New Code Geass Properties Hinted At

cc-assdujek3w2323.jpg

A recent quote from Sunrise has stirred up much controversy amongst Code Geass fans, as it suggests Sunrise’s desire to make another Geass project sometime in the future.

Given the series’ screenwriter previous hints that recently concluded Code Geass R2 would be the definite end of the storyline, many are left wondering what else could be produced?

img_1032045_22102323_0.jpg
There are already multiple translations of the pertinent quote from the January issue of Animedia magazine out there, but I will offer my own:

You have all shown us a lot of kind appreciation in making the DVDs and CDs so popular.

We were truly blessed to have such passionate fans…truly, thank you all.

Lelouch may have died (?) but Geass itself will not.

The show has just ended, yet we feel it might be a good idea to make something else.

In any case, we might be able to announce something in the near future…

Please note that the (?) following talk of Lelouch’s death is present in the original article…

Now, the quote clearly demonstrates the wishes of at least some at the Sunrise studio to continue the popular Geass franchise, but is certainly not a concrete confirmation of anything.

Given the the show’s screenwriter, Ichiro Okouchi, has strongly suggested in the past that the show’s second season, Code Geass R2, would conclude the storyline  and that there would be no 3rd season or OVA continuations, one has to wonder whether Okouchi was wrong or if the new project, if one is to be made, could be something that would not be a true continuation of the story?

A theatrical version (or series of theatrical versions) that would be a compact version of the series ala Macross: Do You Remember Love? would fit the bill, as it wouldn’t be a continuation of the storyline.

Indeed, a theatrical version or a OVA version focusing on past events of side characters (like Suzaku) appear to be the two most popular suggestions propagating throughout the Japanese blogosphere and bulletin boards.

Many also point out that since Lelouch is said to have apparently died, any new project couldn’t be a direct sequel to events of R2.

We might wonder whether the Code Geass franchise will ever fully conclude, given its obvious success? Sunrise cannot be keen to lose a new franchise with such potential due to something as trifling as an ending…

Comment by blabla
    10:08 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

WTF?? Geass is theater of one actor. Without Lelouch geass will be another gundam.
    p.s ALL HAIL LELOUCH!!!

Comment by - -
    13:13 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Will I be able to see zero do the suzaku's spinkick ??

Comment by kenjiharima
    19:41 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Code Geass needs to be an all girl anime.

06:21 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

if so at least leave lelouch and suzaku.

Comment by Azakcry
    18:18 29/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

may i remind you?i DO believe that lelouch is dead,but there are many loose ends like:C.C's Wish:to die,he didn't fullfill it but rather he kept his promise to C.C that he will make her smile after the end of the war,and as u all can see she is smiling(?)so the end is really better of un-discussed as we really dont know if he's dead or not.PEACE OUT
    ALL HAIL LELOUCH!!!!!

06:23 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

he will keep his promise because he's not dead! check youtube's code geass ep. 26 is lelouch dead? he's the driver!!!!!!!!!

05:55 27/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Yeah, we have seen this post of yours around 10 times now... I dont think we have missed it.

Comment by Kaioshin Sama
    05:12 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I really hope they never do make another one, not because I don't want anymore, but because I never want to have to see that much whining, bitching, trolling and bashing on the internet ever again.

I think there's a double standard here as far as selling out goes though and when you can consider a product sold out, but meh I doubt people actually really care since it's Code Geass after all. Though if they can come up with another story and make it interesting and something people want to watch then why should they not be allowed to tell it?

Comment by Kaioshin Sama
    05:23 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Let me put it another way. Western fandom never before came as close to being like the raving lunatic otaku you often find on 2ch having a bordeline nervous breakdown over a show that was meant to be fun as it did during Code Geass R2's airing and it should never be allowed to get that close ever again lest it actually end up staying that way next time. *shudders*

Comment by Quen
    20:00 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

While I doing the light research for this post I became a bit uneasy at the idea of a Geass continuation...

R2's open-ended finale should probably be left as it is, I think. As much as I loved Season 1, I'd be satisfied if R2 really is the end of the anime.

Comment by Zing Freelancer
    00:02 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Lelouch is not dead, even if they go and confirm that he is dead. Its a bit too late to do something like this after they already made an anime that clearly hints at him being alive.

Besides, he have not completed C.C. wish or we have not seen it happening. Go get some Lelouch is alive education http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=6836

Comment by Lambo
    09:21 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

this is the scene where I base my argument on...that is definetly Lelouch.
    People who still doubt that, go watch the last epi again.

Comment by JockeII
    02:10 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

The day I see an OVA related to the PATHETIC Suzaku or the DISGUSTING Nunnally or anything of the like, is the day I want to murder certain anime producers.

ALL HAIL LELOUCH

06:19 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

ALL HAIL LELOUCH!

01:42 24/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Whats with the nunnaly hate i wouldnt mind nightmare of nunally anime. Maybe cuz i like nunally :)

12:58 06/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

he he. hope its good. plus theirs a chance that lelouch hasnt died... i mean... it was just a tip or 2 and 1 very convincing video i saw in youtube but he might not be dead.

09:20 28/04/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

QB testing zone:
    /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

08:39 10/02/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I would love to see more Code Geass :D

I was fortunate enough to watch the entire two seasons in a marathon weekend session with friends. No waiting for the next episode, no being bombarded with spoilers/theories/etc... and it was a beautiful experience. We're all completely head over heels with the show, and I know I would be glad to watch anything the company wishes to provide.

The important question is, "What next?" and that hinges upon the truth of that question mark in all the news I've read: "Is Lelouch dead?" It is an interesting one. Though I'm satisfied with Lelouch dying for the betterment of humanity, everyone I watched it with wanted him to be alive at the end :D Lelouch is immortal? He's riding the cart with CC? He's opened up a pizza hut? There are lots of possibilities I'd love to see, and I have the utmost confidence in the writers behind this world.

The most important thing to consider in this 'debate' is that no amount of, "He's dead, Jim!" can stop a devoted fanbase :D

ALL HAIL LELOUCH! ALL HAIL CODE GEASS!

(There. I had to add that so someone could dismiss me as just another rabid fan.)

23:58 30/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What if Lelouch got C.C's code to fake his death?

Comment by Camario
    13:45 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Again, this is just what happened with Gundam or Macross, just on a much smaller scale.

Sequels or spin-offs or remakes are the easy route to take when you want more money from a franchise, even after the main story is over.

That said...if the product is alright and entertaining, I suppose it's good enough.

Comment by linkinstret
    13:35 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Need Kallen X Lelouch ending dammit D:

Comment by Zing Freelancer
    23:57 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Correct to say "Kallen x Zero" ending.

Comment by linkinstreet
    05:32 29/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually, I beg to differ. She has a crush on Zero, but by R2, she already differentiated Zero and Lelouch as two different personality. There was also an Newtype article about her in R2 (it was a talk with the staffs) where it was stated that she learned to love the real Lelouch vi Britannia, and she realised that when she kissed him. She felt betrayed when he choosen C.C. and Spinzaku ahead of him but mostly that was because he don't want her to die. I kinda love the line that tells what he thinks of her in the Code Geass Official Information book. IIRC it was along the line of "Live on for my dream" or something.

Comment by wonderlandecstasy
    11:17 26/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

No. LOL, omg no.
    The world will explode if Kallen is happy.

Comment by Roshi
    Comment by heavyoak
    13:46 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

what ever the new one is about, my only hope is that we see C.2 nude and having sex with at least one other girl.

14:44 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Lelouch is dead to the world.
    but L.L or R.R or whatever the hell he calls himself now lives!

19:45 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

He's dead, Jim.

Comment by Zing Freelancer
    23:59 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

He isnt dead if we want him to be alive.

Comment by Jarmel
    14:43 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Is anyone surprised? They can easily retcon the ending so Lelouch isn't dead and show some new problem in the world that requires his skill.

06:10 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

they kinda did. check out youtube's code geass ep. 26 is lelouch dead?

Comment by liangyinglee
    14:22 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, it might be possible that they would make a "prequel" to the original Code Geass events, showing how the Emperor came to power with geass?

16:27 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

he's too ugly to be the prequel

Comment by maru
    13:15 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Rebuild of Code Geass: You Must (Not) Rebel

Comment by Emcivy
    13:37 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Thats what I was thinking.

Comment by Fukiri
    Comment by SnooSnoo
    Comment by Heartless141
    12:34 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

i'd prefer bandai to make a game outta it =\, a decent fighting game that is

Comment by asianprostitute1500
    11:30 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

It would be nice to see something else, but I just don't want them to reap the storyline like so many other animes in the past, just to make more money. A theatrical version or OVAs would be nice I'd be okay with a third season as long as they actually try and don't just over milk it for more money.

Comment by metatron
    11:27 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL Sunrise

It looks like Bandai saw the profitability of Code Geass and they want more money.

Oh U Bandai and ur moneyhat XDD

11:18 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Nightmare of Nunnally!

It needs a series of its own anyway.

Unless Okouchi sold out. Then shame on him. Screw Rolo.

Comment by Zing Freelancer
    23:55 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

NoN is crap! It is not even original from what I heard.
    Hope they wont make a side universe, but rather continue to build and develop current.

Comment by jake
    13:58 03/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

code geass and the death note is more about stragedy then fighting and action

Comment by jake
    13:53 03/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

code geass is the 2nd best show i seen

Comment by Tomo-pyon
    Comment by SakuraAyanami
    20:40 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

My thought exactly. NoN is a piece of crap

11:42 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

God I hate Code Gayass. It's all a bunch of pandering Deathnote style shit to make money off teenagers who fantasize about controlling things cause they can't control their parents or the girl who likes them BAAAAW!

05:12 28/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

But...but I like controlling things cause its fun.

And I ain't no teenager.

I LOVED the Mind Control feature in the PsiOps game.

17:10 02/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

you cant hate code geass it is one of the best shows created you mother fucking fagot

06:06 16/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

screw you you bastard. code geass is one of the the best anime ever.

Comment by Onsokumaru
    12:19 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww