Touhou Anime Animation Fail

touhou-anime-errors-4

The Touhou anime has proven a resounding success, much to the delight of many and the irritation of some, but it seems Maikaze were not quite as vigilant as we might hope in the production process, for we notice some fairly large errors, documented below.

Of course, nobody is seriously castigated the otherwise excellently produced doujin OVA on this account…

Reimu has at least six fingers, or else a terrible deformity in this still:

touhou-anime-errors-4

What is that thing attached to her wrist?

touhou-anime-errors-7

touhou-anime-errors-5

Some very strange  physics seem to affect the world of Touhou:

touhou-anime-errors-6
touhou-anime-errors-7

Notice the reflected fencing. Light does not work that way.

Discretion is the better part of valour, and it looks as if Maikaze opted to remove some of their less well drawn efforts, present in the trailer, in favour of tasteful silouettes:

touhou-anime-errors-1

touhou-anime-errors-8
touhou-anime-errors-2

touhou-anime-errors-9
touhou-anime-errors-3

touhou-anime-errors

You can see the errors for yourself in the anime below:
Part 1:

Part 2:

Errors or no errors, this is still a quality product which well deserves fan support.

Even commercial anime, manga and games suffer from such issues on a regular basis, so let us not be too harsh on them. Sometimes entire games get this treatment. Still, a little extra QC would not harm them.

This is brought to our attention by Ichiro Ino on our forums; check out the original thread.

Comment by Daredemoii
    06:43 04/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wikipedia Vol. III seems a little thin, don't you think?

Comment by Daisuke.exe
    15:46 05/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Come on, it was great.

Comment by trebors
    Comment by digitalboy
    12:56 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

animation and voices are fine, action was reallly good, but on the whole this was boring and poorly directed. Impressive, but not all at once.

Comment by Keigami
    10:43 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Can't expect commercial perfectionism in a doujin project. It's still a great accomplishment for any doujin project. This is the first doujin anime I've personally seen and was quite impressed.

Comment by metatron
    12:06 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

indeed kind sir.

Comment by SnooSnoo
    12:33 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

There's a glaring error with this scene. http://www.sankakucomplex.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-images-xiii/touhou-anime-errors-7.jpg
    No its not animation error.

It's the fact that Remilia is out in the day. And look at this http://www.sankakucomplex.com/wp-content/gallery/misc-images-xiii/touhou-anime-errors-5.jpg
    Windows? Scarlet Devil Mansion ain't got no windows as far as I know.

Comment by XSportSeeker
    15:50 05/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

If people are already looking for errors on it, I'd say it was a major success... even though I didn't watch it yet.

Comment by Kori
    16:23 05/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Those are errors which can't be spotted unless one goes checking on them frame by frame; which is totally pointless as it ruins the enjoyment of such quality work from a doujin group.
    Everything in the show is well done, but storyboard could need some minor tweaks.

23:15 03/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i think your just stupid the first problem is not a problem its(What is that thing attached to her wrist?) it probably just a rag... and about the light who gives a damn. things wont be pixel perfect just for you so just live with what u got. my saying is at least they made it, then not at all.

03:57 09/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

'What is that thing attached to her wrist?'.. What thing? i can't see anything

14:23 26/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

And the Videos Died With Prompt Haste
    Dang Youtube this post is still new
    But wow that screenshot what is with that hand.
    Not sure what I'm supposed to look at can someone explain the fencing is the shadow supposed to go the other way?

18:22 03/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Is there more than 1episode?I rly enjoyed this anime.Have figures but only one ep:( kamil0099@yahoo.com mail me for more info plz!

Comment by MGassailant
    05:09 17/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't get why ur so strict on a great "fan made" anime! Seriously, this isn't like created by BLEACH and Naruto producers so don't get so strict. In my opinion this is great and probably would get some what good ratings if this was a "REAL" anime

Comment by PantsuDorobou
    04:23 05/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I just rewatched it and the bit about Reimu having six fingers is not accurate. It's a trick of the angle.

After Suika runs off, Reimu moves her hand and if you look carefully, the "finger" turns out to be part of her palm.

10:23 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

give the makers a break, it's just fanmade don't expect to be flawless . . .

Comment by イチロ イノ (Ichiro Ino)
    22:25 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The background quality is really good, but after i paused the video and stared at the backgrounds...

I can see that it was made so simple
    It was the lighting effects that improved it

so I really AM learning...

Comment by Firo
    22:57 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Huge success!! No fail!1! Perfection!! XD

Well, there's nothing perfect... so please, stop bullying my Touhou T_T

Comment by Onsokumaru
    23:01 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh wow. Bawww more at the tiny little areas most people won't even notice.

Comment by antimateria
    22:04 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I think it was made to look like a fan production, even if they are really impressive too these days. That's one thing that made touhou such a huge succes in first place - nothing was official. Character design are made to look, well, rather bad to follow the original style but one can clearly see that animation quality is really high from the backgrounds.

Comment by Varion
    22:03 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'd love to have supported them if they'd brought more than half an hour's worth of copies to Comiket. It's almost like they didn't think anyone would want a good Touhou anime with professional voice actors.

Comment by ipood
    21:39 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

For professionals the voice-acting sounds so bland though. Makes me think voice-actors don't get the same pay everywhere and don't do their best when paid less?

Comment by sung gyu
    21:50 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

As you said, errors or no errors, I was tremendously impressed with the quality of this production.

21:53 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

as a whole it ain't bad at all ^^
    but ofc a beter quality check is recuired here
    always fun to spot imperfections.

Comment by Taco~
    05:45 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The characters designs have some errors but the background scenarios just great.
    But I have not rights to complaint because they did a hardwork making the animations.

Just work harder on the characters.
    be supportive. =)

Comment by イチロ イノ (Ichiro Ino)
    21:53 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I was disappointed but yet enlightened by that ghost character

I'm a learning animator, I learn by observing, seeing this fanmade anime made me more enthusiastic, so to study animation.

I was excited to see each scene so that I could study it for my project. so then I found these.

Error or not or whatever I saw, I still like this anime for I have learned alot

23:29 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

i notice about that "quality of quality" image..
    but still compared to sound holic ones this one is perfect
    or are you guys goin to compare it to kowarekake no orgol?
    ever heard.. if u dont like it then dont watch it? :x

extra qc? bullshit.. if u want an extra QC just make the anime yourself
    and then u would understand their pain..

Comment by ETERNAL
    23:49 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, I can't bring myself to complain considering that it's doujin to begin with, but there were definitely a few mistakes. Ah well, it's a step in the right direction anyhow.

Comment by Artefact

There seem to be some quite rabid Touhou defenders, especially considering it was repeatedly emphasised that these errors are entirely excusable and in no way mar the anime as a whole.

Comment by Atashi
    05:03 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I thought that the character animation job was pretty bad, though definitely expected for a doujin job. If the backgrounds are so gorgeous, why not spend a little less time on those and more on making the characters' hands not seem like puff balls and give everyone slightly smaller and more distinct eyes? Still, the project is better than Chinese cartoons.

Comment by iapfah
    06:40 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm pretty sure they were trying to keep some of the original art style, which had large, deformed hands and enormous eyes. Also, couldn't it be they have one person who's excellent at backgrounds and one person who's good at animating, but they're insufficient at the other's role? Talent is not interchangeable.

Comment by repure
    01:28 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

theres nothing to bitch about.. compare to what it really is that is.. only noobs not veterans could label this as FAIL..its like saying "hey why does cloud looks so s2pid and deformed on the PlayStation while he looks soooo awesome on the advent children movie??" uhhh..DuH?

Comment by Icy-nee-san
    01:15 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

To tell you the truth i though it would look way more horrible, but i barly noticed any of these problems

Comment by Tommy
    00:30 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The quality of the overall product is good but suffer of some minor errors that need to be corrected if can.

Comment by Solidarity
    00:43 03/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Impossible to complain about this, it's fan made, not a major studio. Anyone who dares to complain should be shot on sight.