PS3 Slim Appears on Amazon

ps3-slim.jpg

The long rumoured PS3 Slim has appeared on Amazon.de.

ps3-slim-amazon-de.jpg

The swiftly discovered early listing on Amazon’s German site lacks a price or release date, but looks to be genuine enough.

Additionally, Sony has been confirmed as having stopped shipping the “old” 80GB model in Japan and elsewhere, taken as a sign that a new line-up will be incoming shortly, with the Slim presumably taking centre stage.

The incredible secrecy and dubiousness of the rumours surrounding this release have made past revelations difficult to believe, but it appears this tips the balance in favour of the device existing.

Comment by Wandering_Youth
    01:01 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice maybe I'll finally go get myself a PS3 now. I always feel like it was necessary to wait 1-2 years after a release of a new console to insure stability for that system's hardware and software. I also hated how the first gen PS3 was so dang big. I can't see to see how slim this new PS3 is compared to the first gen.

Comment by TsubasaNoTenshi
    17:27 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Perhaps the latest in Sony's PR failure, this story will proove to be interesting to follow.

18:41 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So when's the 360 Valhalla Slim Version coming?

Comment by Tez
    18:50 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Most likely when the new version of the 360 with the built-in Natale hardware(completely hands-free system,unlike Nintendo's and Sony's solutions), which translates to early next year sometime.

Comment by smooches
    19:49 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So I just point my fingers at the screen and go Pew Pew to play all MS games. awesome

Comment by Oyashiro-chama13
    01:12 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anything with a USB could possible use the natale, so get over yourselve, I know for sure its usable with the PC not sure about other consoles, would be interesting.

Comment by Zetsubou
    18:14 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Regarding Artefact's mystery, I think Sony may hide the news about this version of PS3 to not affect the sales of current models.

22:06 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually I plan to time my purchase of the Fat PS3 80gb just when the slim PS3 is announced (August 18 or so), so I can avail of the discounts or new bundles as they try to get rid of old stock.

The circa-2008 80 and 160gb Fatsy's have been pretty reliable and don't have overheating / YLOD nor blu-ray lens / BDL problems.

Comment by quigonkenny
    15:43 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>>Just why Sony continues to refuse to acknowledge it so close to its supposed release is perhaps the real mystery now…

Sony got bought by Kadokawa and they're expecting all the rabid PS3ists to promote the new console by themselves. They'll start selling it first on backwater sales sites and in mom-and-pop electronics stores, mixed in with shipments of original (but slightly enhanced) versions of the console.

One month after release, they will commision Konami to release a new version of MGS as the only new game compatible with the new console. This game will have no ending. They will follow each month with a new version of MGS, each only marginally different from the one the month before, each with no ending (they all start over at the beginning after two weeks of game time). there will be some signs of unrest from disgruntled Konami employees, but through it all, Sony never will even acknowledge the new console's existence. ^_^

All joking aside, obvious fake is obvious. Like we're going to see the first solid information about a major console release on a European sales site. Europe is and always has been the armpit of the world when it comes to speed of console releases. Only upside is they usually get the consoles once the manfacturer has figured out most of the kinks.

Comment by Elixir
    16:36 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Now with 20% less features!

Comment by Y10NRDY
    13:32 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

about time. so long george foreman grille. you made the best sandwiches but i don't love you anymore.

12:01 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I refuse to buy a non-Slim Sony cosole.

18:54 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

to be honest, i could post a listing for something i dont actually have... as long as i have a jpeg file, a working bank account and a keyboard to describe it, amazon will try and sell it for me.

so until someone actually has this, i won't believe it still.

Comment by Metalbunny
    23:00 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

..What kind of features does it have???
    Except from being slim...

Comment by rawf22
    08:11 04/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder what they removed this time to make it the slim. After what I've heard about what they removed to drop the price on the original.

09:42 06/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The HDD could be removed and replaced with an SSD, this would reduce the size, but push up the cost by loads. Incidentally, it doesn't look that impressive to me. If they reduced the width however, well that would be a different case all together.

Comment by Shoran Himura
    03:01 03/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I´d love to see this baby in my desk but recalling now how was ps2 release with that overheating problem just like x360 idk rly...

oh well, to hell...next stop: ps3 store!!!

02:07 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

how would the slimmer PS3 get's colder with that kind of heat dissipation?

01:52 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They will probably announce the Slim on the Gamescon in Germany in a few days.

Comment by Takoto
    02:22 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I had no idea they were making a slim version until earlier today...

Comment by Draken
    04:25 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If smaller means less useless clutter...also meaning new pricedrop?

16:50 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow.

Just wow.

Comment by lolnerd
    12:57 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder about heat problemas XD!!!

Comment by InfiniteNine
    12:59 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Heat problems are usually a concern when a console is made smaller, but that means there is less to cool. Should check the internet for heat tests when it is officially released.

Comment by chogiebear
    12:51 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why does sony has the worst security of their products? First the PSP Go revealed earlier and now this? Better change security Sony.

Comment by InfiniteNine
    12:58 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Seems like the German Amazon releasing info before it should be publicly available just like Gamefly leaked the PS3 version of Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Comment by CowExtract
    14:52 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yay!

Comment by kousuke
    13:07 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just to pull some facts:

Release dates:
    PS - December, 1994
    PSone - July, 2000

PS2 - March, 2000
    PS2 Slim - November, 2004

PS3 - November, 2006
    PS3 Slim - some time in 2009?

Usually Sony roll out a "slim" version near the end of product cycle in an attempt to "cash-in" before revealing the next generation console. But we haven't heard anything about PS4 yet. And it has only been 3 years since PS3 came out, not exactly warrant a revamp. Either this is a fluke, or Sony is really desperate to sell their PS3s.

Comment by InfiniteNine
    13:12 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The $400 price point is pretty hard to push when the competition is around half the price, but with the lowered production costs of this doubled with a price drop would pull some good numbers for Sony and anyone who was on the fence from price alone.

13:30 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I am just not sure if the reduced production cost will be transferred to the consumers. When PS2 Slim came out, it had the same MSRP as PS2 from before. Basically, Sony pocketed the difference. Considering Sony lost some serious cash on PS3(although they did win the format war with their shit media), the logical thing for them to do is to simply increase the markup. I guess we will have to see what they do.

17:38 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

With production costs down %70 - sauce is sony lol

Comment by InfiniteNine
    13:37 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

With production costs down %70 I think it would be a little stupid to not drop the price at all. They wouldn't make a dramatic drop to gain back some of the steam lost from the initial price of $600 at a loss, but some form of discounted rate should be expected for at least for the fat generation of PS3s.

Comment by MaidNiac
    13:05 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And the winner of The Biggest Looser 2009 goes to..

Comment by Storm Wing
    23:14 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fortunately for me, i'm not a gay. Thank you.

Comment by makkun
    16:40 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

anyway,, why storm wing??

Comment by |3.|
    14:07 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow. Someone sure is butthurt long. I've been seeing you continuously bashing Storm since the asphyxiation article. Live and let go dude.

Or just grow up slightly.

Comment by maga
    12:48 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Seems like its finally time to consider buying a PS3.

12:54 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wow it's finally time to "consider" buying? It's people like you that keep whining about the price and when it gets low enough you still need to "consider"

Just earlier I read a comment by someone from elsewhere that said $299 was still too much for a PS3 if Sony dropped the price to that. That person should've just claim fanboy-love to whichever system it is and be honest they won't ever buy Sony.

Comment by Draken
    04:32 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As usual, fag anonimous is fag.

Comment by maga
    13:15 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well excuse me for wanting to pay less for something I don't necessarily need.

Comment by kirballs1
    14:51 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yo ifinitenine I'll add you I play blazblue & STIV.

Comment by InfiniteNine
    13:51 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well if you do get one I assure you not everyone is like him on PSN, but feel free to add me if you want to play a game of BlazBlue, MvC2, or whatever else if you do get one. My PSN ID is the same as my user name here, but not much into shooters aside from choice exceptions.

Comment by lovehate
    13:36 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't mind him he's just upset that more people didn't flock to his poor console.

Comment by Bla7e
    16:09 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lulz last year when I bought my X360 I thought 3 months before buying whether to buy a X360 or a PS3 and not to mention I thought of if even buying one is worth the money that it costs in my country xD so if there are people like you who think of 300 as of nothing there are some who'd like to spend their money a bit more thoughtful... lulz what am I doing getting angry over a troll or maybe that's me being idiotic xD

13:39 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sony fanb0i fag detected.

People have different ideas about how much things are worth to them. Unless you pay that guy $299 to get a PS3 and he still needs to consider, you have no right to complain.

Comment by Crage
    12:30 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Probably gonna be like the PS2 slim. Jacked up price and 3x the problems

Comment by nanashi
    16:55 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, I had 2 fat PS2s and both got fucked up after less than 1 year of use. The I bought the slim one and never had any problems.

Comment by Wilbur
    22:05 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh, same here.

Comment by kamanashi
    01:59 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I would have liked a SLim PS2, but there wasn't any real reason for me to get one.

Comment by Crage
    08:31 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol, either way I see no problem with my bulky ps3. it may be big but if u got the room, why buy another, y'know?

Comment by Mr.Demon
    02:15 02/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A friend buy a third hand 2 years used fat-ps2 and it's still running and rocking!...

but the Slim version only had problems with the AC cable and cooling... that were resolved later... but now sony make it at china... so the material quality it's low... but not so bad...

I hope that this Ps3 Slim could drop the price until at least 250$.... sure it lose the card reader and somes usb ports... even various Gb of HDD... I swear that will be no more than 30-40gb

...

Comment by kamanashi
    14:15 01/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's why I will stay with my Fat PS3 like I did with the PS2. Slimming it down might cause more heat problems, so I will stay with my surprisingly cool even when on for 4 hours straight PS3.