Fullmetal Alchemist: End is Nigh in More Ways Than One

• Author: Artefact
  • Categories: Uncategorized
  • Date: May 9, 2010 11:39 JST

elric-brothers-by-sakamoto-mineji.jpg

The long running and hugely successful manga Fullmetal Alchemist has been confirmed as ending in the upcoming July issue of Shonen Gangan, prompting fans to wonder what future awaits both Gangan and the latest manga in its absence.

Both anime and manga were previously said to be sharing a simultaneous ending, so depending on its character this probably marks the end of the franchise.

fma-ending.jpg

The real problem with the story’s conclusion is that Fullmetal Alchemist was the third best selling manga of 2009, behind One Piece and Nana and just ahead of Naruto, with the recent volumes selling in the region of 1,250,000 copies each.

With the industry lately having trouble generating new hits, the loss of what was probably the most original of the big selling titles of recent years could be a major blow the publisher and industry will not quickly recover from.

00:25 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Happy and sad FMA gonna end =(

Hope some series know when to end manga...

19:34 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the industry needs another cowboy bebop.

19:48 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Cowboy bebop was not even popular in japan, just overseas

20:57 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You're gonna carry that wieght

16:58 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

=D!!!! hey, I made that image =D!!!!!!!!!

16:48 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't mind it ending since i never really liked FMA :)

17:15 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i would rather have it end it its prime than drag on for 10 years.

Comment by ShibariComplex
    17:33 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

NNOOOOOOOOOOO! ;___;

17:19 11/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You know what would sell when this is gone? A good manga with a compelling story and not a slew of Moe blob and crude jokes. I mean the latter is fine and all, with moderation, but I miss the slew of great stories that were once presented, now it's like searching for that one golden nugget of story telling goodness in a sea of crap.

Comment by Gigagaia
    11:03 11/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, the manga ends in June, not july. The anime will have the same ending as the manga and the anime ends June 27th, roughly two weeks after the june chapters.

00:00 11/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hope this means no fillers in brotherhood

02:07 12/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

*SPOILER* AL DIED! STUPID AL!

06:20 12/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If it has to end then that OK with me. All I ask is that is goes out strong.

Comment by Gigagaia
    02:14 13/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

There won't be filler in brotherhood. It was confirmed to be 63 episodes and follow the story of the manga. The ending is gonna be the same ending as the manga. The last episode airs on June 27, therefore, the next chapter, which is chapter 108 and gonna be released in June is the last one.

It doesn't end in july, that article here is completely wrong, it ends in June. Also, it said at the end of chapter 107 that next month, it ends.

I dunno if everyone here can just post articles or if it's only some contributers, but the fact that post fake articles like that without even verifying their infos makes this place looks gay.

Comment by QuirkZ
    00:55 29/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

FMA WILL BE MISSED!! It's truely a story like no other that really takes you places emotionally and get's you thinking one of my all time favorites! The first show was okay but it's nothing compared to the magnitude of the manga and brotherhood ALL HAIL AUTOMAIL

14:24 12/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Soooo I'm a little confused. They say the manga and anime will share an ending. Does that mean the the new anime will end at the same time as the manga or that they will simply have the same ending?

Comment by Abel Liegod
    23:45 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

no way, it cant be....
    NO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY....*fade in darkness*

11:41 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm glad it's ending. I'm glad Arakawa is giving it a solid conclusion instead of having it dragged out to 600 + chapters like goddamn Naruto or Inuyasha.

07:08 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i hope it ends well and not like MO or double arts

09:41 12/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

or chrono crusade

18:25 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

At least its finishing while its ahead, so to speak.
    unlike some manga/anime. naming no names. XD

20:22 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You mean Full Metal Alchemist 1? >.>

09:23 11/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No. Something like Naruto.
    Its been going on for WAYYYY too long. :P

15:16 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Thank God, now to wait for Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto to finally finish hopefully sometime this decade

14:51 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wanted to say that Bleach and Naruto are kind of in their last arcs right now but then I realized with their slow pace the mangaka can still drag out another 200 chapters.

12:53 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The industry must support the good stories like the good Youkai Mangas of the past as Ushio and Tora, Jigoku Sensei Nube, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, etc.
    The priority is to stop spreading the Moe-Ecchi Mangas like To-Love-ru and shits like the generic never ending Shonen´s like Naruto and One Piece.
    I like ecchi mangas but in the past those kind of mangas had value like in "Video Girl Ai".

20:11 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah, read One Piece and throw away Naruto and Bleach rubbish. One Piece also coming to its climax soon, its not like it is never ending story. Even so, it is still the best among those two Narushit and Bleachshit.

23:48 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Comparing One Piece to shit like Naruto?

Sit down.

15:10 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Stop spewing shit about one piece when it's obvious you haven't even read it, anon.

14:51 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol@One Piece being generic. Go read it, newfag.

Comment by motaku96
    12:49 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm glad it's ending instead of being dragged on. Hope it has a nice satisfying conclusion.

Comment by Schrobby
    22:13 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah. It's a pity that good ends are rather rare...

Comment by Wisteria Berlitz
    12:49 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

sad to see it go....loved the series...and Edward

Comment by alidan
    13:32 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

is the person who wrote this saying they would rather run a story into the fucking ground and make many of those who read the thing fucking hate it, ala naruto, bleach, and so many others, than to see it end when the author wants to end it?

13:36 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All good things must come to an end, but FMA truly had a great run. Everything will be able to be concluded neatly, there was never a dull moment with these recent chapters, characters are kicking ass and it still had some good humor going for it.

Not every manga should be like another Bleach or Naruto. If anything, FMA's plot stood tall with its quality, so I'm pretty sure Hiromi Arakawa will come up with a manga that's just as fun.

If Naruto and Bleach do end though, let us give them a fine farewell and hopefully the next-gen manga will be just as entretaining.

13:23 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I would hope to see a new original manga by a rookie author... But maybe I'm asking for too much.

At the veru least, more attention to existing manga that is usually ignored. Gunnm Last Order comes to mind.

13:21 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ugh. The hate on the shonen jump titles. Some things are so good you don't want them to end. I can only say that about One Piece though. If FMA came out once a week instead of once a month it would have lasted about 300 something chapters, if not more because of how the weekly release affects the story telling process.
    I love FMA and I'm glad it's finally ending. The later parts of the story feel like much has happened but little accomplished but I can't wait to see how it all ends. I'm surprised the manga has had two 50+ episode series and still hasn't ended yet.

16:36 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can easily see One Piece easily hitting 1000 Chapters and I'm glad it will ;)

01:43 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Completely agree. One Piece is the only example of never-ending shounen that actually works.

09:55 12/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think you mean Conan, bro.

Comment by sanimej2
    12:00 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Another great title in the history books!

*tears* So long Elric brothers!

Comment by Black_King_Vegeta
    12:27 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Your avatar image is emulating me in real life. 9 years of fun with FMA, July shall be a sad month, but hopefully good too :P

11:52 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bring back Double Arts then!

Comment by DK
    12:00 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think Japanese manga artist know the meaning of the word, "Revival." Once a series is dead/cancelled, there's an EXTREMELY LOW possibility of it ever getting revived.

05:07 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Trigun Maximum,

18:07 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The guy said extremely low, not no chance at all. Giving one example where it did happen (out of thousands where it didn't) just makes their point.

14:43 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Definitely agree.

15:15 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

seconded

Comment by BANNED_fei
    11:41 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

whhhhhhhhhy!?

such a good manga....sad to see it go...

Comment by CaptainFawful
    12:53 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

See you, Space Alchemist...

Comment by Ghost Dog
    13:01 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I would personally try to bring FMA back to life, but we all know how those things work out.

Comment by HARDKOAR
    11:48 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Once FMA goes, another good mangaka or himself will come up with another amazing story will take its place, it happens all the time. albeit it is a shame to see a good manga go, it must happen for us to see what others can come up with.

20:04 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

hope the mangaka will not share the same fate as Nobuhiro Watsuki...

Comment by BlaqCat
    23:05 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd rather see it end while still on top, than die a used up whore.

Comment by Shiro_Amada
    16:22 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

About damn time it was ended! I've been seriousely thinking about dropping it, like I did with Naruto, Bleach and One Piece...

It just dragged on for so long, I got bored!

Comment by BlaqCat
    23:07 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Usually I drop these things for about 30 or so chapters, then read to see where it is, then drop again when I'm bored. But I don't think I've ever perma-dropped anything.

16:29 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All good things must come to an end. Better off for it to go away in a blaze of glory rather than to die being a series that fans despise at the end of its life due to diminishing new ideas and recycled themes.

I can't say I like the Japanese business model as a whole, but they should not follow the US drama series' formula for example: keep airing shows season after season until the audience get sick of it(Frasier, Friends, Sex and The City, CSI...)

Comment by Gradius
    03:55 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It need to end since is starting to get boring again.

11:50 11/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You can begin to read Übell Blatt from the same "Mangazine"...

13:27 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

herself actually. mangaka of FMA is a woman.

12:00 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

2012.....

Comment by Schrobby
    22:08 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Everything has to end somewhere, to make room for new ventures.

Comment by H-Ero
    16:55 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

IMO the characters in FMA deserve a happy ending after all the shit they went through.

Comment by Shanyy
    16:59 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't like neverending shiat like Naruto, Bleach, or One Piece. I'm glad FMA is concluding.

17:41 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

14:06 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"I want happy endings where the protagonist really earn them. Where you feel like destiny wasn't just pushing them from behind towards victory. That they grabbed and clawed their way to get their happy ending."

The cast of FMA certainly deserves that happy ending. I mean, look at the shit they went through, seriously.

05:05 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed, +10

15:51 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good things must end, bad things however, last forever.

12:56 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well now, don't go giving them any ideas. The thing we want to see the least now is the mangaka trying to milk the series for all its worth and creating another Bleach which would have been a much better series if it just ended.

12:42 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Lilith has clearly never read Hikaru no Go.

Worst. Ending. Ever.

Comment by yaku
    12:37 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. If it didn't end and just went on and won it would become a piece of shit like like some titles that started awesome and went down the drain.

FMA is good because it won't bullshit you with endless fillers just to keep the ending at bay.

12:27 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm agree.
    As they say, all good things must end.

Comment by Lilith
    12:05 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why are you sad to see it end? In my honest opinion what makes manga/anime so much better than any western series is the fact they have endings, and good ones at that.

Can't wait to see what the ending of FMA will be like.

Comment by Psychosomatic
    12:16 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

True. It's nice when a great story actually has some manner of closure. Kind of a 'better to burn out than fade away' thing.

Comment by MasterYuke
    13:37 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

they better make it have an impact such as Cowboy Bebop's ending.

13:56 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think that a major character dying would fit here. Or at least...I REALLY would not like that to happen. It's been enough of a thriller as it is, I don't want it to suddenly happen at the end to where someone else dies.

15:47 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Good endings? You're joking right? It's either bad, with most people dying, or bittersweet with them living but not in a good way. Which is also bad. But at least they do end I guess.

16:04 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I disagree, those kind of endings are generally the best. I, personally, am dead sick of seeing the endless troll of happy endings in media. It makes them all too predictable.

When an ending adds some realism by not being all gold roses and rainbow potatoes things are far more interesting.

I'm looking forwards to the conclusion of this series and what comes afterwords.

14:52 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The anime version of Bleach has plenty of filler to keep its time slot...but the manga looks well on its way to closure with the huge final battle.

12:17 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I sure hope so... there haven't been any really amazing new series in recent years that have been really big mainstream moneymakers though. Because as powerful as K-ON! otaku may be, long tail is probably not going to save the industry alone.

14:08 09/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I applaud any writer who has the integrity to let the series end when it needs to end, rather than stretching it on ad-infinitum and overworking it. These never ending works often start out inspired, but end up becoming watered down and diminished.

Comment by Bebop
    03:53 10/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Gotta agree.
    Whenever something good is ending, I'm sad to see it go, but think to myself "at least it's not being run into the ground."