New Negima 3rd TV Series Likely Due

negima_asuna_kagurazaka

Rumors of third Negima! series are currently spreading online, fueled by comments made by Starchild and series creator Ken Akamatsu (Love Hina) himself.

The main catalyst for this is Akamatsu’s blog declaring that some sort of new media project will be announced at an upcoming Negima event next month.

The first hint of a new series comes from comments made from a Starchild representative in the as of now unreleased Dengeki G’s March 2009 issue. Supposedly, the representative mentions “two new releases based on manga original works sometime around autumn, (including) a moe production on a popular series.”

Fans identified Negima as being the most likely candidate from Starchild’s past works, as it is a popular manga-based series that could easily warrant a new sequel. Following news of the leaked comment, an entry in Akamatsu’s online journal on January 27th lent support to the idea of a new series:

The day before yesterday I wrote “I really want to gauge the feelings of the 2000 people that are going to be at the upcoming event”, but that actually wasn’t concerning the development of the Negima manga (^^;)

The matter that I actually wanted to discuss at the event are the details of a new media-mix (multimedia project). The reason why is that because it’ll be an opportunity to see fellow countrymen (manga readers) and to experience first-hand their reactions and opinions. There will be printouts to help jump-start the discussion handed out at the event (or so I hope).

The event in question is a Negima event set for February 11th to commemorate the end of the Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba OVA series, fully named “We’re going to show everything!? Negi Full-Crew Assembly Party”. Details on the event are available at the Shiroki Tsubasa official website.

Since the event is focused on the Shaft produced OVA series and is advertised on that series’ official website and none of the other various Negima franchise websites, it is not much of a leap to assume that Shaft would be involved in the new series if one is actually made.

Whether this possible new series could be an TV series or not is another matter for speculation, but most online discussion points toward a TV series for some nebulous reason…

The details are far from concrete, especially as the Starchild representative’s comments are basically unverifiable, but the hints from Akamatsu’s journal are indeed compelling.

It seems likely that expectant fans will only have to wait a small while until the Negima event takes place in order to have a definite answer.

Comment by TerrawindX2
    13:28 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You know, Negima is the kind of series where Filler Episodes are definitely welcomed. It has a sort of charm that Naruto, DBZ and OnePiece don't have.

I wouldn't mind if there are filler episodes, if it would help extend the series's length.

I do want the series to be faithful to the manga, and not turn out to be a cash cow.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    16:32 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I want Shinbou, Akiyuki to direct it lolz

Comment by Raso
    23:42 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the animation of the first 2 series were pretty good but they just really need to follow the manga instead of going off on its own that was the biggest turn off on both of the series imo.

wonder what saga they are going to do.. the festival or the current magic world.

Comment by Kairu
    13:06 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've been wondering when we'd get confirmation on another series.

I'm definitely for a Naruto style series, the manga screams long-running anime project so lets hope for one. I'm a fan of both companies' versions; Xebec did a good job folling the manga, albeit only covering the first 6 books, but left out most of Negima's main characters. Yeah, Shaft totally did their own thing story-wise but I feel they did a better job in the character department, not to mention the fact that they actually had Setsuna involved from the start.

All in all, I'm psyched no matter what the result... presuming that result is a new series.

Comment by FuktLogik
    10:22 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wooo, Shaft produced=win,. And yeah, I know the retelling sucked, but a faithful Negima anime from Shaft would be great.

Comment by Tim
    10:59 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought the first season was alright in its own merit for awhile, even though it wasn't canon to the manga. The second season I just don't remember any of it. Maybe the third time's the charm.

Comment by Tallgeese VI
    11:52 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Continuation from the OVA perhaps.

Always tought of this might happened after the OVA is aired.

Comment by Vin-nii
    12:46 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

that is probably the only condition where I'll follow the series

Comment by stewie
    04:57 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Eh. Negima sucks. Itd be awesome if the guy starts working on an entirely different series now, something more akin to Love hina than a harry potter harem :/

05:00 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Negima doesn't suck, read the manga
    If you have and still think it sucks...well you have no sense at all

06:11 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Love Hina? That was even worse than Negima. Naru is an unbearable character, even the carbon copy Asuna is slightly better, and the rest of the cast wasn't much either.

Akamatsu is incredibly overrated, but at least Negima has some pretty decent action scenes. It's just too bad every adaptation focuses on the shitty harem comedy aspect.

Comment by stevie
    09:12 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and the harem stuff is just KA's style
    if u read the wiki page about him you'll know what he is.

Comment by stevie
    09:10 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

love hina isn't worse than negima
    it's pretty good expect for the storyline which is a bit .....
    the character designs were also pretty good.

anyways i hope the 3rd season does goes together with the current manga. something like going to to magic world or maybe something about negi finally finding his father and asuna realizing who she really is. just something like that.

the manga would take at least 100 more chapters to end (just a rough prediction).

09:15 17/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Shaft has been doing a great job with the OADs..I really hope they do the third season (and I hope there will be a third season). If it stays true the manga, it should be excellent.

First season was okay, and the second season was completely random but awesome nonethless. I think the third season will get it completely right though (since it will most likely follow the manga)

Comment by nathan
    04:08 13/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

is it true and when is it coming to america

00:14 09/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Thanks for sharing this TV series, really enjoyed watching it.

- tv show reviews

Comment by Digman14
    09:59 04/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Please, dear god give us a third series, and this time, FINISH IT, keep on going publish more of the manga and keep the anime going all the way up to the point where the manga is, don't just drop it at the juicy parts, KEEP THE ANIME GOING KEN! AND ALSO KEEP THE MANGA GOING TOO! Love Negima, PLEASE... 3rd Series...

03:51 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe if they keep milking it, eventually one won't suck!

Comment by Ravage
    03:25 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fine, but only if its done by a capable studio (no Shaft, Gonzo, Artland, Xebec, and whatever crap).

I'd love to see a good adaptation of Negima though, but not ANOTHER scarring memory like the first 2 seasons.

Comment by Chris
    09:10 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

SHAFT is awesome, don't lump them in with Xebec and Gonzo :(

The Negima!? series was so much better then Mahou Sensei Negima. Then again, I'm only half way through Negima!?

Comment by unicogirl
    17:57 04/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with Ravage,
    no more SHAFT for Negima and especially No more Akiyuki Shinbo!!! The guy's antics get annoying. We get it...Pani Poni is funny, just leave it there and stop putting it in other anime.

Shaft can animate, but when it comes to design they fail at it IMO. (completely disregarding the original). Under SHAFT characters don't act like themselves, they go totally OOC.

I developed a "Like - Dislike" for some SHAFT works.
    Negima being the main example.

I must say though, it is rather comical that Negima has been given so many chances to be an animated series. Here is hoping that it will do right the 3rd time around (if this is true). And I hope Funi is up for another Negima licenses.

Comment by Quen
    07:28 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought the Ala Alba series was well regarded by fans, as opposed to the the 2 TV series?

Comment by Quen
    07:28 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

...to the first two TV series...

03:52 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Always hated this series cuz the dude is like 4 years old. I guess I'm jealous.

Comment by WondrousWizard
    06:48 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I understand that... but still only at the beginning it's hard to accept at 100% but more the story goes on, the more it began entertaining. Negi x Eva or Negi x Nodoka are my choice and hopes.

03:58 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If only they followed the badass manga just once instead of doing another ero-comedy failure...

Comment by Svinto
    20:56 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I love the manga and have been reluctant to see the anime because I fear it's not true to the manga.

By your post I guess my fear was right.

Comment by Actar
    04:04 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah!!! Awesome!!! Fantastic!!!

I absolutely love both seasons to the core and I think their characterizations are done extremely well.

THIRD SEASON BANZAII!!!

Comment by Qpax
    03:14 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I still havent watched second season even if I have all 25 episodes but here there will be third season =/

03:08 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow this is amazing
    If they follow the manga and show us the hardcore battles that come later, I will jizz in my pants

Comment by Chris
    09:08 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Will you now?
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4&fmt=22 [http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4&fmt=22]

04:59 02/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes I will, congratulations on knowing where I was quoting from ;)

Comment by DonPablito
    02:54 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Please be true!

Comment by Anon-swe
    02:56 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Apparently (internet), Akamatsu mentioned something about considering a Negima movie if OAD preorders were 50000 and a third series (probably Negima??) at 100000.

Comment by Quen
    03:07 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That was announced sometime in early 2008, I did see it mentioned frequently while I researched this, but cannot say I'm certain as to what the end results were...

I've actually yet to see any of the Negima anime (been meaning to for years), so I'm not extremely familiar with the animated production.

05:59 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Final Numbers
    OAD1 85000
    OAD2 79000
    OAD3 78000
    Total 242000

OAD1 had to reach 90000 for a possible new anime series.

Let's just hope this is true and it stays true to the manga series, god dammit.

Comment by ZippyDSMlee
    02:58 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Kinda liked the first season the 2nd season was annoying...I don;t even want to know what the 3rd one will be....will they try and do it over again?

Comment by nckl
    05:27 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm actually the opposite. Granted, I only saw the first episode of season #1, but I hated it. I did, however, love the "second season." It was so stupid and random, and I particularly loved the weird as hell Motsu. If season #3 was like "season #2," I wouldn't mind it.

02:48 04/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, if they DO make the third anime series, they'd make it more true to the manga, unlike the previous two series. It'll be like the current OVAs, Ala Alba, except there'll be more material. And it'll rock. And it's also possible that there will be a movie along with it. Considering SHAFT said they'd make a movie if the preorders for Ala Alba reached over 50,000 (which it did) and a third anime series if they reached 10,000 (which it was pretty darn close to), it's highly possible that they might do both.

Boy, that was a text heavy comment.

Comment by WondrousWizard
    06:47 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Unable to like the second season... It was like trying to eat puke directly. The first season was good and was acceptable. But I still wish for them to make a mainstream anime of Mahou Sensei Negima and work on it like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc... and to start from square one. With more than 200 chapters already out, if they start from square 1, i don't think fillers will be needed anytime soon. The manga is really popular and every Negima fans are waiting for a anime of this manga like Naruto or Bleach.

Comment by TerrawindX2
    13:26 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It will end soon?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

06:57 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well aparently the manga will end soon, so with over 250 chapters, even if the author continues a bit.. they won't need filler for over 4 years! if at all... and that would be excellent

Comment by sakaki1
    07:47 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i only saw the first season...but oh well
    hopefully they do make it! :D

Comment by alex1_phang3
    08:48 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yea, I was expecting this.

Personally, I do think that Negima is supposed to have many episodes, because just 26 episodes (a typical length for a season of anime) just cant fully potray all the interesting bits in the plot like in the manga.

08:51 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Shaft better not fuck up like in Negima?!

09:04 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope that and I like to see a tv series of more than 200 episodes 100% faithful to the original manga

Comment by Chris
    09:13 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Urgh... you know that never ending shounen is a bad thing right?

6 cours worth of filler free episodes would be more then enough... 8 cours at most. Then again, the School Festival arc -did- take like, 8 volumes... lol.

11:06 05/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it won't necessarily have a lot of filler, considering the manga itself is so packed with interesting little tidbits and such. It's better than cutting out stuff, right? And I'm fairly sure that if they DO make a third series, it'll be about the journey to the magical world, which is the current storyarc of the manga in japan.

Comment by justsomeguy
    07:03 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I dropped the series. Akamatsu supposedly implied that the story is currently only half complete.

As for the two anime, the first was as horrible as only Xebek could make it, while Shaft made no attempt to follow the storyline for the second (maybe they didn't want to show Xebek up on a show released the year before).

Comment by kenjiharima
    06:02 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

makes me wish I didn't drop the series...