Asuka Appears in JLPT Level 1 Listening Exam

asuka-langley-by-kawata-hisashi.jpg

The Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) level 1 exam, the highest level of 4, has attracted note after apparently including a listening comprehension exam in which “Asuka” begs for number 4 mobile fighter launch permission…

The JLPT is easily the most widely recognised and officially sanctioned Japanese language qualification, and level 1 is held to be at or near native level; even many Japanese consider the test hard (although “filled with obscure language irrelevant to normal usage” might be more accurate).

However, as with many such language tests it is possible to study for and pass the test and yet still be hopeless in real-world situations…

The listening exam, presented as a “radio drama,” apparently features “Asuka” begging to be allowed to launch her unit:

Player 1

A transcript of the test:

ラジオでドラマを聞いています。

「アスカ、頼んだぞ」

番組の中では誰がどうすることになりましたか

①隊長が零号機で行きます

②隊長が四号機で行きます

③女の人が零号機で行きます

④女の人が四号機で行きます

Otaku will doubtless be delighted at how the test now caters to their vast anime-watching body of knowledge, and those who fully comprehend this might be able to approach the test…

2ch’s response:

What?

This must be a lie…

With something like this even amongst Japanese only an anime otaku could grasp the situation.

Awfully high level Japanese indeed.

Just where would you use Japanese like this!?

Probably a lot of Japanese would make mistakes here.

What’s up with this test? Shall I take it? Is it useful?

Try taking it, even Japanese can fail it:

jlpt-1.png

What… I got it wrong.

Anyone who can’t understand this is in serious trouble I think…

01:19 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Shit, I think I'll fail the test if I say, "No you can't Asuka, you're not supposed to be in this episode!"

01:37 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

This was my second year taking the ikkyuu (passed last year, but wanted to take it again get a better score), and I nearly got kicked out for having to stifle a laugh. I remember it being slower and more clearly enunciated during the actual test, but maybe that's because I was hopped up on caffeine and adrenaline at the time.

09:22 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Don't know where the Asuka thing came from, but the problem at the bottom is NOT from the JLPT. That is from a language certification test (Japanese love certifications) for JAPANESE people. For those who can read:
    日本語検定は,小学生から社会人まで,それぞれの生活環境と発達段階に応じて取り組むことができます。自分自身の日本語をとらえなおし,日本語を正しく使えるようにするための一つの手立てとなること,それが願いです。

I passed the JLPT level 1 years ago, and it is in no way as detailed as this in terms of grammar. JLPT samples can be seen here: http://www.jlpt.jp/e/about/sample.html

Remember boys and girls, take everything you see in a blog with a grain of salt, as they don't necessarily have to tell you the truth. Especially if their source is 2ch!!

09:30 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just to confirm the Asuka dialogue did indeed appear in the level 1 exam. Last question in the listening section.

10:20 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OK. Yes, the Asuka one is a piece of cake.
    The part under that labeled "Try taking it, even Japanese can fail it:" is a completely different test. That is all I was trying to say. The non-JLPT grammar is what I was referring to. Maybe I should start learning English again now that I have mastered Japanese...

09:30 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I just took JLPT lvl 2 this Sunday, and my roommate took lvl 1 and I can confirm this is not a fake. It appears on the last listening question.

Sounds hard but the question is just what is Asuka doing, thats all and it's a multiple choice so it's not hard question at all

Comment by OTIKA
    11:38 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

... that's a Level 2 question.

Comment by Bulldog
    11:59 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i'm sure if there are more questions like this, otakus are more spirited to take language exams...

12:45 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i laughed during the test

Comment by Ghostchase
    12:44 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wish my Japanese class had an Evangelion dialog test.

12:24 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait, what is Asuka (or an Asuka knock off, as it were) doing asking to launch Mobile Fighter *04*, anyway?

Haha, oh 2ch. Their opinions and commentary are always amusing.

08:57 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have never studied Japanese, but I did understand the question. Tho, I didn't understand the answers (I cannot even read hiragana).

Maybe I should start really studying at some point... I guess learning hiraganas will be the part that requires most studying as well learning the radicals for kanjis (I have never learned grammar by actually studying it, only naturally over the time).

09:25 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Faggots don't know about how the SAT this weekend in North America had a question on Anime and Manga.
    Basically reading comprehension compare and contrast between a weaboo who was liek "ANIME IS BEST OMG OM GOM GOMG OGM OGM GO MG OGMO " and someone else who said that "Anime is popular in the United States not because it is better than Amerikan Comics, but it is marketed to a wider range of people."
    Just that all you know.

Comment by motaku96
    09:22 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol. That was fun. I hope if/when I take the test, I'll get a nice surprise like this.

13:47 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That sure is an easy question for the dreaded JLPT Level 1. Even without the choices.
    I was expecting much more difficulty, so I'm kinda disappointed.

08:15 09/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I don't know why they are making a fuss - the exercise was really easy.
    Even a person with a scarce grasp of the language would understand what's going on, hence give the correct answer.
    How could this be in JLPT level 1 ?

12:33 09/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Have you really ever attend the test?
    Or you just judge it easy based on this sample only?

16:35 10/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As you can see, I was talking about that particular exercise.
    I never said the whole test is easy, since I haven't taken it, and I can't judge it without doing so.

00:06 09/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They should've inserted the song "Angel Attack" in this dialog.

22:49 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yea that question is extremely hilarious to end the listening part.

There's another listening question about the game 'Dragon Fantasy' (a popular parody used for Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy).

I think this year, JLPT level 1 is extremely hilarious.

16:01 10/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I took the same test and a bunch of us were laughing at the end of it.

I chuckled a little at the Dragon Fantasy question too.

11:46 25/10/2013 # ! Neutral (0)

I would have sat there completely dumbfounded... Hopefully I'd have gotten out of my stunned state before the time for the question was up, lol

23:33 19/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

WTF, is this really comes out in JLPT level 1? Even a foreign also know what is the correct answer!
    even a people who watch anime also can get the answer!!
    Is this a joke?
    i don't believe this kind of stupid thing will come out in JLPT level 1 test!

09:10 15/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

JLPT 3 had a text about a guy who learned japanese because he wanted to read manga.

20:48 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I need a level upper.

Comment by Atashi
    14:36 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Aww, shoot, I totally forgot about the JLPT. Maybe I'll finally attempt the test next year...

Comment by Niktesla
    06:19 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I was taking JLPT (lvl 3) ;)
    LOL, but I began to watch Evangelion on a day before exam(managed to watch ~14 eps. before it)...
    What i wanna say...
    1. I don't remember this dialog to sound this way in origional Eva. Either it's from new 2009 Eva or JLTP guys just played the script themselves. Anyone knows which is it ?
    2. Wish more tasks like that next years, on all-ku ;)
    PS: Crap, but i think i failed my JLPT L3 miserably (; All i could do was to make a listen test... Seems to be the Anime-fan destiny ;)
    PPS: Damn those kanji's !

09:23 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Definitely a skit. Just listen to the audio and you'll be able to tell how "Asuka" sounds nothing like the eva one.

Comment by Robert Patrick
    16:58 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not to mention the conversation about some "Dragon Fantasy" RPG in a previous question...

17:05 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I took the level 1 exam too and almost fell off my chair because of the question....
    Actually there was another question featuring a sister playing "Dragon Fantasy", asking her brother how to obtain a certain item............

Comment by Tasaio
    18:15 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Haha, I took the test this Sunday and this question certainly was there! And as a previous commenter mentioned, also a question about a RPG game named "Dragon Fantasy". Maybe they wanted to make the last JLPT of this format a bit different...

Anyway, I feel confident that I passed it, so nice! Three years of Japanese studies finally coming to and end! ...Or not really, I will still study it for quite some time.

Comment by Obsidian
    05:14 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm actually going to take this exam after a year. Wish me luck.
    Oh, but indeed I will. I mean, Asuka in my exam = Yay.

01:28 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

“filled with obscure language irrelevant to normal usage"

Highest level of the equivalent English language test that the Japanese have to take is also pretty ridiculous. I looked through it and saw words not even a college-level English professor would use. If the JLPT level 1 is basically the same load of BS, I won't bother taking it.

Comment by Bulldog
    11:58 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

reminds me of literature...

01:23 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've never taken any japanese at all and I understood it

Comment by Antiveli
    03:05 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No, you did not. Die in a fire.

09:44 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, I did. That's not very nice of you.

Comment by Matteas
    01:19 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can understand it. Give me my JLPT 1 certificate lol It's funny that I find this quite easy to understand, while I am not able to understand some rather common conversations that are much more useful.

Comment by onitake
    04:19 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

there's much more than the listening test, you know. lots of grammar, kanji, words, text reading, but still no speaking or essay writing, which makes the test more one-sided, but is much easier to evaluate.

Comment by Matteas
    05:23 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am fully aware of it. I hope to pass JLPT 2 next year or the year after next.

13:31 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wanted to take Ikkyû and got a fever on the day of the test >___<

Comment by Sulraen
    01:50 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it really Asuka voice?

Comment by TehBoringOne
    03:10 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No. Listen to the audio. It's up there.

01:53 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it's not that hard if you listen at it carefully.
    Besides, japanese culture includes a great deal of anime-dorama and mangas, so ignoring nge is kinda shitsurei.

02:01 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You are absolutely right... This is useless in real life...

Why is this even in THAT level!? I understood it, and my skills suck!

Are they lowering the bar? Or is that just a bonus question for an extra point?

Or maybe I've played too many games and watched too much anime?

If so... Damn...

01:15 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can anyone translate this test?

Comment by Crowbar
    07:30 08/12/2009 # ! Good (+0.6)

Translation:

In A.D. 2101
    War was beginning.
    What happen ?
    Somebody set up us the bomb.
    We get signal.
    What !
    Main screen turn on.
    It's You !!
    How are you gentlemen !!
    All your base are belong to us.
    You are on the way to destruction.
    What you say !!
    You have no chance to survive make your time.
    HA HA HA HA ....
    Take off every 'BAUMKUCHEN' !!
    You know what you doing.
    Move 'BAUMKUCHEN'.
    For great justice.

00:53 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The answer is ⑨. I think nobody would choose ④.

13:54 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The answer is 4! :)

09:49 10/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

⑨!