Final Fantasy XIII: From $90 to $40 in 2 Months

ff13-not-selling-at-all-1.jpg

Top marathon simulator Final Fantasy XIII is now being sold at bargain prices online and in Akiba stores thanks to plummeting sales and mountains of excess inventory, with the price having dropped from an admittedly outrageous ¥9,240 to ¥3,980 in the few months since its much heralded release.

ff13-not-selling-at-all-2.jpg
ff13-not-selling-at-all-3.jpg

Previously the game was available second-hand and in promotional sales at rockbottom prices, but not in regular retail.

The game is fast dropping out of Japanese game charts, now selling a few thousand copies a week.

Even Play-Asia is apparently having trouble shifting the game, with a $40 discount adding insult to injury.

Although thankfully for Square Enix initial sales were healthy, with this performance it now seems unlikely the game will be able to achieve long-seller status – compare to Guns of the Patriots, which with 5 million copies sold, 650,000 in 2009, is now the best selling PS3 exclusive.

Whether all this is down to word spreading of the game’s questionable design or some other factor is an interesting question.

In any case it appears Square Enix has long since mastered the art of buying favourable reviews, so international retail success seems possible all the same.

18:28 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why is this blog bashing this game so much?
    They shouldn't try to scare people away from trying this game. Everyone who can afford it should give this game a chance. If they liked it then that's great. If they don't, at least they gave it a chance. People who don't like it could just sell it on ebay for someone else to try. Also a lot of the bashing was because of the linearity of this game. I don't think linearity is a bad thing it just depends on what type of game you like. I like games that are straight-foward so you don't have to spend all your time figuring out which way to go or what to epuip. On the other hand other people might like complicated games because it gives them more choices and challenges them. Whether a game is good or not all depends on the person playing it. People shouldn't make such a big deal about this game just because it was developed by a big company.

19:46 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Voice of reason. I would give you a plus if I was a member of this site. Why is it that most people here are bashing this game when I'm sure there are many games worse than this? (I'm not saying FF13 is bad or good...I haven't played it yet so I'll have my own opinion later).

21:59 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

People have high expectations of this game and they're suppose to. This is a Final Fantasy game we're talking about. Final Fantasy games is suppose to be the highlight of the RPG genre, made by the best of the best. When a game like FF fails, then of course there's going to be publicity because FF isn't suppose to fail.

08:31 13/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I personally don't believe final fantasy has failed at all...and when looking at things from a broader perspective...it hasn't failed.

15:39 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's just a coincidence that they didn't have much luck with the thirteenth game in their series.

15:29 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This game is a hard to love bros

Comment by GodOfSpeed
    19:36 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

And that is why i still prefer White Knight Chronicles and Star Ocean 4 than FFXIII. Even though i did buy lots of FFXIII related stuffs, including the FFXIII PS3 lol

Comment by mtallmen_184
    12:29 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I tried a turn based RPG once.
    Never Again.
    ALL turn based RPGS are overrated shit.

19:37 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So you played "A" turn based rpg. That means you played One turned based rpg. That you say they are "All" shit based on playing ONE of them... I would say the only shit is what you are full of.

14:51 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I played a game once. Never again. ALL games are overrated shit. :P

Try Grandia3 and VC. Unless you're a diehard mindless button-masher.

02:06 14/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Not gonna hate but, Grandia Xtreme is the best in the whole series. Great story dungeons + 100 level secret dungeon after beating the game = INSTA WIN

13:39 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's just that you don't like turn-based RPGs. How does that make such games overrated? Do you even understand what does overrated mean? A game does not gain points for being turn-based, FPS, driving, RTS, etc.

04:49 13/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Tales of symphonia for the gamecube bitch, if you don't like that game, THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU!

07:13 13/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i agree 100%, ToS 2 wasn't all that great though

11:53 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The "no level" thing shouldn't even be an issue people, you just raise your stats using a crappy sphere grid ripoff. As for the rest of it, I'll buy it when it hits "Greatest Hits" status (HA!!!) when it becomes the 20 bucks it's worth. Even getting half of Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix bundle to the US wasnt a big ripoff as this...maybe

14:32 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What the hell? Why does this blog hate FFXIII so goddamn much?

17:40 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Because people here have their eyes open.

15:26 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Because it really sucks

20:16 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

because I am one of those 1.7 million who got conned off my hard earned money over some trashy game that blatantly named itself Final Fantasy.

14:26 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

With the price reduction so vast and quick in Japan it must prove there is no fan service in it either. Glad I didn't pre-order this one, I did pre-order FF12 and got the 'tin can' case with it.

13:36 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No game is worth over $59 dollars. No GAME!

Comment by Ero-Kurage
    01:05 14/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

My friend got it for me first day so I paid the original price. The massive changes is just too much, maybe I should have waited to see the review before buying, but I wanted to play a "great RPG" during the X'mas holiday. I still like those very traditional elements of RPG (village, shops, people to talk to get hints, etc). Too bad DQ9 is on DS and I prefer to play games on a big tv screen now.

16:02 12/06/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All this bullshit about FFXIII's price and in here its still fucking 53$....USED.

God damn it,hurry up and drop the damn price already.

06:33 15/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

its 30 bucks in EB games ROFL. FFXIII is a fucking epic fail

09:46 02/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Final Fantasy has gone downhill I feel FFX was moderately decent, FFXII was boring with some strange gameplay schemes, characters were pretty lame in general.

06:52 16/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

$40 is still too much. Considering the price dropped that fast I'm willing to bet in another 2 months it'll be $20 then I'll consider buying it. So far though my love for Final Fantasy ends with 2 and 3 on SNES and Crystal Chronicles on GCN and Echoes of Time. I've yet to play 9.

22:01 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Serves you all right who bought the game. Final Fantasy is nothing but a brand.

00:01 13/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

For the people that ask why sankaku bashes on ff13 so much, it's because this site delivers real news and real opinions instead of all of the praise people get paid to say on other web sites.

08:42 13/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm tired of all this talk about people being paid to say good things...it's just ridiculous....and not everything said in reviews have been 100% positive so I don't see how this is true. Also, I don't know why you say "real opinions" because everyone's opinion is their own....I also say this site gives selective news...sometimes missing the whole picture. For all the people who don't like/hate (I'm talking about people who actually care about the game) this game, I'm sure there are an equal (if not more) amount of people who like/love the game, and the game still hasn't even been released everywhere...

17:39 13/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That wasn't what I was trying to use as an argument.

How would people know if someone was specifically paid to say good things? They're just saying it without even knowing.

13:42 13/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Just because you're tired of hearing something doesn't necessary make it true/untrue. Find yourself a better argument.

Comment by El Chaos
    11:51 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Not sure what exactly amounts to "international retail success", but recent Final Fantasy sales history show that overseas sales are generally lower than Japanese ones, unless we combine both American and European, Australian and others'.

04:59 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Anything else that's around those FF games in the pictures are more worth the money, perhaps.

05:10 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

metal slime on the first pick xPP

04:57 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's kind of funny how the games news magazines are saying FFXIII is a great game and yet here I'm seeing it doing poorly in Japan

Comment by Actar
    04:57 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Mm... Those Lyrical Box Set of the MSLN A's PSP game (to the right of the pile of FF XIII games) is more worth your money.

You get a delicious Limited Edition Figma Nanoha. (^.^)

Comment by Ichiro Ino
    05:12 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why is it every single time when the site mentions something unfavorable or unpleasant or bizzare to "something", commentors sprung up and blabs about "Why does SanCon hate *something*, Why does SanCon like to bash *something*, Why is SanCon so racist to *something*", even though it's just a selected news just to stir up some page views and comments...

05:37 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It is a ******* tunnel.

I'm sorry but a rpg isnt supposed to be an on-rails type of game, which basically thats what this is, where the hell is the free roaming, where are the towns, where are the awesome subquests, and why did they put level capping on the game, what the hell, it may have a good story, but calling this a rpg is an insult to FF fans.

shame on you SE, I'm very disappointed in you.

I just hope that Versus XIII will have towns and a world map like the screenshots I saw a couple months back.

ps: why the hell did Square and Enix merged, now they dont have any real competition, and it shows in the games theyre making now

Comment by Artefact
    05:55 12/02/2010 # ! Incalculable

It doesn't even have levels.

06:42 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lolwut, FF games never had a good story

09:12 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

OBJECTION!

some of the past FFs have had great stories. Too bad it seems the more recent ones focus more on the pretty graphics...

19:35 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I swear people as stupid as you should be put down for the sake of humanity.

11:59 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

go play a visual novel game if you want stories that much.

Comment by Nin
    05:32 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Top marathon simulator". Artefact, that has to be one of your better acts of cynicism. I lol'd hard.

04:52 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well now that the price has dropped, time to buy it

Comment by ScarredBushido
    04:14 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lmfao who saw this coming....

Comment by H-Ero
    04:07 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

We're tsundere for it. We say we don't like it but we're still going to play it.

Comment by BlaqCat
    04:51 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm always willing to at least try a game before I call it shit. However, I don't think sancon hates it, rather, 2ch and various gamers of japan hate it.

04:58 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

...because they played it

Comment by Ken
    05:29 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

the price made me wanna buy it but the comments making me change my mind... so i'm just waiting for MMX9 for PS3, don't let us down Capcom, u gotta kick square enix's butt! Here is ur chance!!

Comment by Mario1-7
    04:06 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The game is a Piece of shit that's why.... New Super Mario Bros Wii price hasn't gone down! Kishishishi!!

Comment by drunkspiderman667
    04:18 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

as if nintendo would care if it sold bad they would just release another stupid wii mote gimmick game.

Comment by Nin
    07:10 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Calling the New Super Mario Bros Wii a "wii mote gimmick game" testifies of not being a proper gamer.

22:31 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

New Super Mario Bros. Wii just sucks, this has nothing to do with "being a proper gamer".

09:10 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

nah, New Super Mario Bros Wii is a pretty decent game - too bad it's one of the very few decent games on the wii...

08:27 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You're an idiot.

Comment by SnooSnoo
    08:21 12/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

^ and I bet you haven't even played it at all