Cuckolded Otaku Desecrates Kannagi Over Virginity Issue

Cuckolded Otaku Desecrates Kannagi Over Virginity Issue

The incredible reaction from otaku upon learning that Kannagi’s flat chested goddess Nagi-sama had a boyfriend, and may in fact be “second-hand”, even when the manga still has not resolved the issue, continues to attract much attention.

The latest development is that some virgin obsessed wretch on 2ch has taken the extreme step of publically destroying his copies of the manga, in order to fully express his ire at being betrayed by his 2D wife.

Perhaps there is a need for formal divorce proceedings in cases like this after all?

Comment by GraceN
    16:30 17/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I though the ex boyfriend was pretty much a stock character, usually way cooler than the protagonist with the slight flaw that he's also usually a jerk.

Virginity issue is settled with the main girl often in a situation where she says 'but I haven't even...' on the understanding that sex is unlikley if you haven't even kissed the guy.

They also often ignore the main for a while on the ex's introduction, but then the ex turns into a jerk again.

This may well be a ploy for the girl to show 'yea, he's better than you in almost every way, but I choose you'

Comment by Lord Byegone
    08:03 17/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hubiera regalado ese manga en vez de dañarlo así!
    Ese idiota.. el acto de dañar algo y después mostrar lo dañado en busca de aprobación es propio de sádicos.
    Es muy posible que toda esta lloradera en torno a la virginidad de un personaje de dos dimensiones sea consecuencia del celibato involuntario de esta gente.
    La frustración que causa la soledad ya sea por no ser atractivos o por tener inseguridades explicaría el que se sientan traicionados en su “relación virtual” con Nagi.
    Me refiero a que han fracasado en la vida real en la búsqueda de una pareja y al haberse dado por vencidos en el mundo real, buscaron el alivio de esta necesidad por ser queridos en la fantasía y SORPRESA!, el personaje que amaban les fue “infiel virtualmente” xD
    Mi recomendación para estas personas es que asimilen la soledad. El estar solos no es malo ni tampoco mata a nadie, no todos llegaran a ser amados por otra persona por mucho que lo quieran y el buscar afecto en un personaje 2D es engañarse a si mismos. Por que la soledad para algunos puede ser su única compañera.
    El amor platónico es real, pero siempre será muy frágil.

Comment by XSportSeeker
    07:11 17/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I dunno which I find sadder: The fact that the guy will get this angry about the whole thing, or the fact that some people will take the opportunity to use as prejudice against Otaku, against japanese manga fans, or something like that.

You know, it's ONE guy. And while lots of people became pissed on this issue, they don't represent ALL Otakus, ALL japanese or anything like that.

It's so sad that there are lots of people who seems to just keep waiting for news like these just to turn the news in some japanese bashing session or something.

About the case, I think it deserves a deeper reflection. Because I'm pretty shure a reaction like that wouldn't be this much criticized if it was about someone smashing their DVDs because a TV series didn't work as they were expecting.

Comment by unico
    19:32 19/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

no one is saying "ALL"
    so dont go on the defensive.

but it is a fact that the most eccentric fanatics are the ones that stand out.

i dont like Otaku. the ones i have seen are just not nice people. and its seeing that specific side, is what stopped me from becoming one and i am glad about that.

Japanese Otaku certainly act very different from Otaku from other parts of the world. there is no denying that. even in Japan, Otaku are not highly liked.

people are allowed to have their opinions, and i dont see much people being prejudice at the Japaneses, just the Fanatic side of its culture.
    it works like that no matter what part of the world you live in.

besides all that
    this is funny, and if people are going to display themselves over the net about a fictional character, others are going to take notice and laugh.

Comment by FAIL
    22:15 19/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Just another "Excessively-Obsessed-Otaku" who makes us, otaku in general, and the anime/manga industry look bad. Somehow, I think (and you would agree) that he has lost touch with reality... This is disturbing, yet EPIC LOL at the same time...

Comment by Miusu
    23:32 05/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

jeez how stupid can they get.

first marriage: every character would be married 1000s of times as lots of otakus around.

Second, they are probably the ones who buy the most H-doujinshis anyhow.

Third: the COPYRIGHT of the character is with the mangaka so even if the law *rofl* passed, they still could not get married.

Fourth: next anime convention with lots of H-doujinshi of various loli-charas 'WTH ARE U DOING WITH NAKED PICS OF MY WIFE?!'

Fifth: no girl in their right mind would want a guy like that as husband

Comment by Kaishe
    16:27 03/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

...He couldn't give it to me? HE COULDN'T F**KING GIVE IT TO ME?! Ahh man, and I mean really though, if you that obsessed with a character...couldn't you just be ignorant and act like that chapter or ex never existed? I mean if people could deny the fact that a Tsukihime was never animated I'm pretty sure you can blank out a character from a series easily.

Comment by Foton
    14:43 30/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

again, what can you expect from the country with the highest percentage of sexually-frustrated youth in the world?

What do you think is even fueling the animanga/eroge industry over the years anyway?

Comment by Onni
    00:39 29/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

People need to stop attacking non-virgins because they cannot get laid themselves.

I like Nagi twice as much now that I know she's NOT a virgin! If that's even possible(I loved Nagi so much to begin with).

You know what's REALLY creepy? The idea of her being that old and NOT being virgin.

Comment by Deranged
    15:29 29/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This is going a bit far isn't it?

Bet, this is a copy bought specifically for showing off the remains. It is weird how big a deal this is.

09:04 08/09/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

Nope, stuff like this is done a lot.

When Aya Hirano got a boyfriend, she was sent death threats and people broke her CDs and shit.

I'm an otaku myself, and I understand obsession with cute girls both real and fictional, but when you're so delusional that you get piss off when a girl YOU WOULD NEVER HAVE A CHANCE WITH/CAN'T HAVE A CHANCE WITH has a boyfriend, you need help.

Also, use your imagination and just pretend he doesn't exist, god.

Comment by kenjiharima
    14:01 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

That reaction is crazy...too much anime and manga leads to these things I tell ya. Be glad there's work and real life. Also I suggest for authors they start explaining, ending and writing stories better to avoid fan flames and bashes. Japanese otaku fans are very passionate about these stuff x the hardcore comic readers in the U.S.

Comment by Lantis
    16:36 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

*sigh* And, again, my otaku pride gets dissapointed. There's always people who make a bad image of the rest, but this is getting too excessive. I think a new apelative needs to be created for people like this one.

Comment by NeoXorn
    12:53 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hahahahahaha!

What a LOSER!!!

This is why Otakus don't get respect. that guy needs help.

Comment by metatron
    12:24 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

This is just so sad...

Comment by DemonLordShugo
    11:50 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Somebody call Onizuka to beat the crap out of these guys!! (If only he was real...., sigh)

Comment by Seravy
    20:17 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

In case his fantasy is good enough to treat a 2D girl his wife, why can't he just say to himself "Yes, that could have happened...but fortunately I took her before she met that guy, so it didn't." And with that, problem solved. Besides...there are about 4643245 other guys out there in the real world who think the same. If he doesn't care about them, why that one in the anime. The girl in your fantasy is always yours and yours alone. The one in the anime is just a copy of her. No matter what happens to her anime version, what you believe is what matters. Afterall the anime is not real. You and your thoughts are, for yourself at least.

Comment by Darkoneko
    20:26 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

it's the manga version, not the anime one ^^ (too early in the anime for that to be even a remote possibility)

Comment by Darknemo2000
    23:50 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I dont think it is just about the virginity... there are more things in the m (Nagi 'using' Jin and what is more going of to her ex-lover in the middle of her date with Jin and so on.).

Also not forget about goddess, their power comes from purity (the demi-goddess, that protects sacred objects etc) so if she is nota virgin it comes as a shick from culural standpoint because the in myth's not a virgin demi-goddess either becomes evil or looses her powers.

Well again she could be a virgin anyway as simply having a lover doesn't mean having sex.

But for raged otakus it does not matter I guess...

The sad part that it actually influence manga - during the month that we will vait for the issue to start be resolved, Nagi will become more or less slut0girl and we probably see an increased amount of her H pics... Not to mention that the sell rates of the manga can drop (and are likely to) as well.

Sad.

Comment by Artefact

Actually there are a great many powerful non-virgin godesses, such as the Japanese Izanami or the Greek Gaia, amongst many others.

If anything their power generally stems from generative potential, and it is only in anti-sexual religions such as Christianity that we see virginity given such emphasis...

Comment by thenightsshadow
    06:09 17/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Rather, it's not that Christianity is anti-sexual but just set in guidelines usually not found elsewhere. Of course, about half of those are hypocrites, doing it anyways.

Comment by alex1_phang3
    22:42 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh, I just noticed, the cover the manga looked sooo nice ~ . . .

Now I want the manga T^T dont tear it up!!!

Comment by alex1_phang3
    22:32 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

If I were to express my rage, I'd make a video of me tearing those manga apart and burning them . . .

So yeah, having a boyfriend doesnt mean she already had sex with him . . .

Personally, I think this might really be the cause of Nagi using Jin as I heard . . . or is it the facial expression when she met her EX-boyfriend . . . (+the line of course)

Comment by Kaioshin Sama
    20:55 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I think what strikes me the most about all of this is that the Western anime community is edging closer to this level of immaturity and snap decision making and doesn't even seem to realize it. To me this situation is no different then what happens with the type of fan who freaks out and starts calling a show a trainwreck over something totally minor and insignificant that is usually just a show following it's own course.

It's pretty easy to mock the 2ch community and frankly they deserve it in this case, but I kind of hope (probably in vain) that this will serve as a wake up call for all of us english speakers. Sometimes shows or characters don't unfold exactly as we want them to, but that's just tough shit and if a person can't see past their own preconceptions then perhaps they need to ask themselves if they should be looking into a new hobby.

00:46 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

stupid reaction lol

22:18 13/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

mangaka wrong move .. angering otaku will hurt their business

Comment by Junkujanai
    22:43 18/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Not anymore.
    100 yen is a lot closer to 1 usd than it is to aud. Also, an australian dollar is actually only worth 71 american cents.

22:20 13/09/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

This whole controversial issue started from the latest story development of Kannagi. Apparently, one of the new character in the manga turned out to be the former lover" of Nagi. The problematic content doesn't really say more than that, but some people started to discuss how far Nagi could have gone with this guy, and hence, the theory of "Nagi is not a virgin."

I myself, wasn't following the latest chapter, so can't say if this is convincing argument or not, but I have to say, this is an interesting development (no, not the story but the situation). I mean, this is one of the most popular series this season. At the same time, one of the show that's using the charm of the character to sell the show. So, if such an issue like above arises, it could be quite devestating blow to the sale. From the looks of it, "boyfriend" part looks pretty solid. I'm not sure what the editors of the manga thinking, cuz it is obvious that many fans of the series would be compelled by this type of development (unless this development was to trick the readers;;;). Especially after a great start of the anime, why let this story develop right now? Let's face it. Guys don't want their fantasy idol to have a "lover" let alone "lost virginity". Another problem seems to be the fact that this new character is apparently not so likable. (Also, it seems like the main character was started to develop feelings for Nagi) I also am having a bit of an issue with this problem. Nagi is supposed to be "God". She always was protrayed as god, and yet, suddenly, such a human like development.... You go tell all the AMG fans that Belldandy is actually not a virgin, AMG sales will drop more than 50%, I tell you. Anyways, it will be interesting to see the dvd sale after this (also the TV ratings).

05:57 31/12/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

I can partly understand his irritation and reaction, but I wouldn't probably go as far myself.

08:59 08/09/2012 # ! Neutral (0)

HA! That guy fails! Everyone knows if your waifu has a boyfriend, YOU STEAL HER AWAY FROM THAT MOTHER FUCKER.

03:36 31/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Guys, I have confirmed my guess. The truth is that our Nagi is just a HOST of KANNAGI spirit. It is certain that Zange was referring to Ozuma as Kannagi's lover, and not Nagi. If she said (chapter 36, page 5) that Kannagi is influenced by her HOST, that could only mean one thing - no matter did Kannagi-spirit have any sexual relations with Ozuma or not, though the very idea of spirit love is too hard to imagine, they are not Greek gods, - Nagi by herself is innocent girl. It was revealed that not only Zange has Hakua as her host, but Kannagi has one too, and this one is Nagi.

I know that sounds strange considering the two facts: 1) Nagi hatched from wooden statue; 2) Jin met her in the same appearance when he was a kid.

But! Ozuma asked ger when she was turning into "bad" form, is it her wish or wish of her host. No matter how the "hatching" and the rest will be explained, I can assure you, my comrades, that our Nagi as human is not "second-hand". So please, don't tear up manga and let's pray for Eri to fully recover and finish Kannagi ASAP!

18:46 16/06/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

The guy has no life -.- come on its just a drawn story nothing to be obsessed about ....

10:11 18/12/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

....when i first heard about the teory of Nagi not being a virgin, i kinda freaked out.. but i didn't get angry or anything, and i certainly will not stop reading it.. even though i might not enjoy reading it as much as i did if i find out that she is in fact not a virgin. ive decided to try finding the "truth" so i will read on till the manga ends. however i personally believe that it is highly unlikely that Nagi is not a virgin.. there's no proof at all that she is not, and having seen similar situations in manga prob over 20-30 times i can say by experience that they've prob not gone longer than kissing..in fact there is a very high chance that they haven't even done that.. and regarding Jin being used as a substitute.. that might actually be true.. but that will change rather quickly, she will cetainly end up with Jin, no matter what feelings she has for Ozuma, after so many years and after meeting Jin those feelings prob aren't even 1/3 as strong as they might have been.. so there's practically no reason at all for people too be worried about this... and the mangaka prob knows what would happen if she doesn't do something too calm down those crazies (sorry bout that but it is true) that rage all over the forums etc. and it will of course reduce sales quite a lot, so she (or the editors does) prob decides that Nagi is a virgin too keep up the popularity of the manga (and anime) and calm down the masses. so all those of you that is deeply distressed about the recent developement.. don't worry so much (and please don't rage). and btw the chances that the mangaka is reading this is also quite high.. so all those of you that is deeply distressed about this recent developement.. don't worry so much (and please don't rage) as it would certainly work out in your favour in the end.. ;)

Comment by Tanathip
    21:56 25/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Oh yeah, I forgot. Don't misunderstand, I'm telling this to some otakus, of course, there're good otas, but I'm talking to the ones causing trobue, alright?

05:16 19/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

God Nagi is such a slut, I am glad I didn't waste any money on her...

Comment by candycanw FLAWS
    13:00 10/06/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

fail!troll is fail.

Comment by Neo X Alucard
    17:25 13/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

HA ha ha ha ha ha! LOL! OMG what a loser!

Comment by Krunk
    15:24 14/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Seeing this makes me think it's intentional. They get all their fans to trash and throw away their Kannagi related belongings (mangas, toys, etc.)

Later on, they reveal that she is indeed not "second handed", and they go and rebuy all the stuff they threw away, which translates to $$$ for them.

Comment by Hitoshura
    03:08 08/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

The amount of irony contained in the posts here is absurd. There is no such thing as giving "otaku" a bad impression/fame/etc. Not to be these annoying purists (like the guy talking about the geishas), but otaku implies a bad reputation already. What all "otaku" mean is that you don't want people thinking that every mentally healthy person who enjoys the best of Japanese animation/manga/etc is like these guys. I also find hypocritical to say they give you a bad reputation just for acting ridiculously in a different way. All these extreme extroverted but "normal" western persons aren't really that better for the breaking the stereotypes normally associated with people who watch "anime". What you want is that people understand there are persons who can enjoy greatly anime/japanese pop culture/etc while not being a "retard"/"loser", in all its many connotative meanings.

Also, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I still find the posts/whole situation ironic...

P.S.: Excuse my English, I'm not a native speaker.

Comment by Tanathip
    21:53 25/03/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Jeez, if you don't like the series, just don't read it. I don't really understand otakus, because I'm not one. I can understand fans of certain series (that's normal) but you know, because the character isn't virgin, it doesn't matter to you otakus, doesn't it? You cannot perform sexual things with it, can you? (You can but you'll get electrocuted by the PC or TV, or screw through paper, anyway.) It matters how you like the story, not the virginity. Maybe one day scientists can create A.Is from animation character, huh? That might be something you otakus can marry with. That'll sell good. But before that time, try not to cause others trouble. No I'll have to find some new good comics yet again, oh.

Comment by Mikiway
    23:14 25/02/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What is this 2ch anyway? It's been a while since I started to read Sankaku Complex and now everytime 2ch is mentionned, I can't help but expect the worse.

It's been said already but it's pathetic.

Furthermore, having a virgin girlfriend is not necessarily exciting, when the girl is real. Rather annoying.
    M.

07:48 19/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Anyway, say which one is more "pure": A girl who might have had sex with her ex-boyfriend or an otaku that can fap to prepubescent girls getting anally raped by tentacles?

I hate the concept of sex being dirty anyway, it's way more innocent and beautiful than a generic otaku's thoughts. :P

Comment by nanashi
    09:39 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

maybe one more reason is the fact based on the story. A goddess that was devirginized - maybe looking at a cultural stand of point - the conservative side of the japanese otakus enrage the fact of divinity gone indivine acts or perhaps too early for their own crazy thinking.. LOlz

Comment by Kageryu
    09:37 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

What's wrong with second hand anyway? That's like saying leftovers are bad too, KUROI NANAKO IS NOT A LEFT OVER!!! PEOPLE STILL WANT HER!!!

Sorry, but I found a connection.

Comment by Darkoneko
    20:23 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Well technically, she's single and there have been no mention of previous BF (at least in the anime)

Comment by Cootiio
    23:51 15/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Ive been wondering about the psychology of these otakus since I saw the 1st article about this here. If I may:

This is all about possession. It is a very masculine psychological trait; men want to posses and dominate the women around them. We man are able to control this impulse with intellect, but we are ultimately still animals and this side does sometimes win out in us.

A girl's/woman's virginity is the ultimate form of possession (in a man's mind). This is something that a man can take and it can only be taken once. It can never be "untaken", and thus a man will always feel some level of ownership of that woman for the rest of his life. You ever wonder why blood streaming from between a young woman's legs is such a popular meme in Japanese porn? Virgins certainly aren't any good at sex I can tell you that much.

This explains the horror otakus felt upon learning of her defloration(maybe?): she does not and cannot belong to them.

Side Note- the trashing of his mangas is further evidence of this betrayal. He no longer feels he can possess nagi and thus owning the mangas is pointless.

Comment by Artefact

Insightful.

This psychology seems to underlie idols in general.

Of course this is rather universal, but specifically in Japanese culture, there is plenty of tradition in this area - for example, it used to be an expensive privilege to buy the opportunity to have first crack at a virgin geisha.

13:35 16/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Actually Geisha aren't and weren't prostitutes. That's a misguided "western world" assumption. In Japan they actually had prostitute for prostitution. Geisha are merely entertainers.

Try reading more then just "Memoirs of a Geisha" before you think you know something.

Comment by elc
    07:41 26/04/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

what artefact says is actually true, anyone that has taken ANY world history class that covers midevil japan in some way will make that clear... geisha are "entertainers" the same way any other prostitute is an "entertainer", though their culture it different, where geisha usually have an attitude of dominance over her "customers", and the shows and dancing and crap are just for more business.

basically most geisha are trained to be stuck up egotistical women, but never reveal that side to the customers, it helps motivate them to do their work i guess...

Comment by Artefact

Romanticised rubbish. Geisha were/are at the top end of a spectrum of entertainers/prostitutes stretching all the way down to common street walkers. The fact that their services were never advertised is an indication of just how exclusive they were.

Comment by Virgin Otaku
    05:44 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Bingo.

And it's only natural, since that means the offspring of the possessed female is his offspring.

Back in the day marriage was the possession of a woman's sexuality and the fruits thereof. That's why the children of old divorce stayed with the father, because they were the 'fruits thereof'. Feminists attacked that concept to revise the law, and now men are not marrying.

Of course now we have DNA tests so men don't have to be so anal about what their women do.

The upside of the whole 'possession' concept is that men whose women make it clear they 'belong' to their men report that they have less wandering eyes and are less attracted to beautiful strangers -- in other words feel more faithful --, because they are very satisfied with the women who belong to them as opposed to women who do not. It's like the difference between driving a car you own and one you don't -- you tend to treat the rental car like shit since you know you can offload it anytime.