Angel Beats Quality from the Get-Go

angel-beats-quality-001.jpg

Angel Beats has been touted as a major cross-media production, but the error-riddled first episode has already been made a laughing stock, being variously described as “cheap” and having “pathetic composition.”

angel-beats-quality-002.jpg

The classic mistake.

angel-beats-quality-003.jpg

Apparently nobody trained her how to aim a rifle either – or perhaps she is just having difficulty on account of her hands.

angel-beats-quality-004.jpg

angel-beats-quality-005.jpg

angel-beats-quality-006.jpg

Viewers point to animation mistakes, inconsistent character design, poor scene composition, and an overwhelming feeling of “cheapness” – and all in the first episode, traditionally where the quality is kept unrealistically high – as reasons for their disappointment.

angel-beats.jpg

angel-beats-vs-haruhi-comparison-2.jpg

Possibly the overwhelming similarity of the heroine to a certain iconic monomaniac (although in the actual anime the resemblance seems to have deteriorated along with the quality) was a major warning flag about the title.

Theses comparisons, though tired, are unlikely to stop and the similarities must have been obvious to producers from the outset. Just why they went along with the design is quite the mystery – laziness, sheer unoriginality or worse?

In spite of all this plenty were prepared to call the title amusing (although as many were seemingly unable to comprehend its convoluted storyline), so it may be too early to write it off as a failed anime.

Comment by Daiyousei
    05:54 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know about you folks, but I found it to be excellent; both amusing and intriguing, and with nice art. Things aren't perfect; that's the way of everything. You can always find something to criticize productions about, always. Angel Beats looks a hell of a lot better than a ton of the shit out there, and I know I'll be watching it.

Additionally, was it perhaps considered that the man in question was actually like a foot and a half taller than the girl in the second picture? She was crouching, he is extremely tall. I generally enjoy the articles on this site, but this one seems to be aimed at trashing an anime which is far better than many of those around it, even with the inevitable error or two.

12:46 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a trigger reaction. Most of the haters here have been Haruhi fans. After being burned by the 2nd season, they simply associate anything that reminds them of Haruhi with "FAIL".

As for the rest of us, we do not notice weird hand positions, untrained weapons handling, or perspective errors. Those are simply cheap shots that you would find in any other animes (e.g, even in Haruhi).

What matters is the way the episode was put together, and it was great. Subtle bgm, light relief vs heavy action, etc.

06:13 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Bleh animation DOES look shitty from the screenshots.Apparently some people like this....I can't imagine why.

04:56 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, man ... I really wanted to like this series. I was basing that on the quality of Kanon 2006, Air, and Clannad.

I'll stick with it through Ep 4; if they haven't improved by then (or have gotten worse), then, "sayonara."

05:10 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Any one notice Yuri's rifle looks like CheyTac Intervention?

06:58 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

One of the few watchable animes this spring, I'll follow this one.

Comment by GHS
    07:18 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And of course, typical Sankaku bashing based on first impressions. Hahaha, I swear, Artefact has most of the users on Sankaku literally trained to bash on anything a negative article is made about with all those China articles. Yes, there are blantant mistakes in the first episode. But this is also literally Maeda's first ever anime episode he produced, so it's too early to call this a sinker just yet.

04:45 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah I'm one of those who don't understand the story behind Angel Beats. I can get pass anything but their setting for the afterlife which i believe is all just one repetitive redundant game of "Who can kill the most". At least when your a soul in Bleach you can die.
    But to be more specific i think the author has gotten the mythology of the story wrong. For instance it would be a grim reaper/death or a "shinigami" who takes souls to either heaven or hell.

04:48 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

In angel beats though as long they don't leave the school.. the angel who doesn't look like an angel will "erase" you?? Not to mention they live in a world filled with NPCs who are not "alive" yet they act as if they are... for no good reason.

I could go on, honestly i think it's the school life setting that killed this story.. I'm thinking they'll become friends with the "angel" soon enough and then their will magically be a love triangle out of nowhere *shrugs*

(I don't know, i try to really understand what I'm watching and not just gawk at the pretty faces and bullet assaults of their guns)I'll be waiting for it to be making sense soon, hopefully more answers so i don't have to be a "hater".

Comment by GHS
    07:21 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The NPC's act like buffers to make to the transition easier. Ever see Shana and Torchs in the show? It's kind of like that. Least that's what I got from it.

08:33 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah i just remember the torches, I'm still foggy on Shana overall. I'm not sure if it's the same in AB though because they're fighting against god. Whatever the case i honestly don't think the npcs serve that purpose. Seeing how there isn't any teachers, principals etc. It makes me think this will veer off into another genre...
    It's just that they were praising this anime with all the collaborations and hype and whatnot I was expecting something different, have to wait and see how it turns out.

02:41 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It was quite interesting. I mean it's just the first episode, so I usually try to not judge the entire show based on this. At least it caught my attention for the next episode.
    But with so many big names working on this anime, as well as a over 1 million yen, full page newspaper-ad, you would think that they'd at least get someone to check the quality first before airing.

02:26 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well only one thing left to say:

Haters gonna hate.

03:04 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

suckers gonna suck.

03:07 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I second that.
    Ban hate - genocide haters

Comment by Orb
    02:18 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm glad I watched the episode first before reading about the mistakes and such. Didn't notice the mistakes while watching. :)

I think it turned out okay, actually the animation was pretty good. I liked how it was shadowy at times, really gave that impression of the "afterlife world".

04:38 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If u think, the animation is shit, then make it better.
    We should be happy, that we get something.

06:14 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah I'm thankful for my shit.

07:38 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think the animation is shit, I think the ANIME is shit. Pointless fanservice with no redeeming qualities that is a blatent rip-off of many shit anime before it.

Comment by Sukunai
    03:18 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Here's a thought, Sukunai rarely sees the animation fail even when it is pointed out eh.

I'm just not that inherently fussy.

Sukunai saw all sorts of lame drawing in this ep. Shit, if even I can notice it, then it's fucking really bad animation people.

Comment by snakeofoctober
    03:13 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Quit watching shit anime like this, and maybe they will stop producing shit anime. Watch House of Five Leaves and Yojo-han Shinwa Taikei. These are good anime from all early indicators.

Comment by BlaqCat
    07:31 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah well. I'll still be watching it.

03:55 05/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It ain't sankaku if we aren't bashing popular anime, is it?

Comment by Sandalphon
    10:01 05/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

1st episode? of course it's still early to call it a failed anime. Those who do are just sensationalist cows.

21:36 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

okey abut the rifle thing, but seriously, how do you even notice rest of it, i mean unless you watch through the ep like 5 times or so, especially looking for mistakes(true - the production company should do just that). any case, 95% of viewers never notice these little things. the haruhi likeness is much more of a problem imho than some tiny animation misses

17:54 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

IT WAS TAHT ANGEL FAULT RESERRUCTING YURIPPE WITH WRONG HAND

14:48 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They'll fix it for the Blu-ray.

17:17 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

intervention sniper rifle... looks like yuri-san plays mw2 too lol

23:41 05/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Didn't notice the Rifle mistake :O
    However,the animation quality is FAR from generic,the action scenes and the live presentation was mindblowing.

15:21 06/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I was so excited that ep.1 was out,that i didn't notice any of the mistakes...
    Well,anyways,i'm gonna wait for the next ep to see if this is as shitty as everyone expects it to be.

11:56 06/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Estoy esperando a que salgan más capítulos de este gran anime ;)

Comment Spanish WTF. ;)

12:22 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

After the awesome quality showed in True Tears and Canaan I had serious hopes for P.A. Works to become a major studio getting big franchises and stuff. Seems they chose to go Deen though. It's sad... I had the same hopes for A-1 after Kannagi, guess I should know better.

09:23 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Other than the backwards hands in the one picture, what are the errors?

10:49 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You really wanna know? Well, in the first pic, that bow on her shirt is also a little off-center perspective-wise. In the third pic apparently she knows as much about how to properly hold a sniper rifle as a monkey. In the fourth, fifth, and sixth pics, you can see that characters are changing positions in relation to each other as well as in relation to the room. Then there's the fact that we basically have a Haruhi clone with purple hair staring us in the face...

Comment by zeniselv
    07:42 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

we cant be judging from the first episode, there are animes that pick up later on,also other than those hads bended in weird ways the animation was good, also about the story, all key works had complex storys that you only undestanded at the end( i never fully understood air thou)

Comment by GHS
    10:56 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The only part of Air I didn't really get was why the guy got turned into a crow... Everything else made sense though.

07:42 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's Haruhi with Soul Eater's plot and shitty animation. GREATEST ANIME EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

07:33 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

xD knit picky I would say people are... I liked xD I was just watching it cuz it started off and ended pretty good. Amazed how the article never pointed out the lighting effects. I am bad at finding what is wrong with that pick but I have no idea. meh I just say watch it cuz it is good . take south park lol (was better before chef died)

09:48 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As usual of bad critic. Only talk on and on about the bad stuff, but overlooking all the good stuff. The finale of the episode was terrific in my opinion.

In fact, i would believe that the music made quite an impact to me the first time i heard it. Especially Noda's first appearance.

Then there's the concert. I wonder which part of that scene would be considered "cheap"? I would really highly doubt so.

No matter the animation, the music, the art, i think they're done pretty well save for those small shortcomings above.

11:50 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All i wanna know is when are they gonna make Little Busters! into an anime please

12:02 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Battle Royale again

10:53 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

so it is sss-dan instead of sos-dan? i think we have more parody coming up soon.

key canned coffee? where can i buy 1? make it 20. nah unlimited supply would be good, i need key/coffee everyday.

02:01 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Animated by Koreans.

Comment by Kai
    03:47 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All or most anime are animated by Koreans, take a look at the credits sometime.

03:08 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

and you're made in china

Comment by Sukunai
    22:14 03/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You got riiiiiight ahead and watch this :)

Anime is not an industry with so few shows though, that we need to watch any old crap because there's nothing else to watch.

00:13 06/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

we need to see lot crap so we want to buy the blu-ray

Comment by BANNED_fei
    22:07 03/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

aside from mistakes here and there

looks like an awesome new series

*Adds to watch list*

Comment by Shi nai weaboo
    Comment by BANNED_fei
    22:22 03/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the fuck is wrong with you? -__-

09:33 04/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

how about letting people to watch whatever they want and just STFU

I saw your avatar way too much while scrolling down until here, you should try finding new occupations instead of spending your lifetime leaving comments on sankaku

Comment by Shi nai weaboo
    22:44 03/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Your existence