Evangelion 1.11 Blu-ray Massively Remastered

evangelion-111-bluray-3.jpg

evangelion-111-bluray-2.png

evangelion-111-bluray-4.jpg

evangelion-111-bluray-3.png

In preparation for the release of the new Evangelion movie, the umpteenth remastered version of the franchise has been released, and the increase in quality is being hailed by fans as a real leap forward.

The remaster (or perhaps remake) of the last Eva film, Evangelion 1.01 You Are (Not) Alone, is entitled Rebuild of Evangelion: 1.11 You Are Not Alone Digital Master Version.

A comparison between the two versions highlights the differences (remastered placed first):

evangelion-111-bluray-5.jpg
evangelion-111-bluray-4.png
evangelion-111-bluray-2.jpg
evangelion-111-bluray.png

The latest remastering techniques are said to have been employed to aid in this impressive increase in visual quality, and  this is not all: there are also said to 99 revised scenes, and 36 additional ones. The soundtrack has also been upgraded to the latest standard, now coming in Dolby TrueHD 6.1.

Evangelion 1.11 is available now in both Blu-ray and DVD versions.

The next film is not far off either:

evangelion-111-bluray-7.jpg

evangelion-111-bluray-6.jpg

evangelion-111-bluray.jpg

12:16 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It would perhaps be more accurate if the screenshots were taken at the same brightness level. There is a definite improvement however, but the brightness enhances it more.

Comment by Y10NRDY
    13:21 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

ya know. i've bought so many different versions of the series that it only makes sense that i would end up purchasing multiple copies of the movie.

14:56 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

It still makes me laugh that people call it better quality, I call it making it a bit brighter...

Comment by Reboot
    16:46 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I just can see some chroma and gamma displacement. Not a massive remaster.

17:30 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've noticed this is a lot of remakes/remasters
    The thing I find silly about it, they do it with some scenes that are supposed to be dark for effect, thus ruining it

07:46 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, somehow in the cinema I thought it was awesome that you could almost only see the moving green glow-in-the-dark elements of Unit 01's armor during the fight against Sachiel.

I mean, both the sachiel fight and operation yashima are night scenes. I always thought they did it on purpose, if they wanted to make people see every detail they could have just addded in some searching-spotlights with their computer-software, probably a matter of minutes. But they did not so that they could later release a version in which everything is brighter without any light source added and then have fans buy both and discuss which one was better...

Comment by Captain Arepa
    10:59 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

High quality... *drools+nosebleeds* GAWD!

10:05 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is sweet. I would get this if:

A: I had the patience to order it (assuming it has subs)
    B: Had a BlueRay Player (cause if your going to watch something remastered you do in the highest quality)
    C: Money for the above 2.

As such Other Stuff>This for the time being. Still - I'll be hoping and looking for a torrent If I get time.

07:14 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, you just made me wonder whether the DVD version is also going to get the contrast fixes.

Comment by TotalPigeon
    11:36 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh, I read that as "Blurry Massively Remastered." The irony that a format with high definition in its name gets beaten by a format one letter away from being called blurry.

On topic, this looks awesome. It's been years since I last watched Evangelion.

18:26 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Dear Japan,

Stop pulling a George Lucas, and make new stuff instead of releasing 50 billion versions of the same old stuff.

Love,

me

Comment by Gainax
    01:28 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Dear Anonymous,

Sorry, did you say something? We couldn't hear you over the sound of all the money we've made off people buying 50 billion versions of the same old stuff for the past decade.

- Gainax

07:49 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry, did you say something Gainax? We couldn't hear you over the sound of all the different kinds of Rei and Asuka figures we produced and sold for big moneyz.

-various figure corporations

Comment by De JaY
    08:24 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy cow. Do want now! That looks just so awesome.

Comment by Deth
    07:45 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I admit that I never seen the Evangelion Franchise before... it seems pretty good as far as changes goes...

I always like it when a new version comes out, however, I also despise the fact that (at times) those new changes are nothing more than a few minutes of (so called) added footage... like a person walking an extra few feet.

(WAIT!) I am NOT say this is the case here...

It seems that they added allot of (extras) within this/the BR DvD, so in my book that makes it EPIC (already)...but, I will make a comparison, as I read the back covers to see what those extras actually entail...

Personally ~ I love longer uncut versions...of animé and films.

I do not mind purchasing a newer version, as long as the extras are worth it...

To get an idea on what Evangelion is about.... I am currently DLing ~ Evangelion 1.10 ~ to take a look at it...

Since I am curious...

Any more suggestions I should know about ... let me know...

Thanks ~

08:46 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Should have been like this from the start.
    The DVD version didn't really have any problems bar contrast issues as seem in the screen comparisons.
    Still, how they can call this a "remastering" when the original was released less than 2 years ago is a joke.
    Perhaps they should call it; "Evangelion 1.99, You Will [Not] Be Mliked Again...

Comment by Meira
    18:31 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I see no other changes apart from lighter images.

22:09 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow. Somebody discovered how to turn the brightness up.

And in the third comparison, I prefer the darker image.

Comment by Carrie
    01:17 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Huh. Compared to the box design from early April, it looks like they toned down the rainbows. Maybe they heard me joking about it. :|

Comment by Heavyoak
    09:42 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

SO we will be seeing Rei is life like rendering?

DO WANT!!!!!!

Comment by metatron
    14:59 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fuck this is epic O___O

must have a copy XD

Comment by KajunBowser
    02:10 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't wait for FUNi release, esp. if they release a BluRay version as well.

Comment by c45
    13:32 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it seriously pissed me off how terrible the dvd quality was. this new blu-ray looks nice.

07:27 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fail anime is fail

07:34 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't even afford to *pirate* the blu-ray discs, much less buy the retail lol

Comment by kindless
    Comment by repure
    05:02 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ive seen the 1st movie 10x already and im still psyched about watching it all over again(in Digital Master Version @_@)

and i just found out that theres a NEW kannagi episode(ova?) and its already released in RAW...
    still confused how sankaku's radar didnt catch this...
    anyway i hope they subbing soon~

Comment by repure
    05:03 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fixed:
    i hope they'll subbing soon~

Comment by repure
    05:04 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Re-fixed:
    i hope they’ll be subbing it soon~
    (its 4 am in the morning so sue me for making typo's..)

Comment by sanimej2
    09:42 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You'll hear from my lawyer!!!

05:59 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy shit, new kannagi. Thanks for the heads-up. I always miss these OVA/OAVs. Note to self: Must lurk /a/TT/Nyaa more.

As regards the news article; I haven't even seen the first movie yet. I'm saving it on my hard drive for a special occasion, or when the next one comes out so I can watch them back to back.

Eureka Seven movie, however; now that I will be downloading and watching at the speed of light.

08:11 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Small addendum to my previous missive as I just watched the Kannagi ep. It barely needs subs as there are many frequently used Japanese words involved. Still I probably missed some subtleties.

Anyway, it is win. Especially the prevalent mizugi action and in particular Zange-chan. Fucking moe.

Comment by Toonleap
    08:49 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Good Kannagi Episode indeed... :)

I laughed a lot with Nagi and Zange antics...

Comment by Riful
    05:23 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I just hope we don't get dicked over stateside and end up with dvd only and no blu ray.

05:46 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

after watching the dvd 1.01 ten times over you should be ready for importing the original blueray-release without subs

Comment by CC
    05:35 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Things like this make me consider buying a blu-ray player :x
    That's some impressive improvements, whoever said you can't improve upon perfection was wrong.

Comment by fatimmortal
    05:47 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Or a notebook with bluray player. Or buy a bluray player or burner for your desktop-pc. They are around 50$. PS3 has lost its advantage while nobody was looking...

Comment by BakaDI
    05:22 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hum, I watched the original series + The End of Evangelion about 7 years ago. I was following the manga but it just stopped being released here. So I just gave up Eva. But now I'm kinda interested in these movies. What are they? Retelling of the ending or retelling of the whole thing since the beginning? Does anybody know?

Comment by Shuu
    06:24 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They retell the whole thing, and make certain minor changes and additions.

Comment by BakaDI
    07:41 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I see, thanks.

05:45 29/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wait until you see the second movie...

bricks will be shat...

Comment by Toonleap
    05:14 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Most of the changes includes a new technology used for the first time in an Bluray anime called SBMV (Super Bit Mapping Video)

It fixes the gradient problem in the original release.

12:50 28/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice article. Ergo Proxy was notorious for banding. I'd like to see that kind of tech applied to that series on bluray.

04:42 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I fapped to this

Comment by Hirohata
    04:41 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm actually speechless seeing how much more awesome it just became.

04:30 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Where did the Mari screens come from? Trailers?

Comment by nox
    04:30 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't understand. Aren't the last two pics captures of the second film? Or the content of the 36 additional scenes?

Comment by sevenskyfever
    04:35 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you got a point.I think it should be in the additional scenes,to give a sneak peek of the new character for the coming movie.

Comment by Artefact

That was unclear, apologies.

Comment by korosora
    05:43 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Really? 4 minutes to reply? Hell, I take longer for some IM'ing conversations...

Comment by Chrouya
    08:35 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's Artefact you're talking about...