Sony’s “Pocket Style” VAIO Type P: Sony Style

sonystyle-vaio-1

Sony’s latest portable is the “Pocket Style” Vaio Type P, which you can see rather optimistically illustrated above almost fitting into a pocket, in what Sony probably hopes is the latest fashion trend.

Their slogan is “The PC you can’t keep your hands off”; wags immediately added “(because it’ll fall out)”.

The online reaction has not been kind:

sonystyle-vaio-2

(Official)

sonystyle-vaio-3

(Official)

sonystyle-vaio-4
sonystyle-vaio-5
DVC00028.JPG

This is Sony Style (or possibly S**y Style). Will it catch on, like Aya Style has?

Via Hachimaki.

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    08:33 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

If they can make a PC that fits in your pants how come they cant make it so we can have lolis >__> I just dont get this world anymore D:

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    09:54 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

That was so full of win, really. Notice how the reaction pics didn't have a S**y in them at all? IBM, Mac and a Dell, but the Dell wins it.

Comment by 8子
    17:49 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=4GeWRqZHYEY&feature=hd [http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=4GeWRqZHYEY&feature=hd]

Comment by Jashin
    14:08 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can imagine stealing one from an idiot who puts it in his pocket the same way as the pic...

08:47 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I lol'd so hard on the last one

Comment by muteKi
    05:17 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd rather have a PSP with a touchscreen. Seems like that would work 100 times better.

Comment by TerrawindX2
    18:37 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They wouldn't do it until after they're satisfied that everyone has bought enough Sony PSPs. Then they would fuck everyone up by releasing the touchscreen version soon after that when they could have done it much sooner. Then everyone is forced to buy it despite already owning an older PSP.

Comment by Julius
    04:50 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

dugg.

Comment by Artefact

Thanks, we've still yet to manage the front page - many thanks to anyone who Diggs us.

05:53 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

rofl scrolling down was a great lulz

Comment by 4A4350
    06:52 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The last was absolutely hilarious.

Comment by Da_Nuke
    05:48 01/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I've done this with my Acer Aspire One and the pockets of my cargo pants :D

Comment by kenshinflyer
    01:57 09/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

They have to beat Panasonic's Toughbooks first. That is, if Sony has the balls to put one of these VAIO Ps on a lighted bunch of dynamite.

08:15 10/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Hm... Nice) And where's the sourse of the information?

05:46 27/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nice:) Thanks for the article

Comment by fatimmortal
    00:59 02/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Sexy, but I'd rather buy a notebook that would actually be big enough for me to read the worlds on the screen. O:

08:59 13/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd buy it if I had the cash. While it may not be pocket size it's still sexy for a netbook.

Comment by XSportSeeker
    15:47 12/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The funny part is: If it really was "pocketable", it would be useless... :P
    But Sony already does have a pocketable laptop, don't it?

Known as Sony U

Comment by Lafitte
    01:08 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lol
    my first chuckle of the day.

Comment by Ace
    01:07 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's interesting is the "Photoshop" tag added in this post.

Comment by Artefact

Please don't tell me you can't tell which is shopped...

Comment by Ace
    01:02 11/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Unfortunately, I can't tell which ones are shopped. The Macbook looks suspicious than the others though.

Comment by dmil666
    03:10 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can't tell which is shopped...

Comment by metatron
    01:05 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ROFLMAO @last image

XDDDDD

Comment by Edward
    01:14 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

IT'S A SONY

Comment by Zelgadis4tw
    09:47 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yer doin it wrong.

It's a S**y!

Comment by Geerie
    01:52 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

could be worse toshibas laptops exploded... wai that was sonys fault nevermind.

01:25 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I lol'ed at the last 3. xD

Comment by TerrawindX2
    01:40 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yeah, what's the possibility of falling victim to snatch thieves while carrying these things around in your jeans?

13:37 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

It's Japan. Fashionable men carry their giant wallets in their pockets like that everywhere. People leave their phones completely exposed in a side pocket of their bag. Nobody seems to give a crap about pickpockets...

Comment by Geerie
    01:49 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

im pretty sure you would notice something that large being pulled out jeans that small. also who the fuck would bring a laptop to place you know its going to get stolen at?

Comment by Birfhum
    03:18 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

On that matter, who the fuck would bring a laptop in their pockets?

Comment by TerrawindX2
    18:34 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Who the fuck would know when or where it's gonna get stolen?

There was a girl standing just outside college, getting ready to go in, and someone snatches away her purse. And why didn't anyone else help, including the guard standing nearby, I will never know.

By the way, just walking by the road is enough to fall victim. You'll know it when you hear a motorcycle coming right at you from behind.

Comment by TerrawindX2
    01:38 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I assume it's going to be a typing disaster. I own a Vaio CR; it looks sleek, stylish, and ergonomic, but the keyboard was absolute crap. Although it does muffle the typing sounds, but the keys were too flat and unfeeling on the board. I couldn't type a simple sentence without massive typos; most involving missing letters. I assume that the sensors in the keys are so bad that they can't detect keys that are pressed a fraction of a millisecond from each other. It can't detect simultaneous keys. It's a pain for those who type fast. Shame that my Vaio can't keep up with me; causing my documents to contain missing letters. Did I also mention that the keys are also too far apart and lacks much of that "pressure" feel when typing?

Also, even with a better graphics card than the standard issue Dell cards, there isn't much improvement in performance and graphics.

I regret purchasing a Vaio. If I had known that Vaio was more style than performance, I would have purchased a Lenovo or Acer. An article on Kotaku once mentioned about a Sony staff saying that Sony stuffs 10 year old computer parts into shiny shells.

And that was just the older CR. Now with a smaller laptop such as this; I had tried many mini laptops, and I can tell you that the typing experience was a complete disaster. Keys are always too small and too close to each other that you had to resort to the old school Typewriter two finger style to avoid typos. Couple that with crappy flat keyboard keys; it would be an epic fail.

And you are paying a high price for it. I'm not kidding. It's expensive and you're paying for crap. Unless you don't mind spending extra on portable foldable USB keyboards to go with it.

But I still want to buy that Pocket Vaio up there because it looks so damn awesome stylish and nice and I'm a fucking hypocrite.

03:59 26/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I really like the keyboard on my old (1998?) Vaio PCG-161L. This was a "netbook" before the netbook fad ever began. It's small, but the keys have a distinct, clicky-feel, and the eraser-head mouse means I don't have to take my hands off the keyboard.

Its hard drive failed about one month after the one-year warranty expired.

Okay... I looked for manuals for it, and found nothing.

No BIOS updates. (It'd be nice to be able to boot from USB CD, MemoryStick, etc., but noooo . . .)

I bought a PS2 because I'd read it had a Linux development kit offered by S**y; they yanked it off the market before I could buy it.

They brought us DRM'd CDs (with included rootkit)...

I'm never buying another S**y product. Their corporate practices are corrupt, and they're a bunch of arrogant, F**king D**ks. F**k 'em.

But hey, that's just my opinion. (Did I mention that I really like the keyboard on my PCG-161L?)

Comment by Sabotei
    01:37 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Now thats humour xD

Comment by linkinstreet
    01:02 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I lol'ed. EEE is still a better option. And it FITS in my pants

Comment by Shimu
    00:35 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Heh, I love the normal laptop & PC images xD

Comment by Arukard
    00:34 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL at the last picture

Comment by TheAndySan
    02:45 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Forget the server, where's the monitor?

"It's a S**y!"

23:16 06/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Just a monitor?

I could fit a whole TV in my back pocket

Comment by exia
    01:56 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

lols i wonder where u would fit the monitor on the last pic

Comment by Klibbnisse
    05:15 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The other pocket is free... I don't get your point...

=3

02:59 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

the monitor goes on the other pocket

Comment by Narcissist
    02:30 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Gotta love Vaio. The specs are always good, not spectacular though, and you know you will look hot with it.

I love when some isch-looking guys sits on the cafeteria with some disgusting IBM or Dell and I come there, pulling up my designer Vaio computer with the ingraved VAIO on the back being so dazzling that people can't keep their eyes of it (or me ;) ).

Comment by Azarius
    11:42 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree - without irony - that I prefer the classic style of a ThinkPad over the overly shiny Vaios.

I'm in fact writing from my ThinkPad T61p, which specs beats these of most laptops out there at the moment, by the way...

Comment by A.non.
    13:42 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I rather have a powerful computer that does not cost me an arm and a leg, instead of some mediocre machine that is little more than a fashion accesory.

08:17 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Nothing wrong with Dell, or IBM for the matter.

Comment by Artefact

People still buy S**y?

Comment by kenshinflyer
    01:46 09/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

But I'm sure that Sony VAIO will lose to any IBM Thinkpad in the endurance department. ThinkPads are performance monsters.

Comment by NO MEANS YES
    17:16 07/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Spoken like a true Narcissist

17:10 08/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm pretty sure Narcissist was making a play on his nick here. =/

On that note, I do think that anyone willing to pay 50%-100% extra for a 'designer brand' laptop is completely broken in the head.

19:12 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

USAVistor (Someday I should sign up)

"People still buy Thinkpads?"

Er, uh. yes.
    They're among the best PC notebooks to choose from. They are not quite as slick as HPaqs, SONY or Apple - but that can also be an opinion.

The new SL series is very slick, very nice and costs about $550USD with Core2Duo, 2GB, 15" screen.

Their IDEApads are more consumer friendly in terms of looks. Not as tough or expensive as the ThinkPad line.

As of today, I still recommend ThinkPad over most notebooks.

Comment by Jarmel
    20:41 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To be honest both brands pretty much suck.

Comment by BigHairyGuy
    04:21 10/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

People still buy Thinkpads? o.0

Comment by Artefact
    02:34 10/01/2009 # ! Astronomical

A ThinkPad is about a hundred times more gorgeous than any shiny Vaio...