Extreme Manga Style Changes

konteman-konata.jpg

Changes in style, readers and authorship, as well as change in skill, can all exert a drastic influence on how an illustrated work looks, sometimes to a rather extreme degree. Just how common this is is readily illustrated by the video comparisons below, which have ascended to classic status on Nico, with millions of views…

Comment by k-zumi
    11:40 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Maybe I'm going to get flamed but in a few cases I liked the "before" version more, but oh well ^^;

BTW, I feel Fruit Basket doesn't change character design, the artist obviously improve but this doesn't affect the characters directly, they change because they grow up, Momiji's character is a good example.

Comment by serial
    13:21 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

In some cases, the before version *does* look better.

Comment by Aero
    14:38 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"The presentation should be straightforward: original styles are presented first, followed by the revised styles and a side by side comparison of the two."
    Holy shit! Really?
    It's extremely hard to tell at times...

Comment by PunchMyballs
    14:26 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i think in some cases were the drawings started good and ended up bad is more due to the main mangaka no longer drawing his comic, and letting his assistants do most of the work.
    but in the other case it was great to see how some artists polished their skils and use of materials to achieve a better quality like

Oh Great/ Tenjo tenge
    Shaman King
    Sgt Frog
    Get Backers
    and some other i am afraid i don't know.

Comment by Lazydabear
    16:47 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why can't they do comparison Manga to Anime illustrations as a offensive joke to the Artist?

Comment by pwnzors
    17:00 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the third video doesnt work for meeeee. and thats the lucky star oneeeeeee T_T!!!!!!

19:01 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They forgot Step up Love Story... the differend of the Manga vol. 1 and for example vol.12 is extrem too!
    http://www.sceneario.com/Planche_bd_2943_STEP%20UP%20LOVE%20STORY.jpg [http://www.sceneario.com/Planche_bd_2943_STEP UP LOVE STORY.jpg]
    http://www.sceneario.com/Planche_bd_5139_STEP%20UP%20LOVE%20STORY.jpg [http://www.sceneario.com/Planche_bd_5139_STEP UP LOVE STORY.jpg]

17:41 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Srsly you moralfags, he's JUST 9 years old, he couldn't possibly be held for full responsibility. Let me guess, most of you come from the southern U.S. and support some right wing or even fascist party. You "morans".

21:13 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

cool story bro
    wrong thread though.

Comment by cking-sama
    13:56 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

where's the art change for D. Gray Man? i remember when the manga-ka went on her first hiatus while publishing and when she came back her art was a LOT different. Wish she would go back to her former art

11:26 16/04/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

I actually like her new style A LOT better! Everyone has different taste in art, I suppose!

Comment by Kyo
    17:31 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Try RAVE by Hiro Mishima. Sucks big time. Bleargh....

Comment by Da_Nuke
    16:49 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wanna see real improvement? Fire up Megatokyo, Questionable Content, or El Goonish Shive. You'll see by default the latest strip. Then click on First strip.

Brix will be shat when you see how all of them have improved!

Best part is, it's not overnight, you can see how the art evolves as you keep reading.

Comment by Rick
    12:48 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is pretty interesting. I remember that in high school we studied a paper on the "inverse aging" of Mickey Mouse. As the years passed, he seemed to become younger (bigger eyes, cuter looks resembling those of a baby). Somewhat like Benjamin Button.

After watching this presentation, I realized this is a pretty common trend, not only in the US, but also in Japan. And perhaps around the world.

Comment by kaitoucoon
    12:48 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i hate the new mahoujin guru guru style :(

Comment by Metalbunny
    12:43 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hell i forgot what anime the 3rd music from the 2nd vid came from =_= , somebody please help me T_T

Comment by Alaudia
    12:18 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

GODDAMN! CRAYON SHINCHAN BEST IMPROVEMENT EVER!

13:26 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Improvements are always welcome. Though some I prefer the original better. Although Mashimaro shocked me. I didn't even sense a bit of resemblance.

Comment by MeidoNiac
    13:16 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Too bad this went extremely wrong with Togashi's Hunter-X-Hunter..

Comment by MeidoNiac
    15:01 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm referring to the comparison between the Genei Ryodan (vol8-13) arc with the Chimera Ant (vol18-20+) arc, btw.

21:15 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

baw wish they'd showed that Hetalia webcomic. The art at the start is so lulzy bad it turns a few people off, but the guy's art is incredibly good when he puts effort in. (in colour pics and stuff, and the newer strips. I saw scans of the book and the redrawn strips look completely different to the originals too)

Comment by OmegaOppai
    02:50 23/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed Robopon's impressive swelling from one generation to another.

Does anyone know where I might find some Robopon manga to see the progression myself?

Google seemed burdened down by results for the old gameboy game.

Comment by Seth
    00:06 23/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's the first song from the first video?

23:29 01/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anatadake Mitsumeteru From Slam Dunk

20:38 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

whats the manga after slam dunk in the first vid?

21:34 16/10/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Can someone tell me the title of the manga in the first video at 3:20 to 3:42?
    Thanks

12:12 17/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

what is the manga at 5 min. in the first vid?

Comment by Offline
    02:46 02/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Aa! Megami-sama is the epic queen of improvement among all XD

Dunno why 80s/90s retro art has been changed by some...o_O
    Improvement is great but one shouldn't overdo it if the original style fits the story more^^U

And even though I like/draw this 'new century moé art'-like Lucky Star-but in some cases it was an unreasenable change...

Was happy that Ichigo Mashimaro and Gravitation were presented^^ Too bad Maki Murakami sensei kind of got lost in her new shotacon art...The manga seems to loose it's quality...:( And I'm such a huge fan of her work!! )T T

Anyway, these vids brought back memories of how crappy my first drawings were and how far I already came =^__^= (if interested my avatar is a sketch of mine^^)

09:35 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, One Piece art style didn't change at all. There's some minor cosmetic alterations, but they're mainly on the designs, the style itself is still the same.

12:24 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not really. Nami looks completely different to me.

22:32 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What was the manga featured at 3:47 on video 3?

Comment by Banzatou
    04:11 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If I ever started on a manga, I'd rather leave it discontinued than on-going and half assing everything.

To cheat on your artwork is like cheating on yourself.

06:58 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, Miyagi looks more like a gorilla than his early appearance.

Comment by Meimi132
    07:51 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ofc styles will change over time. Happens without me realising usually lol, tis very gradual, was with Furuba anyways. But cos I read CCS Master of the Clow before the original 6 volumes, I noticed the style was less refined, chunkier lines n stuff.

And WHAT is the song on the third video? The first song I mean, I know I know it... I've known it for years, but haven't seen the show its linked too... help me!

23:26 01/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And WHAT is the song on the third video? The first song I mean, I know I know it… I’ve known it for years, but haven’t seen the show its linked too… help me!

Run! Run! Run! ===> One Piece

Comment by Meimi132
    08:02 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, and am I the only one who prefers the original Lucky Star art?

13:25 29/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I totally do. It looks cuter (though it always looks cute anyway).
    But I think the picture they used for the before of Konata was kind of a "one time look", if that makes sense. I mean that I think her eyes were curved that way just for maybe one or a few panels, because otherwise the flat line top is consistent, even in the beginning of the series.

06:45 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Whats the name of the manga at shown at 2:53 in the first video??
    IMO the style was more appealing for me before

At 9:00… Is that Koji Kumeta? (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Kaizo???) woohh, if so it style changed a LOT…

The mangaka a 10:40 … I remember this manga was once in US Shonen Jump´s Manga explorer, the art kinda resembles that of Dragon Ball, was the mangaka an assistant to Toriyama-Sensei?

The manga at 3:47 in the 3rd video woooh!! I mean, I couldn’t have known it was the same manga! And the manga next to it… Is it the manga adaptation of Robopon?? Wooh, tits tooooo big for my taste :S

12:06 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what happen with first video? i cant see anything...

Comment by Mitsuo Kubo
    08:37 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it just me, or did some of these artists get worse as time passed?

Comment by DieHardjagged
    08:40 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It seems later on, they didnt put their heart into their work anymore.

08:33 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think I prefer the old Fruits Basket art...

Comment by Peter Barton
    08:31 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Some of the drawing were butt ugly, and some even went backwards in quality, but as long as the story is good then the art can take a back seat.

Comment by MARl0
    08:49 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Very common indeed. For a real dramatic improvement of style over time, just check out Penny Arcade's early comics compared to them now. You'd never know that they were drawn by the same illustrator.

Comment by k-zumi
    11:37 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the same with fanboys-online.com xD just funny

08:53 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I really enjoyed watching these, yet somehow, it feels as if the extreme change in art that the YuGiOh-manga's had over the years still isn't fully covered. I mean, just compare the original covers to the redrawn ones. You can really see the ten or twenty or so years invested.

Pfft, also at 03.35 to 03.40-ish on the second video, all of niconico goes "look, it's a yukkuri..." xD

08:45 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and what's the name of the song from the third video? (first song).. sounds like from Rurouni Kenshin or something

08:42 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

HAHAHA Joestar and Brando look like some yaoi couple in the older version:D

23:51 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What? I don't even

08:43 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what's the name of the song from the very first video?

07:55 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Someone tell me what song that is.

08:36 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Which of the over 9000?
    Since you didn't specify: Kaeshite! Knee socks!

11:54 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The first on first.

22:45 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Much appreciated.

Comment by minnaraken
    21:42 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It´s Slam Dunk first ending....google it,i don´t think it will be hard to find