ghost-in-the-shell-kusanagi-motoko-by-sato.jpg

The scriptwriter for Hollywood’s 2011 movie violation of Ghost in the Shell has stressed the movie will be packed full of action.

Hollywood scriptwriter Laeta Kalogridis told of what to expect from the live action in recent comments:

A lot of action… lots of action. There’s still going to be a lot of atmosphere – [The movie] is about vast possibilities – all of this technology, the Internet – it’s about the limitless possibilities of this technology. ”

In another interview she goes into more detail, emphasising that the movie is based on the supposedly action-packed manga and not the pretentious pseudo-philosohpical technobabble of the film:

Q: Is that a remake of the 1995 film or is that an adaptation of the earlier manga?

LK: “Ghost in the Shell” was originally the manga. The anime came from the original graphic novel and then — and that anime, as you know, is a relatively famous, groundbreaking piece of material — also generated two seasons of an animated television show as well.

And this is an adaptation of the original manga, the original comic book that sort of began everything.

Q: It sounds like it’s going to be a really intelligent, visually cool sci-fi film. Do you see this as possibly paving the way for more live action adaptations of anime and mangas in Hollywood?

LK: I can’t really speak to the trend because certainly a lot of the stateside comic book sources and even U.K. comics that have been mined, I think there’s always room for new source material just like people.

I also think that a lot of the themes of anime as an art form are much more adult and darker than what people sometimes associate with the kinds of four-quadrant movies.

For me, I don’t really know the answer to that, but I do think that Bill Gibson’s vision of an Eastern-informed West, where so much of our cultural reference points start to come from this shared literary history, I think that that’s definitely happening.

Much as Akira, Dragon Ball and King of Fighters were.

Comment by kakul
    22:10 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I don't have much faith in these live action adaptions anymore.

Heres my umbrella ready incase the shit hits the fan.

10:23 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

let us declare jihad on Hollywood together . till they stop the rape of anime

03:09 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

First problem with it, as with just about every other sci fi movie that has been coming out lately, is the over emphasis on action.

12:09 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Make sure you didn't buy that umbrella from walmart, or else it'll just break after the first volley.

Comment by Yoshii-kun
    02:53 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The director must be a weeaboo.

Comment by obro
    23:00 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

true that yo my inevitable black gang member

Comment by obro
    01:10 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

what's with the hate? nobody watched
    ?

05:59 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hahaha, that was purely awesome.:D

However, that's the only form of adaptation I shall ever tolerate.

22:15 01/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The shit will hit the fan
    Its a matter of when

Comment by Schrobby
    00:54 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL

I hope not.

08:57 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Expect plenty of pitched gun battles in the dark futuristic streets of Neo-New York as aliens tear the city apart in pursuit of the Crystal."

You mean, expect plenty of quick-cut hyperactive pitched gun battles in the dark with no damned idea of who's shooting who in futuristic New York (God Bless America) as aliens tear apart the city in pursuit of the Ark of the Convenant's Last Requiem's Hidden Precursor Technology from Descarte.

I hope that's not true, but this is Hollywood we're talking about.

09:09 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

that was rich :P

Comment by chronomaster
    04:20 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So your saying that casting one of the main characters as a skinny waif in contrast to its more physically fit renditions would actually be a plus to seeing this movie?

That's not the Motoko I know, Joe. What would you want next, pigtails?

03:24 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

IF she is scrawny and small chested that would be one reason to watch it. If that happens though I guess Australia will be out of luck tho

Comment by TehBoringOne
    05:49 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well... I think he would also find appealing the new version of Major Kusanagi if she carried a magical baton that she spins around as she chants "You are under arrest in the name of justice, dooby dooby dee!!" And then finishes in an impossible pose as Batou and Togusa (now to be called Bart and Thompson) follow her in fagtastic poses.

Meanwhile, I'll be weeping alongside many fans...

Comment by Chen-03
    05:36 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@chronomaster:

The only hope is that they make it so bad, that no one cares to watch, so it will be forgotten real fast, like they did with dragon something.

05:34 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Needs chick from dark angel.

Comment by First Posting Idiot
    10:45 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Laeta Kalogridis is also writing for James Cameron on the Hollywood Version of Battle Angel Alita.

01:48 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Anime Pacific Podcast's blog has a good rundown of who should play the Major here:

Some good names... how about Zhang Ziyi?

04:52 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I do hope she will have some big tits, i cant see that loli flat chested shit anymore.
    Fuckers.

02:50 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Haaa. I'm just worried that Motoko will be some scrawny small chested woman....
    Usually that's the type of female used in hollywood films for the action heroine.

Comment by Van-d-all
    01:46 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The problem is that people actually liked the "the pretentious pseudo-philosohpical technobabble of the film", which made it one of the most recognized anime of all time...

01:55 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All too likeley I'm afraid. I for one am not getting my hopes up

01:05 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lucky bastard to have an umbrella for when shit hits the fan
    what about us, the fans?

Comment by Kortaku
    00:49 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm REALLY hoping that it will turn out well but I do have a feeling that it'll be trash.

07:52 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

A cameo by Mary McGlynn would be nice.

07:38 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Set sail for fail hollywood.

07:30 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"And so, as mythos kind of evolves, and I think anime and manga are slowly becoming a big part of our mythos, I think yes, they’re sort of a natural fit for films."
    I seriously puked a little in my mouth after I read that.

07:11 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This will be crap like every other Ful of action adaptation...

Comment by knuclear200x
    07:15 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Did someone say, "MICHAEL BAY"?!

08:50 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The movie was two men conversing philosophy then a gun fight.

Comment by Eleriel
    06:49 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

for me, Ghost in the Shell was never really about the action.. it was more like a political thriller/mystery.. "who's behind all the crazy stuff that's happening.. who's pulling the strings?!"... Patlabor is another one of those kinds.

only in the end of the first movie did we really see any action, I felt. and the second one, was just mystery mystery/mystery. :P

09:28 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

please give it to james cameron.

09:40 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hollywood’s Ghost in the Shell= ultraviolet + Johnny Mnemonic + Tron.
    Epic Fail I bet.

09:20 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

GITS is kinda dark in some places.
    You know they are gonna screw it up and try to make some kinda funny,family oriented,nickelodeon movie.
    Leave it to japan to do it, leave it alone hollywood please.

Comment by NakkiNyan
    06:39 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Next up,
    Something catastrophic happens on the set of Ghost in the Shell, the movie adaptation is held off until 2096.

/wish

09:04 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Dammit Hollywood, stay the fuck away from anime. That goes double for you, Cameron - back away from the Gunnm manga...

But at least it would be hard for them to trash it any worse than Oshii did. I mean, as long as there's a shred of humor or humanity in the Hollywood GITS, it will be better than the movie adaptation.

08:53 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Casper, Ghost in the Shell. A fun filled action adventure based on the comics.

04:32 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I know nothing about this production other than that it exists, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what's wrong with it, that it will be terrible, and exactly the ways in which it will be terrible.

Because I'm so clever.

Comment by El Chaos
    03:24 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Innocence bored me so much, I would prescribe it for insomniacs. Even if this is the usual kind of sacrilegious bullshit, it'll probably be a more entertaining movie than the second one ever was.

06:14 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why do you approach this movie so small-minded?
    Innocence was one of the visually most impressive animated movies of all times, and it's plot was also well thought out. Just seeing the intermission scene with all those ornaments, elephants and temples is enough to see that innocence is a masterpiece.

Comment by El Chaos
    06:38 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Small-minded? I watched the damn thing for crying out loud, and yeah it's pretty... and pretty fuckin' boring, too! I went to watch it with a friend of mine, we were both almost on the brink of letting out big yawns.

One thing doesn't excuse the other, thank you.

And the same goes to WXIII: Patlabor the Movie 3.

04:49 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hollywood fails at remakes of anything anime related.. we've seen dragon ball as a total fail, as well as the many others remakes they've attempted.

10:23 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ummm Hollywood suck my big harry balls!

05:40 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

So it will have a lot of action? Maybe it will make up for the terrible second season.

Comment by Chen-03
    05:32 02/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Please, spare us. Srsly, someone, please prevent them from making this. I tolerate killing, just stop those maniacs!

06:19 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Staring Megan Fox as Motoko

06:23 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Laeta Elizabeth Kalogridis (born August 30, 1965) is a screenwriter. She has written scripts for Alexander (2004), Night Watch (2006 in U.S.), Pathfinder (2007) and Shutter Island (2010). She has also served as an executive producer for the television series Birds of Prey and Bionic Woman."

I am not optimiistic.

Comment by g0dslay3r
    05:43 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this is their way of saying "this movie is going to suck.dont say we didnt warn you"

08:40 21/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

*based off the manga*

Shit. I much preferred Motoko in the anime to the manga version of her =/

13:03 13/02/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

In all seriousness, good casting could make or break this. In almost every other situation in which anime was rendered into live action (especially by Hollywood), lousy casting ruined the final film. Put the right actors in the right roles and this thing might actually be worth seeing.

Of course that would also depend on the actors getting a decent script.