Cyber Figure ARis: Molest a Maid Voiced by Yukana

virtual-figure-aris.jpg

Robotic figures may be some way off, but virtual figures, here in the form of a “Virtual Idol System”, are much closer.

Cyber Figure ARis, as she is known, possesses a 3D polygonal maid avatar of modest fidelity, along with charming voicing provided by the same seiyuu as C.C. of Code Geass (and Tear Grants), Yukana.

In addition, she responds interestingly to the full gamut of perverted experimentation her master will inevitably throw at her; you can see this rather amusing molestation in action in the below videos:

Fortunately, she forgets cruel treatment with the provision of presents, in what some would say is a not unrealistic fashion…

She seems to have received some wardrobe upgrades as well.

A very novel and interesting use of the technology (known as Augmented Reality, hence ARis, as opposed to Virtual Reality), I’m sure you’ll agree, and one it would be very interesting to see iterated over several generations, and given some established IP.

You can acquire your own ARis for $160; you’ll need a Windows PC and a web camera to go with it.

Thanks to CC for reminding me about this.

Comment by Johnson
    10:20 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think she's a lot less amusing once she gets used to all the random stripping (video 2). And her cute voice just grates me.

I still like the raptor part best (video 1).

Comment by taishi tetora
    09:59 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

yukana?

that mean. . . . aris = reinforce zwei~~~

12:33 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

old as freaking time itself....lol my friend got this thing last year....i even have the template for the cubes and shit...oh yeah i still need to get my mods from him for my 3d custom girl and i still need to get this game from him....LOL

Comment by NitWit005
    12:34 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

After those ARToolkit Miku posts I knew that this was inevitable...

They should really allow custom user mods. Given how much effort has been put into dress up games, I think plenty of people would submit stuff.

Comment by plmko
    13:19 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Isn't this old? Still I guess it was a but obscure.

Comment by Quen
    16:45 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

News of this has indeed been out for a while - as I've been lusting for it for several months I definitely would've posted something on it but I would've sworn Artefact had already done a news post on this preciously before my time...

My memories must've been off.

Comment by Artefact

Another genius.

I refrained from posting as I had no idea you could get it internationally, and I had not seen the amusing videos, only the boring demos.

Comment by Hanakyou
    09:46 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is great! They should implant some kind of interactive games too , or
    Speech recognition program + Chatting program + Vocaloid = conversation ability XD

14:54 22/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Or you could, you know, talk to a real woman.

Comment by CC
    09:24 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

"Thanks to CC for reminding me about this."

Ah you got the mail after all? It's not in my outgoing mailbox for some reason.

08:42 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Goodbye fapping to figurines...

Comment by Phuong
    09:06 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That instant forgiveness after getting a present is spot on. xD

Comment by metatron
    15:00 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow! US$160 @@

we indeed have an expensive hobby @@

Comment by takuya13
    16:43 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

she also does the voice of tessa from fmp.. which i think sounds more like ARis

15:37 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's the show the 2nd last video is from? I'm interested in the girl w/ glasses ...

Comment by Assault Squad
    01:01 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I have acquired ARis for 3 months ago, she was more like an infrared system which is the program made the webcam sense the images on the images & having the interaction with her.

05:44 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

oh shit this thing is so cool

05:41 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just search for ARToolKit on Youtube.

Comment by Chen
    06:13 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I deeply regret not being gifted with an understanding of the japanese language. If this Figure would come with subs I definitely buy it. (That is, if the software runs with Linux, which is very unlikely)

Nah... just kidding. I probably never buy stuff like this. I need my screen for other things.

Comment by Jashin
    04:30 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Cute... C.C and Tear... Both hot... *is not listening to Yukana*

Comment by zonic505
    04:29 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But would she learn to enjoy it over time & let us play with her naked?

Comment by sung gyu
    05:04 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Fuck, 160 dollars? This may be the most expensive piece of otaku merchandise I may ever buy....T~T

05:56 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've been thinking... if you make the cubes yourself out of paper or w/e and 'acquired' the software you could probably get it working... however considering how impressive that actually is I'm highly inclined to buy it.

Comment by Mechwarrior
    08:48 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The implementation is most definitely software based. If you look at the "hardware",as it were, you can distinct patterns on them. These patterns both identify to the software what the function of the item is, as well as its location in 3D space. This is basically the same exact thing that the Eye Of Judgment game does.

Comment by forgotten logic
    11:32 22/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Give the Americans technology and we'll bring monsters to life, give it to the Japanese and they'll use it to virtually molest women...

12:03 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

break a leg

cube, sticks and software.

Comment by Artefact

No, you couldn't. The cubes and sticks are all essential pieces of hardware, more important than the software itself. Imagine trying to play a Wii without the Wiimote...

Comment by Artefact

Of course, you have to spend the extra on the camera to get good pickup... A more than fair trade.

08:06 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Making them out of paper should work cause the software uses the symbols on the cube/other stuff to get positioning data. Having some sort of tilt sensor in the cube would be really unreasonable and would probably push the price to 300+ dollars.

Comment by Svinto
    02:31 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This technology is actually pretty old by know. I'm actually surprised that the framerate is so low.

If you want to see a spectacular example of Augmented Reality IMHO here's a nice vid:

19:12 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

there are in fact paper crafts to make the cube and the poker stick, i believe. Just in case you lose them, i guess, grouped together with the software also, in case you lost them together >.> or something.

Comment by ipood
    20:12 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've seen various videos of AR and what anonymous is saying here is very much the case, the pattern controls where the 3D-image should be projected. The way the pattern is angled in the video in turn defines the angle of projection and rotation.
    I've even seen people control audio software and synths with paper cutouts this way.
    The price for Aris is a bit high in my opinion, they probably thought nobody was going to buy it. Or they are hoping more will believe something is actually inside the cubes.

At any rate you can't tell me this was an expensive thing to develop as there are tons of code of it already available. I think there's a high possibility of (a lot cheaper) self-published AR figures like this coming in the future.

Comment by Artefact

I suppose this is comeuppance for listening to the creator's spiel in the video and not going after the Miku videos - I did wonder seeing their different bases...

07:16 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Why is it not doing it by camera analysis? That is perfectly possible. If it is as you say how does the cube get the info. to the computer? In the last youtube video there is a picture of the boxes content. Nowhere in the inventory is a usb dongle or similar. Even the wii has the infrared bar and wireless bluetooth to comunticate between the controlers and the wii itself.

07:38 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, almost everything is done by camera analysis. The software works with the PC camera to recognise and track the various patterns around the cube/prod/card and movements and generate the desired actions. In other words, you can simply print out the patterns and this would function similarly. Just search for ARToolkit in youtube and you will see some independently-made examples (including several involving Miku Hatsune)

In fact, you can download ARToolkit software along with character samples yourself for free and print out patterns to see for yourself here: http://www.hitl.washington.edu/artoolkit/

Comment by Pit
    07:58 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hahaha. Right, gloating done. Thanks to fellow above anon. for the link, this looks most interesting, there's even a linux client. I think I might have a play with this later... I'll probably need a better web cam though :<

Comment by Artefact

How do you think it's getting the positional data for the prodding and standing on the cube whilst being rotated? It isn't doing it by camera analysis...

06:54 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm not convinced, it looks very much like it's software based. I don't belive those cubes have anything electronic inside them else there'd be some kind of usb dongle or something.

Comment by iragedsohard
    06:29 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I want it but it still looks incredibly glitchy.

Oh well, papercraft and piratan here I come!

Comment by Artefact

It does have plenty of positioning glitches, doesn't it? I don't know whether the patches have fixed this or not...

Comment by sashi-
    05:12 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

would be nice to see this on my desktop, walking on my start bar... a personal shana (^ω^)

Comment by sashi-
    05:29 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

a search on things like this turned up http://d.hatena.ne.jp/kawatan/ touhou, and hatsune miku on your desktop, can't download the miku version tought...

Comment by Artefact

I'll likely cover some of these in a later article.

Comment by kenjiharima
    05:26 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If there is a way to edit the 3D maid like the custom girl one it's will be a better buy.

Comment by kenjiharima
    05:28 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

damn typos...>_<

Comment by Artefact

As anon says, there are tools. An article on these will likely come later.

Comment by alex1_phang3
    07:13 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I want one T^T I sooooo want one !! T^T

Comment by EvilDevil
    07:22 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

...if this keeps up, one day they will be closer of making real women obsolete...

14:53 22/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just because no real woman would ever want to sleep with you doesn't make them obsolete.

Comment by Pit
    07:59 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That's if real women don't make us obsolete first. :<

Comment by Kurohana Setsuna
    07:07 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow! I got to get one, It's my mission to get one, but I wounder if it'll work with the Eng windows OS, either way this is a brake through for all otaku alike. The price seems perfect for the technology like this. "This made my day"