“The Two Types of Anime Otaku”

liberty-leading-the-people-otaku-parody.jpg

2ch believes it has successfully divided anime otaku into two distinct types:

Type A:

A person who simply enjoys “anime.”

Is proud of Japan’s anime.

Evaluates anime based on direction, voice acting, art, etc.

Hates shallow anime with no real content.

Story emphasis >>>>> Moe anime.

A recent example would Higashi no Eden. Fans of anime like Lain or Ghost in the Shell would probably be this kind.

Type B:

A person who simply enjoys “characters.”

Will watch an anime if it includes cute or beautiful characters.

Doesn’t care if story is awful, as long as the characters are of interest.

Loves moe elements. Doesn’t like complex anime.

The otaku the media picks up on are usually this kind.

Doesn’t know that much about anime and so is often criticised as by Type A otaku.

However, they make much better customers than the more discerning Type A otaku.

Recently there has been a huge increase in anime targeted at Type B otaku.

People who like K-ON!, Queen’s Blade, Strike Witches and so on would be in this class.

In fairness “Type A” seems more a description of anime “fans” than anime “otaku,” as most of the irrational and obsessive characteristics generally associated with otaku seem to be absent; on the other hand, it is in the hearts of “Type B” otaku that the seeds of the moe boom were sown…

Anime lovers will inevitably have to ask “Which type am I?”

Comment by Nekodango
    11:27 17/01/2010 # ! Good (+0.6)

Mostly A but with a type B spending habits.

16:12 29/08/2012 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

We are called Type AB, same as my blood.

Comment by leografas
    05:17 30/12/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

same here. :D

20:39 01/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

the same with me

14:30 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

class B here, LOVE Tits Blade..I mean Queens Blade

12:58 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Type R definitely. Watch me dorifuto: sskreeeeeeeeeeeee

12:58 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I suppose you could count me as a Type A if you included "comedy" in the "story emphasis > Moe" bit, considering how much I absotively love Azumanga Daioh and Lucky Star.

12:35 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Type A here.
    I hate moe-animus like K-ON!.
    I want more animus like Akira.
    Non-moe Seinen are the best.

Comment by Char
    04:59 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Akira was awesome beyond words.

21:24 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't find words to describe the fail of that thing, truth be told.

12:59 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Type A...but having quality characters is part of what makes a good anime. I think 'Type B' doesn't simply like characters, they're the type who obsess over them. In other words, KIMOTAKU.

12:26 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm type AB-.

I enjoy anime and characters.
    Not proud of Japan's anime because I'm not an animator nor I'm japanese - and I also like animation from other parts of the world.

I do evaluate anime based on direction, voice acting, art, etc... but I don't really dismiss comedy animes that uses the same old formulae.

Sometimes I go after animes for it's characters, though if it's completely bad or boring I'll just stop watching. Also can't bother wasting my time bashing or trolling fans.

There are times I like complex animes (with content), and times I want to watch something light just for laughs.

Don't care that much for seyuu names, as long as they fit the characters.

I like moe elements. I'm not too much into borderline hentai stuff, but if the story is good I don't mind that much too.

I do spend a lot with artbooks and figures... much more than the average anime fan in my country, much more than sane people would.

I'll agree that there are more B type anime being made, but I have to disagree with the hysteria around this. Truth is, more serious animes are still being made, and probably more than ever. But since anime is becoming more and more popular these days, the tendency is to have an increase on the stuff that sells. It's similar to games and movies.

Watched Higashi no Eden, Lain and Ghost in the Shell - they are all on my top list. But I also watched K-On and Strike Witches, and loved those too.

14:30 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

my my, someone got 2ch's missing document on this them or us pre-war(?) debit. and pretty much made a middle ground for the rest of "us". thank you anon 12:22

13:51 24/11/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

You seem to explain almost all my thoughts about anime :P
    Except the part of artbooks and figures (although I have some, but more for "representation" than figure madness), I seek anime on the way you described :3

PS: I thought K-ON would be moe overload (like Ichigo Mashimaro) and would not like it. Wrong. It wasn't too moe for me, but I enjoyed it a lot.

12:32 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Fan type A with blood type A... oh, it's in the blood indeed.

12:07 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Type A: Evaluates anime based on direction, voice acting, art, etc.

Type B: Evaluates anime based on which seiyuu are in it and what the characters look like.

...
    What.

20:43 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Type A: Likes anime for their story.
    Type B: Likes anime for their characters (cute / ecchi characters or simply guro.)

Comment by metatron
    13:19 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is there some kind of a hybrid type? a combination of these two types?

13:44 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think I'm Type B with A tendencies.

13:35 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i see my self as a hybrid type.

13:35 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Type AB, no doubt. While too much moe gets annoying, no one can't enjoy Kanamemo unless you're christian.

13:32 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Otaku from Japan are completely different, they can't be put into type A or type B.

13:59 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The Japanese said it themselves, who are you to disagree?

Comment by Gitami
    11:58 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am of both type

Sometimes interesting characters trump story and aren't slice of life anime all about characters?

Many side characters deserve their spinoffs or rather they should have been the main.

14:35 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

For the most part, I'm a type A.
    However, if the characters look like finger painting done by kindergarteners while still trying to have a serious atmosphere or any other similar train wreck I'd have to pass.

And I happen to like Queen's Blade, thank you very much. Even if it is fanservice, any fanservice is good service. (except for manservice. That is not good service.)

Comment by demonhaseo
    08:12 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I have to say, I'm on a close cusp of the two, as I have elements of both type B and A, but more mixed together. Like I'll watch an anime for it's story, but I may get bored of it if the characters design sucks (With the exception of Crayon Shin-chan). Also I like Moe but if there's no story and it's all just to show off the girls bodies I can't watch it at all then. I need a story but I need cute anime girls also... it's so hard to find anime's like that. Then again I grew up on Magic Knight Rayearth, Tenchi, and so on so I guess that's why XD.

08:14 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Type A, with a bit of B thrown in. It's more of my general reaction to a good story: I won't watch some shallow anime crap unless it has either good story, art design, animation, or VAs; but I WILL often get quite attatched to the charactrers.

The more open the ending of a series, the more depressed I get. The reason? I don't want any characters' loose threads flopping around! Did Ryuuji and Taiga ever get married?! Did anything happen between Mion and Keiichi?! What the hell is the romantic connection between Roger and Dorothy?! (Note how all of these are relationship-based. If an interesting and believable relationship forms between characters, I want to see it all!)

08:02 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Type C

I fire rockets out of my fingers.

20:40 10/07/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Type D

I can do a Roundhouse Kick and have a third fist growing out of my chin.

07:33 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Type A, too ^^''

21:49 21/09/2011 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Judging by your use of ^^', I'm going to guess that you are type B, a bit chubby, and haven't gotten laid (150+lbs girls don't count)

Comment by xaeroak15
    10:25 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think I'm the half A and half B...

Comment by Tri Edge
    11:13 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm Type A.

And so true, for me, Good Story >>>> Moe.

That's why I never watched something like K-On! '_'

on a separate note, I have a friend who is Type B, and funny enough, he said he don't watch anime like Gurren Lagann or Needless because he said "It's too GAR to be watched"

and I LOL'd

21:24 21/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL you can never have enough GAR!

Comment by Ponky14
    11:31 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

sign me up for TYPE A,I hate strike witches and any fan service anime out there its all shallow trash.in the other hand anime like darker than black,GITS(ghost in the shell),utawarerumono,gundam,ayashi no ceres ( old stuff),death note,Guyver,etc,those are real anime which focus on the story and character development while not losing its interest or action.these types of anime make you reflect on life and on yourself,fan service anime only makes you live in a fantasy world and corrupt your mind = sleeping while hugging a pillow with a damn anime character on it. I rest my case, but hey we all have our tastes

16:09 01/06/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

What's the point of using an acronym for something if your just going to type out the full title right afterward?

15:01 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm an A that will watch anything simply because I enjoy anime.

23:21 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I define me as AB, I like anime with nice story but also like K-ON or other with moe characters too. With the combine , maybe i'm a balance anime otaku.

Comment by yoshi0810
    22:41 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Definitely a Type A, and a rather snobbish one at that.. :D (although i love NGE, especially the last two broadcasted episodes and the end.. which can make me rather shallow)

Comment by Rem
    22:38 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd be type A, according to futaba. Though I do watch struggle through some animes for the characters.

10:22 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ah... its annoying ! stop war between Otakus .... its just matter of preference... ^^, im A and my twin sister is B

10:19 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i can enjoy both. tho i dont think id rate a b otaku category in the 9 or 10 rating most of the time. (i have done it with shuffle! and maybe some would consider spice and wolf to be in the otaku b category too.) most of my 9 and 10 rated anime have very good story.

but i think i have rated plenty on the 8 scale.

i guess im an a otaku since id never really think on buying dolls and pillows and posters with anime faces printed on them.

Comment by tingle
    03:13 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this is like the endless 4chan debate between "casual" and "hardcore" gamers.

as if playing team fortress and bitching about xbox on the internet all day makes you hardcore and not just a girlfriendless jackass.

I guess I'm a casual with a big collection.

Comment by Aoyama
    08:02 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

as an American I guess i'm an mostly type A but some type B (I like trigun, cowboy bebop, SE Lain, but also moe stuff like lucky star, Strike Witches, etc.)

Comment by moogle
    06:31 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am
    70% type A
    30% type B
    still prefers anime with complex story and action in it like ghost in the shell, original macross, escaflowne, and of course cowboy beboop, etc anime in 80 and 90s which focus on futuristic space battle or fantasy. Evangelion is too mind-blowing for my taste...

Type B i like aria, card captor sakura, and well a little hentai are fine :)

Nowdays regular non-h anime is just full of overly frickin cutesy + fan-service...i hope the moe bubble burst soon, and let the good ol anime type revive.

Comment by Char
    04:56 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm mostly a type A as most of the anime I like are of the types like Ghost in the shell and Gundam.
    Though I admit to liking Azumanga.

Also where would I classify Lupin the III?
    It's not moe but really has no arc but the episodes and movies often have good stories and lots of action.

05:10 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Now people think action is an intellectual thinks.
    Guys who mostly like Shonen Jump series think they have superior intellects.

05:15 18/01/2010 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It´s incredible how most people they are "type A". The simple fact that the person checks Sankaku Complex and take time to answer posts makes them mostly Type B.

Nobody who doesn´t like cute anime girls (moe stuff) would check Sankaku Complex.

22:03 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I like an interesting story. This way, I think that´s stupid including Ghost in the Shell in the first category, as it´s a very lame story, as everything Masamune Shirow produces. He is a good artist, but a terrible writer.

Good animes with interesting stories, for me, are things like Maison Ikkoku, Kimagure Orange Roach or Touch.

But, if I like a good story, I won´t deny that beautiful and likable girls are good stuff.

In short, I want good stories with cute girls.

"Piroca de Fantasma é Geladinha".

Comment by Zecomm
    16:28 17/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I am majorly Type A, but like everybody else I dabble in to type A sometimes. Just because slice of life makes me laugh.