Final Fantasy XIII Sells 1.5 Million & 250,000 PS3s

serah-farron-final-fantasy-xiii.jpg

The latest sales figures relate the considerable success of Final Fantasy XIII, with 1.5 million copies sold on its initial opening, along with a record-breaking weekly figure of some 250,000 PS3s sold.

Enterbrain reports precise totals of 1,515,532 (out of 1.8 million shipped) copies sold, with the weekly sales figure for PS3s also jumping to 245,406, the highest weekly figure yet.

This compares to Japanese opening sales of previous titles fairly favourably, with sales possibly set to exceed 2 million:

2001: PS2 FFX 1.75 million (2.33 total)

2003: PS2 FFX-2 1.47 million (1.94 total)

2006:PS2 FFXII 1.84 million (2.23 total)

Though undeniably the prettiest in the series, just whether this incarnation matches up to the rest in gameplay is still a matter of considerable acrimony.

As expected, Final Fantasy XIII appears to be the killer app set to combine with the PS3 slim for a major mid-lifecycle fillip, although whether it will reverse Sony’s fortunes completely remains to be seen, particularly with the exclusive international release snatched from their grasp…

03:35 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah fuck the XBOX....steal my shit... FUCK XBOX!!

04:12 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Considering your feelings, I think this is the console for you:

Comment by Densha Otoko
    14:13 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wow cheap price
    recommand to all x-box haters

Comment by Wolfy
    01:22 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn I don't know how good or bad FFXIII is but if there's more of that chick with the skirt Im in.

12:04 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Comparing Western RPGs to JRPGs is like comparing Shawshank Redemption to Power Rangers. Ifrit! Form of a car!

06:55 23/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sony is pleased
    PS3 is the tortoise to the Xbox 360's hare

10:43 23/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

GAYBOX FAIL !

22:11 03/02/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

to just put that out there, PC > Xbox > PS3.

06:50 25/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

we should ask chuck norris if FFXIII is good enough for him haha

11:54 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't need complicated gameplays.
    Games nowadays are too difficult.
    Back in the old days, all we need were quick-finger movements on the cursor.

07:11 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ugh the english theme song is just awful. It's just way too loud, well it gets too loud too fast. There's no good transition. It's quiet then it just hammers on sound, just way too shaky, doesn't give emotion.

The japanese theme actually transitions well from soft and then it gradually builds up the tension and bursts out into emotion! Now THAT'S what an FF theme SHOULD be!

09:21 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet the game is really fun. I can't wait until my copy comes in the mail!

Comment by motaku96
    11:23 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Serah is cute. The perfect antithesis to Lightning. I'll probably be GAR for lightning when I play.

11:21 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well time to save up some money for PS3.. Initially I thought a PS3 would be expensive, but I should try this out soon

Comment by galmi
    00:58 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can see this site is particularly pro sony, it ain't bad I guess. It is true though that ff13 has seriously boosted console sales in japan and in that part of the world, its more like the 360 doesn't exist so its understandable. I do believe that its still gonna sell more in the states cuz people would prefer to have the whole game on a single dvd than on multiple dvds. As for how gud the game is, well gotta play it first, I just hope the story is good enough and more involving.

21:53 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know many people buying a PS3 now (or getting one for Christmas) just for this game.

I wonder if FF7-fags realize that FF7 is also a linear game... (as well as other RPGs with a "Final Battle" and ending.) Just because a game is Linear doesn't mean it's a bad game. (I mean honestly, go play FF1.)

I bet FF13 will indeed sell more than 2 Million in Japan (I'd buy it but I don't understand much Japanese so I'm forced to wait :( ) In NA and EU it'll probably be a huge hit too, reguardless of all the bad rep 4chan and 2ch FF7-tards are giving it.

12:01 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Look up the map design for FF13 before you speak kiddo. Then you will realize why people complain about it being linear because it is much more so than any and i mean any previous Final Fantasy game.

Just because you are a fan boy with no taste doesn't mean that others can't recognize when a good series has gone down hell. So enjoy your linear and cliched story but at least you can turn your summons into cars!

22:08 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hopefully we can see a good sales in the international market. Not being put off by initial(Japanese) reviews.

Now where is my FF XIII Versus???????

22:17 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All characters in FF13 are EMO, except one who shot Cid in the head...

02:01 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What? Vanille did?

21:20 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

People will buy this game, to complete their collection, even if they hate it.

Comment by Anim3Fr33K
    21:55 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Its the reason ill be buying it. I have every FF game that has come out in Australia thus far.

21:42 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Collection? What collection? There's no end to this franchise. Even if there was, each game is similar in name only.

Comment by Tasche
    22:08 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and not to mention a certain character called Cid...haha

03:59 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and panties

22:10 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and CHOCOBOS!

Comment by multiverse
    23:23 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and Bombs

23:15 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and lots of belts

Comment by multiverse
    21:02 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Regardless of being 'linear' or such, I think the number will be bigger when International edition is released.

Comment by Tasche
    21:09 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

dispite it being linear, it doesnt stop people from buying it. to be honest, most FF/rpgs has been linear anyways...

i dont see anytime soon that normal people would want to play a game over and over again just to see a good ending and a bad ending.

22:12 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Exactly, it's been linear for most games so I don't see why people are surprised/ticked off. What did people expect? FFX was linear till 30-40 hours in. As are most of the other FF's before that. X-2 and 12 switched it up drastically by letting you hit plot points straight up, or after you did some side quests, but other than those two, all of them are pretty much the same.

Although there does seem to be less of everything (towns, mini-games, side quests, etc) in this installment. Will reserve my judgement till I try it out.

03:54 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

In all FF games, there has only ever been one path that will advance the plot towards the ending. It doesn't matter how much you're able to wander around, there's only one place you're ultimately supposed to go, so the only difference is how much time you can waste exploring areas that are, in the end, irrelevant. End-game or near end-game are generally the only times really useful side-quests start showing up, so having the game completely linear for the first half isn't really anything more than a time saver.
    Linearity is pretty much just a part of FF, love it or hate it.

04:55 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i, tbh, got bored of FF games, i wont be buying this but i know alot of people that will.

its like halo, its something you buy cause its THE game to have on that console

01:54 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes! Pay them 70 dollars so you can try it out and then be too embarrassed to tell everyone you wasted your money and instead praise the game!

19:05 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

not buying because others will buy it? i don't see the logic in that.

being an ff fanboy, it pleases me to see that you say ff is THE game to have on that console! lol.

oh and i'm also aprehensive about the downgrades i've heard about ff13, but i'll reserve my judgement for when i play it.

23:19 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FFX was shit though. Since thats what you reference in your FF linearity discussion, I'm going to guess you are fairly young, and since you even PLAYED ffX-2, fairly fat.

22:33 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

People fail to realize that RPGs are mostly linear. Even FF7 is linear. I mean you can go on side quests and all but to complete the story, you have to go do things that are programmed into the game.

Why are people even pissed off about linear games anyways? Most games are linear. The only games i can think of that aren't linear are the GTA games, Online Games and party/multi-player games that don't involve "Story Mode."

22:44 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Amen brother! I don't see whats all the fuss is about with linear rpgs, if the story is good then its fine isn't it?

01:22 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

unfortunately, FF7 WAS long corridors. fat world map corridors that apparently i excatly the thing that fools someone that i suspect is the exact same troll trying to sound like he knows something (since he repeats the exact same thing) into thinking the game is more expansive than it really is.

ironically for someone accusing everyone of being too young to understand anything, THAT (points above) tends to be the biggest sign of a "twat" that hasn't played much and probably started with 7.

23:20 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wouldn't that just mean it has a long intro-story to inform the player what's exactly going on?

So, there are long corridors and not many dungeons. A game is a game. It tells a story made up by the developers. Some devs like to focus mainly on the story while others like to add side-quests. But all will lead to the same ending.

Also, FF7's intro was the same way. You were stuck only in Midgar for a few hours, and without a Player's guide (which people are doing with the jp FF13) it can take longer to figure out what to do or who to talk to. (Which is a pain in the ass)

Besides, FF games are mainly story games instead of side-quest games, technically speaking. Most FF games (except X-2 where you had to grind your ass off for that last .2% for the epic ending) has a start dot and an end dot.

23:22 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

crap wrong button

23:20 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes its that corridor thing people fail to understand. FF7 was *not* corridors, since that was likely the first non-emu/non-rerelease FF most of you weaboo twats played.

22:55 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The thing with FFXIII is that it really is quite exceptionally linear - not just the plot, but the actual gameplay to. Maybe it opens out later, but I'm ~10 hours in and pretty much the entire game so far has consisted of long corridors filled with monsters, and the occasional save point where you can go shopping. There's no sign of a world map, not even any element of exploration in the "dungeons" - at best you get the occasional open area you can poke around the corners of. I haven't even been given the ability to manually reorder my party yet, although there is a menu option for that so it clearly becomes available eventually.

Now, that said, it's by no means a bad game and I'm very much enjoying it, but I would certainly agree far, far more "linear" as an overall experience than any FF game I've played to date. I think that's what people are complaining about - not the plot, but the fact that you do feel like you're just getting herded from battle to battle a great deal of the time.

Comment by killdamnzade
    20:54 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

im anxious to see how the USA sales will be especially for the dreaded multi multi disked 360 -.-
    no surprise here for it to sell so good

Comment by blackpepper
    20:57 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

not to mention the new theme song by leona lewis..

*shudders*

21:17 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The English theme song makes me want to puke. Since when does putting on your make up have ANYTHING to do with FF? I switched it off after that line, really hope the English version has the option to not play that song.

03:43 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Need more releases like BlazBlue, with Japanese audio left completely intact for those who want it.

06:20 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Just like pretty much every other game on that black playstationy box": So like valkyria chronicles? or disgaea3? or blazblue? or Cross Edge?
    I think multi lingual sound tracks are somewhat expected these days.

Comment by TC-man
    22:01 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I have heard the English theme for FF13, it's not the most horrible song, but it just does not fit in the atmosphere of the game at all, it just feels out of place; some parts of the song sound pretty similar as "I believe I can fly" by R. Kelly in my opinion. Whose decision is it to use this song anyway? As far as I know Japanese developers don't know/care about and understand the English lyrics, but what counts it's that the song rocks/swing with the game. A good example is Sega's Crazy Taxi with Bad Religion and the Offspring songs in the game which are great songs, but the lyrics don't have something to do with the content of the game at all, but the songs rocks and are awesome.

Also do not forget that Square Enix is now specifically adapting their games to the western markets; the song by Leona Lewis (UK) is pretty "American" and R&B.

Comment by H-Ero
    21:26 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It makes you wonder who thought that would be a good song for this game or if the songwriter has ever played a FF game (or any JRPG) at all.

Comment by Sylar
    22:31 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have a question.So the characters will talk in English and there is no Japanese audio choice with subtitles?

23:18 21/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes Sylar. Just like pretty much every other game on that black playstationy box your mom and dad got you.

00:15 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

glad someone understands my pain

Comment by killdamnzade
    08:08 22/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

oh i don't lmao i'm a ps3 fanboy