Higurashi Released in English by MangaGamer

higurashi_jacket.jpg

07th Expansion’s hit sound novel series Higurashi is being released in English by MangaGamer, with the first installment having just been released.

The original Higurashi, whilst being a doujin visual novel with modest production values, was critically acclaimed and soon the series had spawned a full mixed media franchise, with a variety of games, manga and anime based on the original.

This release covers the first four chapters of Higurashi When They Cry, with later titles in the series set to be released in the new year.

The game is available for international download now.

Comment by Fonzer
    08:10 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

read these comments:
    https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7548290582088482521&postID=5190617900462025213 [https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=7548290582088482521&postID=5190617900462025213]

Could mangagamer truly be lazy?

Comment by H-Ero
    09:39 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Am I the only one that thinks the title makes sense? Fans of the series call it Higurashi so wouldn't it make sense to leave Higurashi in the title instead of leaving it out like the english version of the manga and anime do. When Umineko gets translated it will probably be called "Umineko When they Cry". IMO this sounds better than calling the games "When they Cry 1,2,3, & 4".

11:06 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But no, the idea of having titles that don't sound like shit is lost on these people.

Comment by g0rth0r
    11:49 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"It would not be hard to just call it "When the Higurashi Cry" or something similar."

Yes it would. That would be assuming the market knows what a "Higurashi" is. If you don't know what it means, the title "When the Higurashi Cry" would be cut in two, which is a bad marketing move.

17:33 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No one who buys this game will have not heard of it before.

They are marketing to weeaboos. Weeaboos will know what a Higurashi is.

09:53 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol at the hypocrisy of so many sankaku-ites. One Piece is shit because it's art style is 'different'? Never mind the story, 'who wants to read a manga with art like this'?
    BUT HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE ART OF HIGURASHI! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE STORY ANYWAY!
    lol.

note: not particularly a OP fan, but damn that Higurashi art is worse than Touhou's.

Comment by Kay
    07:39 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm excited. :3 I'm hoping to get this for Christmas~

09:55 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This just proves how great Higurashi was.
    I bet Higurashi should have an enormous fanbase. Im happy Ryuguu Reina its still my favourite fictional character.

USODA FTW!!!11

12:11 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This game is damn popular (it should be). So much that it was cracked 15 hours from release by an anon on /jp/. I'd encourage people to buy the game though; MG needs money to keep up the translations.

11:46 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Equality Now are once again equating games with real abuse, this time on a major UK news site. Fortunately there's a chance to post a reply:

Comment by syndicaterx
    06:12 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ZOMG Torrent Please!!!

03:02 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

When they cry? they? who? us? pfffffffffffffffffft

02:49 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To read or not to read...?
    Is there any excessive graphic gore+violence in this game? That would put me off horribly. :D

03:03 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Theres absolutely no gore in it.

-from your ever reliable anon

Comment by g0rth0r
    04:06 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't see why people are complaining about the title. Have you realized every other Higurashi English media uses the same title ? If you think media title translations always need to be a literal translation, you're dead wrong.

As for me I'll probably buy, but I guess I'll wait. I already own the original first arc and while my Japanese is rather limited, it's still something worthwhile to have considering all the awesome that spawned from it.

05:57 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The whole problem is that it IS a literal translation. If it were something else that made sense in English...

Comment by A_Moose
    23:05 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

+1, fuck.

It's the perfect combination of English and Japanese, IMO. "Higurashi no Naku Koro ni" is a mouthful in English and "When They Cry" is written all over Japanese fanart anyway.

"Higurashi: When They Cry" is perfect.

05:41 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Another commercial from Sankaku ^^

05:31 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Order your copy today.

Comment by Fonzer
    18:55 19/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mitsuo Kubo said:
    I love Higurashi, it's one of my favorite series, but I cannot for the life of me stand the artwork for this game...I cringe everytime I see it...

does doujin have any meaning to you?

Comment by man1
    18:44 23/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

HAU-AU-AU-uuUU~~! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9LPKcjAtp0]

Oh wait... Does Hanyuu even appear in this installment? Ah haha... Seems like I spoke to soon. ;-P

Comment by Mitsuo Kubo
    17:18 19/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

05:40 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I want a box , a package or something , don't want to pay for a "virtual" copy

19:59 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, the way i understand it there wasn't a box in the first place even in japan since it was a doujin game distributed via internet.

Comment by tsukasa2600
    20:04 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I won the contest \o/, can't wait to play it.

17:53 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

MangaGamer sure charges a shitload of money. Their prices are higher than physical disc releases from other companies.

19:56 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because physical discs are so convenient and expensive, rite?

21:16 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd imagine the expensive part is printing and distributing stock that oftentimes will rot in a warehouse somewhere because of the more limited appeal and market of VN games. Not to mention that the general market buying these games will likely download them without paying instead of purchasing them, physical release or not.

23:13 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Also I hope we dont pay for their ridiculous antipirate measures. I cant imagine more contraproductive thing.

23:10 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The price is ridiculous - its more than twice as much as original doujin release even being only digital download.
    They could easily afford psysical release for that much.
    I will buy it but I will send them request to release Kai on CD. And I wont buy Kai if they dont cut the price or make the physical release.

02:20 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone who thinks Higurashi/Umineko are about the art are ignorant.

Still, it's nice to see that Ryukishi's drawing skills are improving.

Having said that, what's with the horrid title translation? "Higurashi when they cry" doesn't even make sense.

22:50 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Higurashi When They Cry" sounds kinda off...

Comment by announ
    03:32 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They have come a long way from titles such as "Suck my dick or die!" or "Which girl should I choose?", if you ask me.

22:46 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll wait till the new year before deciding on what to buy. Maybe the later titles would better...

Comment by A_Moose
    22:56 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There won't be any "later titles" if this doesn't sell well.

04:56 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There will be Kai - That is fact.

23:01 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck yes!

The When they Cry series has been one of my favorite of recent years. I've been hoping to play the game.

Comment by Ukonkivi
    22:41 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't believe how many years this took to happen. I can see this as easily being their best selling product.

Anyway this is a great move for VNs. And something that was just long overdue anyway. It's a notable series, but it's also one of the most unique, interesting, and innovative. Instead of being Eroge or Dating Sim, Ryukishi/DragonKnight makes it fantasy horror and mystery in his/their VNs.

This could very well help to open up the English speaking world to VNs. Or at least familiarize it with some of the greater ones.

Comment by SnooSnoo
    22:07 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Too late for it now.

22:15 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like the way the characters were drawn in the anime better.

23:02 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well of course. this is a doujinshi game

22:24 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

When all 7th expansion games will be out maybe i'll buy it. Maybe.

Comment by A_Moose
    22:53 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Congratulations, asshole, you're going to be waiting a long fucking time. Why would they release any of the others if this doesn't sell?

I'm buying this solely in the hopes that Umineko gets an English release.

09:15 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why if it have fantranslation? To get version without some features and powered by annoying engine? Also without any physical release - just some fucking download?

I just dont see any sense in your post...

Neither in previous post...

Comment by A_Moose
    13:28 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>WHY IF IT HAVE FAN TRANSLATION

Gee I don't know, maybe I want to reward the author for his hard work and wonderful story-telling, especially since I've already read one of his other VNs for free.

I realize paying for things you love is a novel concept amongst some readers here but for fuck's sake, people.

Also, there is no fan translation past the first story arc.

04:53 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe you can buy the original japanese release and apply a fantranslation patch to it? You really seem to be an idiot.

00:18 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Your policy of buying games that you don't actually want to play intrigues me. Please expand more upon this!

Comment by A_Moose
    13:24 17/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>Higurashi
    >Game

Of course I'm going to read it (by the way, it's a visual novel, not a game -- there is nothing to play). But I'm more interested in the author's other works (as in, Umineko) getting English releases.

Comment by bloodlust5
    22:04 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

More importantly is it any good?

23:46 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, it's quite good.