Cosplay Kickboxer: “I Want To Be Strong Like Nanoha’s Vita”

Cosplay Kickboxer: “I Want To Be Strong Like Nanoha’s Vita”

Champion welter weight kickboxer and crossdressing otaku cosplay maniac Yuichiro Nagashima has vowed a KO for his next opponent, a Thai, proclaiming in true Haruhi fashion: “I have no interest in any ordinary Thai. What concerns me are aliens, people from the future, and ESPers. I’ll definitely destroy him.”

We hear he has no pugilist idols, but expresses a wish to “become a strong character like Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha’s Vita”, illustrated wielding her trademark hammer below:

Cosplay Kickboxer: “I Want To Be Strong Like Nanoha’s Vita”

Cosplay Kickboxer: “I Want To Be Strong Like Nanoha’s Vita”

He will be fighting in Deep Project Impact 2008, on the 22nd of December. A cosplay photo session is promised after he dispatches his opponent, though he refuses to reveal who he will be cosplaying; he drops hints however, and urges his fans to join him in full cosplay.

Via SportsNavi.

You can see something of his proclivities in these videos:

Read about his championship victory in the previous article if you missed it.

Comment by Gerey
    22:15 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Notice the tsukasa outfit he was wearing in the 2nd pic. Awesome. just awesome.

Comment by metatron
    01:46 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

as awesome as he is...pls. someone tell him to have some moderation in crossdressing

Comment by Virgin Otaku
    21:41 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This guy gets it, just like all the dudes (myself included) who play female characters in World of Warcraft.

One result of feminism is that there's an increasing imagery of 'girls kicking ass' (although there isn't an accompanying increase in compassionate male imagery). When packaged in the form of moe cute girls, it appeals even to the most diehard anti-feminist.

Recently I when I played this really pretty warlock character, she was invited to duels, invited to groups far more than a male character. Not to mention the flirting -- and I actually enjoyed flirting in a feminine fashion, with no shame whatsoever. I realized how much more power she had... because once you go beyond the physical, there is way more social power behind a female character. Maybe this WoW experience is reflected in real-life? (though I dare not try in RL lol)

Comment by FallsFromGrace
    05:40 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Odd thing though, while I also always play as a girl if the game allows, my daughter always plays as a guy

Comment by deathberry
    19:55 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

“I have no interest in any ordinary Thai"

FUCK YEAH YOU ARE THE BEST KICKBOXER EVAR!

Comment by raikentb
    13:04 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Awesome! (^_^)b

Comment by vanhoe
    15:55 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

gotta save this match vid for my brother, he loves boxing

Comment by Kibate
    03:05 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

damn, he looks like from Baki, now i know where baki got his weird style from

Comment by anon
    03:13 27/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

So, 'befriending' his opponents?

04:15 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Sorry if I'm not impressed. Denis Rodman married himself, in a wedding dress, this is incomparable. At least he's a champion kick boxer.

Comment by Takkun
    06:54 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Holy crap on the second vid! Fist of fury!

Does is matter if he cross-dresses? As long as it doesn't effect my life I see no difference. People are still people no matter what.

Anyway, I love thai boxing! Wish I had time to actual learn some.... Oh well, I'll just stick to anime!

Comment by hika
    06:21 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

looks like anime influence seeps deep into every job

Comment by Takkun
    06:49 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hurray for anime!!!!

Comment by Tyrenol
    06:43 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This guy should keep his dayjob as a kickboxer. Or. If he's going to cosplay; he should cosplay and NOT crossdress.

This reaks of Ifrit's vomit-enducing "Man-Haruhi."

Comment by Rev. Ragu
    07:35 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

What a man. Dude's got balls he has to drive around with two flatbed trucks. This guy has won the kumite of my heart. My hero, and he should be yours too.

Comment by Rev. Ragu
    07:46 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I didn't actually mean to reply to Tyrenol because his masculine insecurity isn't even worth mentioning. But I suppose I will just to clarify.

Comment by Tyrenol
    01:03 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

My balls are right here, where they should be. Where are yours? Or did I answer my own question?

Seriously, though. I don't care about what he did to get where he is now. Good for him; whatever.

The crossdressing is wrong. And to condone it is to ask for 20 more vomit-causing Man-Haruhies, Man-Fayes, ad naseum.

Comment by ArcheR
    15:37 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Damn, Ragu. I'm just speechless. I'm saving your comment somewhere. That's possibly the strongest argument I've ever seen. For anything. "Artificial construct"... Wow.

And seriously, Tyrenol. What is with you? I remember you played the homo card one time before.

Throwing my two cents into the well... Honestly, I understand where there can and should be a difference between men and women, but I've never been a fan of this rigid line that gets drawn by - as Ragu said - "sexually insecure alpha male types". They have to feel dominant, so they gravitate towards things 98% of women either don't do, won't do, can't do, or just aren't allowed to do.

The superiority complex just bothers me. Anything that doesn't fit this mold of perfect masculinity is labelled gay instantly.

Why so sensitive, guys? ...Did your balls fall off?*

(* That's a Joker/Dark Knight reference, for any trolls who think I'm insulting them.)

Comment by mickey
    03:49 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Wait, Ragu. So you're saying that because he's apparently "secure" enough to cosplay as a high school girl from a light novel, he's a man? Let me tell you about a real man: Joe Frazier. He was a true boxing great. Unlike Youichirou, he never resorted to trash talk before a match, and always strove to improve himself. Did he ever feel the need to cosplay or say anything that had xenophobic connotations? No, he didn't. He focused on doing what he did best-boxing. He followed the code of conduct, no matter what. He won a gold medal in boxing in the 1964 Olympics, when he was still 20, and went on to become the WBA heavyweight world champion in 1970. He never acted immature when opponents like Muhammad Ali personally insulted him, with scathing comments like "Joe Frazier is so ugly that when he cries, the tears turn around and go down the back of his head.". He honored boxing, the gentlemen's sport, and proved himself just by boxing, which is more than I can say for Youichirou. He was a true man.

And I find it rather amusing how you label boxers as "sexually insecure alpha male types". Really, did you really have to make such sweeping generalizations? There are many honorable and respectable men in the sport, but you chose to simply label them with a trite, unoriginal stereotype that implies your lack of understanding of this sport and how boxers should act.

Comment by Artefact

Isn't boxing notorious for match fixing, steroid use and womanising?

And isn't the established idol of boxing a certain Mr. Ali, whose fame in part stemmed from his bombastic insults towards his opponents?

Ideal and actuality seem far removed here.

Comment by mickey
    19:23 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

>Isn’t boxing notorious for match fixing, steroid use and womanising?

They're also rampant in other sports nowadays, such as baseball and marathon running. Boxing is not the only sport whose credibility has been undermined by amoral individuals who will stoop to any means to win and/or make money. Additionally, the ills that are present in boxing are not as abundant compared to the aforementioned sports.

>And isn’t the established idol of boxing a certain Mr. Ali, whose fame in part stemmed from his bombastic insults towards his opponents?

Muhammad Ali's behavior is not representative of all of the professional boxers out there, as men like Joe Frazier and George Foreman have proven. Additionally, he was lauded as one of the best boxers in history and got much of his fame from his victories and boxing skills. His harsh comments were downplayed by the media, and only the most ardent fans still remember them.

Comment by mickey
    18:20 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

>Are you really trying to make yourself outraged here by extruding things from my statement that I didn’t say?

What? Let's take a look at what you posted earlier, shall we?

"in an arena that attracts a whole lot of sexually insecure alpha male types"

You basically said that the majority of boxers are "sexually insecure alpha male types". I'm pretty sure that I didn't overinterpret your post.

>Are you denying that there’s a lot of sexually insecure alpha male types in the sport? Because uh, what?

No, there aren't. As a boxer myself, I can pretty much confirm this. The days of the "sexually insecure alpha male types" are long over.

>Have you seen anywhere where I say that everyone involved is a roided up ragehead with possible sublimated homosexual tendencies?

But did I ever say that that was what you said? No, I didn't.

>I don’t think it’s a bad thing to be a character and to buck convention, and I think there’s value in being yourself so forcefully, without shame and not caring what anyone else thinks. There’s more than one path to this nebulous and artificial concept of manhood.

There's a fine line between being your own character and just being shameless. As I've said before, boxing is commonly referred to as "the gentlemen's sport", and there are common standards of decency a boxer should always respect and follow. Cosplaying as a anime girl before a match is like competing in the Ryder Cup wearing only a tank top and shorts. It's blatantly shameless, and disrespectful of the spirit of the sport. And it just screams "look at me!". It's as if he's trying to attract publicity for doing something that's not even related to boxing. Many athletes have hobbies and interests similar to him, but at least they can be mature about it. And unlike him, they don't spout memes and use *chan language like the average /b/tard or 2channer.

>And “xenophobic connotations”? Man, you are just scrounging for reasons to put on the indignant act today.

What? An athlete should never make comments like that. They can trash talk, but bringing up someone's nationality? He's clearly crossed the line here.

"I have no interest in any ordinary Thai. What concerns me are aliens, people from the future, and ESPers. I’ll definitely destroy him.”

"I have no interest in any ordinary Thai."
    "I’ll definitely destroy him."

Considering his track record with Thai boxers, that's a pretty arrogant thing to say.

Comment by Kageryu
    09:10 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I'll say this. Ragu, I take your side, only because I find your views and arguments more akin to my own, however, I accept and understand the need to settle matters with my wang size as much as the next man.

But Tyrenol, really, how can you even come to this site and spout that kind of machismo bullshit...really, you say you got balls? They must not amount to much with how much you have to tell us about them. Youichiro's got a pair, as he can fight, talk trash, and do it all while doing the caramelldansen dance in Higurashi cosplay.

Comment by Rev. Ragu
    05:52 26/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Tyrenol, you have no balls. You're a shit poster and a failure, and if you had any balls you would actually be trying to address my points rather than sticking your fingers in your ears and humming the refrain "I'M A MAN I'M A MAN I'M A REAL MAN BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS". You can dish out the criticism to everyone and everything; but as soon as you start taking it, you skitter off and cower in your shell of self-delusion.

Mickey: Are you really trying to make yourself outraged here by extruding things from my statement that I didn't say? Are you denying that there's a lot of sexually insecure alpha male types in the sport? Because uh, what? Have you seen anywhere where I say that everyone involved is a roided up ragehead with possible sublimated homosexual tendencies? Because I didn't say that at all. I greatly respect athletics and I think that training your body and mind into the upper limits of human ability is a noble pursuit, and that there are all kinds of people that and reasons to get into a fighting sport. But there are a lot of sexually insecure alpha male types too.

Joe Frazier is a great guy, but you know, I don't think it's a bad thing to be a character and to buck convention, and I think there's value in being yourself so forcefully, without shame and not caring what anyone else thinks. There's more than one path to this nebulous and artificial concept of manhood.

And "xenophobic connotations"? Man, you are just scrounging for reasons to put on the indignant act today.

Comment by Rev. Ragu
    12:43 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I tell you that a guy who has worked his ass off to get where he is, a guy who isn't afraid to get a bit silly, do something for kicks, and subvert his social and gender role a little bit is admirable, particularly in an arena that attracts a whole lot of sexually insecure alpha male types, and you start talking about prison rape. You really do have some hang-ups, man.

Where did the homophobia come from, Tyrenol? No one is fucking anyone in the ass here. Why are you so threatened by this?

Comment by Tyrenol
    12:15 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I heard of guys who will knock other guys down; and then do them in the ass. And he does that in, and out, of prison.

But wow. Just wow. I'm stunned. It's considered true manhood to wear women's clothing out in public. And here I am; thinking that it's true manhood NOT to.

Tell ya what: I'll state this, "I Will Never Allow Myself To Get Raped In This Ass By Another Man." Meanwhile; I'll make the assumption that you, and those who condone the crossdressing of ugly guys, ~love~ when guys do you up the ass.

And we can all close our books, drink our wine, and consider this matter closed.

Comment by Tyrenol
    09:05 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well here's a question I would like to ask:

What's YOUR idea of being "masculine?" Since my idea of being masculine is such an alien concept?

Comment by Rev. Ragu
    10:54 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

It's an artificial construct from a time when the larger sex was counted on to hunt, protect his clan, and procreate whether by attracting a mate through a superior display of strength and aggressiveness or to ensure procreation by force. These ideas have followed us through history, have been co-opted by commercial interests to compartmentalize the population into demographics, and is of questionable value in the contemporary age (in fact, we could certainly do without a good deal of these social evolutionary holdovers, especially the whole "rape" thing)

This guy is true to himself. We'll never escape the fact that society wants us to act a particular way because we were born with a certain set of sex organs, but this guy has sweat and bled and fought himself into a lean, efficient human weapon, to compete with some of the strongest people in the world. As he embraces his gender role as a fighter he, at the same time, is secure enough with himself that he will dress up like a cartoon girl and smack talk his opponent with Haruhi Suzumiya quotes.

THAT is a man. Not a perennial faker, afraid of women, blaming his failures in life on cartoon shows, unwilling to admit that he's no better than the people he surrounds himself with.

Comment by Haesslich
    07:12 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

At least he's not overweight like Man-Faye.

Comment by FallsFromGrace
    09:26 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

What do you say if the kickboxer dressed as Haruhi asks if he's cute?

Comment by chiyochagi
    09:30 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

he's ready to take on the world!!

10:42 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Reminds me of the movie Beautiful Boxer, lol

Comment by MV
    11:27 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I sure as hell wouldn't want him to befriend me.

Comment by kadian1364
    10:39 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Dude!! This guy DESTROYS people! I especially like how his opponent just stumbled out of the picture in the last vid while the ref proclaims the otaku the winner.

He actually reminds me a bit of Dennis Rodman, and he started on one of the greatest NBA teams of all time. Whatever gets you goin', man.

Comment by Tommy
    09:58 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Is he serious about this?

Comment by maru
    09:31 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hahaha.. A very dedicated fan he is. Strangely, I don't really mind this guy crossdressing. Perhaps its the burning passion in him. I'm actually impressed by him, hes got the balls to actually cross-play and be proud of it.

Comment by Quen
    09:34 25/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Pure and utter Awesomeness. I'd root like a maniac for this guy if I was there at a match ^^