Maniac Otaku Buys 39 Copies of Idol Master SP

idol-master-sp-psp-otaku-shopping-1.jpg

Desperate for every last item of Idolmaster merchandise, one otaku bought no less than 39 copies of the new PSP Idolmaster title(s), Idolmaster SP, with most of his haul being in the form of telephone cards limited to specific outlets.

The maniac in question visited 13 different shops, buying some three copies at each (as the game is cunningly segmented into three), along with three additional copies for actual use. Along with the precious telephone cards, he obtained a variety of other trinkets, all visible above.

From his comments, he has no intention of opening any but the three he bought to play…

In total, he appears to have spent some  ¥200,000. The three titles are readily available now for some ¥5,000 each.

idol-master-sp-psp-otaku-shopping.jpg

Assuming the franchise captivates them, otaku would appear to be some of the easiest consumers to market to yet known…

Comment by SnooSnoo
    11:38 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

When I read the Headlines, I thought he bought 39 IdolMaster Ita-PSPs lawl

11:56 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Successful

Scalper

is Successful???

I don't know. We'll have to watch YahooJapan & Ebay for a while.

14:01 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe he bought copies for his friends (extra expensive gifts) or is planning to resell. There's nothing in either site that says the guy is keeping them for sure.

Comment by Ace
    07:08 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wonder whether he would get 3939 copies for Project Diva when it's released.

17:53 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

All these extras are limited editions and he could re-sell them for alot of money. Maybe its his intention to buy all these copies so he can actually make profit, selling everything but the 3 copies of his own. Lets think that there are other intentions, he buys 39 copies doesnt mean he'll just put them in a closet and extra item just for collection. Think outside of the box people.

Comment by Mirosuke
    12:10 25/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

WTFF.. 2k $... in all the same lol

13:12 16/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Its amazing how much money them otakus have >.>

08:18 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

yeah i wish i had that much money to waste...

11:23 20/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wow an intellectual discussion in sankaku?!
    i thought this was all about pronz~ oh well!
    you sirs are the best trolls evah!

21:09 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh well, I'm happy with my copy of Wandering Star and the bonuses HMV bundled with it (alternate cover slip for each girl + trading card thing).

Now if only I had another couple of years of Japanese under my belt to understand 100% of what I'm reading instead of just the jist, and I'd be right...

Comment by -rh-
    02:27 24/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It would be really funny if his house was burnt to ashes along with his games.
    I don't hate nor envy him, and he can do what he wants with his money, but irony + suffering is always superior to happiness.

Comment by Pandemonia
    06:01 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm going to Japan soon and taking a LOT of money (Some £800... not sure of the current exchange rate... but it's still a lot) with me. What I WANT to do is spend it ALL in Akihabara or in COMIKET and bum off my dad for food and shit.

Shame there's a limit to what can be brought back on an airplane.

Otherwise I'd be sure to take a few images for you guys to gawk at. *sigh*

Comment by Pandemonia
    11:21 24/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ok, really now... my avatar should be visable by now ¬¬;

Comment by Pandemonia
    11:22 24/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

aaaaah nvm

Comment by Epsilon_013
    03:26 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

He should buy another one, so he'll have 40

Comment by Brad
    04:50 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, why not just round it up and get 40?

04:56 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Because there are 3 different versions of the game and he got each version 11 times, read the article.

Comment by mi
    11:08 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

haha
    you're right!

Comment by Jarmel
    09:57 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Your math fails, its 13 different times.

13 * 3 = 39.

Comment by Xavi
    04:00 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

One question. WHY?

Comment by Kenta4283
    04:01 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry but just my opinion is its just a waste of money. So no respect comin from here.

Comment by Umakai
    02:31 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

he deserves some kind of respect!?!

Comment by Jarmel

No he deserves to be robbed and the money given to the less fortunate.

Comment by Yangth
    03:42 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Respect the man for his passion!

Comment by Jarmel
    10:05 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well to be fair, some people had no clue what was going on. Alot of the recent crash had to do with insider decisions and bad math on the part of some famous economists, *looking at Alan Greenspan*. Some of the higher ups did and do deserve to lose their jobs but alot of normal people got screwed. This is partly why government regulation is necessary.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Very true though.

Comment by Blacksmith
    10:00 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

A fool and his money are soon parted. That goes for buying the same videogame 39 times at 5k yen a pop, or for pissing your cash into "greedy corporations" that somehow thought themselves immune to the laws of supply and demand.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Comment by metatron
    08:50 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's his money...so what's the purpose of telling him what to spend?

Comment by Jarmel
    09:53 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You'll have to excuse me for typing my salary, well above 6 figures, on an internet board. This is a typical Republican response when people even bring up the idea of taxes, your money doesn't just belong to you but that is a long argument. Oh by the way, both the US and Japan are meritocracies. Not all the people who are wealthy deserve it, hell look at Paris Hilton, and not all the poor either, look at the peoplle in the US broke due to the greed of some of the larger corporations. Just assuming that someone is wealthier than another individual indicates a higher intellect is incorrect.
    The man here is not showing intellect but rather a exorbitant waste of money, where he got the money who knows. I wouldn't say that he has to spend his money a certain way however none the less paying w/e amount for the SAME THING over 10 times, especially when it is in mint condition, is just stupid. As a human being people have a responsible to each other, hence taxes and forced community service in certain law cases. I wouldn't say he has to give his money or something to charities but for god's sake don't use it on the same thing over 30 times when you won't even use it. Oh and before you say that this would be socialism, you're wrong. Capitalism in its' purest form doesn't work and neither does socialism, hence why the US and Japan have markets that are somewhat controlled by the government.
    The multi-billionaires are just as stupid with buying redundant items, however some of them donate to charities and the like, so not all of them are like that. There is a difference between collecting two of the same item, one to use and one to keep, but collecting 39 IS a waste of money. This is partly why people have such a low opinion of otaku, well that and the socializing thing.

Comment by Tiara
    17:10 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

First of all Narcissist you don't know what you're talking about. The simple fact is that the vast majority of hardcore otaku in japan are actually comparitively low income. They might not make bad money, but they are by no means rich. Most of their money goes to their hobby, and they live in one room flats. The reality is closer to what you see in Genshiken or the early strips of Megatokyo (anybody remember Tsubasa's apartment?) than it is to even something like Konata's house in Lucky Star, much less anything more. They eat a lot of instant ramen. I know that a person's home is not NECESSARILY indicative of their income, but I think you understand the point. That guy doesn't likely have all that much money, and he almost CERTAINLY doesn't pull down the big bucks because of his big brain.

As for YOU Jarmel, you are technically right. Just because someone has money doesn't mean they deserve it. However, I've already established that he probably doesn't have all THAT much. In addition, it's pretty safe to assume that he earns his money. The fact is that statistically speaking most people work for a living. Also it is not fair to assume that he doesn't deserve his money. His SECOND favourite hobby (after Idolm@ster) could be saving puppies, you don't know. Is that likely? Not really. But you can't condemn a man on an assumption. Innocent until proven guilty. So assuming that he earns his money (which is both fair and logical) he can do whatever he wants with it. It's his. He earned it.

Furthermore there is the exact nature of the purchase. You make it sound like he just went out and bought 39 copies of one game and keeps them locked in a box buried under his basement or something. Did you even read the article? You know each game comes with a card and other goodies, right? Consider this: the man was not buying the GAMES. He was buying the collectable cards for ¥5,000, and each one came with a free game. Sure those are expensive cards, but he thinks it's worth it and it's his goddamn money.

Comment by NotAnonymous
    08:59 28/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Does he have the right to spend the money: yes. Is he an idiot: yes.

Comment by HechEff
    03:28 24/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Whatever the case, the guy has his own passions and I refuse to question it. Assuming that it is his own money, I see no reason why he should be told how to use it.

Comment by master anon
    16:43 25/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

at least save some money for future merchandise...

Comment by Jarmel
    23:51 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

@Tiara

I wasn't assuming that he was low income or somehow had not earned his money, who knows he could be a software programmer or the like. On the otherhand, I'm not assuming as Narcissit was, that the man had sweated blood, sweat, and tears to get where he was. I have no clue as to the financial status of the poster. I was really rebutting Narcissit's incorrect assumptions moreso than making my own.

That's part of my problem with this, the telephone cards that come with the game can easily be separated from the game and the game be sold or given away or the like. It's not like limited edition figurines where the thing that makes them unique is attached directly to them and you can't separate it. You could say that we don't know if he is going to sell them or not, and you would have a valid point. I'm also assuming that there was 12 different version of the telephone cards and that there was no other way he could have gotten the cards, like yahoo japan or contacting the idol master publishers to directly buy the cards. This seems more as a way of bragging how much he spent rather just obtaining the cards.

I'm obviously not going to hunt down this man and rob him. As you mention it is his money, I was just stating that is a waste of 36 different games to do nothing with them.

Comment by Narcissist
    04:16 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ah yes, what we have here is a very common example of lesser worker class people crying when upper class people, who has most likely made their fortune by actually USING THEIR INTELLECT and getting a good education leading to a well-payed job, shows of their material possesions.
    Even if it is his parents paying it does not have anything to do with it, since his parents worked hard for the money instead and then choose to give it to their son/daughter.
    And no, do not relate to third world people.

Jealousy - the most common trait for disgusting left-wingers.

Comment by Spoony Bard
    05:20 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Still, that $15 is worth every penny.

Comment by Heero Yuy
    05:16 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree wholeheartedly. It's his money, he can do with it what he wants.

And yes, we idolm@ster fans are suckers.
    (it costs $15 of MS points to buy ONE new song for Live For You on the marketplace)

Comment by Spoony Bard
    05:11 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well said, Narcissist. People who have the money worked hard for it, thus they have the right to spend it as they see fit. After all, the money is their property. What gives you the right to tell others how to use their property, Jarmel?

Comment by Jarmel

There'sa difference between passion and just blowing alot of money

Comment by trygle12
    06:52 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Trust me, there are worse excesses.

This isn't some multi-billionaire guy either. It's just some guy who holds his Idolm@ster at a higher point in his priority list than most people.

No doubt he's sacrificing something to maintain this lifestyle.

Yeah, the less fortunate are down on their luck, but they only deserve anything when they themselves put forth an effort to better there own lifestyle.

Just giving them something for nothing won't solve the problem, and just taking away from this person's enjoyment would just be creating another fiasco.

tl;dr

Think about it more thoroughly.

06:59 31/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

@trygle12
    In short:
    You can give a man a fish and feed him for the day or you can teach a man to fish and feed him for life *assuming he bothers to fish for food*.
    I find it funny though. The poor get checks from the government and they spend it on material objects instead and still live a shitty life...

Comment by Muzaffar
    02:39 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn, I wanted to get that game! He should give some of them to me! Me! ME!!!!! ಠ_ಠ

Comment by …

What the fuck is this site coming to? All of you need to look at yourselves. What's there to argue about? Some 30 year old virgin spent a bunch of his parent's money on videogames. Big whoop.

09:16 28/01/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

You come to an Otaku oriented site to rant about Otaku content. Its like going to the church and rant about the bible.

Comment by Kyo
    02:52 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hmm...should I 'sieg heil' or facepalm this guy?

03:10 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Forgive me curiosity but in how is your post related to this topic? I fail to see the connection there.

On a sidenote is your statement also a criminal offense in the country i live in so, you better live somewhere else in the world.

06:06 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wtf saying sieg heil doesn't make you criminal theres nothing wrong with it. heil hitler on the other hand....

14:25 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That just means there haven't been enough people shouting that. They can't throw everybody into prison without starting to look ridiculous.

Comment by Jarmel
    15:04 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Tell that to the US government in regards to drugs.

06:53 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Depends on where you live. Try shouting sieg heil in Germany or Austria and you will wonder how fast you get to know the local police.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    07:54 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Already done that, I got laughed at D:

03:39 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As a sidenote, your statement about criminal offenses is actually a criminal offense where I live.

This deeply offends me.

Comment by Yangth
    03:41 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Avert your eyes O_O

Comment by antimateria
    03:47 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh germans, how many anime you've already been offended by.

18:08 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If I were german I'd be proud of it. I've seen a fanart about Finland civil war on pixiv (I fuck yeah'd like never before) but if you don't count Strike Witches or Hetalia, that's about it.

Comment by Toreno
    05:18 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

not*

Comment by Shuu
    05:45 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't really say that I'm offended by the shatloads of Nazi-moe Japan throws at us.

05:37 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually Germany is a very liberal country when it's about Hentai/Ecci stuff. Heck, it's even allowed to show females naked in prime time television as opposed to the US, where a nipple on TV is considered a crime (Janet Jackson, lol).

But when it's about cherishing Hitler and his ways, then you can get sentenced for none less than 5 years in prison.

Sorry for OT, but some ignorants just have to be taught about this.

Comment by Toreno
    05:16 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

none... we're no koreans

03:11 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

sorry, me = my.

wtb edit funtion ^^

Comment by Spoony Bard
    05:13 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lol, Germany.

Comment by Toreno
    05:19 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You meant "lol, Japan" I suppose. :D

Comment by Firo
    03:07 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ummm, I think "siegpalm" suits this case.