a small living space as mine.
    I would have to read it then throw it away.
    I would keep maybe 20 volumes max?
    I don't have more space then that.
    If they sold it in nice hi es scans.......I could keep thousands on a hard drive........

21:07 27/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I see a lot of manga I like taken down...

I'd gladly pay for any decent alternative, but alas, there is NONE for me.
    The price vs. quality ratio in my country is pretty low for translated series. Cheap online distribution would be a good solution I think (since now the manga costs too much for what it's worth), but there seem to be some practical problems with that as no-one does it?
    C'mon publishers, there has to be SOME decent solution?

If they just took profit from the rising popularity of manga internationally, instead of trying to kill it...

Comment by Sukunai
    21:23 27/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Oh like this is a difficult prediction.

Phase 1, shut down sites on turf that can be influenced.

Phase 2, sites open on sites they can't touch.

Phase 3 business as usual.

Phase 4, MPAA and or RIAA wannabe comic organization gets to suck on it, and they make no more than they were in the beginning.

Maybe if these retards just tried to USE the internet instead of bitching about it, I might care. But I suffer not fools.

Step 5: ?????

Step 6: PROFIT

01:29 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Finally, let's hope onemanga gets shut down for good.

16:16 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think you meant to type...
    "Finally, let's hope narutofan gets shut down for good", RIGHT!?

01:24 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sooner or later, you can't read manga online anymore :)

02:44 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

but you would still be able to download it

Comment by Chen-04
    04:34 19/05/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

2014 here. Turns out it wasn't 'sooner'. But sure,.. later will come.

01:00 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Part of the problem with North American manga and anime selling poorly can be traced directly to the cost of those products for the consumer.

A season of anime can cost $50 or more. A season of a North American cartoon costs roughly $25-$30. For $13, you can get a comicbook-sized, full color trade paperback of a north american comic. For $10, you can get a novel-sized, black and white tankobon of a manga. Those numbers don't look too bad until you realize that a long-running series like Naruto, running weekly, can put out a tankobon once every two months, compared to six months for a north american comic.

It's an expensive hobby.

02:28 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Blanket statements like this are absurd. Anime season sets for $50? Maybe if you go to brick and mortar stores that mark up the prices like crazy. Online retailers like Amazon and Right Stuf typically have far more reasonable prices. And even if a box set does break the $50 mark, it's still less expensive than buying the individual DVD's overall.

And of course, anime is UNIVERSALLY less expensive in North America than in Japan, where the prices can (and usually do) go two or three times higher.

Comment by Ota-Kool
    01:13 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No way that's abuse of power we have rights to read because the manga book is not available here in my country materially but virtually in the net it is!

03:15 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, that WON't help at all.

People might get back where it all started: "IRC" and "Usenet"

They cannot shut down every IRC server in this world [..] Most scanlators offer their scanlated work in IRC networks already!!

Industry is blocking just the mainstream readers, but not the core readers with advanced technological knowledge.

06:37 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Sometimes I cant believe that so many people really believe that publishers go after piracy sites cause they believe that they can shut down all forever.

You country have police, does that makes all crimes go away?

its always have been about control.

Piracy do hurts, there are many people who pirate cause they can and its free, it DOES hurt sales. I am one of them and the numbers are not small.

Face it. Its your moral problem. Unlike music which many people listen to it over and over and artist sells on their charisma for fans. Many times manga are only see once then its next. Keep talking about sample and yet after you seen it, its fine.

Manga is alot different from music.

I can give many reasons, in the end it all boils down to you are just not willing to pay for the entertainment, there is just a problem with your moral.

If I am really so concern about the artist, why dont I just sent the mangaka money as donation straight to their address. I dont cause I wont and never intend to. I can get it for free after all.

Yet this same people are always going on why is the world becoming worst? Stupid laws, censorship, religion fag. How different are you from them? Its never my problem, its always is because they dont listen to ME. ME. ME. ME.

If Im them I will not do this and will do a flawless job, make the best policy, run the best way that all people will be happy.

Why wont people recognise that the root of the problem is that there is just something wrong about ME first. Then work from there.

11:56 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I have spent hundreds of dollars a year in the past purchasing translated manga from these people. What have they given me in return? Censored art work, butchered cultural references, terrible "Americanized" translations, and most offensively, sometimes they didn't even finish the god damn series. And when you really like the series? They put out one volume every 3-4 months when they're literally dozens of volumes behind the current content being published in Japan.

I would buy individual digital chapters released weekly. I would buy digital "magazines" at the same price they get them in Japan. I would buy cheaply priced digital books released in a timely fashion. At this point in my life as a collector, I have so much stuff in my small living space that I no longer have any interest in buying $10 shitty paperback books sight unseen. They don't want that old business model to die. Please, tell me why I should care when they refuse to update their sales model with the times.

And then why is it that the manga you USED to buy have problems with Censored art work, butchered cultural references, terrible "Americanized" translations?

The very same reasons that its the country YOU live in, YOU vote for the government. YOU create those rules, YOU give them that market perception. The laws that YOU created, YOU implemented the censorship.

And why is it not continued? Cause YOU Pirate it, YOU not supporting it, there is no economy sense in continuing it.

YOU know whats the worst? YOU are not going to do anything about it. And so it all goes back to square one.

You know what? Im a pirate, Im ashamed, Im bad, its not correct. Its a bad karma and someday it will come back to bite me in the ass.

But of cause YOU are not. YOU are just punishing them for not listening to YOU. IT YOUR god given right to do so.

"If only they listen to ME. ME. ME."

Hey, i havent even gotten to the company part.

16:54 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Hey jackass, you missed the part where I said I WOULD buy it again if it was reasonably priced digital content considering the bullshit they do to the releases over here. And the government has nothing to do with the censorship a private business decides to impose on its imported products in the name of getting better sales numbers. If I could smack some sense into the "God fearing" populace and remove all the racist attitudes in the country by voting for a particular lying politician, I sure as shit would have by now. Unfortunately, this country flips its royal wig at the sight of a nipple or hints of sex, even if they don't blink an eye when half a dozen pages later someone is graphically murdered with bits all over the street. I know the reasons they do it, but it makes me no less bitter about the practice.

And it's not punishing them to not buy the digital downloads they don't have available for purchase. I've given enough of my paychecks over to the terrible US anime/manga industry that I don't think I'll have any trouble sleeping while I wait for them to get their act together. If that day ever comes, they'll have my money on a regular basis again. After all, I like the material, they're just not making it available for me to purchase.

You on the other hand are an internet raging self proclaimed pirate. Like you said, karma will be back to bite you in the ass someday.

12:28 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Apparently you both have difficulty with the English language and are an extreme government conspiracy theorist. This is a consumer business we're discussing here. They believe that that Christian America doesn't want to see certain things in their manga, and so they censor and heavily localize them in an attempt to get better book space in Borders/B&N/etc, and avoid the wrath of soccer moms who aren't looking at what they're buying their kids like retards. That's a business decision to do so. It has nothing to do with the government you nutty fruit cake.

Now, I used to buy that product. I was dissatisfied with the quality they were giving for the amount they charge, so I showed with my wallet like any consumer venture, and stopped buying. When I wasn't buying their shit, I did buy some of the original Japanese tankubons. I'd say about 100 of them if not more. So all your bullshit about how I'm just as bad as you is garbage. You're a filthy pirate who thinks the government is out to get him. I'm a customer waiting to return when they pull their heads out of their asses and distribute product properly for the times. In the meantime, I can get the originals for half the price of the translated off Amazon or at an anime convention and find the translations online. Does that do it for your "goodwill"?

16:00 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

lol..please. Do you think any person voted into office ever does what they say they will? No. It's not OUR choice these insane laws and things are passed. People get voted in on silver lined clouds and never, ever, do what they promise because they usually are nto allowed ot by the bitter losers of the vote.

18:28 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Now you have level up. Is that how you are taught to talk to people? Name calling? just because I have a different opinion then you?

Is this how your country's education and society have bought you up?

And for all your writing do you want to be taken seriously by people reading or just another raging person useless rant?

The market does not just consist of YOU alone. The YOU I been talking about is the whole lot of people. Even if they release it digitally, it be in japanese. If they are aiming for the states market, it will still be "localise". Cause thats how the government and society and culture over your side deem it.

I didnt miss the part that says you will buy if it is digital. Its your choice, what do you want me to say? Good for you? Good boy in the future?

you know what? its currently not digital distributed base on marketing decision. Its no point of me talking about this what if if its not happening.

Answer me this: Are you so SURE that

"the government has nothing to do with the censorship a private business decides to impose on its imported products in the name of getting better sales numbers."

Are you so very sure about this? Or are you just trying to ignore it in you mind.

You keep saying you dont like this about your country and yet why are you not doing anything to change it? Or is it in the end your ideas are nothing more then ideas for self interest? Is it only about ME.

So you will continue to justify pirating just cause they dont do it in the way you like? If you dont like the US, have you ever even consider buying from the japanese straight? Or as So many people said ever consider sending money to mangaka straight? sending them a cheque and a thank you note.

I spent a significant amount of my life money buying food. Buy now I only steal them cause they dont want to offer things in the way I want in the amount I want in the price. Still I want to eat you know. Its their fault and I will continue to steal until they get their act right FOR ME. After all I do like food.

Yes I am a USELESS and BAD self proclaim pirate. So why are you any different currently? I use to buy too you know?

Answer me this: karma will be back to bite me in the ass someday. So... why is it not the case for you too? What makes you so special?

And where and when did I seems like I ever rage? especially in comparing to you. Please answer me this for all your goodwill.

You on the other hand are clearly an idiot who cant think straight. Apparently all your country and society have taught you are for nothing.

Get out of your own shell and look around you more. Go on keep changing your pathetic story. Keep lying and keep your own supremacist attitude. Go back to school if you dont think business are affected by government policy, society attitude etc. How stupid cant you get. Yeah only in America. Your country society and environment is created by YOU. You go and clean up YOUR own shitty place.

You pirate their work, you are nothing more then that. Im A filthy pirate who at least can admit it. You on the other hand not only dont have the balls but also think you are all mighty. Oh yes, only an american.

wow... you can even lol me.

And yet YOU are the ones that keep voting for the same people with the same policy and same speech, reasoning. Also KNOWING FULLY that things are never going to change. Are YOU a masochist? willing going through all the pain again and again.

It is YOUR choice, YOU Choose to VOTE. Dont listen then dont ever vote them until they do. Its a democracy, Guess what, all those things YOU deem stupid is backed by the majority of YOU.

Again YOU are not going to do anything about it and just vote again for the same thing next time. Wow.. so much for democracy, so much for freedom and choice. The Land of the "free"... he..

"If only they listen to ME. ME. ME."

16:02 28/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They say, in their own words, that they ARE trying to close down all sites forever. So I'm not sure hwat you're point is when the people atatcking these places only speak of killing them and all that follow forever.

They are not Idiots. Dont even stop for one moment to think that they are and while people like you and me and others beside them are the only people with intelligences. They dont get to where they are by being total idiots.

Do I even have to explain it?

In all around the world, polices are set up to shut down crimes TOTALLY and FOREVER. But have any of them ever succeeded? So does that means they are useless and so should be shut down? Its always about being in control and not let things go out of hand.

If only they can have their total ways they will shut down all. BUT... you know it well, I know it well and THEY also know it all too well they cant and NEVER will can. At least with current situation and things etc... Does that mean just because reality is harsh they should not do anything if they wont be TOTALLY effective?

15:17 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

A plocewman in one little town will have a much better chance catching a drunk driver than any publisher will ever have of closing down anything on the world wide web. This is compeltely pointless, where a cop in one small area doing good is not pointless.

So...cops in their own areas do stop things, therefore they have a job and get the job done an still never stop everything. However, publishers in a world wide area will not do squat. Futile. Waste of money they could use to actually roll with the times and start to make money.

17:24 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They only need to stop major website etc. When things are harder to find on the web that people wanted, more are willing to shell out money for the entertainment they wanted. Who could say its useless. If they mange to control the piracy to some degree, many more people will realise that they will have to pay for their entertainment and will be willing to shell out the money to do so.

If nothing is ever ever done, the mentally of people will never put any value on it and will think nothing to just pirate it. Dont we all always hear,

"look if the party concerned are not even trying to do anything to stop the issue at hand, it means its fine to do it." Substitute it with publisher, mangaka, piracy.

Its not pointless.

Comment by Chen-04
    19:25 05/08/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

"When things are harder to find on the web that people wanted, more are willing to shell out money for the entertainment they wanted."
    lololololol

I started to import Manga from the US because of scanlations, but I stopped because what they published wasn't enjoyable. They fucked up, I stopped buying. Simple as that. (And I'm not talking about 1 publisher, I probably tried them all and own >100 Manga.)

Comment by Belthasar
    15:03 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That's kind of annoying, considering that the only manga I read on those sites are those that are not likely to be brought over here where I can buy them.

Comment by Y0k41
    03:50 30/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm, now how will I sample manga online before I buy them for real at the store?? It is so much more satisfying owning a few shelves with your favorite series in them, rather than just reading them online/storing them in your hard-drive.
    Well, I suppose they won't ever truly be able to stop the distribution of all these, so I don't see much wrong with them trying to keep it under control a bit. But the fact that they're suing individuals is pretty lame in itself....

Comment by kache
    03:37 30/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, good luck.

Comment by PrinceHeir
    07:15 29/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

it would be cool if they offer a client that is available to the "whole world"(not just america) kinda like steam where it updates if there's a error and such sadly it will be a long time till that happen until then publishers will just keep ripping of the authors of the series and what not.