Japanese Christmas More Ronery Than Ever

ronery-otaku-christmas.jpg

Japanese, particularly Japanese men, face the prospect of a lonelier Christmas than ever if survey results are any guide, with 12% of those men staying at home set to spend the time alone, and 25% not planning anything special at all, an increase on previous years.

Divided by age group, a mere 52% of Japanese in their twenties planned a “home Christmas,” as compared to 67% of those in their thirties, and 87% of those in their forties, results which probably suggest the event soon loses its romantic overtones with the onset of age and family.

The survey found that amongst those who did plan a Christmas at home, only 4% of woman intended to spend the time alone, compared to 12% of men; 67% of women intended to spend the time with friends or family in some capacity. In fact, 25% of men intended no special celebration at all, demonstrating a substantial difference between the sexes.

These results are particularly notable in light of the “traditional” Japanese celebration of Christmas being tied to rather social romantic and marketing events, as opposed to the west, where Christmas sometimes takes on familial or even religious overtones…

Comment by Ray
    07:59 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I assume Christmas is commercialized in Japan, much like Halloween is in here. Over here Christmas is traditionally a holiday to spend with your family while New Year serves the purpose of going out and having a blast with your friends, usually with rivers of alcohol involved.

Comment by Gigaman
    07:12 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Half of Europe will spend Christmas in houses, dealing with almost raw food, giving each other missed gifts that will be given back to shops in two next days.
    They don't have to wreck their nerves. Best gift that you can give.

Comment by Fapping Time
    08:34 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm gonna get trashed Christmas...

Comment by Reo
    08:18 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm one of the 25% who plan nothing...
    lol though I'm not japanese. XD

06:34 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sucks to be a weeboo, ain't that right?

03:57 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

nah it's all about spending money over here.

04:41 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My god you're right.

If the makers of love plus made a 30k yen super special christmas present for your Love Plus waifu, they'd make a fortune.

Comment by Char
    01:00 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I always spent Christmas with friends and family.
    The idea of spending it alone sounds so terrible.

Comment by kgptzac
    08:53 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

people are a hassle, I'd rather be a (contempt) japanese man who spends xmas alone.

and i don't see what's the big deal... xmas isn't a traditional japanese holiday anyway.

19:13 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well it is a christian day after all.

05:41 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

that cake looks good

07:41 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How ronery. :(

14:10 23/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Whether you have no family, or you are just missing a key relationship in your extended family circle, a more complete extended family will provide you with a stronger support system and a better life. There is a service that matches adults platonically to create surrogate extended families.

Try http://www.CreatingExtendedFamilies.com

13:09 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I will be probably playing Disgaea fucked up on narcotics until I pass out watching Welcome to the NHK or something like that.
    And the idea posted above about walking alone in the streets sounds awesome, except because the streets at least around here will be full of people doing shit and playing with fireworks.

11:39 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Frankly I think parties an opportunity to live with your family and remember the good times, not so much for "giving gifts". For my part, I do not see much of my brothers (in part by their wives that I disagree) and it is a good time to talk about how they're doing in life.

about the loneliness of people in Japan, I understand in a way, it is not easy to make friends in that country, (an experience) that the same people feel isolated in their world and not come out or maybe not have many opportunities.

11:35 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well if they can't find their balls, can't feel sympathy for them

Comment by motaku96
    12:18 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Add me to that list of lonely men staying home for christmas.

03:32 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

By spending time alone do they mean spending time with their 2D pals?

00:20 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Its only Christams

00:17 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But the Japanese don't really celebrate Christmas? It isn't even a public holiday there, so staying at home during Christmas isn't as big of a deal as it would be in Western countries. I don't think I bothered doing anything on Christmas when I lived there either, nobody really cares about it except couples who go on dates on Christmas Eve.

10:43 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It was shown fairly well in the old All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku OAV - they decorate in xmas style, swap a couple gifts, and go get a bucket of chicken at KFC, lol...

21:59 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes clearly an anime is more reliable evidence than my personal experience in real life

10:47 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

um, that was a reply to http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/12/16/japanese-christmas-more-ronery-than-ever/#comment-383830 but it threw it to the bottom for some reason.

00:40 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I remember reading that even still, in Japan no one passes up the opertunity to buy and give presents. It's more of a business thing than anything I think. And I can't count the number of times I've seen christmas represented in anime and video games. It's obviously a date that doesn't escape the minds of the Japanese. I mean they even do stuff for St.Valentines Day dont they?

00:14 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This isn't news....Christmas isn't important over here. It's a day like any other, with people working and going to school. How this is even posted as "news", or even a glimpse into life in Japan is beyond me. I think Artefact has forgotten that Japan isn't a Christian country. People don't usually give gifts here for Christmas...they just share some Christmas cake, maybe some fried chicken and that's it. I assume Artefact lives in Japan, so he should know this.

Comment by Artefact

What on earth does Christmas have to do with religion?

Comment by Ay4n4mi
    16:27 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"What on earth does Christmas have to do with religion?"

i lol'ed. 100% japanese.

if u tell a japanese that u're spending xmas eve alone, he/she'll probably murmur "kimoiiii..." wtf

Comment by Bulldog
    16:14 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

can't agree more. Only people who go to Church celebrate Christmas as the (supposedly) birth of Christ, but actually, it's just another festive originated from the Romans and their pagan culture. It's just time to have fun. Period.

03:39 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

eto...the birth of jesus crist maybe?

07:07 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I feel sorry for all you lot.

04:03 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Christ I assume, most people in an internet forum like this can't spell correctly if their life depends on it.

Comment by Artefact

Who?

04:38 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Saturnalia: When a bunch of Roman men get together, get drunk, have sex with each other and beat their wives.

That Roman Holiday is MADE for the Japanese yaoi industry.

12:07 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

s'ok.. if it means anything, I think we feel sorry for you too :(

00:24 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What is a christmas? Is it delicious?

Comment by Bulldog
    00:27 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I bet you'd still find lolistmas more delicious...

00:35 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nothing wrong with spending christmass alone, means they can have a nice quiet evening.
    Introverts ftw.

00:33 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If I was living in Japan and was lonely (I've got the 2nd part down!), I'd fucking get out on christmas! Just to walk the streets of tokyo or somethingwhile listening to music, especially if it's snowing. Just enjoy in the fact that other people are enjoying all around. The atmosphere must be awesome there at christmas, unlike my bland and ugly city. It'd be beutiful, dreamy, melencholic and sad (but in a good way), and just awesome. Why is romanticism so lost today? You don't need someone else to be romantic. Who knows, maybe it will end up being your faithful night. They should learn something from their anime... why just see Japan in animated form? I've seen proof that it look much better in 3D. :P

honestly, I'm surprised at people who say their biggest reason to go to japan is for something like dibs on anime or video games. Those are great things, but Japan just seems to be such a beautiful country to be in. I'd go to Japan just to be a hobo. :O Though the few episodes I've seen from Gantz might give me second thoughts about that...

lol, maybe im a fool but this is the image that comes to my mind when i think of christmas in japan

gotta love shinkiro

05:29 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There's certainly beautiful parts like Kyoto but you have to realize that it's not all fun and games. You're suffering from "it's greener on the other side" syndrome. You will find just as much ugly in their cities as you would in ours, and just as much nice out in the countryside.

12:03 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah you're probably right... like i said maybe im just being a fool, right? but consider i live in the suburbs where there's basically nothing nice to look at. no architechture, not much dressing up even during the holidays, no charm, nothing. just houses, malls, and apartment buildings. honestly, I've been outside my country and the grass IS GREENER on the other side, litteraly! It's just that maybe if I lived there for 20 years maybe it'd eventually lose it's lustre, but still when I was in places like London, Frankfurt, and northern India, just standing around in any one spot made me feel more alive.

The suburbs in the west feels like a large factory consisting of smaller factories. Everythings so "manufactured". I like places with charm... just some kind of identity.

Comment by Nin
    03:20 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I cried manly tears. (TT_TT ) Go you, mr. Anon!

00:31 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ok so why the hell Japan celebrates Christmas when its not a Christian country? the most of them don't even know what they celebrate for.

Comment by Sylar
    07:04 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Does it matter. It's not like Christians celebrate Christmas because of their deep faith.

Comment by Busy
    00:34 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There are more christians in japan then you maybe think... XD

Comment by Ichiro Ino
    15:48 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wasn't the prime minister a Christian?

00:37 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I remember frequently reading that the percentage was something like 1% or 5%, but that's only like 3rd largest next to shinto and buddhism.

13:28 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It doesn't matter. As long as it is a festival being celebrated in that country, everybody will be celebrating it, even if it has nothing to do with their religion.

Kind of like 'having fun' and 'taking a break'. Besides, with the working lifestyle like the Japanese's, having another holiday is a good thing.

00:35 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

they can celebrate it for whatever reason they want. do you think the majority of the west celebrates it because it's the birthday of christ??

These days all cultures celebrate christmas, just for the idea of "christmas spirit" and "good will towards men" and all that jazz, and for an excuse to give and recieve presents and dress up the cities. But most of all BUSINESS.

01:14 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They don't celebrate it for the Christian part (lol who does?), no they celebrate it for the "It's a holiday! Buy gifts! Give money! Party!" part.

Comment by Major Bukkake
    23:35 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Time alone is a good thing. Gives me time to work on my Bukkake Blasting skills.

This Christmas I will attempt to add High Velocity Bukkake Bullet to my arsenal.

A tight ball of Bukkake busting on the shiny forehead should be a fine holiday gift.

Fortunately, I'm not gonna be ronery this Christmas.

01:31 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

story of my life