Japanese Animators Get Slave Wages: $11,000 A Year

sayori-sleeping

Anybody aspiring to contribute towards Japan’s colossal animation industry will likely be having second thoughts on seeing the latest statistics on their pay; the average annual salary paid to an animator in their twenties is a pathetic ¥1,100,000, rising to an even more shocking ¥2,140,000 in their thirties.

The average salary for a Japanese worker is approximately ¥4,500,000, with the average for those in their twenties being some ¥3,500,000, and for those in their thirties it is ¥4,800,000.

The figures for animators comes from an industry survey of 700 people working in the field, and caused no small surprise when it was reported on national news.

Just how these wretched slaves survive on such meager recompense is quite the mystery, though doubtless anyone earning so little must have additional sources of income. However they may scrape by, some of the deficiencies of animation visible in less well funded or overseen anime suddenly swim into focus

Not only this, but as we heard before, seiyuu also have trouble making ends meet. Anime seems not to be such a lucrative business for its more replaceable workers.

Via Itai News.

Japan has in the post war period adopted a highly age dependent salary structure in many industries, which rewards company loyalty and long service, but does little to motivate highly talented workers to excel or push their careers forward at a faster pace.

This structure is showing signs of breaking down in some areas, but clearly the animation industry is not such an area.

Many are wondering just how this industry expects to retain and grow talent domestically when it forces its future star production staff into impossible wage competition with low cost producers such as Korea, China or South East Asia.

Whatever the case with salaried animators, the creative talent which is the greatest impetus towards the production of quality titles is comprised of mangaka, novelists and game studios, all of whom generally exist in conditions of pure meritocracy, and so sink or swim based solely on the success of their work in the market, an unpredictable existence which animators are insulated from.

That more of the pie is left over for creators is perhaps not a bad thing…

• Economics 101: if the wages are low, it’s because there are too many animators. The market is trying to tell you to look elsewhere. If that’s all you can do, you’re stuck. If you have any other skills, move on. As far as buying new cars for CEOs, remember that with super taxes on the rich, the pay scales adjust UPWARDs to make up for it. Be it a CEO or a ball player, if you want a million take home, you may have to be paid two or three million in “salary”. Politicians will make hay, but generally speaking every move by governments to “punish” rich just jacks up their pay scales.
    The market says the pay is only worth 11k a year right now (and maybe forever). You might wish to look elsewhere, or go back to school to learn a better paying trade. The market is screaming this to people, but few listen…

• If there is anything positive to say, is that this weeds out all the fakes , wannabes , and mediocres and the people that have a true heart for it go thru despite the storm . I remember when anime fans in America had to higher translators and watch raw anime and stop every 5 min to ask what was said . I give a toast to the animators . Anime means alot good times or bad .

• I am willing to pay for the animes i like. I don’t mind paying the price if the quality of the subbing and the videos are good.

Except for the fact that, hey~ Student does not have lots of money for them. At my side, one dvd set can cost up to 70 bucks and more. >_> How can we even pay that? Know what I mean? Moreover, anime here are like a few years ago thingy? Takes about 4-8 years before it starts appearing….

• Anonymous says:

Don’t these guys have a UNION — or start forming one? That’s MANDATORY in cases like this, and requesting not flat wages but _percentages_ of the profits. George Lucas does this with his actors and it worked damn well.

Well, define successful.

The really rich guys are the ones who have long going series running. And those whose works are adapted to anime. So yes, the riches ones would Rumiko (Inuyasha), Kishimoto (Naruto), Kubo Tite (Bleach) etc.. and they are very rich. I remember reading somewhere that Rumiko Takahashi was one of the highest tax payers in Japan!

• Anonymous says:

If i convert 11k buck to our currency….
    Thats 900$ a month right? Thats ~175k HUF, with the pre-crisis conv.rates, it’d be ~120-130k… that is just an average monthly salary here. But hey, I’m living in a post-communist country, who is NO1 in failing at economics, our nation debt in GDP% is the highest etc…..

• Anonymous says:

It’s not always better when you make more…When you make a lot then IRS will come after you like wolf pack on lamb chops. On the book you can make a lot but what you get into your pocket is next to nil. Whenever April comes I get headaches…

• Anonymous says:

The world of animation is a very small market, therefore people who work in the animation industry are obviously going to get paid minimum wage. Its sad, but if they were to pay people more then companies that produce animation wouldn’t last long, such a harsh reality for those pursuing their dreams in animation. Companies these days aren’t making much money off of Anime and such and when their shows are broadcasted on television, the broadcasting companies are pretty much reaping most of the profits.

This would be the reason why quality is so hard to focus on when it comes to producing a show, is it worth the effort? Are you the kind of person who doesn’t mind living off a minimum wage and want to produce the best quality animation? Do you, an animator, have the time to put quality in your work? Let’s be thorough here people!

• On my standards that’s actually a lot. But when you take the cost of living in Japan into account it obviously isn’t enough. I’m not surprised, i’ve heard a while ago that anime staff were underpaid and overworked because of tight deadlines.

“On the other hand, many of these employees are irrepressible otaku who could scarcely be prevented from working in the field; in these cases, employers can hardly be blamed for not paying them over the odds.”

That’s exploiting the employee’s interests for personal gain. Just because they really want to work as an animator regardless of the shitty pay doesn’t mean that you don’t have to abide by the laws and regulations and of course, business ethics. *Sigh*

• I currently work in Japan – Assistant English Teacher (ALT) – and I earn 3.6 million yen per year: about three times that of the average animator.

Through happy and fortuitous circumstance, I was able to become friends with a director and producer at AIC Studios. They took me on a tour of the place . . . at one o’clock in the morning, when all the animators were working. They explained that all of them had to work at night because they had jobs at places like 7-11 and Lawson’s or McDonald’s.

I’ve known for a long time that their pay was only about 10,000 dollars a year. I think it’s despicable and makes all the worse their extortion-like prices for DVDs.

• Anonymous says:

Yeah, it really is disgusting. They work for practically nothing and have to have a second job just so they can do the animation work. I couldn’t imagine doing that.

Hell, even here in the U.S. if you are an Animator you’re going to end up pulling a ton of all nighters… but at least the pay is DECENT even for a beginner animator. At least 35-40k starting salary and you can work up to 90k if you stick with it and are amazing.

• i work in the industry myself so i already knew pay was low, but that salary’s just for the anime stuff, cartoon stuff pay a whole lot more than that.

if someone’s planning to get into the anime industry but still want a decent salary then your best bet is to get hired in an american company that have an anime division.

• honestly 90% of the people reading this are shocked that their dreams were crushed so easily, yet none of you wouldn’t hesitate at the chance to tell a stupid girl that it’d be impossible for her to get a job as top model and actress because she doesn’t have that stand out beauty. this is karma telling you that your art sucks.

• Redsight88 says:

Geerie, you kinda reminded me of how American cities like New York City don’t want people filming amateur videos to protect people’s privacy, yet they allow paparazzi to follow celebrities around.

• Anonymous says:

If I was an animator I’d love to draw stuff like the old Tex Avery shorts. It looks like stuff like that would be easier on the animators, especially today. It’s too bad that kind of animation doesn’t fly anymore. IMO, it’s still the best animation I’ve ever seen, despite the simplistic characters. They seem to have all the tricks and shortcuts in and out of the book to make simple characters look 100% alive. Now-a-days, in america, that stuff’s been replaced by flash animations and 3D crap.

• I went for 2 years straight on almost exclusively oatmeal, peanut butter, jam, whey protein powder, tap water, and multivitamins. Sometimes rice or noodles when I needed something different. Only ate once or twice a day.

As long as you do still splurge on rare occasions it’s not so bad.

Just watch your macro and micro-nutrients (complex carbs over simple sugars, enough fiber, reasonable amino acids ratio in your protein, enough electrolytes particularly potassium, calcium, magnesium), see to it caloric intake is still over 1000/day (I’m 135 pounds), and you’ll be fine.

Monthly bill for food was about $25.00

These days I’m working slave hours (IMO) at my job (48 hrs/week, including transit time), so when I scrape myself out of debt again I’ll cut the hours and reclaim some free time.

But that means living meekly once more.

Some people are so spoiled with how much money they make… (Artefact included, judging from his narrative bent on the article)

• Anonymous says:

According to my knowledge, generally when you have a word starting with a vowel (I know there are exceptions) you have to use ‘an’. So “a unpredictable existence” is incorrect.

• *sob sob* What loyalty they show towards our favorite cartoons *sob sob*

Anyway it’s teh producers fault, for coming up with stupid ideas that wont bring money. Even I could pickup an awesome manga to animate, that’ll be much more popular than the shit theese days.

• Hmmmm. What position of the animators were surveyed? It makes sense to me if it were people just doing clean up and inbetween work. But artist that do keys and such should be getting more.

From my own experience, from what I’ve seen they do freelance for multiple studios at the same time and not really binded to one studio’s project. Seeing this, I would assume there’s more income coming in then the measly 11k per year income…?

• Here in the US, there is a system to help those who lose their jobs. If you weren’t fired for being a fucking retarded employee, but simply have to be let go from your position due to business downsizing or things of that nature, you may apply for government funded survivability benefits (unemployment insurance). They will check your work record and contact your previous employers to verify that you were not at fault for losing your job. Then, they will determine your rate of survival pay, which you will have to apply for each week. When you reapply each week, you have to show them proof that you are looking for a job. If you have trouble with getting a job, they also provide training seminars to teach you how to write your resume, how to behave during an interview, and other basic things you may need help with in finding a job. Many people like to take advantage of this system and be lazy while they are unemployed, living off the unemployment check the government sends them. I for one am truly grateful for this system, and am working hard on finding a part-time job so as I do not consume more of the tax-payer’s money whilst in this state of unproductiveness.

• Kurohana Setsuna says:

I still plan to go to Japan and become an animator and a game artists cause that’s what “I want” to do. Money is money where ever you go. If you bitch or nag about your pay but yet you have the job you always wanted then you really don’t deserve that job. It’s what you label things is what gives the bad names, the bad reputations and all that stuff. Fuck what people say and of coarse fuck the system that you live in cause if you follow the system rules then your just like every miserable person who just bitches about this and that and never did anything. But, if you do what you want to get what you want by using the system towards your needs or wants, then your a leader towards your independence by loving what you do, just knowing that you did what you wanted and feeling…”I did that” or “I made it”. For those Otaku out there who wanted to go to Japan and be an animator and say, “oh…if that’s what they get paid then never mind” then you were never an Otaku. For the real Otaku out there… well they know what’s up.

• no matter how much you love to do something, its never worth it to waste your prime years and starve your self. I dont mind getting minimum living wages and live in a 200sqft room but if I cant even afford that, then I rather a high paying job and then do indy animation on projects that I want to work on with much higher quality

which is why more indy stuff is getting the rise

also, one should never support being under paid for something they put all the sweat in when another is just taking all the fruit. Its called ‘abuse’ and its people like you that makes it harder for the rest of us to have a decent living at art

• Redsight88 says:

Kurohana Setsuna:
      I don’t know what race you are or which country you’re from, but do you think a Japanese company would hire a “spoiled” white guy from America or the UK(That’s the the main demographic for otaku in western English speaking countries) for a position that requires lots of hours for little pay? Not to mention if the person isn’t fluent in Japanese. Plus, even if they ignored a foreign name on a resume, you have to attach a picture to them. Would they even consider a non-Asian person for such a demanding and “Culturally” Japanese job?

Mister Kurohana, if you’re Asian, you’ll have to admit to having a much better chance to get hired and get better pay than a non-Asian.

• Fuck the system and you want to move to Japan? LOL your post shows your don’t understand Japan at all, if you showed this attitude to any Japanese person they’d probably run away from you. Quick…..name the number of really successful gaijin managa-ka……can’t think of any? Cuz there are none. You saying you’re gonna go to Japan and kick ass is like me saying that I’m gonna invent an awesome new car and go to Japan and all the Honda and Toyota buyers will buy mine. Only one problem with that idea….Japanese car buyers only buy Japanese cars….just like Japanese otaku only buy Japanese anime/media. What, you thought Marvel and DC had no interest in Japan and that’s why they don’t succeed there? No, they’re dying to succeed in Japan but they’re not Japanese so they can’t succeed. Not to mention the fact that this article shows that a Japanese creator will work for a lot less than you.

• Great logic there, daz. The japanese industry is very different from that of other nations.

I do applaud Kurohana’s idea that you should be happy doing what you love, but the fact of the matter is that you still need to eat and pay your bills. With your mentality, you might as well do your work for free. I doubt you’d want to deal with overtime hours, poor work environments, and a boss who’s probably a dick, for less than what a part-time bagboy makes.

• My advice to you Kurohana is to find an alternative way into Japan then diving head on.
          There are foreigners working the Japanese animation industry, but they have exceptional skills and something to offer. You have to ask yourself what makes you different from the rest.

Passion is great, but you have to be smart about it since you want to work in a field where the odds are against you while you’re trying to sell yourself.

• If I were you, I’d stay put here. This nation seems to be in the best conditions amongst other nations (gas in the EU is about twice as high as it is here) and other countries are less developed. Not to mention that we have the strongest military force in the world. When other countries get pushed around, who they gonna call? The US of course! We lend our naval troops and marine force to other countries, to fight against the evils of oppression and terrorism. And we have freedom of religion, and our citizens are free to do whatever they want (except of course, raep, pillage, and plunder; anything immoral basically) and we have a surplus of food and a free enterprise economy.

Be glad you’re livin’ in America :3

• Kurohana Setsuna says:

First of all just stop cause to know the “TRUTH” you have to go back to your “ROOTS” or your history, correct me if I’m wrong on that one. You say this country fights and I quote “against the evils of oppression and terrorism. And we have freedom of religion, and our citizens are free to do whatever they want (except of course, raep (oh and it’s spelled ” rape “), pillage, and plunder; anything immoral basically)” I’ll give you that this country did a lot for us in…well when they first got here, but the same people you say “protect” us from evils of oppression and terrorism, well remember who was here first, The Mayans, The Aztecs, The Incas, the “Natives” were here first. This whole country is pretty much Mexico. But yet this country is known as The “United” States of America. This country is no way shaped or formed of unity. The only way this place is united is by the working class, the middle and poor class and some upper class men who understand our struggle. This country is a false system. The ancestors of this countries leaders came here and “raped” the natives freedom. They came here and took what they think now as “theirs” and hid their secrets and false systems here just to gain more money to “try” and “Police” the world. (They will fail) Do you know that “everyone’s” money goes into The National Bank Of The United States? Do you know who owns that bank? Not the United States. I’ll tell you, it’s the UN that owns that bank. The US is in dept, I’m sure that everyone is aware of that. The US is “Still” paying the dept that the UN loaned to the ancestors of this countries leaders, to come to this country and take over. Read a book before you start praising some false country.

• Redsight88 says:

You guys mentioned freedom of religion, but no one ever mentions freedom “from” religion. Despite popular belief, Our founding Fathers didn’t create a Christian nation, and many of them were pessimistic towards all religions, including some of our most important historical figures. But, ask most Christians and they’ll take credit for this nation’s freedoms.

Most don’t know this, but in several states, you cant run for high positions in public office if you’re an atheist. Also, “one nation under god” and “in god we trust” were added to our pledge and our paper money in the 1950s by the Christian majority in the government for the sole purpose of boosting Christian morale During the cold war, and adding to the propaganda against the “godless” communists.Fighting these clear violations of the constitution is extremely difficult, because most higher up politicians are religious, and would dismiss your claims. The separation of church and state doesn’t mean crap when few in the government enforce it.

About something else that was brought up, America has one of the most corrupt governments in the world. I say this because they go to such tremendous lengths to hide this from other countries. While other countries perform more “improper” activities, or do it in greater volume, no other country puts up such a large cloak to shield itself from onlooking eyes while claiming to be “free” and “moral”

Back to the main topic:
          $11,000 in their 20s? Turning passion into slave labor is a crime.

• While that statement is a poorly misconstrued generalization, I do have to point out that young Natives are assimilating into American culture more and more. While the struggle to maintain their culture and traditions rages on, the younger generation seems to be more accepting of the American lifestyle. It’s only a matter of time before they fall in with the rest of us. Tragic, but inevitable. Besides, American culture isn’t horrible, it’s just a different way of life.

• Yes, the government does a lot of crazy shit. It pisses me off because everyone else seems to think “Oh, American government is corrupt, therefore America itself is a nation of corruption and deceit”. This is the government’s doing, not the American people. We, the citizens, are a normal people. We like when we’re treated nice, and we like doing nice things for other people. But the image that many people have is that we Americans are a hostile nation, who’s only goal is world domination, and we will do anything to reach our ends, be it drug trafficking or weapons trading. Look, all governments have things to hide, and like it or not, the citizens have no say as to what the government chooses to show them or does behind the scenes. Just be glad for the freedoms you are allowed to have. You wouldn’t be so lucky in other countries. Unless you’d rather live in a communist, impoverished country.

• another Anon says:

I live in America, and i love it. I don’t really care about the past neither since Yangth is right. What i don’t like about US is how government lie, how they sell drugs and alcohol to Native American with cheap price so the young native just die off. I hate US for fighting every war for profit and using justice as an excuse. And how the government control the people secretly. How the capitalist use their power to gain control over lower class. But at least, the people sometime are nice. And the land is beautiful.

• Chill man. What’s past is simply that. Past. Whatever feelings you may have about how the forefathers of the nation wrongfully obtained this land is based on things that happened centuries ago. It may seem heartless to think that the lives and peoples then are nothing, but without those events transpiring, America would not even exist. While I do very much agree with you that America’s history was an ugly, bloody past, it is a country who’s greatest selling point is freedom and equality. And did I mention freedom? Freedom of religion, of speech, of the way of life. While some of those freedoms are mildly limited, can you say that any other country is freer than America?

Also, please do YOUR research. America was founded in 1776, the UN was established about the mid 1900’s. Nowhere in this timeline is the UN able to borrow out money to fund the voyage to the New World or to fund the establishment of the earliest colonies. True, the US is in debt, but it is in less debt in comparison to countries such as Japan, Germany, and France. On top of that, most of our government’s debt is owed to….itself. That is, Social Security and other government agencies.

(and raep is simply in reference to an urban slang used on the internet)

• I believe they manage would be rationing their meals. A steady diet on some delicious burgers can take you a long way indeed…

I still ponder at how Otaku get their funds to gather all of those pricey goods plastered with anime characters… even a diet solely on fast food wouldn’t accommodate their high budgets.

• It’s a shame they are paid so poorly. It seems they have to work long hours and have to do a lot of crunch time to make their dead lines. On top of that, not every show the anime industry produces really takes off and gains the popularity of hits like Pok’emon and Gundam (the kinds of shows where, if you were to ask anyone if they heard of it, they’d be like “yeah”). And further stifling the anime industry is the onslaught of internet piracy and unofficial fansubs.

While I enjoy fansubs, I would still prefer to buy the DVD. Unfortunately, not every series released in Japan makes it to other countries, so everyone else has to rely on importing them. If that wasn’t bad enough, not everyone can understand the Japanese language or has a Region-9 or Region-free DVD player, so they turn to fansubs. Having a fansub already, lots of people decide it would be pointless to actually pay for the DVD, even if it were to be localized and released in their area. Facing the loss of potential buyers due to fansubbing, more and more anime companies decide to ignore their international customers. This, in turn, leads to a loss of profit and lower wages for their bottom-line, the animators and production staff.

It’s not as though anime isn’t popular or anything. It has it’s own culture, a cult following, and international fame, as well as being considered an art form. However, it is looked down upon as an industry that utilizes sex as a selling point. And it’s not like it doesn’t deserve such a moniker as well because characters these days are designed to be more and more appealing to their target audience (otaku, mostly consisting of men), and shows becoming more ecchi in nature (flaunting around perverted characters and naughty moments). With this kind of rep, animators are seen as worthless, lazy otaku who’s only skills are drawing moe characters. perhaps it is this impression of them that the higher-ups don’t pay them more for their work.

• Anonymous says:

Even if an anime company made a lot more money i doubt they will go for the salaries of the animators. They will just invest in more projects and the CEO will buy a new car. Companies will always try to pay as low salary as possible no matter how much money they got.

• Domestic releases are a conundrum.

Most German releases (I am German) have dubs that are so horrible they make my ears bleed (to name a popular one… Haruhi). And while you can usually still swap to the Japanese audio track, I still don’t want to pay for that garbage.

I do import as a result, but given the pricetag attached I cannot do that often.

An added punch to the face is that while series get wonderful 1080p releases on Japanese TV, the best you can get over here is usually a DVD. I haven’t yet seen a single blu-ray Anime over here. Makes me go “Waaagh!” so to speak.

• Anonymous says:

I’m an Animation major and this is why I laugh in the faces of my peers who aspire to go to Japan and make Anime. You get paid NOTHING and aside from that Japan is full off racist assholes and you’ll never even get a job to begin with and if you do manage the feat you’ll likely be paid HALF of that meager salary.

Anime is wonderful but I feel for the animators… I know what it takes to create a decent animation and they deserve A LOT better than that. Not everyone can be taught to draw, it really does take some measure of talent.

• It pisses me off that kids these days think that they can just go out and do anything. They have to learn that these things involve WORK! The animation industry is a very demanding field. You have to put in lots of overtime work, it’s repetitive, you don’t get to choose the projects you work on, and you have to meet very strict deadlines. But even before that, you have to be able to DRAW! Go to art school, learn different art styles, and polish your work. Talent can only take you so far.

• unclesnail says:

although its true you have to work hard to be good enough in the industry its supprising how much is based on talent than acedemic i have asked several animators who have been in the business for about 20 years and a lot have never been asked to produce credentials when applying for a job its all been based on their showreelsi my self have had several jobs without them even asking if i went to college

• Oh, I agree completely with you on that topic. The game design industry is very social-network driven. You have to have an amazing portfolio with your best work, and your chances are much better if you get to know some people in the business. Being around, networking, and keeping an up-to-date portfolio are important aspects of this industry because it shows you have a strong interest in what you do. Another reason that networking is very important is because development companies are very team-driven. You have to be able to communicate very strongly with other people, and working with them gets very involved. If you’re not one to go out and say hi to the project lead of a game in development or work on improving or maintaining your own skills outside of work, then you might as well just opt out of this career.

• Anonymous says:

Getting a job in the industry is a) knowing people (go to cons, talk to motherfuckers even if you don’t want to, go to other events, talk to motherfuckers. Why is networking important? Because it gives you a hiring edge. There’s a shitload of artists out there and a company will go with artist X if someone can vouch for him or say they know him instead of artist Y if both are roughly equal) and b) having a portfolio/demo reel. That’s all that matters. You can practically buy your way to a degree given determination so that piece of paper means shit. A resume is there merely as a formality in the event someone wants to know more about you but your reel will be a better example of your abilities and infinitely more interesting.

• Agreed.
        The creative industry in general is very tedious indeed. The deadlines killed many people out there, even the experienced ones. In fact, it’s more ruthless than the other science fields.

The creative industry is for those who are willing to take big risks, accept often failures, and being lowly paid in return for getting to do something they’re passionate about.

Die trying or try dying.

• Anonymous says:

Not to mention learning things like the principles of animation and applying it to actual work. 2D animation is a whole different beast compared to still pieces. Not only do you have to contend with the drawing itself but you have to figure out how you will make something seem like it’s alive during keys and tweens.

• Does this take into account that animation is usually a seasonal job?

My brother works in animation (albeit in Canada) and his paycheques are about the same amount as anyone working $30,000/year job, but since it’s only six months he only gets half that as a yearly salary.

If I got paid $11,000 for a years worth of work, I’d be looking for another industry to work in…

• Kitsune9Tails says:

I like how she’s drawing herself… Go with what you know, I always say!

OT, it’s not surprising to me. Kinda like the US video game industry. Crap wages, inSANE hours, but damn you get to make video games. At least that’s what they say in the paper, until you find out that you have to spend 30 years in the industry to actually get to be a game designer…

• Anonymous says:

People should feel bad for thinking that “game designer” is viable straight out of school. Would you hand the reigns to a unproven unexperienced kid when millions are on the line in both development and profits? Hell no. Learn something useful to the team by going through the grunt stages of life as a modeler, animator, rigger, whatever the fuck. The last thing a development team needs is a kid with ideas thinking way too far beyond what people are able to do and with little idea of how things are actually done.

• Anonymous says:

I work in the industry as a “game designer” although in my particular field it means taking the design of someone else, modify it a bit to suit my own ends while still fulfilling the overall idea, and doing the technical aspect of putting it into the game.

But still I was able to secure the job with just 2 years of college and only a few years doing grunt work in customer service.

• Not to mention that all that hard work could be for naught if you have a lousy release for your game, usually caused by general lack of hype for a game that might not be under a famous series or being overshadowed by another more hyped release…