Hikikomori Beats Father to Death with Buddhist Hardware

no-neet.jpg

A 34-year-old hikikomori smashed his father’s skull with Buddhist altar equipment, killing him.

The 34-year-old NEET lived in his family home with his mother and father, a condition which had persisted since he failed his university entrance exams.

He became a hikikomori, though he did apparently visit hospital regularly due to mental illness.

This lifestyle came to a head a few days before the incident when his mother left home to avoid his violent outbursts, leaving him with his 68-year-old father.

An argument ensued over the father’s unwillingness to tell his son where his mother had gone, and the son attacked his father, hitting him on the face and head with his bare hands and bludgeoning him over the head with a piece of metal Buddhist altar equipment (which can include a variety of metal statues and mace-like objects).

After the attack he summoned police to the home, saying he had beaten his father to death.

When police arrived, finding his father bloodied and unconscious on the floor, he explained “After I hit him, he wouldn’t move,” and was promptly arrested for attempted murder.

Soon after this his father expired, and police are investigating elevating the charges to murder.

11:10 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

If he beat and killed his father with a WiiMote or a videogame console, the case and blame would turn the other way around..

10:35 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

he will run for the diet in a few years and be your local politician...

15:18 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, he didn't want to go outside. Now he won't have to go outside again for 20 years.

09:22 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

respect your elderly
    without them we can't be a successful N.E.E.T

Comment by Sylar
    10:16 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The guy had a mental illness. He probably couldn't faction normally from the start of his life. It has nothing to do with being a need. He probably was a Need because of his illness.

10:19 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't you mean NEET? as in No Employment, Education, or Training?

10:18 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Say, I've been wondering.. What will happen to hikikomori(s) if there is a major power outage or blackout for like, a week or so? They don't exactly sit in the room muttering to themself, they're playing game and browsing the internet all day. So maybe a power outage might be a good cure..

Comment by Firelord
    16:14 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think we'd be seeing a rapid increase in suicides then.

Comment by Sandalphon
    16:28 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The parents are at fault here for allowing their child's idiocy. You don't wanna work or study? then you're out of my house.

Raise crows and they'll poke your eyes out

11:17 30/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

07:40 28/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

blame the parents

02:31 31/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

“After I hit him, he wouldn’t move,,” - Epic explaination

00:07 31/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

People die if they are beaten to death.

23:06 31/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

SOCIETY IS SHIT! That's I all said, I'm also a hikikomori, I suck get along with others cause I can't tolerance their bad manner like smoking! I swear I never smoke and alchol even I against all the folks!

06:31 24/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

god among men

Comment by Ghostchase
    19:01 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm surprised the dispute wasn't over Final Fantasy XIII.

Comment by Tallgeese_VI
    08:45 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why is there a feeling of deja vu here......

Still....Things like this are very common nowadays...

Comment by hell to the no
    04:17 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"This lifestyle came to a head"

ohh_you.jpg

and look at those two pics right below the article. It looks like your doing some type of 4chan thing or something

Comment by Artefact
    10:29 27/03/2010 # ! Inadvisable

I have no idea what you are talking about.

04:10 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

“After I hit him, he wouldn’t move,”

I roflol'd

Comment by Chen-04
    03:45 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

But no one will blame buddhism for this now, or will they? Irony is, he probably will like prison, cause there he isn't even supposed to leave and will get fed.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    03:02 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Zashiki warashi gone wild...

Comment by Miroku74
    05:28 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No..... Zashiki Warashi gone missing! You'd think a spirit which brings happiness into the household it is attached to would allay this problem. Nope, this household doesn't have one.

Maybe if his parents hadn't been so dead set on over-medicating him and pushing him out the door, and actually talking to him instead of at him, that father would be alive today.

A sad state of affairs when this happens, as is becoming all too common. :(

Comment by Dark Mage
    11:14 28/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yah you don't want your Zashiki Warashi to move out on you or the Hikikomori will go nuts.

07:05 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it really fair to declare them "dead-set" on getting him out the door when he was 34, and obviously door-averse?

I'm not much for family values, but if you insist on living with your parents, you should at least take pains to not go nuclear on them.

Comment by Kazu_Akuma
    02:54 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The mass media will obviously blame this incident on the Otaku/Hikikomori lifestyle but i think his mental illness plays a major role here. He was clearly clinically depressed. Tragic.

10:18 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I blame society that cuddles their children too much and allows dysfunctional behaiviour by never aplying pain anymore when they do things wrong,they need to learn with pain that they were wrong and do it right.
    But todays society is too much afraid of any pain or criticising to make yourself learn to be better from it,this is why our society is so fucked up(don't need to hit as a parent,but if you do,then just slighlty,damage needs to be zero,it only should effect his emotion).Like you sing bad but people tell you that you are a good singer(aproving dsyfunctional behaviour).People should be telling your singing is bad you need to get better!(one easy example,but anykind of work is more important then unproductive singing)
    Where is the discipline,he should be at least doing some chores,trying to get several work skills from his father,at least bring order into his life so he would take care of his own room,his closet clothes he should fold them himself and all that being more independent.You know it helps pretty much to function right and it makes you feel better,when you do these things it will also make you feel easier to talk to people,so socialize,meet friends,call them.Better then just being a dreamer like most of todays children with all those distractions.Just sitting infront of the pc all the time and not doing anything usefull,the reward should usually come after the work,or there is no reward and it become plain and damaging like to hikikomoris since they don't do anytihng else.
    And if he wants to do things on it's own and not contribute to the family in anyway,even with taking care of chores,(implying that he is 18)then move out of the house and stand on your own and stand on your own and believe into that.

Also society standarts are usually set too high,if you fail that doesn't mean that all is over,get yourself some work,things need to be done and people will get paid for it.Hey and people let girls get away with many things.Allowing dsyfunctional behaiviour will never make them better because they think girls should never get into any pain or responsibiliets if they do something wrong(don't raise adults into children it damages the whole society).
    Both male and female should be valauble with work in what they can do.

Comment by nanuchan
    18:13 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Agree, nothing better than raping salvagely a loli to show her place in society.

20:28 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I at one point was a NEET (fruitlessly searching for jobs at a job center) for 3+ years. I had been a hikikomori during several points of my life, including 7 months at the age of 12. That was one of the results of my parents NOT "cuddling" me. I as a very young child developed several very dysfunctional survival strategies because of being beaten and constantly being berated and hit for not doing well enough (well enough being nothing below 100%). I as a child already was terrified that I might some day have to "kill" one of my parents in self defense (Ah, the innocence of childhood when you think that you can accidentally kill someone just by stabbing them once without skilled anatomy knowledge). If they had been any harder on me, or had not mellowed up the older they got, I would have likely have attempted to kill my tormentors. I already hit back a few times after I got old enough. To trying to make their not hurting me more permanent would not have been farfetched, as I did not see how I ever could have escaped them. After all, according to them I was their possession, and as such there's only one way of escaping that if the owners do not want to give you away. I still am very pissed off at how the other adults all around me as a child failed me. They were too dazzled by the image of perfection my parents gave off. Because clearly, I was just an ungrateful brat that wonderful and generous couple were unfortunately cursed with.

tl:dr, in short NEETs and hikikomori situations are "more complicated than you think".

Especially as the article says that the son was mentally ill. MENTALLY ILL.
    It was probably chance that the one he killed was his father. If he had a job he probably would have killed an annoying coworker or something.

Comment by Kelvin
    04:23 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No, put the blame on the university.

04:36 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Blame their former school and teachers who didn't taught him properly.

12:00 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sure you'll be saying that about your teachers as well.

03:31 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

you don't think most hikikomori are clinically depressed?

03:26 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

isn't clinical depression a big part of being hikikomori?

10:02 28/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No, I think being hikikomori is a part of being clinically depressed. Depression comes first.

Comment by Zavalix
    06:08 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mmmm... I wouldn't call it a "lifestyle", more like a symptom to some mental illness. Saddly, as you state, media likes misinforming people and make it look like a fashion.

In other sick news:
    What I don't understand are why the parents keep their "kids" for YEARS like this and don't accept the fact that the kid has problems, psychological problems. Oh well...

Comment by CoreFlood
    05:39 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

what are the chances his failure of getting accepted into university was combined with something like getting dumped by his girlfriend beforehand?

not that I'm blaming women in general or anything but it sounds like the mental illness thing didn't start until after uni thing. sounds like he was normal but overloaded beforehand to me.

Comment by YourKitteh
    04:47 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No komori this time...does that mean she is a peaceful (mascot) hikkikomori?

Comment by Ichiro Ino
    02:49 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This is getting really common...

Comment by thebis
    03:04 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope it won't get common

14:35 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This might just be because I was raised old fashion-ish, and am in the military but I honestly think I would beat my kid's ass if he decided to become a neet for an extended amount of time. Sure some people have a really hard time getting a job and I even know people who could only get a really decent job after a year or two (and thats pushing it) but staying unemployed after not getting in to university and then "deciding" to not work or further his education. I would seriously think about dragging him out of the house to find employment, tell him he needs to go to college, or settle for a few part-time jobs or something because he certainly would not be relying on me to shelter him until he's 34 and jobless, honestly screw that idea.

21:18 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

old-fashioned is usually the weak explanation(?) for someone who was pretty much wrong to begin with.... right?

19:28 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Most people in civilized portions of the world would do that. Not Japan though. They think differently.

20:32 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Beating is not civilized. It is highly primitive. Being an enabler however isn't civilized either, it's just stupid.

14:00 28/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

His father was 34 years older than him? Is this common in Japan?

Comment by First Posting Idiot
    06:36 03/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's weird how so many hikikomori immediately turn themselves in to the police.

04:13 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope I won't kill my parents

11:57 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"mentally ill person kills father" just doesn't sound as interesting or hysterical as "psycho hikikomori and neets ruthlessly beat and kill parents."

13:23 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

don't worry. were all a little broken inside. Otherwise, we wouldn't be on this site.

Comment by Kortaku
    09:29 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"though he did apparently visit hospital regularly due to mental illness."

Him being a NEET is a moot point. This article should really describe a mentally ill person and not a NEET/Hikkikomori.

Comment by Artefalse
    09:10 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought people would have learned by now not to fuck with hikikomori... especially after that movie.

NHK ni Youkoso.

17:18 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Some a little, some a lot...

21:16 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

-Nobody is out to get you.... EVER!

Never, ever, ever!

Comment by Mega Oppai Lover
    20:42 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a job and it really is stressful.Some people just can't handle that.The two months I didn't work and stayed home the whole time was heaven...Wish it could be like that for the rest of my life.*sigh* a man can dream right

But back on topic that's tragic but they are blaming this on the fact he is a Hikkikomori and not on the fact of his mental state.What bothers me is if he goes to jail how will he handle that?

Comment by Thinh Nguyen
    04:20 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Do you have a mental illness?

04:37 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@04:20
    Who doesn't?

04:33 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

currently, no. But in the distant future, I might be frustrated on a hysteric mode, and suddenly ó_Ó

07:07 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Thanks, Celty. Delivery is a good profession.

06:25 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@4:33

Then go out and get a job. Really the world isn't as bad as you think as it is.

06:59 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I suppose the pessimists often think in a bad way don't they?
    Shall we start to kill those pessimists No-good-at-anything then?
    *kamikazes*

Comment by NeverSleep
    03:05 27/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, feels like I've already read this kind of thing... almost every week.