Wii Fit “Doesn’t Make You Fit”

sexy-wii-shoujo-by-rezi.jpg

Medical research appears to have confirmed that Wii Fit and other “sports” games offering apparent physical exertion actually have no positive effect on fitness at all.

The study, conducted by an associate professor of health and exercise science at the University of Mississippi, took the form of a comparative case study of eight American families, whose physical fitness was recorded for 6 months each, with each family given 3 months of Wii Fit usage and 3 months of non-usage.

The research concluded that the game “produced no significant changes in daily physical activity, muscular fitness, flexibility, balance or body composition,” although it did find a “significant increase in aerobic fitness” in the children studied.

Since usage of the routine dropped off rapidly, from 22 minutes daily initially to 4 minutes after 6 weeks, the research generously concludes that “modest amounts of daily Wii Fit use may have provided insufficient stimulus for fitness changes.”

A less circumspect appraisal might be that the families had no real interest in getting fit in the first place, else they would already be exercising properly, although since this likely describes most Wii Fit users the research conclusions are probably valid all the same.

Considering its success in getting “brain training” games endorsed by medical specialists, Nintendo might want to commission some favourable research in this area too…

03:29 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This teacher just wanted to draw attention and most of you fell, of course not only this game helps if not most of these, as if to make changes with only 5 minutes in a gym, most of the negative comments is people who do not have that console or they do not like, in order to continue giving attention to sheep who does not deserve this kind of thing

03:43 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

nope not correct,
    I own AND like my Wii and a host of games AND WiiFit, the study was conducted by a jackass.

Let me give you an example,

2 people were asked in a shopping mall do you like coffee?

1 said no
    1 said yes

Does that mean that 50% of people don't like coffee???

The answer of course is more complex, like the study should have been, of the 2 people asked was one drinking coffee? were they approximately the same age, same sex, rich, poor? I think you get my reasoning here.

Also was the study introduced as one to compare the impact of fitness on users and non users of video games consoles, this leads to biased responses in the test subjects.

This might as well have been a study on the affects of paracetemol in combatting headaches, run by a company that makes asprin, and yup you could guess the results of that one....

Sack that associate professor, he is a crock...

04:24 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

accurate, both reviews are very accurate and I can say I've fallen more than 8 kilograms playing, this study is garbage, like the person who drove them and they are right just want to draw attention, if that study would have done sony or microsoft of course they would say otherwise.

03:27 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Right OK, lets asses the facts.

The study = 8 families, hardly a cross section of the public now is it? Are they all comparative weight, height, from diverse ethnic backgrounds, religions, do they have the same social activites and eat the same foods, are they gamers etc?

It might sound mad that last statement, but as we know peeps aint the same the world over, so I don't really think you can put too much credence into the study as it seems it has not taken into account a host of variables that any "true" study needs, no matter if it is done by a University professor [who should know how to conduct surveys correctly I might add, or at least have the intelligence to find out how!]

It is common sense that WiiFit doesn't make you fit, or even increase your regular physical exercise, it is a GAME thats all.

Personally I would rather pay £60 for WiiFit and board, and find out I don't like it rather than try a gym membership for £45 a month for a 12 months contract, plus I can Ebay the WiiFit...!

08:16 08/03/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

They study does successfully show that if you don't use your Wii Fit or exercise, you're not going to get into shape.

Comment by Riiku
    04:42 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nothing gonna help americans loose weight. Not even worth trying.

04:42 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it's what you call "getting more money via legal means"

well done Nintendo... well done..

03:55 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If the time the families spent with the "game" has decreased through the weeks then we can't really say it doesn't work, can we? I mean, even a regular exercising apparatus won't have much effect if the user stops exercising a few weeks into the program.
    I think that in order to say whether or not it worked they'd have to make the families spend the same amount of time with the game every week\day\whenever the game tells you to and not allowing them to quit whenever they wanted...

Comment by H-Ero
    03:06 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopefully game companies will stop making these worthless fitness games after hearing this.

Comment by Pyrolight
    03:26 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Did you read the article? They say it increased aerobic fitness in children. They also say that since people stopped using it effectively (4 min) it might not improve fitness.

This was a failed experiment.

03:06 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I never really gave a thought that the WiiFit would actually keep people fit. It's for shaking your hands when you have nothing to do

01:58 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you're kidding...

01:20 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

DDR FTW.

Wii keeps revolutionizing decade old games by taking any challenge or physical benefit out of them.

Comment by Lonesnipa
    02:06 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If you only do small amounts of exercise each day then YEA YOU AREN'T GOING TO GET ANYTHING OUT OF IT. No fucking shit. Christ. If you actually do more, like say, 45 minutes a day, then yes, you will get a change. Also, I wish to point out that this test does not show what the people were doing during it. For all we know they were playing snowboarding, and skiing the whole time. GJ test that doesn't prove fucking shit.

02:08 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm, I don't find myself surprised (though at this point I'm glad I bought Wii Resort instead of springing for fit as my mom's present).

02:46 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As others before me have noted, some of the people in the study went from exercising 22 min. a day to 4 min. a day. If you don't keep a consistent, regular exercise routine how can you expect any results? If the kids got some improvement in aerobic fitness (I think that's code for stamina), I'm certain the adults could've done as well if they kept up the pace. Though it's also possible that 6 mos. was too short a time. And maybe some of the wii fit accessories should be weighted to provide some modest weight training.

03:03 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just to recap.... 20 minutes a day down to four minutes a day in a three month period, with three months of inactivity (they don't specify whether the three months of inactivity comes before or after the "exercise"). Right... I'd really expect to see a difference there.

First, 20 minutes isn't long enough to begin with. Minimum recommended time spent at aerobic exercise is 30 minutes. But, if you're fat, it takes even longer for your body to enter the state where fat cells are burned. So, there's a bust. Second, just like any piece of equipment, a Wii Fit will only work as hard for you as you work for it. If I went and spent $200 on a stationary bike and rode it for one commercial break a day, I would not make any progress. Or if I bought a membership to the local gym, then never went.

Wii Fit does have beneficial possibilities. If you actually do the push-ups, plank exercises, etc. you will gain core tone. If you actually put a bit of effort into the silly little jogging or cycling 'games', not just shift your weight from foot to foot but actually lift your knees and break a sweat, then you can potentially elevate your heart rate to the calorie burning zone at least, though you certainly won't get marathon ready simply by jogging in place in front of the TV.

What it boils down to is individual motivation and intention. You can't blame Nintendo for fat lazy bastards not wanting to get off their ass and play. Personally, it's been a great solution for me. I work rotating shifts, which makes attending classes at a gym impossible. And, if I do drag my sorry butt out there in the middle of the night, I might spend 20 minutes on the treadmill or eliptical, then get bored and go home. With the Wii, I can stay at home, in my PJ's, butt naked, or wearing a pink tu tu for all the game knows. I can be mildly entertained, still break a sweat, and feel like I'm accomplishing something without having to feel embarrassed about my jiggly butt or boobs in front of the lovely lean guys at the gym. Combine this with an altered diet (i.e. no more sodas, no more chips, no more late night cookie binges in front of the computer), and I've lost almost 20 lbs.

The Wii is just a tool, how you use it is what determines how it works.

08:00 28/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You own a pink tutu?!?

05:04 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But will it at least make you wii?

05:54 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fat amerikkkans you cant use them as a norm

07:32 29/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

O_o, OMFG, they can't be serious about this research... 3 month with wii sport, and 3 month without, and in the end the test subject only do 4 MINUTES PER DAYS.... WTF, it's saying "sport are no good for weigh lost, I do research for 6 month, 3 month with sport, and 3 other month my ass in the couch watchin NCIS, HOUSE etc, I GAIN WEIGH SO SPORT DO NO MAKE WEIGHLOSS"...., seriously, sometime people like this need to think twice before do something... like the french government who did buy a FUCKIN LOT of flu vaccin for the H1N1, and afterward they think "omg what do we do now with all this vaccine... well, we'll says to people that they really need to got flu shot"...

This is totaly ridiculous. But maybe they do their job seriously, and really think this research is accurate.

Comment by man1
    16:56 31/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wii Fit?! Phooey! If I wanna mix video games and fitness, I'd
    1) whip out my dance mat,
    2) fire-up my DDR,
    3) dial it up to the most "Insane" track with "Insane" difficulty,
    4) jack the volume up,
    5) pound on the mat like apesh*t till either I burn enough calories to achieve the highest rating or I can't feel my legs anymore,
    6) ???
    7) pro-FIT! HAHAHA! Get it? Pro-FIT! Haha... ha... Yeah, that was lame.

The ol' dance mat may be dated, but heck, it does its job, plus it sure beats the stress outta you. Oh yeah~!

Comment by Bronxdragon
    23:08 02/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it really that hard to take 30 mins out of your day and just workout......

03:18 12/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i got running shoes - ran 20 minutes - next day walked 4 minutes - very slow - stopped to smell flowers - they were hanging so i didn't have to bend to smell them - after months of strolling for 4 minutes a day - i don't get it - lost no weight and don't feel in great shape

Comment by ksisibi
    19:35 04/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

They got that already.

Comment by ksisibi
    Comment by motaku96
    10:32 04/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Ha! I knew it!

04:58 28/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sticking to DDR, thanks.

13:56 28/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've been losing about 3 pounds a week while playing DDR (and gained 5 pounds when I took a week off).

DDR > Wii Fit.

Comment by Stiyl-Magnus19
    03:47 28/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

these games are a offense for the wii...

Comment by Gloglablyn
    06:52 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Luckily for me, I have actually lost weight this holiday season. I know that is pretty sad because Mexico is a developing country, and yet she has a high obesity rate. If people really want to lose weight/and/or get in shape, they need to find something they like doing and not get into something easy or simulated. That being said the most important rule, at least for me, is commitment. Without commitment there will be no results, or those results will not last. Cheers.

Comment by CJLopez
    06:49 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

flash news: the world is round. More on the topic at 6 o'clock

06:23 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

From TFA : "Owens's study, which he has submitted to a refereed professional journal, found that children did display significant increases in aerobic fitness after three months with the Wii Fit. However, three months of home Wii Fit use produced no significant changes in daily physical activity, muscular fitness, flexibility, balance or body composition for families as a whole."

19:25 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OMG REALLY?!! -__-

Comment by j
    20:09 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No surprise there. I was at Eb/Gamestop one day and they had a preview of this.... all I can say... forms on the exercises done were all poorly executed

Comment by Ray
    15:16 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Training with Hinako" makes my right hand fit.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    13:26 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The only console to ever get anyone fit, was the PS2 and its Vibrator attachment :P

01:07 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope all of the grandmas who have a Wii are unable to find this article on the internet....

20:57 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And they were expected to become fit from FOUR minutes of exercise a day??!
    If that were the case, I could get in better condition by just taking out the trash!

20:56 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It does stat that the family has been using it for 20 minutes each day then dropped to 4 minutes each day.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EXPECT TO LOSE WEIGHT ON 4 MINUTES A DAY?!?!

21:09 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Probably cause Wii Fit wasn't entertaining enough to keep them motivated about exercising.

The whole point of Wii Fit was to supposedly make exercising "fun" which it apparently failed to do with its repetitive mini-games. Might as well just go outside and run for half an hour.

01:27 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The point of WiiFit was to facilitate exercise in Japan were there aren't many places to exercise, not to make it fun. Also to give you basic advice about exercising and weight-loss, along with balance and BMI checks quickly and easily so you can record your progress much more easily than at a gym. It was not designed to make it fun, simply to facilitate exercise to people who did not have the facilities nearby, or who could not afford regular gym payments.

07:57 28/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But again it is not a fitness program, but a tool to help people with a fitness program. It does not even sell itself as a fitness program, but sells itself as a tool. A fitness program is no different from a life plan (daily, weekly etc. you should of course cater it to your lifestyle) plan, and nowhere in the WiiFit advertisements does it say that it will plan your week for you. WiiFit has never pretended to be a miracle cure for people who don't exercise, simply a tool like any other. People do not judge a hammer if the families using it are unable to build a house.

08:20 27/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have to disagree with you there Atrefact.

It does have some motivational properties. The whole game aspect of it make it more fun to exercise in some people's minds.
    I have family who needed to lose some weight and such, but couldnt stick with their routines. But the whole getting a high score thing seemed to keep them at it.

So it would be more correct to say it did not motivate the people in the study, who are far from representing the rest of the population.

You cannot deny the fact that people have reaped considerable benefits from Wii Fit, even if those 6 lazy families did not.

Comment by Artefact
    06:49 27/12/2009 # ! Incalculable

No, the point of Wii Fit was to sell games and consoles to a market segment who would not normally buy games or game consoles.

It succeeded. But it demonstrably does not motivate people to take up a serious exercise regime, which is the point the research is really making.

Comment by Artefact

I wouldn't deny this, but I would still maintain that ultimately it only possesses the appearance of being a fitness program...

Comment by Holly
    20:55 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They went from 22 mins to 4 mins... Correct me if I'm wrong isn't it encouraged to do at least 30 mins a day for regular exercise? And regular exercise doesn't include losing weight, rather maintaining current weight instead of gaining more.

It's true what they say, you only get out what you put in, it's irritating when these people believe there is some sort of quick fix.

This isn't a study at all.

22:10 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That did seem like a rather huge hole in their assumption. The title of the study needs to be changed to, "Having Wii Fit in your general vicinity will not make you lose weight"

4 minutes is barely enough time to turn the system on and do a body-fat check. You'd think this "research" would be more willing to admit that they completely failed at their intended goal because their test subjects stopped doing what needs to be tested.

Could you imagine what drug trials would be like if they drew conclusions from subjects who only took a drug once a week when they were needed to take it every day?

20:51 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I call for Wii Ballet, that will make people fit.

21:00 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I find it hard to believe that a (proper) fixed daily routine with this tool doesn't have any sort of influence. You'd almost think this report was made to serve as some sort of excuse so the lazy who "don't have the facilities near them to exercise:(" can keep on playing the victim card about their butt taking up two seats in the bus or plane. Almost.

Comment by Rem
    21:14 26/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's right, parents. The Wii is for kids.