Japanese asked about how best to look cool in front of the ladies yield up a list as bad if not worse than the equivalent list for females, albeit with a notable lack of agreement on anything beyond the basics.
1. Treat girls to things
2. Carry things which are too heavy for her
3. Make flashy plays in sports in front of girls
4. Treat your kouhai [subordinates, etc] to things
5. Sing a ballad at karaoke
6. Gaze off distantly
7. Store up miscellaneous knowledge and suddenly disclose it
8. Undo the top two buttons of your shirt
9. Make sure you have a slanting forelock/bang
10. Languidly loosen your necktie
The rest of the behaviours ranked tended towards clichéd movie scenes and petty displays of virility – offering a coat to a weeping girl or “paying a bill with one payment on your card [as opposed to installments].”
More interestingly, unlike the “how to look cute” ranking for women, agreement on the items amongst respondents to the “how to look cool” ranking petered out almost completely after number 4 – it seems nobody could agree on the meaning of “coolness” beyond a few items of magnanimity and masculine showboating.