Top 10 Manga You’d Like to See Continued

rurouni-kenshin.jpg

A survey asking manga fans which titles they would like to see continued anew even after concluding yields some not entirely unsurprising results, although in some cases it is hard to see how the events of the story lend themselves to any continuation…

The survey, conducted by Oricon, took in 1,000 Japanese men and women in equal numbers, evenly distributed amongst those in their teens, twenties, thirties and forties.

The results:

1. Slam Dunk

2. Hana Yori Dango

3. Dragonball

4. Death Note

5. Hikaru no Go

6. Touch

7. Itazura na Kiss

8. Love Com

9. Candy Candy

10. Rurouni Kenshin

07:23 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No twelve kingdoms?

05:50 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

^His name is NitWit. Go figure.

04:44 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd take Hikaru no Go before Death Note any day.

Comment by motaku96
    05:17 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. It ended with Hikaru just breaking into the pros. There's still a lot there for him to do.

10:59 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Now just imagine if Hikaru is leaded by Ryuk instead of Sae (was that the name of that ghost?)..

05:29 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

More Slam Dunk would be awesome.

Comment by Anonn
    08:04 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope. Things should always end. Unless that then we have Bleach and Naruto shit forever, never ending.

09:16 21/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A-fucking-right, I remember when Bleach started I thought it was so fucking good, then I got weary with the soul society arc, but I couldn't swallow all the shitty arrancar arc no more, kubo pushed it too far.

10:51 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I would love to see Hikaru No Go continue its story.

11:36 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

same. hikaru no go didnt raelly have a great ending...

12:07 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

agreed, though how long do you think they could really go at it? what till each of them own half of the titles?
    also, the new go players every year would have to be show cased too~ possibly another genius to help with the new wave.
    it sucks it ended.. but, it was a good ending~

11:35 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

death note and hikaru no go would be cool.

04:11 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder why Gantz isn't there... it's the MOST epic manga off all time, though its still going but is soon ending after its 3 month break witch will be soon over.

06:18 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you just answered your own question genius. its a list of finished manga that people want to see continued. not incomplete manga that people are waiting to come off vacation.

08:43 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why dragon ball ? damn !

09:40 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree too that, as manga has finished (long time ago), third season should be what wasn't animated, like Inuyasha (I don't know if that one is a good example), and not the remake crap (at least the first half) of FMA. Maybe it could be OVA's / OAD's (like superb Hellsing) so censonship wouldn't screw it.
    And yes, I'm not an english user, so don't point my grammar mistakes, I'm still learning.

03:36 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wtf at slam dunk.

00:36 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hana Yori Dango FTW all the way!

00:32 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If this was "Top 10 Anime you'd like to see continued", I'd put Rurouni Kenshin at the top. The last story Arc needs a proper Anime version.

01:14 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone who wished any of manga listed above to be continued just want the series to be ruined by overextending the story, no, seriously. Damn fanboys/girls ruin the shit out of everything.

00:27 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Surprised to see Love Com on there. Thought I was like in a very small minority.

23:51 15/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wow SlamDunk. definitely the best sport manga ever.
    continue this now.

23:23 15/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOVE COM ftw !!!

Comment by andvari78
    00:22 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Moar Fire Candy. That would be a blast.
    And Akumetsu... we need someone like that here.

Quick question: does anybody know what is with Shina Dark?

02:54 17/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Shina Dark isn't discontinued. Just very, very slow.

03:11 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

no BECK?! deym!

02:45 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what about berserk and hunter x hunter, writers bring one new volume every time they remember they are mangakas

06:19 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

because theyre not finished and still ongoing and therefore have no place on the list?

03:25 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

'Dark Whisper' being released on a concurrent monthly basis. Ikuto needs to stop making Evangelion Mech --updates and new- for those movies all the god damn time! Pass the task to some other turkey and get back to this Manga now!

02:14 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Thirded! Pretty face is da shiiiittt

Comment by Barbarian of Gor
    02:24 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They used to do that with "Knights of Ramune", re-do the series every couple of years, and I wouldn't mind seeing new Ramune, especially some translated into English. Really good (art wise) Ramune in Shonen Ace in the mid 90s, from imports I got for art practice.

Cutey Honey is also re-done in later incarnations. The latest is incredible, it has both the technical perfection that makes modern anime so polished, but they deliberately gave it a "Retro" feel (hence the "Re" name) making it totally "Shag-a-delic, Baby!" I like Cutey Honey a lot, it made this follower of "Marshall Law" actually LIKE "Superheroes" again. IMHO, she'd be the one "Hero" he'd not want to plug, well with his gun anyways...

The ones I'd like to see "More" of are simply so done it'd be pointless, like "King of Bandit Jing". "Gunm/Battle Angel" is still ongoing. Frankly, there are "new" stories and at the same time, it's the same story and what would be the point beyond simple crude entertainment?

What would be good to see is something that wasn't properly realized being re-done right, or something not yet in such a format.

I'd like to see:

1. An expanded/re-visulized "Sword of the Dark Ones". Intelligent technomystical blades, Rakashas, a fantasy world in a 'post-apocalypse' setting. It was drawn incredibly but the story seemed to be nothing more than a couple fights and was too slow in unfolding, and I think it was cancelled/abandoned after #3.

Oh, and some people here would like it for a sub-plot alone, they got "Loli". Specifically a child prostitute introduced early on who starts out as a "Foil" to the hero. He's into adult women, stereotypical "Loner, misogynist so the women he loves and leaves love him" hero guy, but early on he guards a carriage from some nasty monsters and it turns out it's holding "Working Girls". Among them is the loli who's really impressed by him "Mister! You saved the carriage, you saved us! You come by our house and see mee!!!" And she's an annoying foil to him because he's rather disgusted by the concept;-)

2. Vampire Hunter D, the novel. Sorry, I know the title is Manga, but this needs a re-write. IMHO, the Manga adaptation is good, paying tribute to both movie and book quite well.

I've been buying the novels and like them a lot, but the problem I have is that the translation seems more at avoiding "All your base..." issues than really adapting the novel. Like there are often excessive descriptions of characters, like this or that character is a 10,000K post nuke mutant hunter or something, but also 'special' in some way? Excessive and too much fantastic elements increases "Suspension of disbelief". Gene Wolfe did an excellent job introducing a scenario as alien, but did it brilliantly, such as by using "Forgotten English" and hinting at stuff.

Vampire Hunter D needs to be re-written by the ultimate hack; Harlan Ellison! Have him adapting the novels, it'll be like "Dirty Pair" where people start illegally smuggling the manga back to Japan because they like the American version better!

3. Shamanic Princess. I loved that anime, a "Shoujo" that somehow transcended its roots. IMHO, it's like "The King in Yellow" but anime, a strange dreamlike play that works on the mind...

I'd try to get Moebius, or one of his students/similar style artists to adapt it. The "Guardian World" is very similar to the background of Arzach, a world created by a strange object that is kind of like an "Egg of a God" that is semi-sentient and incredibly powerful and evil / good wizards try to use its power while the being itself is slowly awakening...

4. "Dirty Pair" is indeed a Manga I'd love to see more of. The American version! Adam Warren needs more funding for another series...he does it the best!

Comment by Tiedupinknots
    03:26 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have to agree with you on "Sword of the dark ones", I was really disapointed with it ending the way it did...

Also would like "Warriors of Tao" to continue, it was great conceptually and I liked the art too....

02:30 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

kenshin? are you fucking kidding me? kenshin fucking died, good riddance.

07:07 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what is your problem with kenshin?

05:25 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck you. : )

06:17 16/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wow, kenshin fanboys still exist? one of the worst manga ever bud, sorry to see you havent moved on.

14:14 26/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i want to see the animated ending of the slam dunk manga please!!!

16:53 22/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I, for one, would like a continuation of Death Note.

Personally, I liked the second half a lot even though it wasn't good as the first and it suffered a bit of pace development in the 8th volume. I liked Mello and Near too.

Maybe it because I didn't BAWWW like a faggot when L died.

14:33 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ditto on "Slam Dunk" and "Hikaru no Go"

I love those two manga/anime and everytime I finished reading or watching, I always want more.

01:23 11/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Outlaw Star! the first Season was only enough to peak my interest I would love to see a continuence. Other than that Flame of Recca

16:28 14/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

HITEN MITSURUGI!

21:11 05/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

1. Mx0
    2. Mx0
    3. Mx0
    4. Mx0
    5. Mx0
    6. Mx0
    7. Mx0
    8. Mx0
    9. Mx0
    10. Mx0
    Special Mention: Mx0
    Fan's choice: Mx0

Can I get a hell yeah mofuckas?

12:37 08/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

School Rumble should be nice... and oso Chobits this are the best off them.I dont like Dragon Ball(this goes to same with Bleach and Naruto).... bcuz well it like the same .... They just keep getting stronger and stronger and more stronger there aint anything special....

Comment by stray
    01:14 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Who's the artist that made the Kenshin pic. I want to see more.

Comment by Leraid
    06:27 16/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

where is eyeshield 21??? mxo???

10:30 20/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey can you please tell me who did the illustration above ??

23:01 20/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Mx0 FOR THE WIN IT SHOULD BE MORE, HOW IT ENDED WAS TOO SAD!!! IT MUST BE A FOLLOW UP OR SOMETHING OR ELSE IT'S JUST TOO SAD!!! =(

06:54 18/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ruroken Enishi arc would be uber awesome to
    see on anime...

To me, Madhouse MUST be the animator.

If they acomplish at least the levels of quality
    of Samurai Champloo, the ruroken anime
    would achieve epic levels of awesomeness.