“Second-hand” Nagi Provokes Otaku Storm

kannagiero-35.jpg

The revelation that flat goddess Nagi-sama, of Kannagi, had a boyfriend and thus may not in fact be a virgin has provoked a storm of outrage on 2ch, with obsessive fans vowing to throw out their manga, cancel their dakimakura orders, etc. Otaku viciously proclaim they have no need of a “second-hand” wife.

Others hold this to be the era of Zange-chan, available for a mere ¥100 a go

The problem stems from a few lines in the latest chapter:

“Second-hand” Nagi Provokes Otaku Storm

There’s no need to go into spoiling detail on the rest (not that there really is any).

Their histrionics are seen as all the more ridiculous considering no actual allusion to sex has even been made, just the introduction of an “ex-boyfriend character”.

It is also noted that those complaining are the main audience for all manner of interesting doujin works

About the only worthwhile point raised is that the timing of such a revelation (if indeed it is such, and not merely the obsessive ravings of a thousand NEET virgin hunters) seems odd, given that it arrives just in time to coincide with the DVD release and therefore have a deleterious effect on sales, assuming such otaku are numerous enough to have an impact. Possibly there is some mistake?

You can read the relevant portions of the thread here.

Perhaps these wretches would like to file for a virtual divorce?

Comment by insert name
    02:32 11/11/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

"see your gfriend having sex with another with another guy."

Thats exactly what I was thinking.
    I'm still not able to dislike her, but it somehow rly makes me sad. D:

It was the same with Kohaku and Sakura.
    But I guess I was more disturbed about the fact that the poor girls were being raeped when they were young...

Well, for me there is no need for a 2D girl being not a virgin. Just makes you feeling down. xD

@KonW
    I think she was a virgin. There is blood when she slept with Shirou the first time. Though she says afterwards "I know how to make a man happy."...

Comment by KonW
    18:43 11/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

OK,although i remember it clearly ,still, i searched out my disk, fortunately with my savedata still alive, loaded into the game, and SCRUTINIZED(lol) the scene cg/pic again.
    there was definitely NO blood. or is it that i'm not hardened enough to find it?lol

ok, this topic ends here.
    lol

Comment by Manx
    20:28 25/01/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

No, Saber was definitely deflowered.

The mosaic hides most of the details (like it usually does), but there is a thick streak of dark red blood visible just beneath it.

Her comment about knowing how to "please a man" really doesn't have to mean anything other than that she knows the technicalities of sex.

Yeah, I know - I just had to defend her honor. :P

Comment by marids
    11:55 06/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

good job man, even I support saber when I found out that she wasn't mentally a virgin. that to me only meant extra experience while being real virgin, which is FTW.

Comment by AsakuraZero
    03:21 11/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

artefact get a forum.

on topic... wtf! this putting the humanity in shame =( how low can people get.

still this made me lol

Comment by Artefact

Maybe time to look into that. There's one on the Channel, but it isn't very fully featured...

Comment by AsakuraZero
    10:09 11/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

im commenting it because this comment section became a discussion more than comments

Comment by Anonymous of /a/
    03:27 11/11/2008 # ! Neutral (+0.2)

I thought all the rage came not from the fact that she had a boyfriend, but because she was using a pure boy romanticaly interested in her to work for the desires of his ex, who is, btw, a fucking god of impurities (lol, some people still think that there is a chance she's still a virgin...), and a total ass.

Comment by Onni
    00:49 29/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Yay, Nagi-sama has gotten laid, unlike the pathetic virgin fucks who have made a big deal out of this.

05:48 01/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Wow, both side is pretty pathetic. Personally, I would rather like her stay clean but if that's not the case, there should not be an outrage over it. The other side is pretty pathetic too. Because someone wants their idol to be clean does not mean that it's because they want to screw her.

Personally I believe in sex afte marriage but who knows, he might be someone who she actually cares about so stop freakin calling her a slut or a whore already.

Comment by Hahaha
    16:21 27/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Interesting twist, i'm not mad at the fact not nagi may not be a virgin, but of the fact that jin basically got used.

Comment by kenjiharima
    05:21 21/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Maybe this will teach the manga writers to keep the girls in there story fresh virgins. lol.

Comment by unico
    11:58 22/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Manga-ka should not be threatened over something trivial and especially threatened to change their work.
    Actually this should apply to novelist and comicbook creators in general.

Jaded fans thinking they have the rights to someones creation. Those types are pitiful and dangerous.

Comment by Kabayongtao
    04:11 09/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

well said.

Comment by Faker Faux
    16:17 23/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Nagi and her ex-boyfriend

The latest chapter that clarifies everything

Courtesy of Faker Faux Escanlation xD

Comment by tyciol
    14:55 02/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

double rofl

02:07 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

eastern fail as an individual

Comment by Guynamedmystery
    03:03 06/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

well i understand where there coming from i guess, theres probably more to their argument anyways.

the show does over stimulate her innocence to death

kind of makes it hard for otaku who had genuinely 'love' for her character, to find out shes wearing the scarlet kanji.

06:38 18/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I notice a lot of the type of misogyny among Otaku from both sides of the world. Even on English speaking image board, while they don't make such a big deal about a fictional character, they still loudly insult any woman who they deem to be "slutty" even if when they are perfectly normal. This anger is mainly rooted in their frustration and anger due to the fact that they all know that they will never ever be with a woman, even if they where alive for a thousand years like Kannagi has.

Plus, I would feel sorry for kannagi if she really where a virgin, over 1000 years of life and no sex at all? thats too dull an existence to contemplate. Otaku need to understand that no woman will ever be willing to sty pure for that long just so they can please some geeky loser. They need to learn that the only way they can ever have sex or get married would be if they meet a woman who is very easy and or desperate. That, or change their attitude severely, get a real social life and stop judging fictional women so harshly.

I personally think that making Kannagi a non-virgin is a very good move on the part of the Manga-Ka. It differs from what one would expect of that character and it is a plot twist that has never been done before an original idea, and most mange these days are truly lacking in originality. Now I know why, Otaku send death threats to anyone who dares write something that goes against their ridiculous status quo.

Comment by Neo X Alucard
    17:27 13/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

HA ha hahahaha and LOL well back to reality.

Comment by Daisuke
    12:31 07/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

hahaha, this explains those comments of "Pre-owned waifu" I read a month ago back when I got into Kannagi with watching the OP

I thought they were just trolling around at first

but still

it's a fictional character

people need t calm down here

Comment by EmO
    00:54 12/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Man~~~

What the hell is this?

Just because Nagi had a boyfriend before, it doesn't mean that she HAD SEX with him, right? I mean.. Seriously... I think their brain is already messy.. So fucking stupid retarded...

I really love Nagi so that's why I really hate otakus who thinks that she's not a virgin anymore.. IT'S NOT OFFICIAL, DAMMIT!!!

Comment by Artefact
    00:57 12/11/2008 # ! Incalculable

I think you're missing the point. The issue at hand is all the maniacs who obsess over the virginity of Nagi-sama...

Comment by Virgin Otaku
    23:19 11/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Hi,

I'm a virgin otaku and some of the comments made are broad generalizations.

I don't mind non-virgin waifu, because deflowering is violent and bloody and I don't want to do that to someone I love.

If only lady don't insist on having grand church weddings in pure white dress then I have no problems with non-virgin wife. But if she wants De Beer's diamond engagement ring mined from the dead corpses of Leonardo Dicaprio's South African extras which means I am paying full price for my bride, she better have p**** reserved just for me. In summary, I will still 'buy' (i.e. marry). But gimme good discount, please. With worsening global economy, not everyone is getting richer.

But definitely no child from another man! No, no, no! That child was your choice and I will not support you. Women with kid in tow seeking never-married men seems to be a trend nowadays.

Also, most boys in my country get first experience from an older more experienced friend. I understand since I like onee-san big-sister characters best.

But I understand the trouble here because Nagi is not a big sister character... she is definitely a pure love character so that's why it shatters expectations because all the stereotypes are not met exactly.

Comment by Tyrenol
    01:21 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I'm just going to laugh.

I stopped at the image of the male lead looking like a retard. I also stopped at where the tag line says "the guy is useless." I could be fooled with shows like Certain Magical Index, but no more.

The otaku-tachi always seem to throw a fit whenever someone else's penis ruins their otaku dreams of having a waifu. Those who can; need to get out more and have lives before it's too late for them.

Comment by DemonLordShugo
    08:29 16/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Idiots!!
    This is why we sane-otaku keep a low profile

Comment by Chris
    03:57 17/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

It's amusing because, if they hadn't brought up the issue of whether or not she was a virgin, the thought never would have really even come to me.

Haha, not that I really care, but it just goes to show the kind of mania you'd need to get that crazy.

The the maggots should be happy, really. If she had, she at least lost it to someone - anyone, less pathetic than them. Might seem harsh, but come on. Listen to them. It's hilarious.

Comment by Zenga
    23:22 17/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Izit Nagi is virgin is tat important?

10:14 18/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

The otaku culture and their abundance of idiocy(Yes I'll attack them as a collective and generalize all of them!) never ceases to amaze me. I know it probably has been stated over a thousand times in response to this article alone but....

NAGI DOESN'T EXIST LOLOLZ.

Now enjoy your shattered dreams! Maybe they should get out and try to find a real girlfriend?

Comment by tyciol
    14:58 02/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Silly revelation: all fictional characters DO exist. Otherwise we would not be talking about them.

Comment by the atheist one
    01:07 14/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

that “second-hand” wife has no need of a retarded otaku like you all

let her be with the one she like can't you?

that is the least you could do to show your love

Comment by D4RK-PH0ENiX
    15:49 12/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Personally, I don't mind if she's "second-hand". Just give her to me now :3

Comment by Darknemo2000
    21:14 12/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

I think they initally were pissed by this pic

And only later it turned into virgin talks and slut talks out of frustration, since Nagi seemed to completely ignore Jin for the sake of Ozuma (or whatever his name should be spelled).

Oh well, it will probably hurt the author financially but I hope they story itself won't be damaged by this whole fuss.

Comment by tyciol
    14:52 02/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Honestly like, she seems more defiled because she's in love with the creepy guy moreso than if she had sex with someone. Like if she had seduced a shota and abused him, or if she got raped, I could forgive that, but not melting at the sight of a tall dark stranger, regardless of sex.

Comment by Tang
    23:01 19/11/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Ridiculous.

Comment by んーん
    13:47 27/12/2008 # ! Neutral (0)

Didn't during the Medieval time there were alot of pre-arrange marriage and women didn't have much choice, in picking a suitor or a choice of not getting into relationship/married right?

17:39 12/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

This Victorian era bullshit is why I hate otaku/2ch (I don't frequently read any sites that talk about 4ch, so I don't know if this same prudish attitude prevails there as well. Most likely it does.).

They're almost like fundamentalist Muslims or Christians in their shitty sensibilities.

19:15 12/11/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Why not make up your own fantasy girlfriend instead of crying whenever an artist changes something about his _own_ creation. That way, she'll be everything that you want her to be and you will never be disappointed. She can even have a regenerative hymen! Reach for the stars, my friend!

There is something eerie about Otaku behavior as well. It's as if they expect women to be like little dolls that can be customized to suit their needs. It's a good thing that those freaks will never carry on their twisted genes or disturb a poor women with their delusional fantasies.

Comment by charizardpal
    13:40 18/01/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Shana in Shakugan no Shana had a boyfriend too. I was mad...for 10 seconds and then I remembered it was fiction. CHARRR!

04:06 17/05/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

I wonder why girls have to be virgin to be "pure" or "clean"..whatever.. While boys (including all the otakus getting angry over this whole thing) can have (or wish to have) sex with several girls without being a man-whore or becoming "unclean". You otakus probably wish to have sex with some girl/character, or several.. So why can't other girls/characters do the same?
    Also.. If otakus are so damn picky on getting a whife/girl friend that is still virgin, they ether got to hurry the hell up, get out of the house and find one before they lose their virginity, or becoming too "impure" for them. Stop being so damn picky and find a nice girl they can spend their life with, even if shes not a virgin. Or die without ever experiencing sex.. xP
    ~Find it out, before it's too late!~

06:48 23/10/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

>implying otaku will lose their virginity

17:50 09/04/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

"Another interesting point raised is that for a thousand-year-old goddess to be a virgin might just be the more objectionable, though perhaps not to otaku."

the best things in life need time.

Comment by Marcow
    00:33 12/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

Wtf!!
    The Otakus are powerfull and scary , to think they can take down to a company or a mangaka, just for this!
    well I just read the chapter 36, So until about 10 minutes ago I didn`t know anything about this situation!
    I really don`t care much, If she is virgin, for me It`s too sad, how Jin is thrown out of the scene ny Nagi, really sad!!
    Then, What happened with TAKENASHI Eri? Is she sick, Is she died, or Is she hiding? I don`t know what happened so If you can tell me I will thank you, but I don`t think that she doesn`t know the continuation of kannagi, at the least in her mind, so She is in a big trouble, I don`t know how big is the image of kannagi in japan, but remember the otakus are not fans,They are members of a religious order, and TAKENASHI Eri deceived them, because They thougt that they were worshipping a Virginal Goddess, So she gave them a heretic Goddess.

Well I will be waiting, What is going to happen with the future of kannagi and Eri?
    -----
    Joder, Esos Otakus de mierda si que estan locos, y pensar que pueden acabar con la carrera de la mangaka por esa tonteria, bueno la verdad no se que tan poderosa ERA la Influencia de este manga en Japon, pero los otakus son unos fanaticos muy peligrosos, peligrosamente obsesivos, en fin eso pasa cuando creas un manga de chicas virginales y puras y de repente quieres darle un toque de realidad, con algo de drama, la verdad no se que habra pasado con la mangaka, oi que estaba mal de salud ,pero, que la continuacion se lanzaba en Enero y a estas alturas no haya nada de nada, es un mal indicativo, Estara Eri pensando como salvar la historia despues de esta reaccion del publico?,y recuerda cuando Nagi es posesionada por Dios y habla con jin para que salve a nagi, es una señal de que ya la mangaka tenia bien claro el como se iba a desenvolever la historia principal!.
    Y en lo personal insisto yo leo un manga para divertirme un rato, asi que la verdad no me importa para nada que la chica sea virgen o no? y recalcando que ya la gente llego al extremo de pensar en eso!, por Dios es un manga! en fin me parece mucho mas tragico y triste la situacion de Jin en la cual Nagi simplemente lo hace a un lado y lo ignora como si nada, y se lanza a los brazos de su ex, o el oficial no se, y para rematar justo cuando Jin se le iba a confesar.
    Joser!!

02:00 26/10/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So these crazy deprived fools actually think that she is their wife or something? AHAHAHAHAHA. I mean I myself prefer a virgin to one who is not but to go this far for a fictional character and with so little basis is just LOL.

05:52 20/11/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

So not being virgin automatically means the woman is a slut?

Comment by tyciol
    15:04 02/10/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

Yes, you seem to understand.

01:26 15/01/2010 # ! Neutral (0)

Nagi great but I think virgin complainers are missing the point. In manga there are two types of sex idol.The virgin school girl slut (the Marilyn Monroe sailormoon type)and the worldly older woman miss Robinson type. Now it's been revealed that Nagi may be both. She lost her memory and became a sailormoon parody.Now she being revealed as a worldly immortal who knows sex and life .
    Funny the fans are more upset that she's a worldly Robinson type. Than the fact she might be a fallen evil god.And in fact now has become fallen/Evil/demon Dark god eating her old love to regain her power. LOL
    Becoming evil demonic no big deal but losing her virginity 200 hundred years ago is bad? HAHAHAHHAA!

23:07 29/08/2011 # ! Neutral (0)

I hope that statement of Nagi having a "lover" is merely a result of wrong translation. In my language, word used for "lover" means that this person definetely had sex with the discussed one. In original version they could mean a little other thing, such as simply "guy" or "boyfriend" without that kind of relations. And as someone already stated, you can't tell could our understanding of "virginity" be used towards gods of nature or not. And moreover, Nagi is approximately older than 60 (considering that people started to worship her from the beginning of WW2), why the hell do youthink she had to stay innocent all this time? Also, Nagi has split personality, just like Zange/Hakua. Maybe Nagi-goddess just did overcome and get the hold of mind and body of Nagi-spirit and only she was both mentally and physically in love with Ozuma, and not usual tsundere Nagi. Why didn't you think of that? Don't lose heart, guys! What we really have to do is to pray Eri to recover completely and draw Kannagi not monthly, but weekly, as usual.

07:27 11/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

What's funny to me is that this makes the story way more interesting, and makes more sense. As much as people forget, Nagi's a GOD. In fact, part of the really interesting part of the story is how much Jin keeps forgetting she's a god. He gets all flustered by her, gets upset by her antics, and thinks of her more and more as a girl with special powers rather than a god. And he falls in love with that girl. Now, she doesn't exactly help the situation, with her forgetting much of who she exactly is or what she's supposed to be doing and laying a web of intentional and unintentional deception; but there are times where she makes it ever so clear that she's a god, and has godly concerns.

So now, she remembers a lot of who she is and what she is and what she did, along with an important part of her history. That's interesting. It's interesting that her former lover was a god of corruption, and very interesting that she feels she needs to join him. Way more interesting than her being a pure nature goddess who loves this one boy with all of her heart.
    I mean, this isn't high literature, but it's an interesting twist. I ask anyone how it could possibly NOT be pathetic to get upset that a fictional thousand year old god in a polytheistic world has had prior relationships. Honestly, is there any way that it isn't just deeply and pitifully pathetic?

Comment by trollpanties
    12:51 10/08/2009 # ! Neutral (0)

if i fall to this level of otakuism , please kindly put me down with any available tool (shotgun , hammer , chainsaw or angry kitten )