According to the results of a recent survey targeting young Japanese women, anime otaku are the second worst choice for a romance, being beaten out only by compulsive gamblers.
Surprisingly, less than 1% objected to PC and electronics otaku, whilst a mere 0.2% thought a movie otaku to be a poor choice.
The ranking is as follows:
1. He’ll use up all the money he’s earned!? Gambling otaku – 44%
2. He thinks 2D girls are moe… Anime/manga otaku – 21.8%
3. Purity is everything? (he’s into idols younger than himself) Idol otaku – 12%
4. They’re all no good! Any type of otaku is impossible! – 9%
5. He’s all about auras and the next world… Spiritual and fortune telling otaku – 6%
6. He brags about his motor! If he can’t get it, he collects models! Car otaku – 2.2%
7. He memorises train timetables, carries a camera everywhere… Train otaku – 1.4%
7. Any type of otaku is fine, it’s no problem! Otaku are OK – 1.4%
9. He queues for the latest model the day before release! PC/electronics otaku – 0.8%
10. He can accompany me to the cinema, and is a film buff… Movie otaku – 0.2%
The sample took in 500 working women aged 21-29, though those looking to question its results may at least take solace in the fact that though relatively generously sized, it does not appear to have been a truly random selection, targeting site users (which would presumably represent a skewed demographic).
Still, it is food for thought.
I suppose we might wonder at the motivation behind PC otaku (perhaps likely to be well paid) being nearly last, and poverty stricken pachinko maniacs being first (quite possibly poor, or in debt even). An ability to talk movies seems almost to be a plus.
Whatever the case, it appears all otaku are unlikely to be warmly received, and heaven forfend you have a taste for gambling or 2D girls… Combine this with a love of sukumizu and you may as well give up?