Japanese Men to Wives: Work!

idol-master-bride

Some men even express a willingness to take on the role of stay-at-home husband, if their wife earns more…

The online survey covered 1135 unmarried men, of whom 78% expressed an intent to marry.

These men seemed keen that the women work: 40% wanted their spouse to work full-time, versus only 20% who sought a full-time housewife. The results from 10 years prior had only 27% wanting a working wife.

Including dispatch and part-time work, 79% wanted their prospective wife to earn her keep.

However, women can take solace in the fact that whilst they may be expected to do more than watch TV all day, some 70% accept an equal division of household chores, which seems roughly in line with the proportion of men expecting women to work.

Women for their part apparently demand men with exceedingly high salaries, which rather suggests they would prefer the man still do all the work.

Most surprisingly of all, 60% of men in their twenties and 70% of men in their thirties agreed that “if the wife’s income is greater they wouldn’t mind staying at home as a house-husband”, which some are taking as evidence of the extent of their “feminisation” (though of course it is not hard to see why people of either gender would agree to let someone else do all the work).

The final result is perhaps a given in a westernised society: 95% of men listed “love” as a crucial aspect of selecting a wife, indicating perhaps that Japanese women need not give up hope just yet, if only they are sufficiently persuasive, though of course given that the vast majority seem to have a man’s income in mind when marrying it seems the gap between the marriage expectations of the two genders may be irreconcilably large…

Comment by Smokey
    07:45 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

thats why prostitution was invented my sons. i mean c'mon at first yeah its love n shit but after is more respect then actual love. so your not actually shagging now are you because thats the main thing u want after the whole respect thing comes in to play. and look it at a financial stand point. its cheaper to hire a hooker then have a house wife. a hooker costs about 50$ for a hour and u can do what ever your sick little minds come up with. now if you have a house wife u have to feed her, buy her clothes, pay her stupid hair salon trips etc. so prostitution is the key to all our problems.

08:10 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You can have both at the same time in one single woman. I have one, you just need to find it.

23:54 18/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

that's why you never offer to pay your hooker's hairdo...

Comment by Mechwarrior
    07:48 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If my wife makes more than me, then I will seriously consider being a house-husband.That will give me enough time to build a 1/35 scale EX-S Gundam.

08:09 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ok guys, i'm a housewife and i work at the same time, indeed i do housekeeping time to time so it's not like there's always perfection in my house, since i do the work too. My husband work time to time too.

Indeed i do all the housekeeping, we're both wotakus and gamers.

Indeed i think that's very nice that japanese men want that, i really think that a woman isn't complete if we don't work for ourselves or help out more that sit our fat ass at the computer/tv all day long.

In that aspect, yes japanese woman are thinking bad, because they want the easy life, it's not fair for themselves and for their partners. Indeed dunno that's gonna change ever.

13:20 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

is there any chance for you to divorce your husband and marry me?

Comment by asianprostitute1500
    04:05 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Blow up dolls are cheaper in the long run, don't bitch at you for not getting them what they want, require feelings of love and affection, and don't run away or fight back when you beat them. I still fail to see why anyone would like to get married.

07:33 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, some people want 'feeling of love and affection' but do not want to get married to someone. That is where 'cohabitation' comes into play, where each person is free to leave the relationship at any time if the partner is not doing their part in the relationship.

I know quite a few people who have gone that route while having children.

Comment by fxc2
    04:42 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think that in marriage you must respect the other's wishes and if you can't you shouldn't marry at all. Screw these kind of "ideal lover statistics".

Of course money is needed so someone's gotta work. People who don't want to work or do housework at all are beyond me. Should you have the money - if you don't work at least once in a while you won't be able to enjoy relaxation so everything about that kind of life seems rather pointless.

07:26 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Personally, that is the reason why I detest marriage (other than the fact that I think that it denigrates the people in the marriage by making it seem that they are only 'good enough' for one person): the woman and sometimes the MAN in the marriage doesn't want to keep up their end of the bargain.

Comment by Vegio
    05:33 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd do the cooking anytime.

Comment by ragaraga
    13:12 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

not surprised really

10:49 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, the more people who work, the less jobs there to go around.

Kinda fucks with equality, ya know/

10:45 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Some of these posts made me sad. :[ So many people don't ever want to get married because women are too much of a hassle, you can always get sex somewhere else, they only want your money, etc.

As a girl, I don't think I'm one of those bitchy money-grabbing whores. Not every woman is looking to get her hands on your wallet. I'd expect my partner to do his half of the bargain by at least doing some work and bringing money into the household, but I don't care what his salary is so long as he isn't just sitting there expecting me to haul in the dough. But I'd like to work as well. Working will keep me preoccupied, allow me to have some time away from the home, so that way when I come back it will be all the sweeter to see my husband. On top of that, having a wife can be fun, especially if she has very similar interests. I hope I can find an otaku man, so we can enjoy anime/video games together~ ^^

13:21 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hmmm, hello, this is SC we're talking about, it's fillde with otakus, take your pick honey

Comment by yaku
    11:45 12/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd like to believe there are otaku who are actually responsible hard working people looking for a nice trustworthy spouse to marry and spend their lives with here in SC.

11:16 10/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

of course there are. except otakus brains are usually 3D pig disgusting or at least in my case, pron vs real life, pron wins.

of course its astronomical to maintain a gf that's very pretty most of the time.

i'm looking for that exception, pretty but does not suck up mah money. very rare. meh i got time

14:27 14/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>As a girl, I don’t think I’m one of those bitchy money-grabbing whores.

You know what? I do believe you don't think you're a money grabbing whore. However, there's such thing as self-deception...

Comment by Lazydabear
    03:32 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I can understand Japanese men reason, they want a wife that works because by looking at there economy you can tell by the needs of paying for rent,utility's,food which in Japan is sometimes expensive its even sad that they Tax Children that live in Japan.

03:17 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If both partners share the same occupation, it's the best combination.

Comment by mi
    00:08 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

house husband...
    what kind of dream is that -_-
    man SHOULD work!

Comment by uguu
    23:45 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact, you always find the best pictures for these articles!

Comment by liveevil
    02:17 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A very practical response. Good thing that Japanese men are using their heads. Hopefully this proves to be consistent throughout its male population seeing as only 1135 samples were acquired [with the probability that they're all from a single place i.e. Tokyo]. True equality being realized.

Comment by Fonzer
    02:41 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Housechores,it's not like the men don't do it.
    I probably beat my mother and sister in doing housechores,becouse they are both lazy.
    But yes im not at home pretty much.

Comment by ChonnyD
    13:26 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't say that I blame lot of these men. I have my own aspirations in life, I want to get a doctorate in something someday and make lots of money. I sure as hell don't want a wife who's gonna just expect me to take care of her while she's a stay at home mom.

I don't agree also with the 70% of men who just want to be an 'at-home' husband all day. Get working you lazy fucks. As much as women are pain in the ass, you do have to give them credit for taking the lead role in raising kids.

Comment by Sukunai
    12:45 10/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

In today's reality, you just ain't going to have any life worth mention on one income even if a normally nice income.

I don't say marriage is required, but, a solid second income is sure going to make the difference. The days of a stay at home spouse have been gone for decades.

Of course it's nice when you can screw your other income generator. I don't subscribe to room mates of the same gender or roomies that don't put out :)

09:05 23/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm, now here is at least one good reason for living in Bulgaria :)
    Usually both people work, none takes the brunt of the money,leaving the other with pocket cash, both share responsibilities in the house and at work, both work towards the common goal that is a marriage full of love and happiness.
    That, I believe, applies for the rest, or at least for the most of European countries too, but due to lack of experience with couples from Central and Western Europe, I guess I am not entitled to generalize about them :P

Comment by Dark Mage
    01:59 20/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

For some reason Peg Bundy off married with children comes to mind after reading this.

14:46 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

how many people in the 'husbands' online survey were actually woman I wonder...hmmm heh I wonder what lesbian couples think now that would bring some interesting views. c'mon lady couple tell me what you think of this!

Comment by gargamel
    23:57 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It is almost impossible to make descent life in Japan if you plan to have your Gf/wife at home all the time ,if you do not earn at least 350.000 yen a month.
    if you have a child, add 150/200.000 yen of minimum needed earning.

15:54 03/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

No... NO AT ALL!!!
    Japanese Men to Wives IS to Work!?!
    This is completely WRONG AT ALL!!!
    The ONE THING is MORE than WORKING for...
    Is the FREEDOM OF EVERYTHING with the MONEY and TIME!!!
    That is everybody seeking of THAT!!!

Written by
    One
    BEast
    N.O.BE...

Comment by Stormy001
    00:36 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah no wonder the birth rate is declining.

13:46 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well obviously with so many divorces its not fair to get married and divorced just to have ur stuff taken from u.

Comment by God
    14:12 13/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I lived alone for some years, and did ALL the housework alone, so I know I'm a winner since I can live alone AND do that stuff w/o any problem.

Comment by Ukonkivi
    21:06 21/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact said:

Understandable. Honestly what I've read of this article today has put me in a much better mood. I'm proud of you, Japanese men, this time.

Comment by Busy
    00:59 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually the problem just exists because the most men don't have balls... If you made rules together with your woman, problems like this don't exist.

Comment by Ukonkivi
    07:21 22/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ayu Jochuu said:
    don't have balls...

I have always found this phrase really stupid and annoying.

05:18 06/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't just blame women for being material...
    For a long time we HAD to stay home and were NOT ALLOWED to take jobs and earn our money...
    And even though we live now in a much more open-minded century some habits are hard to overcome culturally...

I myself am a total disgrace to the female population...=^___^=U I hate housework, cooking and don't wanna have children...( Maybe adopt two in my 40s or so )...Am absolutly against marriage and even living together is only possible for me if I get my own room too...( Or my BF has to be a bisexual loli/shota/yaoi/yuri/hentai/ecchi/seinen loving moe-addict SanCon reader XD )

19:08 19/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

COUNTER ATTACK YEAH !!!! Fuck woman !!

07:44 02/05/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

people said that a lucky man is the man who has infinite riches

a lucky woman is the one that find the above man.

Lol

22:36 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Survey results indicate that 80% of Japanese men now desire a wife who is prepared to work rather than just sit at home all day, which is in stark contrast to the majority of Japanese women who still expect the man to have a much higher income than them."

Sit at home all day? Really? Hopefully you acknowledge that girlfriends/wives may sit at home, but mothers do FAR from sitting at home.

Comment by Zacharov
    00:20 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Taking care of children, especially, is a very tiring work. And even without children, hours of housework can cause the housewives to develop muscles.

15:13 13/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hours and hours of hard work usually amounts to nothing. It's far more important to work smart than just do it with lots of effort.

For example, air filters next to washer/dryer and in bed room works wonders, and so does a roomba. Dust really isn't that much of an issue when you do things smart.

Instead of pile clothes or spend hours folding them, it is by far faster to just hang them on hangers. So you get two weeks worth of clothes, and put them on weekly rotation.

As to toilets and showers, the key is to clean them right after use. And wipe them down with a car washing glove, those work great. Then spray them down with hot water jets from those shower heads you buy.

I live by myself, work for myself, and do all the chores myself. But you know, I spend less than a quarter of the time as those house wives and still manage better.

People shouldn't expect sympathy if they work stupidly and inefficiently.

Comment by clannadfanboy213
    15:55 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yay for feminism!

Yes, women working is feminism. They need the responsibilities as well as the rights to get their equality.

16:05 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agre 100%, if they want equality they have to carry the baggage that come with it as well.

16:02 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap...!

My wife can go to work and I will fap all day.

16:06 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

who do you fap with if your wife is at work all day?

16:20 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't you usually fap alone?

Comment by liveevil
    02:09 11/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes you usually fap alone.

16:34 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what a poor guy, I pitty at you sir

Comment by Chalkzone
    18:38 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh.... 2D girls?