Japanese Women Scorn Men as Too Poor

wedding-dress-yin

A recent survey confirms the already well understood importance of wealthy spouses to Japanese women, suggesting that perhaps falling marriage and birth rates may have some connection to the possibly unrealistic expectations of such women with respect to income:

Over 90% overall (of both genders) desired marriage to various degrees. A similar result was obtained asking about whether children were desired.

60% of men expressed no preference over their partner’s income.

Male income desired by women (per annum salaries in yen):

Below 3,000,000: 0.9%
3-4,000,000: 9.8%
4-5,000,000: 16.1%
Over 5,000,000, below 10,000,000: 43.7%
Over 10,000,000: 9.8%

Average “salaryman” salaries versus age (in millions of yen):

Male: 20~24: 2.7 25~29: 3.79 30~34: 4.61
Female: 20~24: 2.31 25~29: 2.94 30~34: 2.99

The overall average for such workers of all ages is 4.37 million.

Marriage statistics suggest most women want a partner within 5 years of their own age. The actual age difference between partners has declined to 1.7 years in 2005, down from 2.9 in 1987.

These are based on official statistics and private surveys.

This can be interpreted as showing that women want a partner of the same generation, but the overwhelming majority also want a partner with an income significantly above average, and probably significantly more than their own.

A more controversial interpretation we see is that these women have little appreciation of their own social position (or at least are wildly ambitious), as the number of men earning at the levels being sought is much lower than the demand, suggesting the income expectations of most are completely unrealistic.

Although there is obviously a contingent who will settle for something more realistic, looking at the overall marriage and birth rate statistics suggests such optimistic expectations may be a factor.

Of course, these are just some of the interpretations possible – placing blame on Japanese women is not the intent, and nor is the evidence used here conclusive in any way.

Comment by SilverTide
    19:36 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Quote: 60% of men expressed no preference over their partner’s income.

Women are more sexually attracted to men who make more money than themselves.

A woman's income has no relation to how sexually attracted a man is to a woman.

If I were to marry, I'd want my wife to make less than me so she'd continue to be attracted to me. It's just plain biology.

If a woman is tall, she'll want a man who's taller than her. If a woman makes $50,000 a year, she'll want a man who makes $70,000 a year. If she's a nurse, she'll want a man with more status such as a doctor.

Those 60% of men need to take another glance at the evolution textbook.

08:22 26/01/2014 # ! Neutral (0)

Supposing your premise might be true, that women desire men with higher positions than themselves, I doubt much of this is actually genetic. Behaviors such as these are almost always cultural, in this case, the expectation that men are to have better jobs is most likely instilled with the help of media and the likes early on. If this was the case in my country, rather than adapting to this ingrained demand, I'd focus on finding a partner that likes me for who I am, simultaneously setting a precedent for what truly matters.

Maybe I just a deviant when it comes to what attracts me, but I'd be a huge turn-off if it were in the back of my mind that the girl I am about to sleep with only appreciates me for my income. I'm pretty sure studying evolution textbooks won't help anyone improve their chances of getting a healthy relationship going. Being confident and able to be yourself is far more important.

03:10 03/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

86,25671% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Comment by MaidNiac
    17:35 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Bride Yin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gold digging RL Women

07:15 03/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

forever alone

Comment by ManaYagami
    08:33 12/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I approve of this post.

06:28 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i dont care as long as i stick with wonderful 2D girl.

Comment by Ichigo69
    09:24 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This anonymous is wise beyond his years ^_^

Comment by K
    11:09 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

but dunno if it's just from the women's side only

for me it's "whoa with this money how can I support my family later if I were to get married (eventhough some people who earn less can get by already), If I haven't earned *** a month, I wouldn't think of getting married"

well, life's tough. whatever the reason no one wants their family to have nothing to eat, place to stay, and clothes to wear. but expectations are just expectations, some still get married even if they just barely can afford themself.

13:19 03/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

People in developed countries have been consumed with avarice to the point of letting charletans take charge of 60%+ of high positions. and then you need more and more money for things, as the economy gets worse....
    Greed and impatience are slow killers, but they are the deadliest things on this planet right now.

19:13 04/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ALL Japanese women just wants a good looking guy who can come \. But then it could also be said about ALL women in general.

15:53 29/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Genious is 99% insperation. 1% persperation.

02:46 22/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i love that Yin wedding dress picture, its so adorable xD

Comment by AmericanGrunt
    19:56 02/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hehe, whatever. Money means nothing when economies and governments collapse.

Comment by Jack Russel
    06:36 10/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Women have these things called "Expectations". "They're bad for us because we can never live up to them." ~Mung Dall

17:00 18/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A lower birth rate is a GOOD thang. We have a population bomb going off, and Japan especially has limited space. Did you there is a line of oil tankers circling from the Persian Gulf to Japan that goes 24 hours a day and you can see the smoke from the one ahead and been you. This ain't sustainable.

Japan has a whole lot of people to lose before they disappear. And they lead the world in robots! The the bots works and the people play!

Comment by Uncommon0taku
    13:49 09/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

As an Uncommon Otaku, I've noticed one bit of irony about why Japanese women scorn Otaku in general.

Its just that Japanese Women are also Otaku - but in total denial that they themselves are Otaku.

What do I mean?
    I'm being serious here. Normal career japanese women are also otaku.

They are Finance Otaku, Travel Otaku, Career Otaku, and the most obvious of all "Fashion Otaku"!!!
    Among others, you just have to put yourselves in their shoes and look at things from their perspective, then look at them from an objective perspective of an Anthropological Otaku's Social Sciences Otaku Perspective. Essentially a trick mirror.

Until such time as Japanese Women can come to terms with their own Otakuness, the argument of why Japanese Women disdain Otaku's is that Japanese women are also hypocrites.

Fashion Otaku's need to have a wealthy man to support their Fashion Otaku-ness. To this I say - DAMN GIRL - WHEN YOU GONNA GROW UP!!!

Which is why this otaku (myself) is only interested in girls his own age. Who are mature, intelligent and sensible,...... and of course cute too.

cheers all!!!

mahalo!

04:43 14/07/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

In Japan, women are fucking bitches

That's what i'm thinking now

Comment by cwDeici
    02:02 26/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Suddenly I feel much less sad (and better) about their vanishing nation.

02:03 29/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Women are money grubbing whores???

Who knew?

21:01 05/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Pimpin' aint easy.

Comment by Nav-sama
    13:09 26/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Been there done that, its 100% true. they are whoa. invested soo much time,effort and money it turn out to be a complete waste in resource. i'd say, invest in your self (my advice) i'd blame most of it to the society that give them too much freedom that makes them who they are now. would be nice if its 17th century all over again.

Comment by Annonymous
    23:00 07/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

no wonder there's so many divorces

01:53 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey morons, 5 million yen is around $50,000 dollars so that is not really that much.

Comment by Cerenado
    16:25 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So, in short, the old "Money Can't buy Happinnes"-notion is not well know by the female populace there heh?
    The men there must have it quite rough huh? :S

Comment by Happy Gaijin
    16:34 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"You make your choices and you live with 'em."

- Bill Murray (Groundhog Day)

I'm late 30's, American, making 20,000,000 yen a year. Working for a strong company - in this tough economy. Nice home. Healthy but not Brad Pitt. Those "credentials" get a LOT of attention. So it's good to plan to achieve them. The girls are counting on you.

It's just the way the world is.

Young beautiful girls get lots of attention. Men falling all over them. But, as the years pass, not so much.

Guys can flip that situation around. Young, you have less money and older you have more.

Choose the right career. Being Otaku is OK. Being a rich Otaku is better.

I was a military jet pilot until I was in my late 20's. Then a business executive.

Pilot wings make you sexy, even if the military doesn't pay much.

Executive pay makes you sexy, even if you're older.

Know the system and roll with it. Both men and women want someone they respect. And they just happen to use different criteria.

Treat women with respect and enjoy the time you share. Everyone wins.

Comment by Mia
    18:59 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well said, However, I think that you left something out. Enjoy your youth and make sure you don't regret it when you become old.

Comment by alex1_phang3
    00:10 04/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Very true, from first hand experience I can tell you that I failed in my youth.

Comment by Happy Gaijin
    03:56 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Very true.

16:13 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why is Sanya's eyes red? Heresy!

16:17 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

its not sanya, its Yin from Darker than Black

16:43 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

could have sworn the picture was captioned 'wedding dress Sanya' earlier. Oh well.

Comment by Artefact
    Comment by Haseo
    15:59 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

5,000,000 yen a year?Whoa shocking...

Comment by N.R.
    18:59 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I get 50,000 yen a month and it's barely enough for food for me, and won't suffice for another person. So I understand the women perfectly, especially if they intend to become housewives after marriage. Of course if they really love their husband they will be willing to do a NKDI (no kids, double income).

Comment by Marine-RX179
    18:36 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I just want to point out that making 5,000,000 yen 'worth of salary' in other countries is different from making 5,000,000 yen in Japan...

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    14:05 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Which makes them that much worse than other countries if I am to believe the cost of living is really that much lower there than in all? the rest of the developed world.

Comment by Zacharov
    18:16 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

After looking at the statistic, I laughed out a little. That kind of expectation? Do they expect to go marry aged 50-60+ CEOs or something?

"Keep dreaming," is what comes in my mind. This statistic helps me further understand why Japan has such a low birth rate.

Comment by Furikake
    17:22 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If a student like me was able to make 30k CAD in 5 months (although with lots of OT), I don't see how full time workers can't...Poor Japanese workers.

Comment by Ohkikaze
    17:45 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

meh women are almost all the same... expensive and not worth the bother in my opinion...

Comment by Ichigo69
    07:09 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and paired w/ all the extra dorama you get with 'em...

This is why I've sworn off 3D women. They're just not worth it anymore ^__^

Comment by alex1_phang3
    00:11 04/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Unless we have something like Chii, thats a different story :D

Comment by Phuong
    15:47 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Now, the simple solution would be to marry an engineer. Pretty much guaranteed those guys are rich but lonely. It's a scenario where everyone wins.

15:58 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That is if you believe they're so lonely and desperate that they'll grab anything that moves.
    Their standards can be high, and whatever kind of girl it is must be very self-confident to think like that.

Comment by lazycat123
    17:07 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sadly my friend, in this economic young engineer be very lucky to have a job. Btw, I'm an engineer and I'm don't think I'm rich or lonely(could be much better with a girlfriend though ><).

13:30 03/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

easier solution; I'm an organic chemist, and I am going to make some miracle compound that will make women go nuts! Axe did it, I can too!

Comment by Marine-RX179
    14:21 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They want a husband who is around their own age, AND make lots of money? That ain't gonna happen. Average male below age 30 ain't gonna make over 5,000,000yen, and if there's males at the age of 30+ that make that much money, would they actually marry women that are already pass their 'best before' time (30)? The chances are they would go for young wives instead of someone as old as themselves...

Really, the equation is not working out...

Comment by Artefact

Considering the low starting salaries for Japanese, it seems marrying before 30 is practically out of the question for men.

00:09 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So, you have to earn that much to get some pussy.. Then you work your ass off and usually never home due to work, what will stop her from fucking younger guys while your slaving away for her. Fuck that, rather stick to being a happy Otaku.. FTW

22:13 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I love how figures actually CAN make profit xD

Comment by alex1_phang3
    23:53 03/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This might be a rise of a new business, ero figurines for females?

18:41 04/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you forgot #6. they don't bitch.
    that's why I have figures and dakimakuras.

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    13:46 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That, plus they:

1. Don't age
    2. Are faithful
    3. Very low continuing maintenance cost
    4. ???
    5. profit

00:14 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with you there bro. I earn lot more than that, however the problem lies with a faithful wife.

00:17 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess you guys haven't heard of a leash. ;)

Comment by albert_2mb
    02:20 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, now I somehow understand why people spend so much money on figurines... It's because they're much cheaper than a woman!