Koreans Demand Anime Cancellation Over Breast Touching

hetalia-nihon.jpg

Furious Koreans have begun an effort to force the Japanese broadcaster of WWII parody anime Axis Powers Hetalia to cancel the series, based on angry accusations that its political satire dares to impugn the mighty nation of Korea.

However, the broadcaster points out that the “Korea” character doesn’t actually appear in the TV version at all…

The controversy itself stems from some scenes in the manga (or web comic) which skewer Korean nationalism. In one scene which has Korean board goers particularly riled, Hetalia’s Korea says to Japan (both are male): “Let me touch your breasts”, after which Korea grabs the chest of Japan, screaming “banzai”.

heta-hetaria.jpg

Korean net users have insisted that the breasts in this scene are an unpardonable symbollic reference to the what they see as the traditionally Korean heartland of Dokdo/Takeshima/the Liancourt rocks, a few disputed rocks in the middle of the Sea of Japan (or “East Sea” if more angry Koreans are to be believed).

We seem to be spared the more extreme protests relatively common in Korea, but the petition to cancel the anime has already attracted 12,000 signatures in but a day.

The broadcaster, Kids Station, claims ignorance: “We didn’t know about the Korean criticism. Even so, the ‘Korea’ character does not actually appear in the anime version.”

The news has now even been picked up by the likes of Yomiuri

Hetalia itself, set to air soon, loosely based around WWII, but with the characters being personifications of their various countries, features a wide variety of similar parodies based on supposed national characteristics. On these, the Koreans in question are strangely silent…

It should be interesting to see what becomes of the claims and accusations made against the show; surely they will not fold over something so trifling?

hetalia-country-comparison.jpg

1214600659872xv7.jpg

12:59 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Who the fuck likes Koreans? I fucking hate gooks.

19:07 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wow, racist much?

11:25 21/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Racism makes the world go round.

21:52 21/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Shuddap niggeeer

Comment by patapata
    09:38 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Japanese government has been asking Korea to come to
    the International Court of Justice over Takeshima island territory issue for so long a time.
    Why not come to the court, instead of complaining
    on the joke anime?
    If you Korean ever win at the court, the issue will settle down once and for all.
    Don't you agree, Korean, our neighbour people?

Comment by Endz
    00:35 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

Meh. I expected Italy to rage but not Korea...

Especially he's portrayed as an idiot, clumsy and seems to be everyone's b*tch

Comment by Bowwow
    10:05 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The reaction that seems to be right a Korean.
    Koreans are professional victims who will waste time protesting anything.

14:28 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There is no culture in Corea
    Corea do not have the recording medium

15:31 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>Another lampoon and subsequent complaint is in the form of Hetalia’s Korea being prone to claim all manner of culture as in fact being of Korean origin (there are in fact odd claims emanating from Korea to that effect).
    LOL

Comment by anon
    19:20 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The funny thing is half the animators and staff working on the show were most likely Koreans. As it's pretty common place with newer anime. LOL

Comment by Winsario
    22:28 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know Koreans are hostile against Japan and the Japanese . Because they are jealous of Japan's wealth and status in International community .
    Koreans are really immature . That's the reason why Koreans haven't been able to get the Nobel Prize and the Fields Prize . All they can do is pulling other countries' legs . I can't understand why they got furious just about a piece of animation .
    Sons of Kim Jyon-Il !

08:23 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

From what I see, if Koreans have been investing their energy into social developments and technical educations rather than bickering and blabbing, they may have far surpassed Japan by year 2000. Its sad to see how much energy was wasted for being a hippie.

07:36 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Y so Serious?

16:38 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>>they have also claimed, kendo, Japanese sword, sushi, tea ceremony, kabuki and some Japanese festivals are all origin of Korea and it’s not true.

All Your Culture Are Belong To Us

They even clame
    America was Korean Territory
    Jesus was from Korea!
    Koreans established Aztec, Inca civilizations
    Genghis Khan was Korean

19:09 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol so you will believe what you see on youtube? wow

Comment by Captain Snow
    16:42 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Koreans invented breast touching.

Comment by Tommy
    16:08 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They should chill! It's just a series that poke fun at all the country and not solely toward Korea. People these days are getting more and more serious over something that not even worth their energy.

14:06 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wai so serious?

07:59 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Basically, the writer of this piece of crap article on this terrible site is a weeaboo who thinks Japan is superior.

There are several reputable, scholarly publications, including those of Japanese origin that argue for Korean origins of Japanese culture. Some evidence to support these claims are that many Korean artifacts have been found in Japan.

It's just quite detestable how the writer considers this a "trifling" matter despite noting that there have been over 12,000 signatures on the petition.

Oh, did I mention sankakucomplex is a terrible, weeaboo site, and if regularly read this, you're weeaboo and terrible?

Comment by Artefact
    12:09 15/01/2009 # ! Impenetrable

Korean-American outrage? Spare us. This is one of the reasons nobody likes Korea...

The fact that you brought in some historical claptrap with absolutely no connection to anything on the page suggests you are just sore that nobody takes your ludicrous claims seriously.

Look north!

12:41 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

And it seems Korean government has never let them know what "Treaty on Basic Relations between Japan and the Republic of Korea" is since they say Japan has never apologized them all the time.

20:57 24/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you cant really speak for everyone when you say "nobody likes korea" yes the korean gov- aint perfect, no gov- really is... im sure there are several koreans out there that dont care about this, who are also otaku ^^

Comment by nya-
    08:17 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Korean is an ancestor of Englander lol

Comment by hurr
    17:04 13/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

>>Korean artifacts have been found in Japan.

ok so they traded shit.seeing as how they are close in distance im not surprised. you cant prove anything except that.

11:27 21/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I know. But misery loves company.

08:08 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Uh, I don't think nobody wants to be a friend who proclaims "Confucius was Korean" or register a copy of China's Dragon Boat Festival as Korea's original traditional festival into UNESCO.

08:50 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I know SOME artifacts found in Japan were from Korea but they have also claimed that Samurai,kendo,Japanese sword, sushi, tea ceremony,kabuki and some Japanese festivals are all origin of Korea and it's not true. That's the problem. And don't worry they have announced
    that they are not going to put the Korean character in the anime.

Comment by nya-
    09:26 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You're all right

I like Hetalia's Korea character too, so that's regrettable...
    If Koreans didn't such claim, he could appears in an extra scene

Korean can't seems to get ethnic joke

Comment by misae
    07:45 15/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It'd be nice if everyone can take a joke or two.
    I was trying to have some laughs about Japan and Corea, and some Coreans got very angry.
    Corean nationalism may be strong, but it's only a few people that causes these kinds of ruckus.

Don't sweat much about it, and take it easy.

Comment by Exiled98
    22:58 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

man canceling anime over such 'mundane' issues like that ? GROW UP KOREA ! ! ! !

Comment by LA
    18:54 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It says it's nothing about any real countries mentioned.
    Just as you said,they are not such real things.So,if you think you are right,why should you so care about it?
    So,Please stop taking it too seriously.It's just an anime about all jokes.
    Laugh and take it easy please.

Comment by yada
    20:07 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

haha funny to see westerns discussing this topic (i m chinese) dont know if u guys heard the other news, but the first news i read, it said the korean complained becuz the korean in the manga " relies on US and japan, calls Chinese older brother, and believed all the types of cultures origin from korea". --------------- i want to say, IT IS SOOOOO TRUE !!!! XD

Comment by Andrew the Deadman
    17:19 15/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They demand ban because of that? guess some people can't take a joke

Comment by TheAnonymous
    08:18 15/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

In Response To:

Granted that the Korean dude acted like a complete ass, and this kind of stuff is making Koreans look bad, where we should just get over it. BUT, most of you people on this site JUST DON'T GET IT. I'm saying it for ALL parties of the matter. BOTH FOR AND AGAINST JAPANESE AND KOREANS. The way I see it is that a Japanese guy was acting racist and a Korean guy came and gone on his level. So with all due respect Mr. Artefact, BOTH the JAPANESE and KOREAN had been BOTH racist in this issue. What bothers me, is that even though this article is NOT racist AND/OR biased against Koreans, it is NOT being fair with Koreans either. This is practically the same with all the articles Artefact made concerning Koreans and Chinese. I won't call this site nor the author racist, but to be honest you are NOT being, fair and well understanding either. This goes the same with any one for the Korean and post crap about Japanese people. To bluntly put it to you Artefact and anyone and EVERYone like him (again BOTH FOR AND AGAINST JAPANESE AND KOREANS), you're showing favoritism. That's with these kind of articles and responses on this damn site, you are ALL showing favoritism. You are giving needless and undeserved respect and praise to one country and completely shit on others without really understanding it and where it comes from but so quick to show shame and utter hate for it. Sort of like a international level of primogeniture on one side, and using great comfort to use of kind of infanticide to another, and almost every single one of you on this damn site is responsible for this kind of shit when it comes to these articles. Many of you are acting very uncivil and to many those who are civil, are expressing it in an uncivilized manner. If you think you are more civilized than the Koreans and Chinese you think are assholes and/or so love to hate and bash in these articles about them, then show some restraint and don't bitch about it like they do. this goes the same with the Koreans and Chinese on the Japanese and and anyone else especially a westerner who should in my opinion technically not be add fuel to this mess either. so to show some contempt, here's bit of an ultimatum for everyone. To the Japanese and those supporting on this, I'm Korean. I can't speak for ALL Koreans but, I am a law binding citizen and have been all my life. I respect others as I do respect myself. I greatly respect Japan, it's people and it's culture and do not generalize an ENTIRE group when I observe an isolated incident like the one here in this article. I have never been obnoxious or been a perfectionists. I DON'T distort history in fact I will admit to the mistakes we had in the past. I never ate dogs, cats or any other domestic animals or any animal most people won't consider eating for that matter. I DON'T have a box shaped head and slits for eyes or NOTHING plastic. I never had a plastic surgery in my life (and just so you know, a plastic surgery doesn't use "plastic"). I do NOT represent barely ANY of the characteristics of a stereotypical Korean you people project. And I am deeply ashamed and sadden by the trend many Koreans have product themselves against others, and wish we world show the world better in a better light and forgive Japan for what they did. But you know what? That still doesn't stop me from being Korean and being proud of it too. You jerks wouldn't know one thing about us if you didn't stop the bull and actually took the time and LEARN without any prejudice, doubt, BAD expectations, nor even concern. But I can't expect much from you assholes can I. For the Koreans and Chinese and those who supporting on this, I know you are mad at Japan for what they did in the past I understand that, but it's over now. I know it hasn't been THAT long but Japan is a peaceful nation today. And it's people and all other Japanese are overall good and nice people who sorry for what they done and show remorse for it too. And I know there are some who are stuck to the past but they don't represent Japan and Japanese as a whole. I know and are friends with many and they don't act like that. Us Chinese and Koreans will serve NO good if we continue this silly and idiotic grudge against the Japanese or any other nation for that matter. It prove people like Artefact and Firetrbe so right, it will be considered fact. And I know we can't have that can we. Being pent up for what was bad in the past is never going to help us for what's in store that's good in the future. I know it's a hard pill to swallow for you but we should give up this childish thuggish act. And be happy that what Japan did then , is not happening now. I will not come off like a jerk and say "get over it" but I'm asking you not as a fellow Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or even Asian, but a fellow human being, please PLEASE let it GO. And if someone talks crap about you and your people over something like this (speaking for the GOOD Chinese and Koreans on this), DON'T RESPOND. Never let these people get to you. You don't have to prove NOTHING to them. You know what you did. You are aware of your country and the events in her life. The culture, history, the ACTUAL truth, etc. If you know what you did good in your life and what your country did good in her life and have NO regrets, don't show no regrets. Sadly, they won't know that, and they probably NEVER will. Getting in to people like Narcissist and their pitiful, pathetic preschool games will make you no better neither. And I know you aren't preschoolers are you? Just be glad that they are ranting their wasteful lives about this under a computer and not taking it to the streets just like the "noisy" Koreans, Chinese, and Japaneses are in the minority, especially in the internet despite popular misconception. so don't worry. In conclusion, we are playing one of the biggest troll games of them all, and It's getting us NOWHERE to winning. It's like the saying goes: Arguing over the internet is like running in the special Olympics ... even IF YOU win, You are still RETARDED. This can apply to outside life in this kind of situation as well. And in outside life, getting into each others throats is making Asia the new Europe. This over-nationalism in ALL countries in the topic are ALL to blame. No more NO less. Aren't we ALL human?

I know this comment-essay is hella long but it's been bugging me for the longest and I can't hold back on NOTHING. Also people must learn from this and the mistakes we made. I will expect criticism for this and I accept this. But I hope that everyone can agree with me on this notion. The further it is we concentrate on a dark past, the harder it is for us to make a bright future. So to anyone and everyone in sankakucomplex and the internet in general that is read my comment, I give you this cliche, yet misunderstood line:

"Cant we ALL just get along?"

Please, Please respond!!!

Sincerely,

TheAnonymous
    ~Have a nice FUCKING DAY~

Comment by GUNSPECTRE
    10:52 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As a Korean-American born in the States, reading this just made me laugh. When I see the occasional "Dokdo Island is 4 Korea" march here, it just pisses me off. Again, as many mentioned beforehand, these crazies are the old, ULTRA-conservatives that just don't know when to shut up. Of course, there are groups like that in Japan, but Korean's tend to have a louder voice. They get what they want or die trying, hence the street riots and stuff.
    So, what am I trying to say? It's just like that saying: a few rotten apples tend to ruin the basket. There is a lot of cultural sharing between the liberal parties who think, "What happened during the occupation and WWII doesn't matter anymore." Those people are pretty mature. Last time I've heard, there was a boom of Korean music and stuff in Japan. And I've heard of a project where they send Japanese schoolboys to Korea.
    As for me, I give those crusty, ultra-conservative Koreans a Big F-Bomb. The enemy isn't the average-Joe Korean, it's the old grandma and the grandpa. :D

05:24 08/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

FUCK YOU
    We can BASH KOREA AND CHINA ALL WEE WANT because they deserve it
    Japan is the GREATEST nation in the earth no, the universe. In fact, putting it into words does not do its greatness any justice at all. Just submit to their greatness. The chinese (CHINKS) AND koreans (GOOKS) ARE LIARS and less then human beneath pigs no ants. Anyone who disagrees should DIE a horrible death.

23:39 16/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I coulnt agree with you more. It also angered me when I went to Dunkin Donuts to see a shirt that said "did you know? Dokdo belongs to Korea".

Comment by tama
    11:23 15/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hi, folks. Breasts touching IS Korean culture, and the breasts touching scene has nothing to do with tiny rocks in Sea of Japan.

Nike Slaps Ban on Gyeonggi Council Members

05:27 08/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Hippocrates they be!
    We can BASH KOREA AND CHINA ALL WEE WANT because they deserve it

12:44 03/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

lol. This is a parody, right?

Comment by MidnightTide
    07:49 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

why all the hate, just play MOAR starcraft

07:43 11/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

y so butthurt

Comment by Bluebyza
    19:17 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

cool, spain seems to be a sex symbol or something xDD

11:36 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

@ country pic,

of course america is shown as a bunch of burger-eating fatties (no offense) >_>

09:53 23/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

and yet the italians haven't complained about a single thing and the show's name is based off of "italia" XD

on a good note, Korea's character has a cool hair curly

Comment by HathawayNoa
    04:18 02/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow. So, is Narcissist the codename:v of Sankaku?

Comment by Anon
    00:46 03/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh god I had no idea koreans would be so easy to troll.

23:58 13/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Japan is the GREATEST nation in the earth no, the universe. In fact, putting it into words does not do its greatness any justice at all. Just submit to their greatness. The Koreans (GOOKS) ARE LIARS and less then human beneath pigs no ants. Anyone who disagrees should DIE a horrible death.

22:49 25/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You must be quite proud being a Japanese, huh?
    I can see that very well.

05:07 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow...my respect for Koreans just plummeted...hard...they're almost as pathetic as those Muslims now...(referring to that Muslim and Jojo controversy)

19:15 17/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

wow that must hurt for the other koreans that dont actually get involved. this is a very touchy subject to ponder over, i see that alot of ppl's opinions are generalizing korea as a whole, not just the gov-
    its like punching someone in a crowd.