Skirts High Fashion Amongst Japanese Men

shota-crossdressers.jpg

The latest fashion amongst Japan’s notoriously effete men is none other than the skirt, with men about the fashionable districts of Shinjuku often to be seen wearing long or even short skirts.

Staff from a Tokyo fashion shop hold forth: “There are quite a few men who wear skirts you know. A while back there was the ‘Comme de Garcons’ fashion of skirts for men, but lately this has spread to the mainstream.” The shop handles a variety of brands aimed at men and women.

okama.jpg

Men are overwhelmingly said to be preferring long skirts, though some prefer short skirts, sometimes with trousers worn underneath. One marketer for top Gothic brand Eichi Naoto concedes that while they offer no skirts specifically for men, “The cases where men buy skirts for ladies stand out,” with long black skirts a top seller.

The crossdressing action masquerading as high fashion does not end there:

“Unisex is becoming a keyword in men’s fashion. ‘Skinny pants’ aren’t just for women, now men wear them too, and with the advance in fashion gender men increasingly don’t feel a problem with wearing a skirt.

Skirt wearing men started increasing in the fashionable areas like Shinjuku a few years ago, and there are men who wear high heel boots too.

They probably became aware of how there are so many fashion items for women which show a good sense of style.

By the way, it looks like when they wear skirts they prefer to remove the hair on their legs.”

Top Japanese fashion blog “Elastic” conducted a survey of its readers, and of some 1,300 responses, 40% thought men wearing skirts were “ari,” they have “it.”

Skirt wearers offered their opinions: “I have four Comme de Garcon skirts. I wear them to wine bars,” “I wear them. It’s fun to press back the boundaries of fashion!”

On the other hand even some fashionistas disapprove: “Men wearing skirts still feels wrong,” “You can’t wear them normally. If I wore one I couldn’t go to university.”

Via Itai News.

2ch offers its own opinions:

“No! No!”

“I thought this was Scotland for a moment…”

“Impossible. These guys are idiots.”

“Gross.”

“I saw one in town, it was sick. Honestly, I thought he was some transvestite.”

“There was one at uni, but everyone around recoiled…”

“I’m often around Shinjuku. I haven’t seen any, where are they at?”

“Shinjuku Ni-cho-me.”

“Another boom?”

“This is gross. Don’t be spreading this around please, mass media.”

“I think you may be arrested in some cases.”

“I’m a woman… Maybe with someone really stylish this could work, but I wouldn’t want to be seen with them.”

“You hikikomori had better get out and take a look at the streets. There’s a surprising number of them. I even saw some in Akihabara.”

“You sure they weren’t just ugly women?”

“Garment makers are so desperate they are trying to get men to buy skirts…”

“If you are an old guy you’ll be reported.”

“Look at that picture. It’s too disgusting.”

“The age has finally caught up with me.”

“Sure someone hasn’t been paid to write this by the skirt makers?”

“I’m sick of the mass media making this stuff up.”

“Wear a skirt and urinate sitting down. Japan’s end is nigh.”

“I won’t accept anything which isn’t a kilt.”

“There was a fashion like this ten years ago. Lasted a year.”

“This is going to be reported overseas and cause a stir again, isn’t it? Like the men’s bra…”

Comment by Draken
    04:04 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think I'm gonna be sick...

Comment by Metalbunny
    Comment by Mopantsu
    03:32 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The Scots and the Greeks have been doing this for years.

02:51 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Welcome to the start of the new millennium.
    It may already be 9 years in, but by the end, the roles of the men and women will have switched and we will start needing support to protect the innocence of the men. And terms like "otaku" will generally refer to the female side who lust after the cute male characters, dressing them up in cute skirts and pantsu, just to visually rape them, especially if they are shota. Sankakucomplex.com may or may not exist, but if it still does, it will be targeted towards mostly women with the select few men who lurk the site, surprising everyone when they reveal their gender.

/vision

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    03:05 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*facepalm**facepalm**facepalm**facepalm**facepalm*

Comment by goodyfun
    07:01 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Once again, the people of the Internet are pussies. Men can totally rock a skirt. I knew a guy who ran a T-shirt related shop who looked great in one. Of course, most people thought he was a girl before he talked, but he still looked great.

14:26 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I used to know a guy who habitually wore androgynous skirts, he looked manly yet great in them. But then again he was the tall, lean type of guy.

Comment by Constantine
    09:11 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ummm, those are actually just feminists...

Comment by Jitensha
    04:47 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I remember seeing some men in skirts when I lived in Japan...had to do a double take XD LOL. I actually do believe I saw my first in Shibuya, so maybe they're spreading :P

Comment by Zeonista
    05:54 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I now understand all of the posts here concerning the surveys wherein Japanese women rip Japanese men for not being manly. I suppose at a certain point both Japanese genders will stop having sex with each other and vanish, like Tolkien's Elves.

American (and other overseas) men here, especially those not given to wearing skirts, our big chance has arrived! Time to start the website to get Japanese women to meet us! That way said Japanese women can meet, date, and marry men who will love them, cherish them, screw them silly, and let them wear all the skirts.

Comment by Aeromax
    17:10 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think if Japanese women saw the way people act in the rest of the world they'd be all too glad to go back to Japanese men

22:30 06/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe if they wore utilikilts instead.

Ya panty-waisted goat farts!

Comment by chindogu
    02:19 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the skirt looks fine. the white tennis shoes were a terrible choice.

Comment by Nimas
    01:41 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

First the man bags, now skirts man japnese men are really trying hard to be the biggest fags on the planet.

02:31 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd like to see a fairly attractive man try to pull this off before making a judgment.

04:12 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Agreed. The alleged man in that photo is awful.

02:40 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Otakus:

CULTURAL INTOLERANCE IS COOOOOOOL.

Let them wear what they want for fuck's sake. Half of the things I have on my computer would disgust a good portion of the population at some point.

/e rolls eyes

04:58 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because Male Skirts are a key element in Japanese cultural dress.

14:20 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Culture changes. Once upon a time tights were a manly garb, now it's seen as a female garb. Things will always change and evolve, and there's nothing you can do about it.

12:48 08/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is a fad, not a cultural shift. Learn the difference.

01:28 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I got a boner... crap

09:26 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol i actually sometimes wear skirts. they feel very comfy when its hot, you know. nice breeze cooling down your nether regions is aaaawesome

anyone who disagrees will automatically be a fag

Comment by あずにゃん大好き
    05:13 07/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

For all that guys which don't agree with the men's skirt... It's your problem. Nobody could tell me a real reason why men should not wear a skirt, the only garment that keeps male's bodies healthy and comfortable.
    Even really humans can write what's about the sex or gender when wearing a skirt.... how about pants, then?
    Amazingly people try to have an opinion..... related on what? I never would believe people"s culture can sink down so much. How about independence, freedom of clothes, speech - without turning models, people or fashion into a invisible cage?
    Mara

09:11 25/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Good thoughts, Mara. Indeed, never could me give an answer why men should not wear skirts and dresses. There is no answer, so men just should do it. But I know also, that most men do not have enough courage to go in skirts, even they would do it. For what they are afraid to? No idea. Invisible cage!!!

And a lot of the comments are useless. It is an opinion without knowledge. Just NOTHING1 Usually people writing whe n they have enough background information, checked pro's and con's and have a solution.
    gogo

Comment by cician
    08:51 26/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

watch out for traps!

23:34 26/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

man in short skirt

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IwD9YBiayMo/R009kMDAmkI/AAAAAAAAAJk/KQrl-QhzvY0/s320/silat%2B1.jpg [http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IwD9YBiayMo/R009kMDAmkI/AAAAAAAAAJk/KQrl-QhzvY0/s320/silat+1.jpg]

erm ... wait .. issit? :P

Comment by iPood
    18:06 19/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

“I won’t accept anything which isn’t a kilt.”

I second this, though I haven't tried any of those either.

15:26 09/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

its the crab people's doing... soon they will invade japan.

Comment by MusicalNote
    15:28 13/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

YES I SAY! YES! There will be a massive amount of ugly men wearing skirts, true, but it's not like that stops ugly women. Think, however, of all the glorious traps that could come about if this is done right?
    I know, I live in a fantasy realm, but just imagining it gives me the urge to squeal like a fan girl.

Obsession over traps aside, I see nothing wrong with this. I just hope it lasts. There are men who look quite keen in a skirt that isn't girly.

10:40 29/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not about Japan, it's about the freedom to wear what I want.
    Some of the comments are totally uselese, maybe they can't understand what the message want to tell.
    I am a skirt-wearer, and it is strange that nobody laughed at me, smiling, compliments every day, endless.
    Never I had this experience when wearing pants - no more comment neccessary. I was like the others, a uniformed mass particle, stereotype, boring. Now I am somebody, creative and people like it. I can talk about this kind of fashion because I wear it, I can build my opinion..... compare to those who only can talk about what they can imagine,

14:51 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Speaking as a Scot, this creeps me out a fair bit.

09:52 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh god, why can't they wear kilts?

17:21 18/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

“Wear a skirt and urinate sitting down. Japan’s end is nigh.”

Ha-ha.

Oh wow.

Comment by icecoldgangstaa
    16:36 22/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

ROFL! This is disturbing.... either these guys have a gender complex or are just plain stoopid!

Comment by LuckyCat
    07:58 02/09/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I could imagine it as a good fashion for priests with all black cloth. Long skirt of course. But not on anyone else, especially not as a street fashion....

14:18 21/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

If they look good, whatever. If they don't realise that they look horrible in it and wear it outside, then it's their embarrassment. None of our business, actually. If they want to, let them.

07:27 12/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I predict the shit will hit the fan when a lot of men start wearing short skirts and looking like traps

01:50 01/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's true that women's clothing has more style to it than men's, but nobody should take it this far. Ever.

23:24 21/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If it is possible for women to wear trousers, why shouldn't it be possible for men to wear skirts? I'm a man, I've arrived in 2009, and I wear skirts!

yours
    Klaus E. Mayer from Germany [http://www.paarblitz.de]

07:54 27/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, now the japanese are thinking themselves Scottish :D

16:27 14/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

not that i like this look, but didnt japanese men used to wear something like skirts in ancient japan? surprised no 2ch mentioned that.

18:19 28/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i find it cool to well wear a skirt. Am probably a weirdo well personaly i do BDSM so may be it make me open minded well probably cause am bi sexual too. But what i can understand is the term gross assosiate with a men in skirt i personnality find it sexy.... well it would probably be different if he weighted 300lbs but i would feel the same if it was a girl

02:32 19/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Looks very comfortable and good looking ! Nothing wrong with unisex clothing.

Comment by Nezumi
    07:57 09/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Personally, I like this style. Femminine men are totally smexy. DO want. ^^

Comment by Kyo
    10:07 07/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

WAIT FOR IT.........