“As A Girl, I Can’t Comprehend Nagato’s Popularity!”

nagato-yuki-by-noizi-ito.jpg

The overpowering effect of Nagato Yuki on otaku has come to the attention of a female 2ch denizen, who asks how a girl with all the apparent warmth of a stone can attain such popularity.

A female Vipper poses the question “As a girl, I can’t understand why Nagato is so popular!?”:

“She’s a gloomy virgin who never changes her expression. Living with her wouldn’t be fun at all, and she isn’t even very cute. In spite of all this, why?”

Naturally such a heretical assertion encourages some interesting responses:

“The OP is unpopular!”

“Because she’s way cuter than you.”

“Nice one, old woman.”

“Women, go home!”

“For a creepy otaku, a bright and chirpy girl is frightening. It’s the same reason Rei Ayanami is popular. The end.”

“He’s right.”

“It’s because she’s 2D.”

“I’m a guy, but I understand what the OP means…”

“But it’s all about Tsuruya-san and Asakura, right?”

“I’m a girl, but I do think Nagato is cute.”

“Nagato’s goodness stems from her gloominess (reticence). From her lack of breasts. These emphasise her cuteness. The lack of these creates the supreme beauty.”

“2ch’s women aren’t women, so ignore her, Nagato’s cuteness is abnormal.”

“Lately it’s all about Haruhi. It can’t be helped.”

“Haruhi’s cute, isn’t she?”

“There are too many serious responses here…”

06:52 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I’m a guy, but I understand what the OP means…

06:35 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

gloomy? i'd say calm
    virgin? you answered your own question
    living with her wouldn't be fun? at least it wouldn't be annoying
    not cute? take these chopstick out of your eyes please,i think that's the problem...

but to say why people would take nagato over the OP:

"she isn't making stupid post like this"

06:56 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a guy, and I can't understand her popularity. Like I said before, when I look at her, I just see a big brain floating in space. I mean, that's essentially what she is, and I don't know about you, but that's not a turn-on for me.

06:11 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I love you Rei Ayanami!!!!!

12:48 28/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

i love you too Rei :)

03:04 03/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

i love ya too rei

06:11 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Probably because no one has ever heard her say No. Ever. +1000000 points IMO.

06:13 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Probably because no one has ever heard her say No in the series. Ever.

No matter how ridiculous the situation, I can't think of any.

07:30 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Isn't she pretty much a Yamato Nadeshiko... quiet, listens to Kyon, has crazy powers she is willing to use at his command... guess Japanese women and standards aren't like that anymore though

07:34 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually like Nagato Yuki. Shes quite and keeps to herself and shes powerful when needed. I also admit that of all the girls in my figure collection, shes the one my family doesn't complain about when they visit.

09:11 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mystery is sexy. Women commonly feel the same way.

As soon as Yuki demonstrated that she wasn't just a robot, lots of guys became curious about what she's got inside, hidden from view.

Comment by Aero
    09:08 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wouldn't the fact that Noizi Ito made her original character design be enough of a reason?

09:02 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

She's a fucking kick ass loli alien 'nuff said.

09:19 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I do believe that somebody is missing the point.

#1: Nagato has the mighty silvery hair colour that is associated with awesomeness, thanks to Sephiroth. It's an unconcious connection which instantly makes her more popular.

#2: Nagato is a FUCKING BADASS. Did nobody else notice her powers of fucking pwnsauce when she saved Kyon? I do believe forcing everyone in her immediate area (observers[viewers]) to have a rainbow drug trip at the same time she gets pwned to checkmate an enemy in a calculated fashion constitutes perfect marks as well as bonus points.

#3: Nagato is DFC.

#4: Nagato has glasses.

#5: Nagato is the silent type. Some bitches don't know how to shut up, Nagato doesn't suffer from such problems.

#6: Nagato is like some kind of crazy techno wonder, she can hax IRL. Otaku <3 shit like that.

Is there really a need to question why Nagato is fucking awesome? I think this shit is blasphemy.

Comment by Chris
    11:40 01/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Stopped reading at "Sephiroth"

Comment by Mr.Turnabout
    09:22 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*Huge Nagato Fan*
    Man, she's only just getting mainstream popular too, because before Haruhi got any popular, people were all over Mikuru's Tits and MOEBLOBness.
    I think since people started talking about the movie, she's getting all the attention.
    MAN, IF ONLY PEOPLE COULD READ.
    Then again, since Endless Eight, She does deserve it.
    As for this random "Girl", she can be all pissy. Still, she's really just mad cause she can't compare at all to Nagato's epicness.

09:53 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bitch is crazy. I'm obsessed with Nagato and I have a vagoo. Nagato is cute shit.

08:42 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

When a woman speaks only when necessary,not out of the need to just talk bullshit all the time,it's such a rare occurrence that it just drives you mad with lust.

Comment by Deep-FriedMilk
    07:46 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yuki Nagato is so popular because she's moe in a way that isn't generic and obvious. She gains emotions and changes as the story progresses. She has a deeper personality than most moe characters, so she's less predictable, which is why she's more interesting than many of the airheads and tsundere characters out there. You wouldn't know her just by looking at her.

Since she hardly ever shows any emotion whatsoever, otaku will get extremely excited at the rare occurrence of her expressing her feelings, especially when she smiles. That's why Disappearance was so popular.

Also, the Haruhi series itself is already popular, which is why she's known at all.

She is also a superhacker genius who's pretty badass sometimes.

I'm a girl and I think she's a pretty cool character.

07:45 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's true that at first sight Nagato isn't very cute, however her true nature comes out sometimes as very caring for those around her but she's good at hiding this.
    I think this is her main cuteness trait, or to me at least.

08:21 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

nagato is popular because she is the only female with a brain.. or at least, the only one I know. however a such unrealistic character is OK in the haruhi's anime, since it is science fiction.

and, of course, nagato has more sense of humor than many girls. at least, you probably do not have to explain nagato the "big bang theory" gags, as I had to do with my ex-girlfriend.

08:25 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

..and no, It was me the one who broke with her -_-!

Comment by TheBeast
    08:29 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

my guess would be that they like girls like her because they are indifferent. otaku's are used to being judged and made fun of. with someone like this they can be themselves and not worry. that is also my speculation on why all the animes have lovers come together and are able to be themselves. otaku make anime too. it is kind of a submessage to be sent on accident, i believe this at least. i don't give a shit about nagato or haruhi myself. i would be a mikuru fan myself, if i had to pick one.

02:36 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I love how this conversation sounds no different than something you would get on any other board anywhere in the world.

02:34 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What does Yuki being a virgin have to do with what type of person she is? I'm a girl and I think she is cute and even though she may not talk much I'm sure she is...nice?

Comment by erejnion
    02:19 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

anyway, I am bored.
    >I don't understand you guys...
    you are a guy. there are no girls who read sankaku
    >She’s a gloomy
    no, she is just expressionless. She is gloomy only in EE.
    >virgin
    wait, you are not?? news to me
    >who never changes her expression.
    then what are these long descriptions from Kyon's side? Or this moment after they wake up in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody?
    >Only reading books
    what about programming?
    >and non-talktative Living with her wouldn’t be fun at all
    enjoythesilence.mp3
    >and she isn’t even very cute.
    90% of the internet disagrees
    >In spite of all this, why?
    In spite of what?

alt reading: read greentext as answer to blacktext

Comment by Chris
    11:27 01/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>you are a guy. there are no girls who read sankaku
    You must've not fully read the article, as this was posted on 2chan.
    >wait you are not?
    Quite probable if she's not lieing about being female.

Comment by erejnion
    18:47 01/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

actually, this was my reply to some anon that posted the same comment as this girl on 4chan. I probably should have mentioned this, but what the heck, who cares.

02:56 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*Looks above*

How many girls are there in SanCon?

Putting that aside. Yuki has an overwhelming yet unexplainable charm.

You don't ask why you love her.

You just love what you love!!

ALL HAIL NAGATO!

07:25 01/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

She's some computer genius Alien. I cant even imagine what kind of things I could do with someone like her. And I'm not even talking about what to do with her body, just about her talents.

I mean, I can create a suber dupper computer virus-like algorithm to deliver all defence systems in my hands... Just think about the goddamn profit!!! She can alter the motherfucking reality too!!! I could turn all women into some cute loli-like girls! It's like having a GOD play by your hands. And, she apparently would take any order from you, Haruhi wont let you do such things.

Comment by Chris
    11:30 01/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kyon wanted to make it rain during the baseball episode, but Nagato wouldn't do it. You could say that she was advising him against it, but she does actually have some sensibilities.

Comment by Trepiz
    02:08 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

a girl not comprehending the choices of Otaku???

Comment by BlaqCat
    02:03 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with this statement (and it goes for most all "Rei-clone" types). Though is it -really- only "creepy otaku"?

01:41 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

same reason why some girl like the cool silent type?

Comment by Schrobby
    01:29 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As a guy, I can. ^_^

01:46 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As a girl, i just love Nagato.

Comment by Sylar
    01:57 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A girl that doesn't make you want to scream "Shut up". Yeah i understand why people like her.
    Simply she's not annoying.
    Haruhi is the perfect example why people would like Nagato. I prefer a girl that sits there all day looking pretty instead of that annoying bitch. Unfortunately most real women are closer to Haruhi than Nagato.

03:16 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well going with character - Nagato's a lot more awesome. She's not annoying or a blob, she knows how to work with computers (unlike unfortunately the majority of the populace that turn off people who can), and she's not selfish.

Going with looks, she's attractive - 2d no less, and fits into a lot of fetish groups XD.

Also, I agree that Nagato's the best character in the series, excepting maybe Kyon.

Plus as for the “She’s a gloomy virgin who never changes her expression" you'd hope she opens up to you :)

04:46 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Any question?

04:01 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"For a creepy otaku, a bright and chirpy girl is frightening."

Favorite response.

04:52 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

she's a schoolgirl in a short skirt

thats all that is required to be popular amongst otaku

Comment by Purple Mage
    05:05 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I always thought it was Nagato's reality hacking and dead pan humor that made her so popular.

Though I prefer Tsuruya as I like her happy cheerfulness.

03:57 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

IT CAN'T BE HELPED.

03:32 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I like Rei more because she has way more character depth, but considering nagato a rei clone(that she obviously is), i like her too.

03:30 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"-virgin-"

Bad how?

07:29 01/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ouch dude... virgin girls are the hardest to master. I've been with some and... oh man, If you do like her it's so hard to have fun without hurting her...

In a scale of dificulty, virgins are like beating a level 99 Mewtwo using a level 1 mudkip.

Comment by Ukonkivi
    03:48 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anonymous said:
    "-virgin-"

Bad how?

Some people like experienced men or women.

Who on Haruhi melancholy is even not a virgin anyway?
    Honestly I wish we had more sexually active type female characters.

Comment by Roninracer
    02:06 01/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nagato can be a virgin every single time if you asked her to. Or can be completely experienced the first time.

It's completely win.

03:51 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well, she lacks the combination to comprehend this very sofisticated popularity: being otaku and being a guy

10:34 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

because she is hot and awsome and most likely looks better than you

11:08 30/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a girl, too, and Nagato's my favorite.