Kung Fu Panda “Sequel” Made in China

chinakungfu.jpg

A Chinese film company has released its answer to Dreamworks’ animated feature, “Kung Fu Panda”. “Wong Fei Hong vs. Kung Fu Panda” is a Chinese-produced unofficial sequel (to put it politely).

The direct to video animated feature will obviously not have the production values of the original $130 million film.

The film features Kung Fu Panda and Chinese martial arts folk hero Wong Fei Hung. In the film, the panda is assigned by the Buddha to protect an ancient treasure that could give the bearer the power to conquer the world.

Kung Fu Panda created controversy in China when it was released, with the success of a Chinese-themed story produced by an American company angering Chinese who wondered why they themselves weren’t capable of producing such a film.

Additionally, the release of the film coincided with a devastating earthquake in Sichuan province.

Although Disney is unlikely to have the same success in copyrighting Chinese traditional tales as it has with the European equivalents, there still appear to be certain resemblances which will could render problematic an international release:

kung_fu_panda.jpg

A Dreamworks produced official sequel to the film is also in pre-production.

Via CartoonBrew.

With Wong Fei Hong vs. Kung Fu Panda, the Chinese can be proud that they can rightfully answer Hollywood’s attempt to appropriate their cultural heritage. Meanwhile, the rest of the world will be able to appreciate the impressive scope of Chinese innovation.

Comment by Fadz
    13:31 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Eiii..is that The Malaysian "Original" hologram that I see? Where the heck I didn't know this DVD exist??

lol, this is surely make Dreamworks piss off~

Comment by laughhe
    21:26 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol... When you mention it, it is the Malaysia's "Original" hologram.

03:55 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Malingsia?

Comment by XerosXIII
    14:05 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i think it just sent people off laughing their butt off =P

Comment by iapfah
    19:18 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"A Dreamworks produced official sequel to the film is also in pre-production."

More like four sequels. I'm not kidding, they actually have 2, 3, 4, and 5 planned out. Dreamworks is nuts.

05:03 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Its called "promotional talk" for shareholders, they are only on production on the second one.

Comment by metatron
    Comment by Emc2Trooper
    20:04 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what about Beggar So?(Drunken Master) He should be in it too! He'd pwn both the bear and the pugilist with his crunked-out style!

Comment by basilio
    20:03 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll say Wong Fei Hong will win. Freaking sword vs. a bamboo stick? Though he's a panda, sure, but pandas eat bamboo, right? That mean's he'll eat his stick and he'll be defenseless.

And Wong Fei Hong has a freaking queue. Yah.

Comment by Yggr
    16:06 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>...angered many Chinese who wondered why they themselves weren’t capable of producing such a film.

But this movie *proves* that they are capable. Well they just need an example to copy from.

Comment by Aaron
    21:40 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

C'mon China. You have 3 billion people in your country and NONE of them have a single creative thought?!

Comment by XSportSeeker
    07:00 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's sad... but truth is, in the specific case of Pixar animation, China isn't the only one doing blatant rip-offs....

19:23 22/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I smell a buddy cop movie.

11:56 22/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wtf...

Wong Fei Hung vs Panda?! How in the heck does that even make sense? I watched all the "Once Upon a time in China" kung fu movies and this news just makes me cringe.

Comment by TerrawindX2
    22:08 13/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have seen another China Bootleg called Final Fantasy: AeroTroopers...

And they photoshopped Yuna's head onto an aerotrooper body. And the whole movie was just Aerotroopers.

Pretty much fucked up. I wish I took a picture, but it was at a time when we had no camera phones...

Comment by Kinny Riddle
    00:53 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What controversy? I only heard a small snippet of three narrow-mindless idiots associating Kung Fu Panda being "insulting" to Chinese, but that's about it. Almost all my Chinese friends enjoyed it that movie a lot.

And in terms of animated movies ever showed in Hong Kong cinemas in 2008, it was up there with WALL-E and Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea. I don't see what all the fuzz is about.

I'm afraid the ignorant actions by an idiotic but very insignificant minority has been blown WAY out of proportion here.

Comment by Void
    01:36 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know which ones are the worsed, Korean rip-off's or Chinese copy cats...

Comment by Reaver
    14:37 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"angered many Chinese who wondered why they themselves weren’t capable of producing such a film."

I lol'd

14:22 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd hit it even though it's a felony.

Comment by Code43
    13:13 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

will counter bootleg that

Comment by Chris
    14:50 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is it still a bootlag copy if it's produced in China, or will I have to get it from some guy in America?

Serious inquiry is serious.

Comment by HELL
    12:51 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

China, the root of all evils.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    15:03 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I believe you mean UNICEF... damn lolicon haters >_>

12:58 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yes sir, it MUST be because this article CLEARLY shows just how EVIL china is and it's obvious the root to all the worlds problems. Yep, nothing wrong about that at all.

Faggot.

Comment by Geerie
    13:14 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol trolled how fail can you get. you were trolled by a guy who a lame excuse for location in the name field.

Comment by I fucked you’re waifu
    13:16 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL I TROLL U FAGGOT

Comment by doeman
    13:24 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

*starts breakdancing*

13:07 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hush up leftist weaboo.

13:14 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Shouldn't you be in school kid?

Comment by Feylin
    13:36 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh calm down bud, I'm chinese and I think that this is ridiculously stupid and shameful. I'd say that China is the root of a lot of retarded shit, or "evil" as well. I feel like a lot Chinese people have zero creativity judging by their lack of ability to make new stuff LOL

Comment by Emcivy
    15:26 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

your right, specially in the last point.

09:31 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm Chinese too faggot. Don't judge an entire country and ethnicity based on the actions of a minority. Yes, a fucking minority. For a country with a population of 1.3 billion people there's bound to be assholes who go and fuck shit up. I'm not proud of them, I don't think China is "LOL WONDERFUL" and perfect. What I DO think however is that faggots like you who jump the boat based on what they read from a few articles should go fucking die.

I'll say it right now, China's not great, it has a LOT of problems. But calling it the root of all evil is fucking stupid, and you are fucking stupid for believing it.

Comment by alex1_phang3
    23:39 12/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I do heard some new there were people who practice cannibalism there. . .

BUT anyways, its not correct to judge an entire country based on a small group of people.

Comment by motaku96
    13:55 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm chinese too and while they do break a lot of copyright laws, they do make original things every once in awhile.

Oh and China is not the root of evil/problems/retarded shit. It's people in general. You'll find it everywhere, doesn't matter what race or location.

12:50 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It didn't anger anyone, it was an introspective look at what china can do to improve their stories. It was decided that there was too much government restriction on what kinds of character leads weaknesses china is able to display, for instance the fact that Po is so unsure of himself and a klutz in the beginning of KFP wouldn't have been allowed in modern chinese cinema.

Comment by Artefact

This is interesting. Any further details or a source?

02:28 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Heres some,

And just to clarify, that one 'protestor' is a man that produces and distributes 'panda' themed mechandise.

his protestations are likely done with promotion in mind and it worked!

Comment by KonW
    13:45 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

artefact,
    tho i undertand very well your enthusiastic eager to become a hater and racist
    i do wish you could fail less by doing some google(which really won't be very hard for even a racist) before trolling....

14:37 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why are you ragging on Artefact?

Seems to me the one who isn't paying attention is you, Jin is the one who put this article up.

15:05 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I believe most users think Artefact produces everything shown on the site. From the articles, to the people in the articles, they are all Artefact.

23:35 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, aren't they?

01:21 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>From the articles, to the people in the articles, they are all Artefact.

Po = Artefact?

Comment by Artefact

I did wonder what he meant there...

Comment by t//B
    14:04 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

... I don't see how this article or any article before it was in any way "racist".

Comment by Artefact

You may wish to brush up on your reading comprehension.

Comment by KonW
    14:18 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

hmmm, maybe sometimes it also can be called sarcasm

Comment by jinstevens
    13:17 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There was introspection but there was also anger. I stand by the article.

16:13 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd like to see a reputable source backing up that claim. I was in Beijing around the time the movie was released and there was no controversy at all. The only complaints I read about were PETA-like objections that pandas are endangered species that shouldn't be portrayed that way, especially since many died during the earthquake. Naturally, no one gives a shit about these arguments, just like in America, or where ever you assclowns reside.

TL;DR VERSION: Quit making shit up.

Comment by Artefact
    19:38 10/03/2009 # ! Incandescent

You can cease your obnoxious crowing as I have reworked the offending sentence. I still want to hear about the supposed problems with the original film...

19:23 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Jin, go ahead and share these articles that illustrate this "considerable controversy in China" you mentioned.

Oh wait, these articles don't exist because there was no huge controversy. Aha!

As the other Anon already pointed out, that Wall Street Journal doesn't support your statement at all, as that guy Zhao and his three protesting friends are hardly representative of "considerable controversy in China."

I can see why you didn't support your statement in the article with any sources at all. Because you are just making shit up.

You and Artefact are doing yourselves a disfavor by doctoring and exaggerating stories about cultures that you supposedly care about.

18:12 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Excerpted from the WSJ article you linked to:

"...blog has photos of a recent three-man protest outside the offices..."

A whopping THREE PEOPLE protested in Beijing!!
    OMG--THREE-MAN PROTEST FTW!!!

All the "outrage" amounts to one man's blog (Zhao Bandi), two other guys & a handful of comments on that article page, some of which aren't even outraged at all.

I've also googled the subject & the only "considerable controversy" (to quote you)all leads back to the same source--Zhao Bandi.

Comment by jinstevens
    16:37 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

How about the Wall Street Journal [http://blogs.wsj.com/chinajournal/2008/06/17/is-‘kung-fu-panda’-ready-for-the-china-challenge/?mod=googlenews_wsj]? Is that reputable enough?

It's one article among many that I found expressing that your view of the Chinese reaction to the film isn't universally muted as you claim. I'd share those too but you lost me at assclown.

TL;DR VERSION: Stop acting like a putz.

00:47 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well from the newspapers in the UK, I think maybe the Daily Mail or the Sun, the film was seen to have been offensive.

For one instance is to use a Panda to represent China, an endangered animal for martial arts, or some rubbish like that.

The other instance was that the panda's eyes were green, in Chinese the colour green is considered evil, so really the Chinese panda is evil, though other countries wouldn't get that point.

If anything, it was a governemnt official who was outraged by it...