Kannagi Ceases Publication: Otaku Blamed

Kannagi Ceases Publication: Otaku Blamed

In a shocking and unexpected development, crazy shrine maiden manga Kannagi has ceased publication indefinitely. Fingers have instantly been pointed at the recent extreme actions of otaku “fans”.

The announcement, carried in the latest issue of ComicREX (where Kannagi is serialised), states that the health of mangaka 武梨えり/ Eri Takenashi is unsound, and so publication is to be suspended with immediate effect.

The magazine begs the forbearance of fans in awaiting further developments, but gives no timeframe for a resumption of publication, and gives no further information on what prompted the suspension.

Kannagi Ceases Publication: Otaku Blamed

Further details of publication are set to be published in ComicREX as they arise.

Since no specific reason for the “ill health” is given, speculation that this is related to the recent storm of criticism over the so-called “second-hand Nagi” issue is rife.

Some say that as the author is a lady, she may have been particularly upset over the recent fracas – whilst perhaps unfair, this does have at least a ring of truth to it. Certainly, with such maniacally excessive behaviour on display, few could fail to understand how the author might be affected.

Of course, there is the possibility of a genuine illness.

I am sure Kannagi fans will join me in wishing Takenashi a swift recovery from whatever ails her, and in cursing the wretched virgin hunting otaku who may be responsible. Let us hope Kannagi does not join the unhappy ranks of abandoned manga never to be resumed, or worse

Kannagi Ceases Publication: Otaku Blamed

Comment by Kusanagi
    09:35 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL Fucking otakus...
    I just hope mangaka doesn't stop Kannagi :<

Sales are good, and, stupid otakus like that one are a minory... (rigth....? lol)

So, let's hope Kannagi keeps going after a little break :)

09:42 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Fucking otaku's. If they don't fucking like it, why the fuck do they have to fucking ruin it for everyone else. FUCK!

Comment by SnooSnoo
    09:57 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

After some research and an incredibly dangerous espionage mission. I have found out that the true reason behind this shitstorm is due to otakus raging over the fact that someone like Nagi(not attractive, nothing special, according to them) is a non-virgin. While they(the otakus), who are handsome, smart, prince-charming-like couldn't get laid. What Japan needs to do is get a bunch of sluts and offer free sex to these people before they die from getting buried in their manga in the event of an earthquake.

Comment by Mechwarrior
    09:26 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Stupid dumbass 2channers. No wonder everyone wants to beat the crap out of otaku's. I feel like going to Japan just to punch one of em in the face.Ach!

Comment by Tommy
    10:10 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn! Why good anime become like this.. Let's just hope that the manga will continue on after this incident. Come on!

Comment by nonchalant_
    10:17 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Haha, yeah right. I Highly doubt it's because of the otaku.

- She really might be ill. I hope she gets well if she is.

- It might be because there's some internal problems with the author & the publisher (legal, financial etc). This might be a PR move.

@SnooSnoo
    I've read that incident happen to a manga collector. I think it happened a couple of years ago.

Comment by SnooSnoo
    10:28 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

It was a few months ago.....

Comment by Aza
    12:43 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Somehow I can see TYPE-MOON (Eri Takenashi is on good terms with them) trolling the virgin-loving fans in their future games.
    They already did quite nice with Sakura in Fate/Stay night (and hell, Saber is not a virgin either).

Comment by Cat Megex
    14:01 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

If I'm not mistaken, she's actually a staff member for TYPE-MOON, so yeah, she'd be on good terms with them. XD

Comment by Shuu
    11:33 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Seriously, Artefact. We need an account/membership system, and we need it FAST. Allowing anonymous comments was never a good idea to begin with. I suggest utilizing the channel accounts as a short term solution.

Comment by Artefact
    12:35 06/12/2008 # ! Incalculable

There is one (you're welcome to make an account as a few of the more cunning users have done), but what's the point? I'm completely comfortable with anonymous comments, and frankly the quality of anonymous comments is at least as high as the average persona based comments, if not higher.

The worst comments people make when they are defending a persona exceed the worst we see from anon, in my experience.

Of course, the extremely liberal moderation strategy I prefer is another issue entirely.

That said, this is something I am constantly evaluating, so a change is not out of the question, but I see no need at present.

Comment by Legacy
    12:45 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Artefact, you handle the Anonymous very well, and should be commended for that.

I think its a shame to see a popular series go, but with the fanaticism of its followers regarding both Nagi and issues concerning her, I think it might be a bit expected. I can only hope that this wasn't caused by a tragedy such as that of Hiromu Minato. That kind of thing is something I never want to read about again.

Hopefully she will resume the publication after the fanbase settles down a little.

Comment by Shuu
    23:43 07/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

There is? Where do I sign up then? I sure don't see a login button or similar anywhere around the site. Until now I was thinking that the orange user names just indicate that the commenter has left a url for his/her blog/homepage/whatever...

I'd have to agree that almost all anonymous comments so far (this news being the main exception?) have been of surprisingly high quality, it's just that trolls that don't even notice that they're trolls, like TheFluff a few dozen comments above, would have to account for their ignorance that way. But yeah, viewed with 2 days distance, it's not really that bad yet.

Comment by Artefact

It's hidden as there's not terribly much point in signing up.

The orange names do just indicate an url - the only difference when logged in is essentially that you do not have to enter your details into the comment form (though browsers usually do this automatically).

23:32 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well, registering does provide a way for someone to be accounted for their action, but it can be circumvented.

Besides, registering is such a pain.

I stopped caring for news like this a long time ago. Its so I don't get too disappointed if something bad happened. If I snapped, I'd probably make a sacrifice or two to punish those responsible.

Japan, its fucking weird.

11:17 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

otaku is such egoist fag!!
    THEY DONT CARE ABOUT MANGAKA, THEY ONLY CARE WHAT THEY CREATED!!

Comment by Zacharov
    10:55 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Judging from what I heard about the lifestyle of a mangaka, I am not surprised that she has fallen ill. She BETTER watch her health and get well soon! I still need my comedy fix!

08:53 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

....tsk... i hate those stupid fake otakus they could go burn in hell!!

Comment by Megaman0
    05:25 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Okay someone needs to pay for this...but how will this effect Kannagi? (if it goes past 13 eps).

05:33 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I don't think this will affect the anime..
    Looking from the development, Kannagi anime is full of jokes and parody in a good way.. Not like in the manga. The manga is more serious than anime IMO....

Comment by randomAnonymous
    05:36 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

the anime is set for 12/13 eps and maybe it will not even reach the half of the manga story.

Comment by Matteas
    07:09 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I think there could be a second season. But I can clearly imagine how those idiots are objecting to it.

18:03 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope so.. But looking from the situation, I think 2nd season Kannagi is impossible.....

Crazy Otakus are the one who's responsible.. Maybe we can't see the epicness of this series anymore because of them...

Comment by Tomo-pyon
    04:26 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

die 2ch, die.

Comment by randomAnonymous
    04:27 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

LOL HxH.

@Ryu.
    i agree with you, bro. shows like haruhi and lucky shit phenomenons had such an amount of blind fanboys that they would have gone crazy cheering on those just for the fact of doing it.

>>She is just a manga and anime character, does it really matter if she a virgin or not?
    why do you think people reads/watches kannagi, if not for "fantasies" about nagi??

Comment by Epsilon_013
    06:41 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

randomAnonymous.
    my opinion haruhi and lucky phenomenons happened because innovative opening and ending credit scene. Rarely you see character in some anime dancing like in haruhi ending credit. It's attractive. I'm not big fans of those but i still enjoyed watching and read them.
    I'm agree with you and Guardian of Ryu. there's no way to prove it she's virgin or not. What'll they do if they can prove that, right? marry her? that's really freaks mind of extremist otaku. lack of healty social-relationship

Comment by Aoshi
    07:30 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Small wonder i heard a collective groan gobbling up bandwidth like a tsunami on IRC last night.

Comment by Matteas
    06:54 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This is a really sad conclusion of the recent horrible fuss. Some people are just hopeless and impossible. The sad thing is also the fact that because of people like these, the reputation of otakus is deteriorating, even though it's just a minority that utters those bullshits, I think.

Comment by retsnom
    09:02 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Reputation of otakus? What reputation? I bet you're the type of person who would refer to yourself as an "otaku" just because you're a fan of Japanese related stuff. Check your facts, dude, the term otaku never was a good thing to begin with.

Comment by D4RK-PH0ENiX
    07:27 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

it not deteriorates. we just start to see the real otakuness. you now can feel why japanese society disliked them in the past.

anime/manga/japanese stuff lover is not an otaku. an otaku is an individum who lives and breaths his obsession. you can't do anything about people like these (extermination won't help. there will succumb others to neet lifestyle and eternal virginity)

Comment by Foton
    23:50 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Why do I have a feeling that your English tells me that you're...from Japan?

Comment by Lantis
    13:10 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

At seeing all this, simply wow~

I haven't watched/read Kannagi, yet, but I feel this.
    What I feel the most, is the fact of this actual otaku behavoiur. The base of an otaku is being a fan, and this is not how a fan must behave. I can understand if the mangaka feels depressed or just upset.

I think that this behavoiur is too hardcore.
    Japanase otakus are too hradcore for me xD

Anyway, ill or not, I wish the best for the mangaka.

17:29 10/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

that otaku who rippped the manga up is retarded.
    He should have given those books away to the nigerians who need fuel for their fires.
    What a douche bag

08:49 31/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope they learned their lesson. We won't tolerate sluts in our manga.

Comment by No Name
    20:31 04/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Ok, to those outrage otakus, stop day dreaming and raged over some fiction characters. They are non-existence afterall. It's not like the story in this fiction anime will affect the real world, damn. Wake up and get back to reality!

Well, how about put it this way: Nagi's ex-boyfriend was Jin as well. That should at least calm down those mindless freaks a lil bit. Her ex-bfriend(Jin) died in the wars century ago and she pregnant and died as well. She felt the pain of death and decided to protect the living with her love so she resided in a sacred tree and help those unfortunates who pray to her. She kept doing this until her vessel(sacred tree) was chopped down. By that time Jin has already reincarnate as a human so they have met again due to fate. Satisfied?

16:50 10/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is why we can't have nice things.

Comment by lolwut
    16:24 06/05/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This is why we can't have nice things...

22:00 09/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

The members of the Otaku subculture in Japan have carefully cultivated the popularity of a specific type of formula writing that caters to the fetish of reliving one's childhood over and over and over again... and all that entails. As a result, many excellent Seinen manga with thought-provoking plots that deviate from these established norms have been sidelined or ignored outright by the vast majority of potential fans despite their small and highly-dedicated cult followings.

Have you seen the way GUNNM and Berserk have been going, lately? Both started out as exceedingly-violent, very well-illustrated and well-written manga. Both have ended up dumbing-down their plots to cater to a wider audience, with the former currently caught up in an interminable fighting tournament and the latter adding cutesy characters like Schierke just to rake in the "bigger crowd". A damn shame, in my book.

Why can't they just let Manga authors tell the story they intended to create from the get-go? Why does everything need to stay within the boundaries of its genre? All these misguided fans are doing is stifling creativity and encouraging the same fetishized crap to be cranked out year after year, and I don't much care for that. I say let the woman ink whatever the heck she wants. It's her series. It doesn't belong to me or you and certainly not to the Otaku.

Comment by Artefact

I agree about the lack of originality - the endless school romance/comedies really do the medium a disservice at times, and certainly stifle a great many original works.

I'm a fan of both the manga you mention, and I agree to an extent - Puck & co. seem necessary in Berserk as otherwise the story can become highly oppressive, but GUNNM is taking things rather far...

The issue seems to be that mass popularity is required to keep the mangaka fed, and to employ their assistants.

16:43 08/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I sure hope she gets well soon for any illness, mental or physical. I want to find out whether or not Nagi really is a virgin. >_>

I'm with 2ch on this one; way to fuck up, otaku.

If Kannagi really ends up being cancelled, I'm hoping "fans" will learn their lesson and realize their faggotry ruins shit for everyone.

Comment by Blue Wizard
    22:02 08/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Good riddance.

23:18 07/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

stopping indefinitely without consent of the fans. wow. at least postponing the manga should have been the right word. Just because fans push you a little you just explode. Look what the berserk manga did. He said he want to play games. at least he got a moar sensible excuse.

02:17 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So its just one person? Thank god. Was about to lose my faith in otakus. Thats understandable, there are lots of crazy people out there, otaku or not. Many who are much more crazy.

Comment by I love U
    20:24 28/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

damn those fcking ohtakuns...
    if dun like it juz dun see it...

03:16 04/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Curse the virgin-hunting otaku!!!
    How could they ruin a great manga just because of their abnormal thinking?
    Hope Kannagi will continue someday......

Comment by mahou
    07:48 25/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fucking dipshits.
    damned otakus.
    who the fuck cares about damn virginity..

14:06 21/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

In the Indian epic that Kannagi was derived from, the heroine was married, but still revered as chaste. *shrug* Otaku need to do their homework before they explode over such a thing.

20:45 01/07/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I agree with the otaku (being one myself).

We tend to love innocent characters, and Nagi has that innocent air to her, of someone that has never been in a relationship so revealing that she's been married before is ''heartbreaking'' to us.

But I highly doubt that the manga has been discontinued because of that, there are always ways to work around it, like revealing that its a misunderstanding or something. Lets just wait and see what happens.

I also would like to add that my mentality is of a Japanese otaku and not a western one.

17:19 11/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

You like innocent characters? Don't you mean you like little girls you pervert

Comment by Onni
    19:34 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

"Kannagi has ceased publication indefinitely."
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Comment by Spoony Bard
    13:56 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Why? This is a sad day for all otaku-kind. T_T
    Stupid fanatics screwing over the rest of us.. There wasn't even any evidence that she wasn't a virgin! There are non-sexual relationships, I hope they realize..