Final Fantasy XIII Sales Plummet

chibi-lightning.jpg

Many have been disappointed by the news that blockbuster RPG Final Fantasy XIII’s sales have slumped rather sharply, with it dropping to fourth place in the crucial Christmas sales period.

The weekly versus total sales for the December 21-27 period:

1. New Super Mario Brothers – 506,000 / 2,440,000

2. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks – 297,000 / 297,000

3. Tomodachi Collection – 227,000 / 2,317,000

4. Final Fantasy XIII – 189,000 / 1,690,000

5. Pokemon Heart – 125,000 / 3,465,000

Being beaten by a six month old title after only a few weeks is not exactly the performance which was hoped for, though it is at least doing far better than the nearest PS3 title.

In other RPG news, the Tales of Graces beta is shaping up to be the worst selling Tales “mothership” title ever, with 143,000 copies sold to date, not even surpassing the beta version of Vesperia.

09:37 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The ranking hardly means anything when you take into account the install base of PS3 and DS. There are simply alot more DS than PS3 in Japan. Only meaningful if you compare with other PS3 titles.

12:24 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

All the people that I know of who imported the game, had pretty much only positive things to say about it.

This site somehow makes FF13 seems like a disaster and is going to bankrupt S.E or something.

13:54 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Indeed because 1.5mil sales will make SE bankrupt.

01:24 03/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I can only hope Squeenix will go bankrupt; the world can take only so much belt and zipper bullshit.

12:13 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

'Crucial christmas sales period'

Christmas isn't important in Japan and its not a holiday.

Damn it arte, for someone who's an otaku you'd think you know a few things about Japan.

If christmas day is on a thursday then new games get released on that day over there too, that's how unimportant christmas is to them.

15:56 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Christmas over there is more of a couples holiday you are more like to to see Condom Purchases spike the closer it is to christmas then game sales.

Comment by Artefact
    17:04 02/01/2010 # ! Questionable

Shows how much you know. It's hard to find precise figures for the gaming market, but Christmas in Japan is a major retail event:

Of course whether it can be called "crucial" is still debatable.

09:26 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Of course the sales have dropped people who couldn't wait to play bought their copy on release day.

You really can't expect a game or anything to fly off the selves forever. And there are a lot of complaints about the game that have some people thinking twice about buying the game.

Come March I'll be buying my copy. I could care less how much someone else disliked the game. I've waited for this game for too damn long to let some else's opinion stop me from playing the damn game. But I play videogames to enjoy myself and not nitpick at every little thing and then some.

08:05 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Man, you guys are really going at it with your opinions. I'm not a fanboy or anything, but it is interesting to see what everyone says up here. (except the trolls). It does suck to see the New Final Fantasy losing it in their sales. The game seems quite amazing and yet, there was something about the game that made it just unappealing or something. Oh well, they'll do better next time. At least tje other games I'm also interested in is doing incredible. 2010 should be a turn around for any other game that wasn't doing so well for a while now but are still hanging on, like Sonic the Hedgehog. (I'm wondering how many people will diss the blue hedgehog for two games that didn't do so well back then.) I just hope some VG companies will get it together and not make such mediocre games.

08:08 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why I hope sales even worldwide plummet if the game is a piece of shit. So they can learn what happens when you make a pretty looking shit game it doesn't mean that people will buy shit because it just looks nice.

07:25 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

somehow i knew Arte was going to sensationalize this.

few points
    1) before you all call Arte a "trolling cunt" or whatever it was I read, he's right, it IS a steep drop.

that cannot be disputed. a 90%+ drop is not typical even in Japan (at least for a successful title). anyone that claims otherwise is full of crap trying to sound like they know something but they're still full of it.

2) that having been said, Arte DOES sensationalize everything FFXIII he's been getting recently for post count.

take this for example, it still puts FFXIII at 1.7 mil. most analysts weren't expecting more than 2 mil anyway.
    it IS truly the case where the vast majority of the people who were going to buy FFXIII bought it already.

why?

first of all FF generally only falls in the 2-3 mil range to begin with.
    people that thought it was going to hit the 3-4+ range are showing they knew squat to begin with.
    now that still means FFXIII is hitting the low end though.

however but then the second part is there are only a little more than 4 mil PS3s in japan to begin with.

even if FFXIII hits the 2 mil mark analysts were expecting, that means FFXIII is hitting a 50% attach rate. which is already an insanely high attach rate for a singular title.

Halo doesn't have that rate
    Gears of War doesn't
    God of War never did
    Dragon Quest doesn't
    no past FF did either
    Mario doesn't even have that high of a rate, and thats Mario

bottom line, FFXIII is hitting the upper bound of what it was going to sell given the current amount of japanese PS3 ownership anyway, barring i huge unprecedented spike in console sales (of which the PS3 already got a pretty huge one) or a huge unprecedentedly high attach rate going far and beyond even 50%.

07:22 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Compared to the first week, there's a drop off of 87.4%, which is consistent with previous games.

Past second week numbers were as follows (Famitsu):

Final Fantasy XII: 217,438 (88.1% drop off)
    Final Fantasy X-2: 181,798 (87.6%)
    Final Fantasy X: 233,429 (86.7%)

Final Fantasy IX: 328,404 (83.2%)
    Final Fantasy VIII: 270,993 (89.2%)
    Final Fantasy VII: 329,740 (83.8%)

09:13 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

What's this? Why, it seems to be another article bashing FFXIII! Oho! What a completely unexpected surprise!

09:09 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Besides Tomodachi Collection, everything on that list a rehash! You can always count on Nintendo to keep serving the same shit, with millions of people to enjoy eating it up. It doesn't even look like they're going to change Link's art style anytime soon.

I'm going to at least rent FFXIII when it comes out here in the US. You guys can keep hating on it, but before I form an official opinion, I'm going to play the damn thing first.

09:39 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree put Mario or Zelda on anything and people will up for that shit for days. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a Mario game. But I did enjoy Phantom Hourglass and have been thinking about getting Spirit Tracks, since it looks pretty good.

I plan to buy my copy because just because others hated the game doesn't mean I will.

09:58 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I enjoyed Phantom Hourglass, but I'm loving Spirit Tracks. They seemed to have refined a lot of the things they were trying out in the first one.

As for FFXIII, I'll wait till it's released state side and see what friends think. I don't have a PS3 yet, but I may when it comes out here. We shall see.

09:05 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm quite relieved to hear that the sales of this game plummeted for two reason: from what I've seen, read, and watched, FFXIII is the least creative in the series, and that even the non-canon Crystal Bearers makes a better FFXIII.

10:24 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Another case of 12-yrs old kid who only just see the screenshots and read others' (bad) reviews without actually playing the game...

14:07 03/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

wow, so many people commenting, best rpg ever? In my mind, planescape torrent. Of all the rpg´s ive played this one probably hits the spot most accurately, players have enormous possibilities and the world truly reacts to your decisions in sensible ways. Yeah sure its not about THE most powerful guy in the world or THE weakest guy in the world who THEN becomes THE most powerful (and so on) But its about a poor soul whose life was turned upside down and now hes dead (literally dead) set on trying to do something about it.

When someone sais the word "rpg game" most people think of something similar to a very linear type of game like final fantasy, i dont care how many options you have in the game, or how many abilities you can have, that doesnt change the fact that EVERY time you play a final fantasy game theres only really one true path that the game is about, sure you may uncover different endings and different secrets, but its all just about grinding through various monsters with a bossfight and cg movie once in a while, and usually you wind up saving the world, if you strip the caracters of backstory and focus solely on the game then thats what final fantasy is about innit?

In its truest sense roleplay is about taking control of a person in a certain world, thus ALL computer games are roleplay in a sense. In real roleplay, you can do anything, even if that "anything" you did doesnt matter in the end at all, and usually roleplaying is about more then killing monsters, theres XP for talking, its called diplomacy. All roleplaying computer games are about a single story that has a set path for the player to follow, thus, all games are linear to an extent. if they werent, people would get bored and/or lost.

Like possibly a few others who hang around this site i am a roleplaying geek, and i mean pen-paper roleplay, if someone said to me "this computer game is too linear", then since all computer games are linear, that would mean "i dont like what this game is about, i want to do something different" which translates to "this game is not to my taste, i dont like it"

If you really dont like a game, dont hate it, and dont go telling everybody who just might listen to you for the heck of it that you hate it and its lame, caus those other people just might like it. If you think final fantasy 13 is "too linear" then for the love of god throw your entire final fantasy franchise out the window if you hate it so much and go find some geeks who will play real face to face roleplay with you, only THEN will you know the meaning of a non-linear roleplaying game.

17:39 03/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Statistics are good but it always better to actually play it or a demo or something to see what it truly is. When I first saw all the negative comments on this game I kinda was very bummed out. But my friend reminded me that was just BS. SE Isn't a bad company really. FFX is one of my favorite FF since FF6.(FF7 was good but ah yeah tired of it).

08:19 03/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

@Final Fantasy XIII
    Game = Shit. Hands down.
    Toys = God-like (ie: Odin, Shiva Play Arts Kai etc etc)

20:43 03/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

TexasDude:

And just think. In the USA this FF XIII (Lucky 13) game is a top 10 anticipated game for 2010. :)

Don't think it'll go well.

00:51 03/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Big surprise, another post on sankaku focusing on the negatives of FFXIII. I honestly can't explain why I keep reading the posts here about it, it only makes me more dubious of everything on this site as a whole, because I have not heard even close to this level of negative feedback on any other site I visit.

15:54 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This somehow reminds me of another RPG of sorts gimme a second I'll think about it. it was poorly put together, Underbudgeted, and Over priced and the developers and rights holders decided it would be best to just patch the game to where it should be as time progressed. I believe it was Called UCGO and was the Developed by Dimps and Owned by Bandai.

18:22 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Because this is all mutha gay box fault...they degrade the graphic and so on...so you cant really blame ps3 since its gaybox fault.and this is a fact gaybox fanboy when you are reading this go and fuk ur gaybox.

00:53 03/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It didn't even come out on 360 in Japan. The next time you decide to comment, take a deep breath and try not to fail quite so hard.

03:54 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Get stuffed Squenix.

03:41 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Doesn't mean it won't do well internationally. And, of course, the drop in sales is most likely due to the infamous "OMG da game iz linearr!!!1!!1" After hearing that so many times, as well as their taste in RPG's, I'm not surprised.

Comment by BANNED_fei
    03:37 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

pokemon heart?

where's the gold?

09:29 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I believe that's the combined sales of heart gold and soul silver.

04:01 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The bankers stole it because it might be valuable.

But seriously, the Wii disappeared from the NSMBW so obviously arte's having an off day... hopefully not sick.

03:58 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Reading Sankaku these days, I get the feeling Artefact is not a big fan of the game :D

Comment by Fapping Time
    03:27 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

fuck it, I'll be a hater magnet,
    I'm still looking forward to it regardless..

Comment by Jarmel
    02:51 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm still going to give it a try as I've been looking forward to it and I feel the complaints are minor to me. I mostly play RPGs for the story so if I like this one then I most likely won't have a problem with the gameplay. All this bad news has been a buzzkill for this game as I was hoping to play through another great game after ME2.

Comment by A_Moose
    12:47 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I play for the story, not some crazy innovative battle system. So if the story is good then it was worth it.

15:26 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

im so glad someone else pointed out the 'throw away story at the end-game'... its bugged me since ff8!

15:01 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

You already know the synopsis of the game and from the trailers you can tell it's an over the top melodrama....

14:20 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

if you look for story then prepare to be dissapointed, i play many SE RPG and many of them has 'Throw away the story at the end-game, we got the money anyway!' syndrome.

seriously, i will avoid any SE RPG!

18:35 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Then you probably never played FF 10.

Comment by giascle
    02:30 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Well yeah, many people have already bought it. The same thing often happens with album sales.

19:15 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah... the sales are not the numbers people that are buing them... its the big markets and retailers that are counted here... the first 250 000 is sold fast.. but after that they need go to consumers

12:01 04/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

this would be WORLDWIDE.. due to the fact importing is fairly common.. u can bet a small percentage are importers.

Comment by g0dslay3r
    02:32 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

and many people already bought the new super mario brothers

10:34 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I think its cuz of children getting those games for xmas. hardcore fan got it first release while kids have to wait till they get it as a gift. thats just my thought tho.

Comment by giascle
    02:38 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

That and Zelda are far more casual games, so they appeal to a wider audience. Though I'm not sure about Tomadachi Collection.

Also, is this worldwide sales or Japanese sales?

07:23 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, they make a piece of shit and wonder why it don't sell. they probably haven't even played it yet.

Comment by nocturne
    03:25 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It's New Super Mario Bros. Wii according to the original article.

Comment by Jarmel
    02:49 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Japanese only. It's probably a mix of what you said and bad word of mouth.

02:53 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Also # of DS > # of PS3. Everyone who was going to buy it bought it. Everyone was waiting years for FF XIII so when it came out they bought it the same day. A DS title like new super mario bros. didn't have droves of people waiting for it to buy it the same day. Now Pokemon on the other hand........