K-On! Fuels Guitar Boom

k-on-mio-fender.png

Otaku are displaying their usual suggestibility in response to schoolgirls with guitars anime K-On!, and have launched into a guitar buying frenzy.

It transpires that the Amazon.co.jp “people who bought this also bought this” feature is displaying exclusively K-On! music and Blu-ray discs:

guitars-sell-like-hot-cakes.jpg

It appears any number of very ronery guitarists are now practicing, or possibly merely displaying, the Fender-Japan JB62/LH/3TS the nation over, with its $750 price tag no obstacle…

Doubtless the maker is rubbing its hand with glee at the patronage.

You can see the page in question here.

Of course, it may be the case that they are only looking, but not buying, but given what we have already seen this seems improbable.

11:19 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Last time I seriously played bass was when I was 10 years old. Played for 3 years straight, then after that just lost interest. 15 years later, I watched Beck. Just watched Koyuki's steady practice and determination to learn the guitar. I just felt inspired to play again.

Sold my POS Steinberger clone and bought a Squier Vintage modified J-bass(>$300 for a great sounding bass) just to get some practice . A few months later, I bought a Music Man HH Stingray and a Gibson Les Paul Studio. I have a hard time putting either instrument down after I've picked one up. Great fun.

12:30 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

otaku stupidity OVER 9000!!!!

Comment by RawrFear
    13:39 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I expected this to happen. =/ I'm probably not the only one, either.

All I can say is that I hope people are at least buying the correct version (left hand vs right hand) rather than just the left hand because Mio uses it. That way there's at least a little hope of them actually using it.

Btw, guitar > bass. Just to let you know. I mean, speed-picking is pretty hardcore. Chords aren't all that.

(But Mio > Yui.)

Comment by t//B
    11:16 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm.. I've been in the market for a bass guitar for a while now, anyways. Just haven't been able to mass enough money for it.

Already have an SG I barely ever play, however.

Comment by jaz
    10:58 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

nice now i can sell my bass guitar!!

Comment by Keigami
    10:31 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I laughed when I noticed the guitar was tagged with "Keion"

10:48 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There's no way any of them will actually take up guitar. They'll probably play with it for a week and just toss it aside. I can't even imagine a anime nerd taking guitar lessons. So sad that grown people get influenced to buy stuff from cartoons, especially something as expensive as a guitar. Jimi Hendrix must be rolling in his grave.

BTW, otaku means nerd, don't believe me?! Ask anyone fluent in Japanese.

12:02 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder if some guy from Fender approached KyoAni with a proposal to use this model in the show. He deserves a promotion.

11:25 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

nerd, geek, enthusiast, fanatic, obsess ... pick one

12:19 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nonetheless, it's a derogatory term. Just wanted to point out that if one calls themselves an "otaku", it's no different from calling yourself a nerd, felt like pointing it out because there are people who argue that it isn't the equivalent of being called a nerd. I figure they think that otakus aren't considered nerds in Japan or something....(they are)

Comment by Artefact
    12:54 20/04/2009 # ! Transparent

This is actually the sense we use the term in on this site.

Comment by Wizary
    00:56 21/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hello, captain! Sashiburi dana!

14:33 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*sigh* It's not even a right handed guitar.... terrible terrible Amazon....

Comment by KKitchen63
    05:09 23/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Makes me wonder how many Rickenbacker bass guitars got bought up from used-guitar shops after FLCL came out...

The Heritage Cherry Sunburst Les Paul Standard that Yui set up with deserves recognition, too.

Comment by whammybar
    08:26 23/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

it's a lefty bass... I hope they know what they're buying....

08:08 21/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The American one is $1500! The Japanese version is a bargain in comparison. You can get the cheaper Mexican-made one for $650, but it won't have the tortoiseshell pickguard, so you might as well not bother.

Comment by delphinen
    13:28 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I, for one, bought a Casio CA-110 Keyboard ( http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/_inc/picview.cfm?synthid=931 ) because of K-ON. It was cheap overall, and also a very good keyboard for a total beginner like me.
    At first, I thought first buying a bass (yeah, cos of Mio), but since I realised that it would be less fun and difficult playing it, I picked up the keyboard (plus I love Mugi's yurisness).
    So far I can play FFVII, Evangelion, and Elfen Lied main songs, Fur Elise, and the Futurama OP... I really do not see how this cannot be be "healthy", since otherwise, I would be probably playing some eroge RPG and jacking off to it.

08:53 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Heritage Cherry Sunburst Les Paul is about $2300 USD so it's more expensive than the Fender version.

Prefer an acoustic guitar any day!

02:29 08/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The closest thing I could find, in the U.S., to this is this \/.

Fender '60s Jazz Bass (Right handed, unfortunately, couldn't find a left handed model.)

22:33 05/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

marketing win

Comment by Anon
    08:47 28/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fender surely needed some advertising since ibanez own them in so many ways.

Comment by Actar
    19:27 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You know that that is Yomi and not Mio right? That's the Ga-Rei Zero Logo with K-On!

20:21 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bet all those otakus who bought the Fenders don't realise that they do not have amps. Then they'll go: "Where's the sound"?
    Even if they did buy amps, they probably bought an amp for electric guitars.
    Smart.

11:54 22/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

can't wait for the collective sound of guitar amp blowout by a bunch of otakus in Japan plugging in a bass....hopefully, they turn it up to 11...

Comment by metatron
    18:13 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

moe marketing that guitar companies are profiting from it even though they don't use it

Comment by mi
    16:07 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i remember borrowing a guitar
    and it is not easy to learn from the scratch -_- and just from the net

i can see myself from the buyer of those >_<

17:05 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Guitar is difficult to learn from scratch, it's actually really important to have a teacher, or a guide at the beginning, but after that it's best to just jam with other musicians and build your own style.

I play guitar and man, there's nothing like shredding on my les paul, and shifting over to a rhythm on my dano dc-12. I've only had three months formal lessons, everything else I"ve sussed out on my own and by playing in my band.

The point it, while it's fun, while it's a cool thing to do, these idiot otaku won't have anywhere near the obsession to keep going. Or the money. Fuckin' amps man, but lemme tell you, theres nothing better than a marshall stack.

21:33 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Infinitely superior.

Comment by ugly american
    15:53 22/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's just creepy!

07:29 21/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Don't Say Lazy single came out today!

Comment by Wizary
    00:52 21/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Must i change my CRUISER for JBFender? )) But i prefer to buy Yamaha directly from Japan. Amiricans know nothing about how to make proper basses.

22:02 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Amazon sells guitars? I cant imagine them having a huge stock of them, especially that model. More than likely it's only sold a couple of guitars.

00:09 21/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's not being sold by Amazon itself, it's being sold by a third party (chuya-online).

22:20 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

this is sad..... using anime to promote crappy guitars and basses.

ESP GUITARS FTW.

Comment by Knives
    09:55 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

me want one to

Comment by motaku96
    05:28 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This happens to me all the time. Watching an anime makes me want stuff related to the show. Like when I read Hikaru no go, I became obsessed with Go. I wonder if I'll get hooked on Mahjong since I'm watching Saki. Probably not since there's almost no Mahjong in Saki. Mostly fan service, just the way I like it. Anyway, I wouldn't buy a guitar but I have an urge to play guitar hero after watching K-on.

Comment by Prohibitorum
    05:42 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well I became addicted to Mahjong cause of Saki.
    And I can say now i quite know the rules :P

Mahjong is more arusing than the fanservice xd

Comment by ToastCrust
    06:04 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Akagi is better for Mahjong.

It even teaches you how to cheat!

Comment by Oneiros
    11:10 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And how to be gar.

Comment by Kaioshin Sama
    05:56 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There's more Mahjong in Saki compared to fanservice then there is Music in K-On compared to moeblob moments, that's for damn sure. You must be watching different versions of these two shows or something cause from what I saw K-On's biggest problem as a "music anime" is that there's barely any music.

That's what makes this whole guitar boom thing so hilarious. The fact that Otaku have again been successfully bait and switched into buying a product that is only suggestively related to the show in question because said show carries the ever popular moe trend that 2ch will probably never get tired of.

I don't even think it owes to specified classical conditioning though so much as the ingrained tendencies of the Otaku subculture making it effortless for advertisers to suggest the link between guitars and moe by merely presenting a guitar as a premise behind the series without having to show it's merits and letting otaku desires do the rest of the work for them. It's the same premise as putting a model next to a car really. What does this model have to do with the expensive car? Nothing, but people will confuse the link between wanting to boink the model and wanting to buy the car just the same because of the way the human brain is wired and the subconcious knowing what response is desired of them.

15:33 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

part of me scoffs: if I see a woman want to have sex with, and she's wearing a China dress, I'm not gonna go out and buy a China dress...

...and part of me does not scoff, since I've seen plenty of illogical people, and because sex-in-advertising seems to have been working for hundreds of years ...

... or not. There may be some other factor why the advertising works, and putting in sex is simply a tradition. (Coincidence is not causality.)

Comment by Kaioshin Sama
    06:04 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh and I should also mention that Japanese culture is big on group mentalities and doing what is expected of someone and as such even if they come to the conclusion that all of this is set up for them to go out and buy a guitar then they will be far more likely to do so anyway then people of other cultures that place emphasis on the individual and where people are more likely to make the decision that although it is expected that they go out and buy the guitar, that they don't want one just because it appeared in some show they like along.

Comment by Kaioshin Sama
    12:23 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Really....well okay then, that makes sense to me.

Comment by motaku96
    07:25 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't believe I ever said there was music in K-On! I never said it was a music anime. It's a slice of life anime about the light music club. I personally like slice of life anime and wouldn't have it any other way. As for Saki, I was saying that as a joke about Saki's obvious fan service(which I like).

Comment by Shuu
    07:14 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Except that K-On! is based on a 4koma manga which it has been following with almost 100% accuracy until now. I highly doubt that Kakifly had boosting guitar sales in mind when drawing the manga. If you're going to blame someone for something, blame the otaku for mistaking the show's premise.

05:28 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

In my defense, I bought my Fender before watching K-On! ..and it's not a bass << ..*still waiting for it to arrive by delivery van though*

05:12 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyone that plays for these reasons won't ever come up with anything good.
    Though, they won't even pick it up after buying.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    09:58 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Legend of Zelda made me want to play the flute, and I can play around lv4 pieces, runs take me forever to learn, but runs are hard on flutes D:

Comment by b0122
    13:22 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

made me pick up a sword instead

05:16 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bro, I picked guitar after watching beck and right now I'm on quite decent level.

05:18 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's a different sort of incentive. Beck did it well, this moe nonsense is doing it wrong.

05:20 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I must agree. That was a bit different.