Gift Saber Figure

gift_saber_01.jpg

Fans of Fate/Stay Night’s Saber are currently being well served by whatever benevolent Shinto deity’s portfolio includes PVC figures, as another exceptional figure of Saber has just been released by maker Gift.

Surely many fans will be comparing this to the upcoming Good Smile Saber Lily, in an attempt to determine which will be the best Saber figure of the decade?

This 1/8 scale PVC from Gift, bearing the simple name of セイバー / Saber is sculpted by 戸田 聡 / Satoshi Toda. Interestingly, the distributor for the Gift Saber is Good Smile, meaning that Good Smile is involved in both of what must be the best incarnations of Saber yet made – perhaps along with  the Saber Dollfie, if you have a taste for Dollfies.

Onto the Gift Saber itself…

gift_saber_02.jpg

It should be noted that one of the Gift Saber’s main selling points is the inclusion of two removable faces, a rather unconventional trick for a scaled PVC or resin figure.

One is the atypical face seen above and in most of the photos here, which has smaller eyes and a slightly more “realistic” appearance to it. The other is a more normal anime-style face, shown further below.

gift_saber_03.jpg

gift_saber_04.jpg

The nearly iridescent skirt definitely catches the eye…

gift_saber_05.jpg

The default, “realistic” face does not stray very far from the normal anime-styling, and so is not very jarring at all. In any case, it seems very well done, and does invoke Saber’s character design even while being a unique take on her.

gift_saber_06.jpg

The detailing looks superb, especially for a figure in this price range.

gift_saber_07.jpg

Her sword, Excalibur, also seems to have come off very well.

gift_saber_08.jpg

Lightning must play an important part in displaying this figure to look its best.

gift_saber_09.jpg

Lovely!

gift_saber_10.jpg

Unfortunately, no panchira.

gift_saber_11.jpg

The alternate, more typical face.

gift_saber_12.jpg

A comparison shot of the figure with its two faces. It would be interesting to know which of the two will most owners use to display her in…

The Gift Saber is available now, for around ¥7,000 – lower than might be expected for a figure of this quality.

International customers can easily pick her up at Hobby Search.

See the rest of the photos at Akiba Hobby and Foo Bar Baz.

Ideally, one could get both the Gift and Good Smile Sabers, but that might be too pricey for some fans. Which would you get?

good_smile_saber_lily_figure_06.jpg

The Good Smile Saber Lily.

Poll unavailable.

Comment by Lenneth
    20:05 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

oh my! Both of them are simply stunning. Saber's dress is far superior in the Gift version. It's more practical than having detached sleeves and the semi transparent dress is simply gorgeous. The printing on it will be hard to beat too. The main area that brings it down though, and has already been mentioned numerous times is the face.. neither of the two provided come close to GSCs. Thats where I think Gifts biggest problem lies. Instead of making two faces they should have just concentrated on making one great one.

Who will be the first to buy a sacrificial GSC to create the perfect Gift Saber? :p

~Lenneth

Comment by kenjiharima
    21:36 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

pretty obvious who's the winner here in terms of facial sculpt. ;)

Comment by Void
    01:23 29/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't ignore the face on Gift Saber. I'll go GSSL.

Comment by metatron
    23:19 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i'd rather get the GSC Saber Lily ^^

Comment by Actar
    17:36 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I wouldn't buy a figure just because of the details. I buy a figure because I like a character and the figure is Anime-accurate.

Saber Lily is indeed a figure which I will put money down for. So many figures to buy...

Comment by yuuji
    14:50 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

her smile seems abit off to me..

i would get the saber lily

Comment by Tomoya
    13:30 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

COOL ARMOR
    [Check]
    COOL STYLE
    [Check]
    DETAILED SWORD
    [Check]
    UGLY FACE
    [Ruining Everything]

Way to go Lily

Comment by carr0tz
    15:23 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

saber lily is better, seriosly

Comment by Tragic comedy
    15:48 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think the realistic face is awesome yo. its phat!

Comment by San Celluz
    17:28 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have ordered both :D i cant wait to receive this one next week....now when another great Gift figure but of Rider?

Comment by Rinfinite
    16:40 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Lily ftw.

The armor of the Gift Saber looks a bit exaggerated. I don't really like those shoulder plates, gauntlets and how the armor on sides of her skirt are too short. I still like the design of the original, old skool Saber best.

The anime face of the Gift Saber is good though.

Comment by Marine-RX179
    01:28 29/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Most of the Saber figures in the pass their faces were a bit off for me, which is the main reason I didn't buy them. I did however buy the Maid version of Saber and Rin (for the sake of them in maid outfit lol) which was also by GSC. I later also buy the figma Saber as well.

Now the GSC Saber Lily...it definitely have the best face out of all the Saber figure. Even thought it's said to be going to be 8,800yen, but I still think I am going to buy it simply because it is THAT good (and of course the figure itself is just perfect).

11:29 19/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

God, that's an awful face. Does anyone here even like this shit? ugh..

23:49 12/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i can't tell, but are you being sarcastic as you write this??

23:23 20/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

The clothing detail is second-to-top notch, but the first face isn't realistic - it looks anime-style, but it looks like she just bit into a lemon.

Comment by Junjoul
    15:42 07/02/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

her face in the thumbnail kinda reminded me of this face

02:20 30/03/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

i dont like the smilyng face ...

Comment by Cocoa
    20:54 15/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This Saber is insanely detailed with the armor and the lace trim on the skirt. But the face is just plain disappointing. The hair is also a failpoint. The Good Smile figure is just more appealing all-around. Much more detail to the hair and beautiful skin.

Comment by OmegaDenmad
    07:03 29/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's good and all, but, more Rin Tohsaka figures please!

Comment by Julius
    01:52 16/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't know, but I think this figure was a good purchase. It took me a while to decide on the saber lily figure compared to this. Once I knew there was an alternate "anime-like" head included I pre-ordered it right away. I could have just been lucky with the molding but I can share some pics through e-mail if anyone is interested (not so knowledgeable about posting pictures).

The lily is nice and all but what really got me to submit a pre-order for GSC rather than gift's upcoming lily was the fact that I needed a different pose from my Saber Alter (theater) and thought that it would look nice in between Alter and gift (gift's lily has identical pose to theater ds and gift saber). I'm also unsure of how the anime face of gift's lily will turn out as no pics have been released. I also thought that the lily design in itself is already a large deviation from the normal saber outfit especially with this dynamic pose so that additional details isn't quite as necessary. The avalon is a plus.

12:10 08/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Both.
    I just won't eat for a while.

12:18 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

GSC Saber Lily. Armpits.

Comment by dmil666
    07:21 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've got a Gift Saber preordered too. The pose and outfit were the main attractions for me.

Comment by OneMan
    07:13 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Have Gift Saber preordered for almost half of year .. hope it will come soon. My first one :)

Comment by MV
    07:26 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not much love for the Gift Saber? Love the "realistic" face. Alt. face isn't too spectacular. If I bought figures, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Comment by Artefact
    09:19 28/01/2009 # ! Impenetrable

I'm a big fan of this realistic visage too; stunning figure.

Comment by SnooSnoo
    17:36 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The "realistic face" looks weird to me. But I'll take Gift Saber with the animu face. The armor and Excalibur is FUCKING awesome.

06:53 01/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yup, the face really creeps me out, but the details on the armor is amazing...

Too bad I'll be getting the Good Smile one, since that looks more pleasant to my eyes....

07:31 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The face ruins it. Everything else is nicely detailed.

Comment by Jin Stevens
    07:47 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I also think the Good Smile version is superior. The detailing seems to be better and, as others mentioned, the face is better.

Comment by Jarmel
    07:31 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

My god the realistic face is ugly and the alternate is just too plain. The dress and armor is too elegant in my opinion(too flowery). It just doesn't look anywhere as remotely nice as the GSC one.

Comment by Sil
    07:06 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's Lily for me i guess, since i've already pre-ordered it.

Comment by Yhamm
    06:56 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Will have both, and with the dark saber from solid theater, that will give me the 3 differents saber in armor <3

Comment by phew
    06:42 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ya it oso' kill meh siao , obviously da Lily liao

Comment by iragedsohard
    Comment by iragedsohard
    Comment by Svinto
    18:45 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That is the crappiest made face on a figure I've ever seen.
    FAIL bigtime.

06:44 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

well the face is kinda scary for me (both)... It doesn't look like saber to me
    Good Smile all the way

Comment by newb17
    06:44 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

(hmmm too MANY~!!! votes but no comment try give some enthusiastic reactions) on what you see at least the Gift Saber is Great but if your not a fan on Realistic designing so vote's on "Good Smile Saber Lily" Hmmm... "Lovely indeed" XD~!!!

06:54 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what's with the face?

Comment by repure
    06:46 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

face switching figure? i thought that would only work with nendoroids? this fig doesnt come close to Good Smile Saber Lily...

07:47 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I guess I'm in the minority when I think that this is definitely the Saber to own though I'll be definitely using the alternate face. The stalwart king of knights standing solemnly on a hill (or my shelf) as a breeze washes over the battlefield catching her skirt and making it flutter in the wind...its just so..her..so Saber..so iconic and I love all the intricate details they've put into her skirt and armor. Saber lily's armor just lacks all the intricacies of Gift's Saber's and comes off kinda bland but I do prefer the design of Saber Lily and I hope they revisit the design again and make a detailed one.

07:53 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The 'realistic' face looks weird. I've got Lily on order, but I might get the Gift one.
    The clothes are stunning on the Gift one though.

10:35 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The problem with the realistic face on the Gift Seiba should be readily apparent.

Why the fuck is she smiling? Here we see her in badass, exquisitely done armor, holding the damn Sword of Promised Victory, and she's smiling like this is some model audition. I like the other details about the realistic face, but the smile just diminishes everything.

Going to have to go with Saber Lily on this one, they did the face exactly how it should be.

Comment by Artefact

Her superb smile is what makes the figure. Much better than the usual generic expression...

Comment by MV
    07:58 29/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As much as I love stoic women, the first picture is incredible. Man, you guys suck.

Comment by Jarmel
    10:44 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow the GSC is destroying the Gift Saber in the polls, and rightfully so.

Comment by Quen
    19:50 28/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I never vote in a poll I've made (because somehow I think it would be cheating), but in all honesty if I did, I'd go for the GSC Saber...

I do think the Gift version is superb, as should be fairly clear from the post. Shame that I can't get both...