Koreans Force Cancellation of “Criminal” Hetalia

korean-national-assembly-condemns-criminal-hetalia-1.jpg

In an outrageous attack on freedom of speech, nationalistic Korean protests have forced the upcoming satirical WWII anime Hetalia Axis Powers off the air entirely; the issue was even taken up in the National Assembly, where the anime was denounced as being “equivalent to criminal conduct”, such was the hysteria against any possible affront to Korea’s dubious claims over Dokdo/Takeshima.

Craven broadcaster Kids Station apparently felt they had no option but to cave in to the Korean claims of “discrimination”, despite the anime apparently not even including the elements which upset the hypersensitive nationalists.

korean-national-assembly-condemns-criminal-hetalia.jpg

The official announcement of the broadcast’s cancellation is as follows:

Hetalia Axis Powers was scheduled to commence broadcasting on the 24th of January on Kids Station, but due to circumstances afflicting the broadcast station, the broadcast has been cancelled. To all those who have been looking forward to the broadcast as announced on the homepage and elsewhere, we apologise for this tremendous inconvenience.
We hope you will be understanding over this matter.

Of course, as with any such official announcement, no useful information as to why is included, but with it coming up in the Korean mass media the cause is clearly not in doubt; there are rumours of pressure being applied behind the scenes.

There is one glimmer of hope for fans wishing to avoid Korean censorship: inferior quality distribution by mobile and online streaming will go ahead as announced, likely because these are not handled by yellow broadcaster Kids Station.

The fact that online and mobile distribution has escaped Korea’s wrath will likely come as scant consolation to the makers, who were doubtless hoping for the web comic to finally enter the mainstream.

However, with the colossal negative publicity accruing to Korea over this debacle, we might well expect a very positive effect on sales of the DVD as people explore what all the fuss is about, or opt to support it against censorship. A publicity campaign money can’t buy, indeed.

As explained previously, it seems the locus of Korean outrage was the portrayal of Korea as a nation intent on claiming all and sundry as being either its invention or its territory; the breast grabbing scene where Korea seizes Japan’s chest (thought to represent Dokdo/Takeshima) is the main example of such. Of course, things could hardly be further from the truth?

Naturally, none of the other more reasonable nations lampooned in the series could care less about this wicked “discrimination”…

hetalia-country-comparison.jpg

1214600659872xv7.jpg

The reaction in Japan (excluding the typically supine mass media) is one of predictable consternation, though many are not entirely surprised, given the influence Korea exerts over Japan in many areas, and its constant state of nationalistic outrage.

bombing.jpg

There are many examples of Korean protests censoring Japanese domestic broadcasts (chiefly drama and the like which somehow manages to upset the influential hyper-nationalist lobby in Korea), though strangely no examples of the converse; in fact, outrageous anti-Japanese propaganda and protest seems to be the order of the day throughout Korea, reaching extremely disturbing levels, even in its schools.

Korean politicians seem ever eager to stoke the flames of hatred against Japan, and even China and America, though such reckless conduct seems unlikely to secure their long term good relations with the rest of the world.

Anything to distract from the plight of their 20 million starving and enslaved countrymen to the north?

Comment by Klibbnisse
    19:23 27/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I did just notice... why is the flag of Sealand in there?

Comment by wheresthelove?
    10:44 23/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know it's hard to not get angry here... but what the haters in this comments page are doing are practically doing what Korea is doing as well. It's just an anime series. There's going to be others. Besides, you'll still be able to see it online (where probably most of you live anyways).

Don't get too butthurt just because your favorite comic can't turn into an anime.

Everyone... GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!

19:30 17/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Try hugging people without voicing your opinion, it'd be more in turn with your name.

Comment by Cerenado
    10:15 03/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

After reading that^ article, I must say that the "Bee Man" part was particularly amusing.
    I may not know lots of their ethics and culture, but I find it extremely silly for them to attempt to cancel an anime. Haven't they got better things to do?
    By the way, that anime seems interesting, I might just end up watching it! ;)

Comment by Really
    12:15 04/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, and you might find it quite amusing when you search 'japan protest' you get more 'anti-japan protest' than 'japan protest'.

Comment by Nemesis
    04:22 12/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

OMFG.......is this shit for real....LMFAO koreans are complete retards....i really feel sorry for the retardness in there country.....they were the people that we being talked about when "slop head" was created

Comment by Edmond
    17:58 17/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, I Think, The Real Retard, Is You, Un Historical Nazi Student.

Comment by GUNSPECTRE
    11:44 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

These types of posts are just for trolls and weeaboos. People who have no life and have no idea what type of crap comes spouting out of their mouths.

Apparently ALL Koreans deserve to die. Because they are all criminals, because they DON'T agree with what their older generations and government is saying. Because a Korean that loves anime and finds this news completely ridiculous does NOT exist.
    "I'm Korean, so I INSTANTLY have to hate the Japanese. I HAVE to follow those old Japan-haters to the end of the earth, because I'm Korean, and we're all alike! Oh wait, maybe I'll go later, I've gotta watch Zero no Tsukaima first..."

PS: that was sarcasm to the retard weeaboos.

03:01 26/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

that anime sucks anyways. where the hell is my counry bitch?

Comment by Blooperz
    13:41 31/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

^^ it's so wonderful to see such a gentle group~ T_T

um...first of all, it's not ALL koreans. =\

i'm korean...and i love hetalia! woo~

19:33 17/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But can you speak for a majority or the group of people who read/barely glanced at/got a whiff of said series and decided "DOWN with it" ?

Comment by Andrew the Deadman
    23:09 31/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nationalists, somehow it sounds like someone who can't take a joke

Comment by onoz
    20:47 01/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

KOREA EAT CAT

18:50 04/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol maybe u should read the articles related about 'cat eating' in Sankaku. fail much?

Comment by Mengya
    01:58 24/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Everyone, calm down. It's just a webcomie/anime. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to watch it. Hetalia stereotypes countries and the people of those countries, that's a given. It's also undeniable that different countries tend to have different traditions and historically tend to behave differently on the international political stage influenced by their histories, cultures and traditions. The comic was made for the purpose of entertainment, if you find it offensive then simply ignore it, no need to put yourself under such stress. If you feel up to a serious political debate that is brought up in the comic there are many forums and discussion groups you can join for that.

I'm a Chinese-born Canadian. There are certain parts of Hetalia that I am uncomfortable with but that's understandable since history and politics is subjective. It doesn't take away from my opinion that Hetalia is a great way to laugh at international politics and the often-times frustration it causes. Everyone has their own views on historical incidents, neither side is right and neither side is wrong. No country is perfect, and none of us likes it when a country we love and care for is painted in a negative light, therefore there will be parts of Hetalia that will aggravate everyone, but the entire purpose of Hetalia is to laugh at international politics, not to take it seriously. Hetalia is not endorsed by the Japanese government, it was merely created by someone for the sake of entertainment and portrays that one person's view on the world. You're more than welcome to disagree, but that person has his/her right to express his/her views just as you have your's to disagree.

I think this particular article is quite provocative in its tone and agressive as well, beginning with the sentence "In an outrageous attack on freedom of speech, nationalistic Korean protests have forced the upcoming satirical WWII anime Hetalia Axis Powers off the air entirely...". Whether it is outrageous is subjective, whether it is merely nationalistic Koreans who are protesting is up for debate, but such a starting phrase will no doubt ruffle some feathers. I think the Korean government is taking Hetalia a bit too seriously, but from the comments on here the reaction to the Korean government's retaliation isn't going to do much to convince Korea to re-think their decision. Making racist and derogatory comments, cursing left and right and insulting people will only serve to fan the flames of negativity, not help to dispell them.

Comment by lunar
    07:54 16/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm a Chinese.
    At first Koreans quarrel with Japaneses...
    Later some Americans even Germans appear...omg.
    Well, take it easy. Just a manga.

Comment by Takato
    14:40 20/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's stupid to make such a complaint for an anime scene , i think there are much more important problems in this world to solve rather than complaining about a manga

19:32 17/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yet those problems are avoided because it's too hard to save a life, while present times show just how easy it is to cancel a TV show.

16:52 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow. I think I can highlight at least one word in every sentence of this article that uses biased word choice for maximum provocation and misrepresentation.

Comment by Artefact

Try arguing your case instead of issuing vague complaints of "misrepresentation" - or perhaps you have none?

11:04 22/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ok, I'm a Korean person, and when I read the comics with Korea in them, I actually laughed a lot and thought it was really funny. But at the same time I knew it was racist, but the entire comic is racist... Also... I haven't read too many of the comics yet, but from what I can tell, Korea in the comic seemed like one of the gayest and stupidest characters in there (but I still found him rather lovable) so maybe that was another reason for the whole protest? I wouldn't like it if someone made me act totally gay and stupid towards someone I haven't really come to good terms with...
    Anyway I think that the Koreans simply overreacted and the Japanese just took it too far.

00:19 21/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's with all he anger here? I read APH, and expected this to happen, APH is racist as hell, I doubted the anime to even air in the first place.

20:26 13/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Please differentiate between jokes and insults. And face it no country is perfect.

Comment by someoneusedmyid
    12:37 18/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

be more ANGRY!!!
    dokdo is korea's!!

02:23 19/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hey, I mean, It's not like Japan has ever done anything bad to Korea ever, right? I mean, come on! Imperialism is SOOOOO last century! Japan is now a happy utopia filled with love and candy and mutual respect for all foreign races and cultures!

02:17 20/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If you can read history book in Korea, you'll find it to be full of fantasy.

16:48 17/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

just like japan's XDDDD

19:29 17/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yep yep, Japan is a pure fucking candyland. Get your dick sucked 24/7 anytime anywhere for free. Plenty of free pocky. Hell The history book was replaced with a graphic novel YEEEARS ago. Let's all go there to eat and fuck and be merry for the rest of our lives cause we all know it's the only place in the world devoid of ANY problems whatsoever.

Comment by 5_of_Spades
    12:23 19/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Imagine the wankery that will ensue if Germany ever produces a similar WWIIish show, with Jewish folks in it.

Or better, America making a similar show on slavery.

Or maybe Canada, on WWII when they pretty much concentration-camped the Japanese-Canadians.

14:39 12/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

China should just erase Korea from our earth.

koreans... HAHA

18:12 23/09/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

It illustration is not original!!
    I don't understand Korean action.

10:34 11/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL CRAZY KOREANS, THAT LADY NEEDS TO BE SHOT ASAP CUZ SHE NEEDS A DAMN BRAIN SURGERY. JAPAN PWNED YOU THERE. FUCK KOREA, YOU KOREANS NEED A LIFE AND SOMETHING ELSE TO ARGUE WITH.

00:54 17/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, wow. Politics trumps good sense? Who'd have thought that would ever happen?

Comment by zie
    15:26 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

let's just forget the bad past and bad memories. just carve the new nice and lovely history....

Comment by Anon
    08:26 11/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Weaboos are some scary specimens as they would start loving Hitler if he made mangas or animes.
    I've watched the anime series and it was indeed quite funny but the fact that it was aired on kids station intended to educate the children was creepy. It really showed the nationalistic education that Japan's children have been receiving. Just about everyone except Japan in the anime was weird.
    Japan - Intelligent, creative, and well mannered
    Italy - Plainly retarded
    America - Fatty who eats burgers all the time
    Autria - Stingy homo
    and so on...
    Usually, when a comedian makes a racist joke, he or she makes one about his or her own race. That's why it's a joke. In this case, purely indoctrination.

Comment by Junoan
    05:18 15/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Seriously, you have not watched entirely the webcomic, because you would know that Hetalia make fun of Japan too...

And the author of Hetalia lives in America...

19:42 17/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

oh-ho-ho major pwned.

Comment by hellifiknow
    07:53 10/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i cant believe that people cant get over something that happened decades ago
    my country suffered alot from japan invasion
    but hey i dont give a shit it's in the past
    so get the fuck over it koreans
    this isnt rasicm this is just a joke
    just grow up already
    i didnt know or care about hetalia untill this uproar
    now im gonna support hetalia all the way
    just because u fucking retards cant get over it and still blaming japan and it's fucking annoying
    we r the new generation if we cant forgive then who will
    learn to forgive and forget u fucking shitheads

19:41 17/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

YOU don't care. If something happened to where ever you're from chances are in decades people would be mocking what you found as hardship as you have done just now. And that doesn't sound like fun does it?

Comment by TheAnonymous
    08:21 15/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

In Response To:

Granted that the Korean dude acted like a complete ass, and this kind of stuff is making Koreans look bad, where we should just get over it. BUT, most of you people on this site JUST DON'T GET IT. I'm saying it for ALL parties of the matter. BOTH FOR AND AGAINST JAPANESE AND KOREANS. The way I see it is that a Japanese guy was acting racist and a Korean guy came and gone on his level. So with all due respect Mr. Artefact, BOTH the JAPANESE and KOREAN had been BOTH racist in this issue. What bothers me, is that even though this article is NOT racist AND/OR biased against Koreans, it is NOT being fair with Koreans either. This is practically the same with all the articles Artefact made concerning Koreans and Chinese. I won't call this site nor the author racist, but to be honest you are NOT being, fair and well understanding either. This goes the same with any one for the Korean and post crap about Japanese people. To bluntly put it to you Artefact and anyone and EVERYone like him (again BOTH FOR AND AGAINST JAPANESE AND KOREANS), you're showing favoritism. That's with these kind of articles and responses on this damn site, you are ALL showing favoritism. You are giving needless and undeserved respect and praise to one country and completely shit on others without really understanding it and where it comes from but so quick to show shame and utter hate for it. Sort of like a international level of primogeniture on one side, and using great comfort to use of kind of infanticide to another, and almost every single one of you on this damn site is responsible for this kind of shit when it comes to these articles. Many of you are acting very uncivil and to many those who are civil, are expressing it in an uncivilized manner. If you think you are more civilized than the Koreans and Chinese you think are assholes and/or so love to hate and bash in these articles about them, then show some restraint and don't bitch about it like they do. this goes the same with the Koreans and Chinese on the Japanese and and anyone else especially a westerner who should in my opinion technically not be add fuel to this mess either. so to show some contempt, here's bit of an ultimatum for everyone. To the Japanese and those supporting on this, I'm Korean. I can't speak for ALL Koreans but, I am a law binding citizen and have been all my life. I respect others as I do respect myself. I greatly respect Japan, it's people and it's culture and do not generalize an ENTIRE group when I observe an isolated incident like the one here in this article. I have never been obnoxious or been a perfectionists. I DON'T distort history in fact I will admit to the mistakes we had in the past. I never ate dogs, cats or any other domestic animals or any animal most people won't consider eating for that matter. I DON'T have a box shaped head and slits for eyes or NOTHING plastic. I never had a plastic surgery in my life (and just so you know, a plastic surgery doesn't use "plastic"). I do NOT represent barely ANY of the characteristics of a stereotypical Korean you people project. And I am deeply ashamed and sadden by the trend many Koreans have product themselves against others, and wish we world show the world better in a better light and forgive Japan for what they did. But you know what? That still doesn't stop me from being Korean and being proud of it too. You jerks wouldn't know one thing about us if you didn't stop the bull and actually took the time and LEARN without any prejudice, doubt, BAD expectations, nor even concern. But I can't expect much from you assholes can I. For the Koreans and Chinese and those who supporting on this, I know you are mad at Japan for what they did in the past I understand that, but it's over now. I know it hasn't been THAT long but Japan is a peaceful nation today. And it's people and all other Japanese are overall good and nice people who sorry for what they done and show remorse for it too. And I know there are some who are stuck to the past but they don't represent Japan and Japanese as a whole. I know and are friends with many and they don't act like that. Us Chinese and Koreans will serve NO good if we continue this silly and idiotic grudge against the Japanese or any other nation for that matter. It prove people like Artefact and Firetrbe so right, it will be considered fact. And I know we can't have that can we. Being pent up for what was bad in the past is never going to help us for what's in store that's good in the future. I know it's a hard pill to swallow for you but we should give up this childish thuggish act. And be happy that what Japan did then , is not happening now. I will not come off like a jerk and say "get over it" but I'm asking you not as a fellow Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or even Asian, but a fellow human being, please PLEASE let it GO. And if someone talks crap about you and your people over something like this (speaking for the GOOD Chinese and Koreans on this), DON'T RESPOND. Never let these people get to you. You don't have to prove NOTHING to them. You know what you did. You are aware of your country and the events in her life. The culture, history, the ACTUAL truth, etc. If you know what you did good in your life and what your country did good in her life and have NO regrets, don't show no regrets. Sadly, they won't know that, and they probably NEVER will. Getting in to people like Narcissist and their pitiful, pathetic preschool games will make you no better neither. And I know you aren't preschoolers are you? Just be glad that they are ranting their wasteful lives about this under a computer and not taking it to the streets just like the "noisy" Koreans, Chinese, and Japaneses are in the minority, especially in the internet despite popular misconception. so don't worry. In conclusion, we are playing one of the biggest troll games of them all, and It's getting us NOWHERE to winning. It's like the saying goes: Arguing over the internet is like running in the special Olympics ... even IF YOU win, You are still RETARDED. This can apply to outside life in this kind of situation as well. And in outside life, getting into each others throats is making Asia the new Europe. This over-nationalism in ALL countries in the topic are ALL to blame. No more NO less. Aren't we ALL human?

I know this comment-essay is hella long but it's been bugging me for the longest and I can't hold back on NOTHING. Also people must learn from this and the mistakes we made. I will expect criticism for this and I accept this. But I hope that everyone can agree with me on this notion. The further it is we concentrate on a dark past, the harder it is for us to make a bright future. So to anyone and everyone in sankakucomplex and the internet in general that is read my comment, I give you this cliche, yet misunderstood line:

"Cant we ALL just get along?"

Please, Please respond!!!

Sincerely,

TheAnonymous
    ~Have a nice FUCKING DAY~

19:34 17/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Im having a great day because I completely passed over whatever you had to say.

Novels in 'comment sections'...lovely.

Comment by Frindge Logic
    07:27 12/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

First off I have a question, if the definition of Racism is "the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races", how is that Japanese dude being racist when he's making fun of everyone, including his own country racist. Because for racism to work there has to be one county above all the rest, which in Hetalia their isn't.

Other than that I do agree with you about people just making it worse by throwing insults at each other. It will not solve anything and will just bring more hatred.

Comment by M I N N
    14:53 03/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I dont know why yall tripping - its like someone said above if that show was made by nazi - jews wouldnt have it - hell america would go all out on japan to get that show pulled for the jews .... either way this was bound too happen

19:39 17/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

America wouldn't dare risk it's only chance to get a gaming platform better than something from Microsoft, though I like how you speak on behalf of America though. Does you real name start with..O?

Lemme go anal for a moment here

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nazi first definition shows how the real nazis no longer exist. Second denotes someone who has come upon the Nazi belief and somehow agrees with it making it their own (and even then people have changed what a nazi is just to define their own hatred to whoever they wish to hate.

In conclusion, nazis or followers of the nazi belief wouldn't make an Anime. They most likely would hate anyone that watches it in the first damn place

Comment by Junoan
    20:23 15/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Really, it's starting to be ridiculous... I'm half-Italian, half Philippino, I don't mind that Hetalia made fun of Italy... seriously, this manga/anime make fun of every country, it's supposed to be a SATIRE !!!

Comment by watch twilight
    02:51 21/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what the ???

anyone can like japans?

22:39 24/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Initial stumbling upon the anime:

haha, that's cute, surely it's so ridiculous nobody would take it seriously

Reading this article: AAAAhahahahahaha THEY DID TAKE IT SERIOUSLY *wipes tear*

Reading the comments: *rolling on the floor laughing at human stupidity*

Seriously, hats off to the creator, who would have thought to create a reaction from a COUNTRY like that, it's HISTORICAL EPIC LULZ

P.S. My country - Romania, would have made a MUCH better country to pick on then Italy, we didn't even have the whole culture thing, AND we were a little political whore during WWII switching sides and stuff. But nobody knows/cares about us, lol.

19:43 17/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Let me partake in enjoying all the win that your comment is made of.

04:13 03/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Firstly you are a whore.Secondy,i hope Himaruya portrays Romania in the anime as a great nation that it is.Our culture is unique and diverse,in the WWII we were forced to join the Axis and then forced to switch sides.Lastly,please spare me of your "oh nobody cares about us"attitude 'cause it won't lead you anywhere.

Comment by imhgtsukishiro
    09:12 19/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Famous hit Koreans live-action dramas are based from Japanese mangas *ehemhanayoridangoehem*

Comment by tokugawa
    20:10 15/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nationalism is the source of many evils in the world.

Why don't humans realize that? "Nations" and "Countries" are artificial borders set up by humans anyway. They're necessary for organizational purposes, but they are nothing one should be "proud of", and much less should be something to kill for or to discriminate for.

Comment by What?
    14:06 24/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And isn't Japanese the most dangerous nationalists of all? (Hetalia itself clearly shows the nationalism in Japan)

They still think they could have won the WW2 for god's sake.

19:44 17/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Humans cannot realize human err as they are humans. >_> There is no third party to shed light when you're dealing with the human race.